Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

One Piece is a comic for children and I didn't like how Luffy was the only strawhat for like a hundred chapters and also I didn't care about Ace or the buttload of tertiary characters that were added.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

The Bleach fight that is Tite Kubo practicing hand gestures is more interesting than post timeskip One Piece.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

Stairmaster posted:

Baal is my friend.

Stairmaster posted:

dare i say nakama

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

Baal posted:

AB, what'd you have for lunch today

Beef broccoli and lomein straight from the bag and an Arizona tea. A paltry lunch.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

Baal posted:

I think scans around the time of Davey Back Fight were more terrible than they are now? What exactly did Usopp say?

Zorak would know cuz he had to repeat it about a million times.

Bad Seafood posted:

I forgot how badly Sanji gets messed up in his fight with Gin.

I always liked the Baratie Arc my first time through but I'm liking it even more on a reread. It's pretty fun to see Oda establishing an obvious formula in the previous arcs only to totally go sideways here.

I'm still holding out that Gin and Kuro will come back in a big way. I've got a real soft spot for early villains.

Also did you know that One Piece has a lot of crap you can buy??? I collect POP figures.

Bobobo should be in OP.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

Baal posted:

I'm sorry I'm not Zorak, AB. I can't be who you want me to be.

I'd rather you not be Zorak anyway. As far as 2008-2011 super stern mods went he wasn't bad yet i sure never exchanged any friendly jokes with the fella.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

These are clearly terrible scans, but if it's even close to the kernel of truth of the original then uhhhhhhhhh

And yeah yeah I know Japan pulls this poo poo a lot and is more racially homogeneous and blahblah but I usually read intelligent seinen series that don't have that sorta poo poo. :shrug: I mean, Killer Bee is better than this
Turning into an...interesting reread...

Drawn by One Punch Man guy

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Yeah me too, I liked Kuro a lot, it's kind of surprising neither he nor Gin got cover story "what happened after" arcs, though I guess they were more minor and early on...and Gin probably died of toxic gas or something.

Kuro would be really cool with mantra/haki

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

Bad Seafood posted:

I'd also say one of Kuro's strengths is that he poses the first real "Serious" threat in the story. Morgan's physically imposing but not much to write home about, Buggy's a buffoon, and people forget Alvida exists. Then Kuro shows up calm and collected with murder on his mind and everyone on his hit list.

Also, this is a little thing, but I really liked the weird way he pushed up his glasses. Having a character constantly adjusting their glasses is such a well-worn trait in Japanese comics and animation that it's almost invisible, even when you do it the way Kuro does. Even with the reveal it still just seems like an odd quirk of his until he puts on the gloves and then it all clicks.

Kuro is arguably the scariest character in the whole series ignoring scale of threat and abilities. Being the only guy without a comedic quirk must have something to do with it.

The balls on Usopp to stand up to him alone must be huge.

anime was right posted:

that was the first moment where you could tell oda put more thought into his characters and their motivations than like, any other shounen author

Yeah the other big 3 just have generic overpowered crazy mans.

Baal posted:

Kuro was such a good fuckin villain and then Arlong happened and it was just kept getting better.

When Luffy breaks his nose

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

I like Boa's haughtiness and it's a shame she became just another Luffy groupie.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

Elemental users are by far the least interesting to me. Getting blasted with ice or fire or sand is all kind of the same. Zoans are more of a mixed bag but springs and rubber and being dead are the most creative.

Super strong guy works best with a whacky ability like holding 3 swords or using your nose hairs.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

Romona Zolo has always been the king of cool.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

Gyges posted:

Namor being a mutant Atlantean doesn't actually have anything to do with him being different from non-mutant Atlantean Aqua Man.

Counterpoint: Namor has little ankle wings.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

Zoro fights with a sword in his mouth. I do wish they would show him swinging it instead of keeping it horizontal all the time. In 800 chapters it's only served as decoration during a finishing stance.

When I was a kid I wanted him to just be a cool sword guy and now I want him to be whackier.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

Tolth posted:

You're building up a manga tolerance man, you need to cut back. This is how it goes downhill.

I'd draw my own better comic if I wasn't so easily frustrated.

The best balanced character between flaws and strengths of power is Buggy. His power is kinda weak on its own and he's the one guy who really misses swimming.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

We can agree that unstoppable bird cage attacks are dumb, right? While I'm at it, Law cutting the mountain in half was also a load of BULLSHIT and Vergo was a great Strong Man fighter.

e; Pink is my favorite Mingoman just cuz his backstory is so terrible.

Amorphous Blob fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 29, 2015

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

I'll never forget when someone suggested Oda brutally kill off Sanji with a blink and you miss it attack to amp up the tension.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Spoilers for 802 starting to come out:

[
Uh... :wtc: This has strong Fakehats/Brownbeard vibes IMO. Otherwise, this is totally out of left-field.

Yeah this doesn't add up at all. lol maybe WB became a surrogate father to his crew cuz his real son was so lame.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

How do you even remember that guy?

I was wrong. Junior is great and so is his momma. Law seeing Ussop as badass enough to go by "god" is hilarious. Elephant land looks amazing and kinda like something out of Toriko.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

Minky d luffy

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

Can Ussop use haki? I kinda hope he can't.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

i forgot

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

Bad Seafood posted:

I've heard he's a chainsmoker. Dunno if it's true.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

Final boss will be Akira D Nobunaga, the man who lives in One Piece that gets introduced right at the end and one shots BB to show how SERIOUS it's about to get. He has six pack abs and does not smile and also he invented haki and the sharingan.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

Mraagvpeine posted:

I remember years ago some friends were saying Bleach was ripping off Yu Yu Hakusho and someone tried to compare Ichigo with Yusuke. I don't remember the points he made though.

I always thought they were really similar at their core. Teenaged punk dies to solve mysteries and deal with ghosts.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

If Zoro ate even the lamest fruit he'd be straight better than Luffy and he could have totally kicked mingos rear end.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

He's saving them for when my favorite character, Akira D Nobunaga, the inventor of the sharingan and haki, reveals himself as Doflamingos father.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

You know I'm starting to think Zoro hasn't been taking things seriously at ALL post timeskip. He didn't even notice all the drama and destruction in Dressrosa. He was just like "ah that rock giant was a good fight. I bet that blind guy would be too."

I'm thinking Mihawk helped him get a lot stronger than Oda is letting on.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

Nami>Usopp>Franky>Zoro>Luffy>Sanji>Chopper>Robin>Brook

Also I just realised that Usopp is not a liar because of his nose, but arrogant. That he is a storyteller has nothing to do with Pinocchio or Aesop.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

then why is she so bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

yeah why not