Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I really enjoyed Dressrosa, but I really like Law and enjoyed Luffy's adventures in basically loving around by himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the crew running around with the giant kids and had their bodies switched is where I realized I'd finally had enough and read the manga

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Brook has been getting poo poo done lately

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

TheLoneStar posted:

I kind of hope Oda has the answer to all the main questions of the series locked up in a vault somewhere, just in case.

wasn't there a story about Oda telling a terminally ill kid the ending to One Piece?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

do y'all remember when it was special that Ichigo showed up with the cat lady's special flying cape and then later everyone flies like it's no big deal

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the fact that you have to skip to like five minutes in to get to the actual episode is madness

that's a lot of ads on Hulu!!

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

does Shaman King turn bad? I only remember watching the cartoon as a kid

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I just read the Davy Back fight.... what's up with the power of the blacks

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

This is the same fan translation community that didn't feel like doing proper work on a single word and left it untranslated and ruined the fanbase for like 16 years.

I've been reading through on one site and haven't seen any egregious stuff like that it also seems to switch between scanlation teams every other chapter

grieving for Gandalf fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 17, 2018

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

TheLoneStar posted:

What word would that be?

isn't One Piece the one where they're weird about "nakama"? I'm so impressed I've only seen it once, also in the Davy Back fight

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

is "-gozaru" a samurai thing?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I can't believe One Piece made me sad by making their ship talk

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

lowercase16 posted:

I was so excited, but it's the dub...

I know a lot of people like the dub, but we've been sub-only for years and everyone just sounds WRONG. Except maybe Brook.

Is there a way to get the subbed version anywhere?

last I remember, it's on Hulu

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I keep trying to guess what could have happened beyong "horrible weapons, maybe nuke metaphors, being used to subjugate the world" but I know I can't nearly guess how dramatic Oda will make it

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Oda deadass married a Nami cosplayer, huh

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I extremely respect Oda for just being loud and proud about loving big titties

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I love the okamas because I started One Piece in the middle of the Impel Down arc and thought Ivankov and his crew were so funny and so cool because they're the heroes

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

RealFoxy posted:

The Okama have been some of the most upstanding people in the whole series who just crave total anarchy. Sanji's reaction to them might be cruel but that's still within Sanji's character. Luffy adores Bon Clay and Ivankov, with Bon Clay being his closest friend outside of his brothers and the early crew members like Ussop, Nami, and Zoro. Ivankov is what, second to Dragon in the Revolutionary Army? Saying that trans people are portrayed negatively in One Piece might just be nit-picking the negatives and completely ignoring the positives. If you look at the positives this is probably the best trans people have ever been represented in major Japanese media, ever.

Ivankov is one of the most powerful people in the world politically and his power literally makes transitions happen by magic! he's a trans icon!

also I don't believe Bon Clay died and I will sob as hard as Luffy when we find him again

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I feel like with the introduction of Smile users and Vegapunk's Fakes, we're gonna end up getting an origin on Devil Fruits that I've never considered wanting

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Kaido will know Oars and join the armada

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Luffy is going to have saved the world at the end of this story and not actually cared at all to have done so

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Robin's go-to move is growing arms on people and breaking their necks

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

carrot and jinbei are strawhats

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

Wasn't there a manga where they go forward into time to fight the main character's future self who became a huge rear end in a top hat?

is this what happens in Hitman Reborn

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I want the rabbit to join

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Sanji was presented as being very capable when he was introduced, not sure how you'd get that he was Usopp-level

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I can't believe people would want to read what happens on their own

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

TheLoneStar posted:

I know, right? Next people are gonna tell me Luffy's gonna stretch in the next chapter. Can you believe it?

the chapter title and that spoiler implies they actually have a minute to talk about it and do some duking it out

the whole point of the last chapter stopping right where it did is that we don't know if they'll actually fight NOW or not

it's not unreasonable

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

TheLoneStar posted:

Now that I know Luffy has told his opponent his dream, which he does to virtually every main enemy of every arc since day one, this next chapter is just ruined for me.

take the L and don't do it again

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

can't wait for next week when that one guy reads the spoilers ahead of time and tells us he's in jail, and when we complain, goes, "wow, you act like Luffy hasn't been put in jail like five times before"

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Arist.... is in the right

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Bon Clay is one of my favorite characters. love that goofy man

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Bon Clay is a man who knows a woman's struggles. that is why he's so powerful

my first experience with One Piece was watching the Impel Down arc with my best friend and I absolutely loved Bon Clay, Ivankov, and his followers

it somehow doesn't feel problematic that the queer people all have a "paradise" in superprison because they're written so genuinely and are so key in Luffy's breakout

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

scary ghost dog posted:

thats why i dont have a problem with okama island. sure they are drawn as hideous caricatures and sanjis behavior is both rude and bigoted, but.....uh.........

okama island is such a step back from the literal gay hangout in prison and it's really weird

Sanji feels like where a lot of tropes meant to appeal to readers of poor taste are written

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Injuryprone posted:

Lmao

Do you mean, maybe, children?

I mean like, people who find bad homophobic humor funny

please don't try to write me into a corner of trying to take a comic for children too seriously, that poo poo don't work on me

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Goku fucks

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

what does Luffy do after he achieves his goal?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Snazzy Frocks posted:

honestly, never knowing is worse than knowing

just learning the ending without reading it to that point would be a boring story!!!

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

guess which arc of OP I saw first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

What about your okama nakama?

Bon Clay lives and will join the Armada