Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i believe one of the movies had a seastone bullet but, well,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
new crewmembers cant be a thing anymore because 3D2Y already happened

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

tsob posted:

Jinbe joined after that, so that arbitrary cut off point is already worthless.

its far from arbitrary and jinbe was introduced before it

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

tsob posted:

The arc where he joined is still after it.

hes an edge case and the only new member i would accept

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Star Platinum posted:

Can anyone elaborate on the ~magical significance~ of 3D2Y preventing people from joining because I must have missed it

also lol @ jinbei being in danger of being "overshadowed", maybe that wouldn't be a problem if he wasn't such a boring motherfucker

everyone in the crew went through a 2 year training blitz that further accentuated their particular character traits, anyone new would lack that development and generally feel less "official." everyone dedicated a good portion of their lives to making themselves more capable of helping their captain fulfill his dream. any new crewmembers bar jinbe, whos gone through similar stuff, would be lacking that extremely specific motivation

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Star Platinum posted:

Oh so it's an arbitrary distinction based on a subjective opinion and not something that was actually implied in the story. Got it

thats not what arbitrary means guy.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

tsob posted:

Arbitrary means based on personal whim, which your reason is. You might think it logical, but Oda doesn't and already invalidated it. Nor is there any logical reason it should be so in the story despite your reason. So it is arbitrary.

nah youre just telling me im wrong cuz you dont like me

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
ehhhh its all pretty pointless semantics anyway. but imo a crewmember must be asked by luffy to join the crew, since its basically his family. last time he did that was i believe to a farting pair of legs in punk hazard. im doubting that theres room, narratively, to insert characters into the primary straw hat crew on a permanent basis. it seems pretty flawlessly well-rounded, with each member having an enormous amount of pathos, ethos and evolution. and as falsifiable as this next statement may be, i believe we're more than halfway through the story. so yeah. i dont think there will be any more permanent additions to the crew.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
we'll see

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
chopper is The Cute One

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

Having stopped really reading the manga at the start of fishman island, but having started to catch up recently I have once again been stumped in understanding the Celestial Dragons. As in do they actually provide anything to the world government or are they just simply the most obvious sign of just how messed up the government really is?

does the bourgeoisie ever provide anything?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
what if she joins the straw hat fleet because the cake is so good

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
kaido is going to get totally owned somehow and its going to put the straw hats at the top of everyones list of people to deal with immediately

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i figured aokiji actually took a permanent injury and had to rebuild part of his body with ice? and now his ear and shoulder are just ice? didnt this happen?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

AkumaHokoru posted:

it was from fighting with akainu

oh yeah....punkuu hazardo

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

I feel like if she and vergo weren't super dead we would have gotten a cover arc by now

vergo was wasted

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

No Wave posted:

I forgot that he saved everyone from certain doom by making a spooky face. Maybe I wish I hadn't remembered it.

you suck dude

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
guess he ate a rubber fruit and now hes a rubber man. la di da

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

No Wave posted:

monkey cheese should foil all of the bad guys' plots XD ha ha ha

die

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Mulderman posted:

It's the moon.

it probably is

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

Do we actually have confirmation that Roger was a normal human? Maybe he was a Three-Eye, and the reason Ace wasn't a Three-Eye is that Rouge was a One-Eye. After all, we never actually get a good look at Rouge's face in the manga.

(OK, it's not very likely, but it amuses me. A slightly less silly version of this theory is that Roger was a half-Three-Eye like Pudding, and thus Ace was only a quarter-Three-Eye.)

is ace rogers son? i dont think so

e: nvm thinking of shanks

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Cheapsteaks posted:

Ace's death, and the entire first half of One Piece...

is Luffy's tragic backstory.

ya

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Hate-Senpai posted:

Addicts never work about their next fix, just their current one.

drat......

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

lol

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It's just weird that Brook's motivation is checking in on a ship's pet that no reader of the series had thought or particularly cared about for years, when everyone else gets a big, grandiose goal that could benefit the world or represent the peak of personal achievement, and Brook himself already has his musical skill to fit into that neatly.

i think about laboon every day

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i dont understand the big hat.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
really curious about the Big Hat

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
its the opposite of a voodoo doll maybe

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
alien hat maybe?????

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
irl early 20th century straw hats were worn only in the summer and you would get the poo poo kicked out of you if you wore one after mid september https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_Hat_Riot

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
not sure what this means because idk what the months are in one piece

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I don't think months matter in One Piece since Grand Line islands can have one constant season and the weather off-island is crazypants.

one piece is on a planet and has time tho. so its got months. maybe its years are super long and were approaching the first september 15th in a lifetime

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

hell astro course posted:

I'm still thinking about the hat...

I think the hat might be a hat that ate the hat hat fruit... and is supposed to be the crown... but it can change the shape to any hat. The fact that the hat is how a straw hat is a portent that Luffy will change the world. That's my current hat theory.

haha cool idea, i like it

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
zoro was cucking mihawk

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the numerology theory is undeniable because theres no other explanation for the theming of the paw paw fruit and its powers

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Jimbot posted:

I simply asked because I find the name "Boruto" to be one of the dumbest and funniest loving things so I had to know how Naruto ended with such a genius writing it. Seriously "Boruto" is the kind of childish insult you'd hurl at Naruto fans. "Naruto? More like BORuto! Because it's so boring!" It was like he was taking the piss because he had to create another series to keep that sweet cash coming in.

Goodness helps us if Oda becomes a hack like that. So far he seems to have a firm grasp on things and the only thing that really slips is women take a back seat in fights and, well, he got really bad/pandering/perverted with their designs. (Well, on top of the depiction of trans and gay characters being terrible, but those never)

naruto and boruto are japanese pronunciations of the names nart and bort

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
a davy back fight is absolutely going to be some kind of super critical plot point in the future

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

oddium posted:

D: Oda-sensei, hello. In regards to Sanji, I feel that he looks like Leonardo DiCaprio-san from the western movie, "Romeo and Juliet". My friends say I'm dead wrong. Is Sanji's appearance based on someone in particular?? P.N. Noel

O: People used to guess DiCaprio a lot, in the past. But the truth is that Sanji has a much more unusual model. I might not go as far as to say "model", but I hoped to have a bit of this person's vibes come through. It's Steve Buscemi, as he appeared in the movie "Reservoir Dogs". Cool, huh? Someone at Bandai was the only one to guess correctly, a while back.

lmfao

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Please keep your politics out of One Piece, the comic about evil government run by elites specifically to keep the rich in absolute power.

sometimes i cant believe how flawless one piece really is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
every yonkou is goinng to team up and luffy will add them to his crew in a big davy back fight