Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I liked Dressrosa, I hope the next arc is a little shorter. One Piece is cool. That's all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Mulderman posted:

While I freaking LOVE the larger arcs. These in between chapters might be the best thing ever.

It's always fun seeing the updates on the status of the world after a big arc finishes. Bounty updates are always a blast. One of the reasons I was so bored with Fishman Island is because we only heard a couple things after the time skip before the crew got embroiled in this really lame, separated conflict. The feast after their victory was so satisfying. The guys meeting Kuzan in Film Z was cool too.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

KoB posted:

I realized that there are now more former Shichibukia than current ones.

The only time there's actually been a full 7 since Crocodile was arrested has been right after the time skip. His spot wasn't filled until Blackbeard joined, but that was around the same time Jinbei quit out of protest. They lost Moriah and Blackbeard right after, putting at 4. At some point during the time skip they restaffed with Law, Buggy, and the unknown 7th, but then Law did his thing to take out Doflamingo, so now they're back down to 5.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

It doesn't really make much sense, since she can hypnotize Luffy by painting his back. How can it have a hypnotic effect if he can't actually see the color?

Luffy's really, really stupid.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

idk I like cool devil fruit powers but I also like it when guys are just powerful badasses (zoro) and I also like it when they're not very strong but still fight good (usopp) or if there's some crazy non-DF gimmick (franky, guys w/weird fighting styles, haki used for more than just powering up an attack or to get past logia powers)

overall I would say One Piece has pretty cool fights.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Vivi owns though????

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Like Vivi's great but I do think not having her join the Straw Hats permanently was the correct decision. Robin's weird quirkiness is a better fit in the long run.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

sharktamer posted:

6 arms vs. 6 legs, one of those has a distinct advantage.

Also, I remember Hachi but I don't remember anything at all about that other guy.

That's because nobody from Fishman Island is worth remembering.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Gyges posted:

Fisher Tiger.

Eh, I don't really count flashback characters. He's great though.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

Yeah, Nami's a proven her worth in several ways. I'm also not against her fighting, per se, the weather staff just feels like a really clunky way to facilitate it. I could see possibly growing acclimated to it with tie, but right now I can't say I care for it at all.

The thing with Nami's fights is that, the few times she's gotten to fight someone one-on-one rather than just clearing out hordes of mooks with localized lightning storms, it's someone who's agile and clever enough to avoid her basic moves (though usually they'll still go down if they get hit by them), so she DOES have to get creative with the clima-tact. It's clunky against Ms. Doublefinger because she has no idea how to use it yet, but when she gets comfortable with using it it's a lot less fiddling with the functions and more implementing them in the right ways.

God I wish Nami would get a fight in the new world at some point.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Observation Haki only lets Usopp bullshit from further away. Leave the other two for Luffy and Zoro. And maybe Sanji.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Skypeia's main problem is the lack of variety in scenery, to me. It goes on a long time, sure, but no particular battle or situation takes an excessive amount of time to resolve aside from the fight with Enel. Also there's like 4 different factions roaming around Upper Yard all getting into conflicts with one another, which is something I'm a huge sucker for, so I'm not as critical of the arc as a lot of people, probably.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Gyges posted:

Outside of Ennis Lobby, there's very little pacing problems coming from the anime itself until you hit whatever your limit is in the stretch of Amazon Lilly to Marineford. That's when the anime decides gently caress it, who cares about quality or enjoyment, I'm just gonna cash these checks and put in the bare minimum.

My feelings on anime arcs pre-Impel Down is biased since that's when I got caught up and I could watch them at my leisure until then. Even watching week to week I didn't feel the sluggishness really detract THAT hard from Impel Down. It was definitely noticeable but I still enjoyed it. Marineford was loving garbage. They clearly had long since said "gently caress it" to any concept of brevity, good pacing, or expedience, but by Marineford they also decided to just forgo quality entirely because it didn't apparently impact the ratings or sales or whatever at all. And seriously, that "large group of guys running" footstep sound they seem to have never changed or added anything to is one of the most grating noises I've ever heard.

tsob posted:

Can someone explain why Blackbeard is assumed to be the final boss out of interest?

[...]

If you negate the assumption that the story has to end at Raftel (which is a silly assumption in and of itself in my opinion), then Akainu seems much more likely to be the series' final antagonist.

It's because Blackbeard's story is similar to Luffy's. They both "stole" Devil Fruits from their "friends" (quotes around stole for Luffy since he didn't realize what he'd done and around friends for Blackbeard since he was never really friends with the Whitebeards). They both have big dreams of being the coolest dude around. They both built up a ton of infamy with small crews (though granted it seems Blackbeard's operation has expanded lately). He's just a massive piece of poo poo.

Akainu has never come across to me as anybody more than a guy who's way too into his job. The Marines said they were going to execute Portgas D. Ace, so he made sure it happened one way or another. Nothing he does seems to be in the interest of anything other than catching and eliminating Pirates and making sure the WG's control doesn't slip. I'm sure if he had absolute control of the WG he'd probably be Final Boss material but he's limited by his position and is still stuck following orders, even as Fleet Admiral. Besides, Blackbeard didn't need that added to his record, he's already done plenty of villainous poo poo. He's the one who caught Ace in the first place, remember? So it's his fault even if he didn't do it himself.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Having been a fan of all three at various points it's pretty simple. Naruto starts out pretty whatever, starts to get cool when it starts introducing more of the other Genin and their cool fighting styles, then starts to poo poo the bed shortly after the time skip when nobody other than Naruto and Sasuke do anything important aside from one or two exceptions like Shikamaru beating Hidan and some of the side characters getting fights during the war arc. Bleach starts off really interesting and cool, then escalates with the Soul Society arc which a ton of people liked a lot (though I've seen plenty of dissenting opinions on that as well) before declining into tedium once the Arrancar show up. It's had some really awesome moments since then but 95% of the time it's just boring and predictable. Kubo is a much better artist than writer.

One Piece on the other hand has managed to stay fairly consistent in its quality, it started off neat and only got more and more awesome as time went on. It's not perfect by any means, but the fact that it's as good as it is after 800 chapters is pretty drat impressive.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Law is great, I don't need to see him in every arc for the rest of the series or anything but I hope he sticks around until this Kaido business is taken care of at least.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Sometimes I hear "nakama" in different anime and it's always translated as friend so that whole deeper meaning argument never really carried much weight to me.

Overuse of swearing is an issue but certain characters, like Bart, are better off being more vulgar. Dude literally took a piss in the middle of a battle royal off the side of the ring. The reason him being a Luffy fanboy was as neat of a twist as it was is because he's introduced as this foul mouthed jackass who's just super abrasive to everyone he interacts with, so we all assumed he'd be another new rival, but then nope. Anyway, Luffy saying "I'll kick that bastard's rear end" is fine, for me, but I will admit when he starts dropping f-bombs that's kind of unwarranted and out of character. It's all a matter of context I guess. Zoro and Sanji arguing and calling each other some kind of name that involves poo poo or gently caress? Sure I can see it. Nami telling them off for it and dropping that same kind of language? Not as easy to picture.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Holy gently caress. I wasn't aware this existed and now I'm super mad this wasn't her final design because it's loving awesome.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I don't want the origins of Devil Fruits to be explained but it would be nice to have some of the mysterious parts of how they work elaborated on. As in like, why can't DF Users swim? What exactly makes eating two so bad? Stuff like that.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I mostly like G8 because it's different, the Straw Hats sneaking through a Marine base is still something that hasn't really happened yet. The closest things have been punching their way through Enies Lobby and Luffy getting into Impel Down. They can't just bust their way through everything because the situation is so heavily stacked against them with the Merry essentially being held hostage and all their Skypeian gold locked in a vault. The fact that they had to sneak around and blend in was cool.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

So does that mean Diable Jambe isn't just Sanji kicking things with fire just because? That's a little disappointing.

God I hope Sanji's superhuman strength and Diable Jambe/Geppou/Haki abilities aren't retconned to be genemods kicking in way late. He should have some sort of blood test or something at some point in the arc that reconfirms that no he's still just a normal guy who got real fuckin' strong.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

verbal enema posted:

In an effort to watch all of One Piece before the year ends

highly recommend switching to the manga by the end of Impel Down at the very absolute latest, because hooooo boy. Marineford is loving unbearable in the anime. It's what finally broke me and made me switch. Not only is the glacial pacing even more apparent than usual, the actual quality loving nosedives and everything looks and sounds like dogshit.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I'm up to Aces death in the Marineford dub watching it three episodes at a time and you are all just a bunch of babies. Marinefrd is great and every episode atleast has one holy poo poo development twist that makes stuff like Buggy's standup filler.

You guys are haters

It's god awful dude. That single clapping footstep sound effect still haunts my dreams. There's one thing that happens in every episode and the rest of the time is filled with mooks charging at named characters and getting blown away by an attack. At least when this exact pattern was used in Impel Down there were only a handful of characters that mattered, but there are so many cool people and smaller skirmishes going on during Marineford and the anime completely botches the frantic chaotic feeling the arc is supposed to have.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I think for me the tipping point is right after Sabaody. Luffy punching Saint Charloss in the face is the last big moment that's really worth sticking with the anime for, and it's loving incredible for sure. But yeah Amazon Lily is about the point where I probably would've switched over if I knew how bad it was going to get.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Mulderman posted:

Also the G-8 arc.

One of the funniest arcs in the entire series.

Condoriano is my favorite Strawhat.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

mabels big day posted:

Sure I might do that. Idk what the bad episodes are though. I'm halfway (?) through the arc where they meet Sanji.

There's a prominent timeskip in the early 500s and by that point it's pretty much gotten unwatchable. My breaking point was the mid-400s but I stuck it out to the timeskip for no particularly good reason. Depending how high your tolerance is it may start to suck as early as the early to mid-200s. Basically just watch it until you think it gets bad and then switch over because most likely it's not going to get better.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

The Good Ending for this arc is most definitely Jinbe coming back and he and Pudding both join the crew. The Neutral Ending would be if the two of them stayed behind as liaisons. Bad Ending is she's evil. Really don't want that to be a thing.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

MHA is refreshing not because it does anything particularly new or different from most shonen, it just executes the well-worn tropes and ideas fantastically. Also, all the side characters are interesting and likeable, and the author's given lots of them time to shine alongside the main cast, which was probably my biggest gripe with Naruto post-timeskip. And the lightning fast pacing helps (though certain parts I kind of wish he'd linger on a bit more, honestly).

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

remember back in arlong park when nami told luffy "please... help me... go gently caress up that oval office arlong"

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

I don't like Zoro fights because he gets sliced/stabbed/cut a thousand and one times and keeps getting back up but the moment he slices his enemy once they get knocked out.

Cue John Cena's entrance music.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I loved Dressrosa. The amount of poo poo going on all at once made it a lot of fun to me, honestly. But I could definitely do with a few arcs of Oda dialing it back for the time being, I don't know if I could handle something else as densely packed as Dressrosa again this soon.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Gyges posted:

I don't know why, but it always gives me a little chuckle when people talk about One Piece being over 20 years old when the only reason more than a single year has passed in story is due to a time skip.

I think the only actual marker of the passage of time we've had that wasn't timeskip related is Coby and Helmeppo looking like completely different characters from the beginning to post-Enies Lobby.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Haki's fine when it's just another thing in Oda's storytelling toolbox, now that it's become less special and important I'm more okay with it. Devil Fruits are still obviously the most pronounced and central power in One Piece but I'd have liked it if Oda introduced a couple more unique ability sets like Rokushiki just for the fun of it.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Jinbei is the coolest

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I love it when side characters stick around for multiple arcs. Been into it since Johnny and Yosaku helped out at Arlong Park. I hope Caesar Gastino is still around long after his usefulness has disappeared.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Roger only hosed once

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I'll be honest, when Bege was introduced on Sabaody he came across as the least likeable of the Supernovas, but as the old saying goes, Oda did it again.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

"Sir we asked our clairvoyant what to expect next but he wouldn't stop screaming."

"Ah. Hmm."

Funny how well One Piece and My Hero Academia lined up this week.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Ryaomon posted:

I always liked Brook because he appealed to a lot of things I love (skeletons and bad puns, mostly) but he never really did much as part of the crew and I'm really glad he gets all these great moments in this arc. He's technically the first Straw Hat to hurt one of the 4 Emperors (not counting Luffy punching Blackbeard in Impel Down).

Referring to Big Mom as "Young Lady" is my favorite.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

One Piece can be kind of a hard sell based on the first couple of arcs but if someone can get through Arlong Park and not be at least partially convinced then they're a hopeless case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

The East Blue Saga brings the first 5 crew members together and sets up the very beginnings of the story and establishes what's to come and what you should sort of expect expect from the goofy characters and stuff like devil fruits and the like, but the Baroque Works Saga is what really kicks the storytelling and worldbuilding into high gear. It's good stuff. And I'm glad you're fond of Usopp, he's my personal favorite.