Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I can't get over Dressrosa now having a statue of Usopp Face :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Let me tell you I feel so loving gratified

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

It's been forever since I read Skypiea but I remember thinking the snake was totally rad.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Maybe Duval is actually the prince and people still have him confused with Sanji

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I'm pretty sure that when the minks say that Sanji can't return it's just because of Zou so he has no reliable way to find it again.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Astro Ambulance posted:

Specifically, Brook is 8'8", and pre-timeskip was 88 years old.

because pianos

God drat it Oda

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Jose posted:

the elephant has been around for a ludicrously long time so i hope it sinks Jack like it would anyone who directly attacks it

It just sucks up a bunch of seawater in its trunk and hoses Jack down, disabling him.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Pretty sure, yeah. Doesn't make it any less funny though.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

One Piece Manga Thread 13: drat that's a fine elephant

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Oh my god it's like a murderous Disney movie

too bad it won't get animated as such :smith:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

EatinCake posted:

It's curious to me that they haven't really established why Shanks is a Yonko. He doesn't seem to have territory, folks sworn to him, or any other real super power outside of being 'known as very strong'.

It's true that we don't really know what he has been up to but frankly we are only just learning what the Yonko are up to at all so we will probably get there!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Gol D Roger's fruit was the Treasure Treasure fruit, which Vegapunk helped him separate and he hid it on Raftel and that's how all his treasure is in One Piece

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Roger ate the Human Human fruit, model: Pirate and became a Pirate Man

E: actually if it were in like the first 5 years of One Piece I could see it being something this silly

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Luffy's Awakened Form is going to be the murder super ball from Men in Black

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Gyges posted:

Sanji has something to do here on his own since he hasn't even tried to escape. The bomb bracelets and threatening Zeff are just things making him more angry. Zeff is a legitimate badass on his own, so I doubt Sanji is too worried about an attempt on his life other than the amount the threat itself pisses him off.

I'd love it if QuantaStarFire's idea about replaying the Krieg attack on Baratie was done with Garp in the place of Luffy though.

Garp just whipping haki-infused loaves of bread left and right and Zeff yelling at him for wasting food

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

sanji's just a late bloomer

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

...so if Luffy eats enough and then uses Gear 4th he becomes non-Newtonian?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Everybody getting really powerful scenes.

This is a really, really good arc.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Blackbeard is Luffy's hosed up uncle that no one talks about

Garp is really bad at raising kids y'all

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

BrownClown posted:

From the sounds of it, Sanji will never be able to develop the physical traits of his brothers because of what his mom did. No crazy power up for him. Which I like.

I'm really digging this arc. Oda's making up for the weak start Sanji had after the timeskip.

He's still one of the three strongest Straw Hats and I'm super looking forward to him finally getting some good kicks in on his dad.

Luffy or somebody can punch the brothers, they're not really important.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

anime was right posted:

the most luffy thing that could happen is he goes on a stealth mission everyone thinks he shouldn't even bother with because its too dangerous and then comes back and casually mentions he defeated a yonko.

In a flashback it's realized that he beat Shanks at an eating contest

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Eagerly anticipating Team Bropper showing up at exactly the worst best time.

Bropper finally escapes a mirror, falls onto Charlotte's head and gives her a mild concussion

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I mean it's possible this could end with the Strawhats not actually beating Big Mom herself but rather just screwing up all her plans and escaping with Sanji and the Poneglyph. She might be strong still but they would have humiliated her (again).

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Piriwi posted:

I always assumed the strawhats are similar to the crews of Shanks and Rogers. One is an emperor and the other was the pirate king... No reason why the strawhats wouldn't be able to reach that level of accomplishment. The entire grand line is pretty much a race where you either continously get stronger or get defeated/give up.

I do expect the strawhats to eventually leave on good terms with big mom. She's evil but in a childish way...

After what she planned to do to Sanji? No way.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

RealFoxy posted:

Kizaru seems like he should have a really broken fruit ability, but like Mihawk seemed to be just phoning it in. That, or Oda didn't know to what extent Haki would play at the time.

Kizaru has a really strong ability but he himself is kinda dumb.

Someone in a previous thread make a joke about the guy who moves at the speed of light being really slow.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Bisoromi Bear is the best translation because it so perfectly manages to translate the one part of it that was just meant to be directly transliterated

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

iirc it was stated at ine point that all the Yonko were active during Rogers time. Hell whitebeard is supposed to have been an established pirate before Roger even started, by the way he talked about him.

I know Whitebeard was around because I remember a flashback of him talking to Roger where Roger lamented that people were turning Gol D into Gold and Whitebeard asked him what "D" was

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

The issue is that there are evidently a ton of different words in English that are appropriate translations because our dumb language is almost excessively contextual

a good example is the sheer number of words that have some context where it means loving

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Angry Lobster posted:

Is time for the devil fruits=nanomachines argument again?

DON'T MESS WITH THIS PIRATE

NANOMACHINES, SON

E: MY NAKAMA IS AUGMENTED

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Luffy gonna grab big mom's hand and make her spin the wheel

e: One Piece, guest writer Hirohiko Araki

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I predict that, upon discovering Sanjis missing, Big Mom uses a stand-in for him, only for him to burst in and shout I OBJECT

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Ahaha Brook really was hiding them in his skull

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

Oda's true talent is making characters so likable so when you get to poo poo like this or Enie's Lobby or Drum Island it makes the supremely badass poo poo so much more awesome. Making a cool fight scene is one thing, making it hype as hell because the crew is so loving lovable and you want them to stand tall forever is entirely another.

That's also why Luffy absolutely leveling that fat Celestial Dragon is one of the single most satisfying moments in any comic ever. You have Hatchen who went from a henchman for one of the worst villains in the series to being an honorable and heartbreaking character and then you have this fat piece of dogshit laughing about shooting him.

Luffy annihilating that guy was so loving good.

It's legitimately amazing how OP continues to be so loving good while the other members of the Big Three sort of fizzled out by the end.

I think that's because he really builds things like this to be high points, not the fights. For months we have been waiting, not for Luffy to punch Big Mom in the big face, but for Sanji to accept his friend's help.

Like the fights are gonna be hella good tho, but this is what actually sells them. Without all this you end up with stuff like the later Naruto and Bleach fights where you barely know who these people are or why they're fighting.

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 17, 2017

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

Bon Clay is gonna join the crew at some point and ya'll can gently caress off if you think otherwise :colbert:

He's going to activate Impel Down's secret boat mode and Luffy is gonna think it's really really cool.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Wait did Doflamingo not know what happened to Moria? I thought offered to help Moria disappear for his own ends and then lied to the WG.

...I mean I guess I could just read Impel Down/Marineford again.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Maybe it's a potential thing, like anyone who is capable of learning Conquerer is capable of learning Armament or Observation, but not vice versa.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Luffy probably gonna flip the gently caress out inside Bege over that whole Pekoms thing

Also, I'm the one shark that had a knife and fork in that panel

E: bege->vegetarian, thx phone

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Gyges posted:

More like wants to "stealth" "infiltrate" a huge party and punch some faces that have been begging for it. Also help out Sanji and his nice sister.

Bege is going to be treading a very fine line in this team up. Woe unto him if he wrecks up some really sweet party treats.

Also odds are really good that Luffy stops to eat wedding cake in the middle of, or before, the fight. Just a big ol' bite out of the whole thing.

Luffy arrives by eating his way out of the cake

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Look I think we are all in agreement that the cake has the worst chances of survival in the coming chaos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I want to call Sanji fighting Big Mom to save his family and Luffy holding off the Germa to give him a chance.