Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoB
May 1, 2009

alkanphel posted:

Oda: Uh... One Piece isn't that deep of a story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009

Veskit posted:

I hope the next arc involves Luffy fighting on a loving boat. I miss when water was a threat.

You mean like during the Fishmen Island arc? Where he was literally surrounded by water.

KoB
May 1, 2009

lowercase16 posted:

Zoro
Before Flashback - No parents. What happened to them? Was he living in that dojo? Actually, come to think of it, Zoro might have parents. It'd be a great gag later to find out that Zoro has a doting mother and father back home who just want their precious baby boy to be happy.
After Flashback - Zoro had to have some adventures on his own to have already made a name for himself as a bounty hunter. Who did he take down? Mightn't they want revenge?

Oda had originally said that if someone had a last name, their family name would be important later on.

But that was like 20 years ago so maybe he dropped it.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I realized that there are now more former Shichibukia than current ones.

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="450641918"]
Who says there aren't? Sogeking could have just not gotten updated since he's been mia since Enies Lobby.

Are you trying to say that Bart wouldnt have it :colbert:

KoB
May 1, 2009
zoro is cool because he fights dudes and then puts on his rad bandeezy and lays them out.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Guys without powers are cool and get cool nicknames like Garp "The Fist".

KoB
May 1, 2009
He only ever acts gentlemanly to impress women.

KoB
May 1, 2009

oddium posted:

do you people not know what a mink is

Also Bepo was confirmed to just be a bear.

Like Papugg is just a starfish.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Crazyeyes posted:

It's called the Worf Effect.

Sabo is the 2nd in command of the Revolutionary Army, of course hes insanely strong. And now hes a Logia.

KoB
May 1, 2009
The one to finally take down Akainu is obviously Sabo. Like, come on. Its like you've never seen shonen before.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Crazy theory: Luffy's straw hat belonged to Shanks.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Space-Bird posted:

Yeah I know what you mean. One piece certainly is less generically 'anime' looking than other series. I remember knowing people who were turned off by the art style... Which is kind of bonkers, since on a technical level it's probably one of the best weekly manga out there. (The anime on the other hand..... Well... That's why there is a manga thread and an anime thread I suppose)

My roommate wont give it a chance because he cant get into the art style and says theres too many episodes. He watches every titty show of the season though!

KoB
May 1, 2009
Usopp
Luffy
Zoro
Sanji
Franky/Chopper
Brook/Robin
Usopp/Nami

KoB
May 1, 2009
Zolo

KoB
May 1, 2009
I hope they get to Vegapunk and are like "we gotta know about devil fruits" and hes just like idk I just found them arent they cool?? Check out this sweet robot I made.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Shes even got long wavy hair like Nami. Thats totally nami. Monkey thing was Chopper.

Probably a minkman that has a DF ability to turn people into minkmen.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

This is definitely giving off a Skypiea vibe right off the bat, including them apparently walking right into the middle of a tribal warzone right from the word go.

Dressrosa was Alabasta, Zou is Skypiea, Wano will be Water 7.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Gumbercules posted:

I wonder why they think the Strawhat B crew is dead; maybe they just saw Brooke?

Doesnt explain them stealing Nami's clothes. But this will probably be part of it.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Happy Happyist posted:

Well, D's seem to have bad short-term memory. The Monkey family anyway. Law's dead-pan delivery about everything was pretty funny to me in this chapter.

Also, I wonder if Chopper's going to have an identity crisis because of all these other talking animals.

We've already seen that Nami has different clothes on, I'm not sure what you all are freaking out about.

No one is freaking out. Not one single person in the entirety of the world thinks Oda would kill off half the crew.

KoB
May 1, 2009

frajaq posted:

not worth saving

ummm, mods?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Spanish Matlock posted:

So a ferret then.

Or, I dont know, a mink?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Baller as poo poo.

that fuckin cat

KoB
May 1, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

Jack's bounty is 1 BILLION? So how high are the Four Emperors' bounties?

man Crocodile was small time.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

Would they even let him chum around with them, after everything he's done?

Weirdly enough, precedent suggests the answer might be yes. Remember when Mr. 2, disguised as Cobra, ordered the shooting of civilians? Remember Suleiman, who was explicitly a notorious war criminal, joining the Straw Hat Grand Fleet under Cavendish? Remember when Hancock petrified her underlings and only turned them back because she was in love with Luffy? Even Law had a "nasty reputation" according to Apoo, as did Bartolomeo according to the Colosseum announcer, though it neither case is there explicit evidence that the reputation was earned.

Robin was literally an assassin. Franky ran a gang of thugs that beat people half to death.

KoB
May 1, 2009
One Piece is a Metal Gear.

Kept you waiting, huh?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Last Celebration posted:

Everyone but Luffy's been doing that since Skypeia, to be fair. And even he changes his sleeveless shirts, it's just easy to forget since it's a black and white comic.

Luffy gets a different shirt and shorts regularly as well. I know in Enis Lobby his shorts are black instead of blue.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I know we defeated literally 100000 fishmen but we're now surrounded by like 10 dudes better just give up.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Spidder posted:

Doesn't look like a fight a that can be won.

This has never been a problem for them before.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Im guessing Sanji decided he didnt want to kill people and ran off/was exiled.

KoB
May 1, 2009

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Something I was thinking about earlier, Sanji shouldn't feel bad about hiding his past from the rest of the SH crew because nearly all of them have done it.

Luffy never told his crew about the fact that he had an adopted brother who is Gold Roger's son (even though he told a ship of strangers/former enemies), or that his grandfather was a famous high ranking marine.

Zoro has never said anything about his family.

Nami was introduced to the crew as a spy for the Arlong Pirates. We also don't know anything about her past pre-Bellamere (I've always thought there was some backstory to Nami's weather reading ability).

Robin didn't tell anyone about her backstory until they had CP9 breathing down their necks.

Franky's parents were pirates, which you know is gonna come up again sooner or later (why mention it otherwise).

Brook hasn't said anything about his life pre-Rumbar pirates, except for that he was some sort of military officer in a certain kingdom, you know that's gonna come up at some point.

The only people who have been 100% honest about their pasts are Chopper and (surprisingly) Usopp.

Luffy didnt really know who "Garp the Hero" really was. To him, Garp was just some marine.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Work Friend Keven posted:

If buggy awakened his devil fruit he would be able to deconstruct ideas via the application of critical theory & show that the opposite reading is true.

Buggy is Oda.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Croc is still the best villain imo.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Favorite parts of the chapter were Luffy's face and everyone gettin all hyped up to protect Robin.

Aint no one taking Robin again :colbert:

KoB
May 1, 2009

The Lord of Hats posted:

What kind of god-tier pull does Shanks have to be able to just walk up to Marineford and make the fighting just stop? Even Fleet Admiral Sengoku just says "Well, since it's you, Shanks, I'll not only order the fighting over but also let you guys retrieve the corpses of the guys that were the whole reason this giant island-ruining war was fought". Blackbeard just goes "Well, I may have two of the most powerful Devil Fruits out there, but I don't think I'm ready to deal with these guys with guns yet".

I mean, I'm not complaining, it's awesome, but whaaaaaaaa?

"After fighting the biggest group of badasses in the world we cant afford to fight a second war against the other strongest group of baddasses.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Theres no way that Brook can get through this arc without some sort of Soul King joke.

KoB
May 1, 2009

OldTennisCourt posted:

So do villains manage to get cooler than Sir "Bad Motherfucker" Crocodile? He might be one of my favorite villains ever, his look of utter "Whatever" when dealing with heroes was the best, oh and his power was cool as hell.

Croc is probably still my favorite but hes one of my favorite villains ever.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I hope Luffy and co have big fights with Big Mam & crew, and when theyve won Germa shows up being like "we can kill you all since youre all tired and hurt" and then Sanji just wipes the floor with his whole family.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Green Intern posted:

Usopp ate the Dream-Dream Fruit, which lets the user make dreams come true.

Since the ability is so powerful, it takes a while to take effect.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I kinda hope his brothers go to destroy Baratie and Zeff just wrecks them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009

Law Cheetah posted:

its basically ki

a lot of people in this thread have been obsessed with the idea of it being some kinda willpower thing but its not really

Thats because in OP its basically the same thing.

OldTennisCourt posted:

So I just finished Enie's Lobby.

This might be favorite storyline of any comic I've ever read. So many amazing moments, awesome villains. One badass baddy in Lucci and one utterly hatable piece of poo poo in Spandam (Robin busting his back was incredibly satisfying."

My only real complaint was the Kalifa fight seemed like pure unadulterated fanservice. Though in fairness she has an interesting power and it's like the fanservice was integrated into the fight and wasn't just weird poo poo.

One Piece owns really really really hard guys.

Is the next arc just as good?

Enis Lobby is satisfying narratively, emotionally, etc but the next arc is just a ton of fun.