Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
HOLY poo poo IT'S LUCCI :supaburn:

HOLY poo poo THAT USOPP STATUE :laffo:

HOLY poo poo THAT WAR FORESHADOWING

HOLY poo poo BARTO'S SHIP :staredog:

HOLY poo poo NEW BOUNTIES :zoro:

Allarion posted:

I love One Piece!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Right and he did it for his friend the mermaid princess, tho even motivations aside it's weird to see them afterwards being all uncomfortable with the label hero when they've been celebrated as heroes at feasts before. It's just something you'd think would have come up

Fishman Island was kind of an exception because of the political aspect. Luffy was pumped to punch Hody in the face, but then Jinbei started complicating matters with the hero plan and tried to tell him when and how to punch Hody in the face, and Luffy doesn't much appreciate that kind of complex bullshit even from a friend. Also this was basically half the country openly calling for his help whereas in, say, Alabasta and even Water 7 (where the city itself wasn't really under immediate threat aside from the attempted murder of the mayor) the crew was more of a behind-the-scenes force. I understand where you're coming from and like many things, Oda could have handled that part of Fishman Island better, but I kinda get what he was trying to do.

Boogaleeboo posted:

The ultimate example of Luffy's mindset is Skypiea. After saving two cultures and ending a centuries long war, Luffy turns to his friends after the big party and says "Ok...now lets steal their poo poo and run away!". Of course the joke is the people are in the middle of deciding to give them waaay more gold than the crew ends up taking, but at the end of the day that is who Luffy is. Help people out if it comes up, whatever, just make sure you steal their poo poo and run away. He's never really accepted being a hero, and most people don't call him that to his face. They thank him for saving their <blank> or whatever, but they save the hero talk for themselves. The feasts are just "And all that terrible business is over, now we party!" as far as he's concerned. He's a pirate. He wants to be a pirate, with all that that means. As he says, a hero is a person that goes around giving other people food. Luffy wants all the food for himself. The fact he would probably use a lot of that food to have his cook make a giant feast for everyone is irrelevant.

Haha yeah I was about to make this example too. What a fantastic end to that arc.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Asuron posted:

Actually in the english translated version by Viz I have, the line just says he has a strange body which is probably referring to the fact that his Darkness Fruit made his body stranger than other logia fruits Marco had seen.

Going by the Finnish translation, it's implied that Blackbeard's abnormal condition is somewhat known among the Whitebeard pirates. Marco's line is "as you know, Teach is not quite ordinary... He is built slightly differently than others". Only Teach seemed to recognize the darkness fruit back when the WB crew found it, and they only saw him using its ability for the first time in Marineford, which I think would be too brief a moment for even Marco to make that kind of judgement about its power. I'm fairly convinced that the darkness fruit has something to do with the power stealing ability, but I think it's the combination of "weird body + DF power" that really allows him to do it.

I'm suddenly reminded of the Ace/Blackbeard duel where BB claimed that the darkness ability chose him. Back then I figured it to be a flimsy justification for killing Thatch, but what if it was an actual hint that there's something about Blackbeard that would allow him to use the power to a fuller potential than the average dude could?

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Prison Warden posted:

I don't think Moria has one?

Neither does Crocodile. Kind of funny how "Sir" is apparently his first name because none of the other Warlords are ever addressed with a title. Wouldn't be surprised if that somehow tied into his origin story, like if he was a knight or a nobleman before becoming a pirate.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

I will literally cry tears of joy if this happens. It's such a perfect setup and would be Oda's ultimate masterstroke, I can almost see it happening.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Now I want to see Lucci v Zoro. I can see Zoro win that. And on the other hand how does Luffy handle Mr 1 or Picasa? I'm not at all saying it's impossible but a lot of One Piece is in the matchup. The contrivance is in how Luffy is the one available and with the skillset to fight the boss, not that Luffy's the only punchman who can punchman hard enough to win.

Mr. 1 would have murdered Luffy horribly, he was as tailor-made for Zoro as Enel was for Luffy. I'm also thinking Zoro probably would have lost to Lucci, the latter was an insane hand-to-hand combat powerhouse and Zoro doesn't have the luxury of a rubber body (which wasn't doing even Luffy much good in his fight against Lucci), not to mention the speed to keep up with him.

Like you said, it's all about the skillset and/or opportunity to fight someone, which makes the end of Dressrosa stand out as somewhat less well thought out than all the earlier final battles. Doffy has taken a huge beating whereas Zoro has barely broken a sweat against Pica, they're standing within a confined arena that is getting smaller all the time, and it's either defeat Doffy or everyone dies. I suppose I can begrudgingly accept it as a :zoro: moment where he would rather die than killsteal from his captain, but ehhh...

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Jose posted:

it would be cool if the crew encounter enemies where the leader was a swordsman so that Zoro got the lead fight in an arc

I have high hopes for Wano. I just reread Punk Hazard and there's a lot of cool swordfighting with Kin'emon, and Wano is going to be far enough into the New World that we'll actually see Zoro pushed to his limits.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

I remember reading somewhere Oda promised he'd explain them one day, though I couldn't tell you where. Even if he didn't, other authors have tried to explain the source of their powers to lukewarm reception. When people argue about whether devil fruits are natural or man-made, I don't think it matters too much either way, but I'd rather not sacrifice the mystery.

It was in an SBS somewhere around Enies Lobby/Thriller Bark, he said we'd learn more about Devil Fruits when we meet "a certain scientist". This was almost one decade ago :shepface: though to be fair we did learn SOMETHING during Punk Hazard and Dressrosa.

Aside from Devil Fruit lore what I'm looking forward to most in the Vegapunk arc is the hosed up Kuma cloning vats

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Now that we're complaining about characters being :qq:RUINED:qq:, I reached Alabasta on a reread and I'm once again reminded of how much I miss early Chopper. In the Mr 4/Miss Merrychristmas fight he actually remains relatively cool and competent in comparison to Usopp, which makes them entertaining to watch as a team, whereas I feel like current Chopper would be running around in a panic alongside Usopp. The last genuinely awesome Chopper moment I remember is the fight against Kumadori (which is one of my favorites), after that he's been mostly relegated to scared reaction shots and some token doctory stuff. After Oda removed both his weakness-scoping ability and the rumble ball limitation, I'm sceptical about him getting any proper fights of his own. He's just chilling in the "occasional support role" zone with Robin, Nami and Brook.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
I have faith that Zoro will be cool in the eventual Wano arc. He and Brook had some great little moments with Kin'emon on Punk Hazard.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
God drat, this might be the single greatest moment since, I dunno, the timeskip? This is basically the country of :zoro:.

I like how Franky is already bawling while the other Strawhats are still wrapping their minds around the reveal. I also enjoyed the cover picture, Water 7 had such a good supporting cast.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
What's on the poneglyph Oda. What does the poneglyph saaaay :arghfist: :qq:

He's got us by the balls and I love it.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Brook is loving done with this bullshit.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

oddium posted:

👏 jinbei 👏 is 👏 already 👏 a 👏 strawhat 👏

Yeah, just like Vivi!

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Jinbei isn't technically a member yet, but there's no way it won't happen.

I'm still holding out hope that Oda is going for some kind of curveball twist just because he's stalling with Jinbei's joining so much, and also because Jinbei is ultimately a pretty boring motherfucker who doesn't really fit in with the rest of the crew

He'd be perfect as the leader of Luffy's fleet and occasional support character, but not much fun as a regular member

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Franky got to witness first hand how badly his creations can gently caress poo poo up in the wrong hands, and those were just his dinky prototype ships made from junk. He wouldn't be irresponsible enough to make anything nearly as powerful as Pluton, which was said to be capable of destroying an entire island in a single shot. Plus like Rohan said, the Sunny was designed to make it to the end of the Grand Line, not to be a warship. It's not even particularly big, Caribou's was about twice its size and Big Mom's ship completely dwarfed it. I could maybe buy that the main cannon is a watered-down version of some Pluton weapon, but not that the entire ship is somehow modeled after it.

Shoren posted:

I think it would be a great reveal and entirely fitting of the Straw Hat's eventual status as Pirate King's crew that their ship has at least some of the firepower of an ancient weapon. It would add gravitas to them and make other pirates wary of fighting them despite having bigger ships.

I on the other hand find that to be almost the complete opposite of what Luffy and the Strawhat crew is about. Pirate King status? Remember in Chapter 0 how Roger faced Shiki's massive fleet with a single average-sized ship and won? If any pirate crew is "fitting" to possess something based on an ancient weapon it's Blackbeard's, in fact I wouldn't be at all surprised if they somehow end up unearthing one of them.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Also sea kings come in all kinds of sizes, the ones Shirahoshi called were loving massive.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Viz spelt it as Rogue Town in the official translations; they also went with 'poneglyff' and 'Kami Eneru', so put as much stock in that as you will.

gently caress you it's not April Fools day yet :psypop:

between this and Zolo I'm hugely thankful to get a good translation in my native language

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

:captainpop:

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Every chapter of Zou owns so hard. The Zounage does not stop

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

tsob posted:

I thought Wapol headed a toy empire and wasn't any kind of king anymore?

After he made a zillion beli with his toys the World Nobles gave him a title and he established the :black101: Evil Black Drum Kingdom :black101:

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Gyges posted:

Her shirt and jacket don't draw neon attention arrows to her boobs either. I'm calling some sort of 3rd World counterfeit, knock off statue. No way such a reasonable proportioned and dressed woman came from the official One Piece line.

Yeah seriously

also she kinda looks like she raided Robin's wardrobe.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
I'm phoneposting so I can't check, but doesn't Pudding look like that three-eyed girl who appeared in Big Mom's introductory chapter? I immediately noticed how her hair is strategically covering her forehead.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

anime was right posted:

what if sanji only likes her right now because she has 2 eyes in that picture and gets disgusted when he finds out she has 3

What if Sanji was chosen as the groom because he has one eye in his wanted poster and the wedding is cancelled when they find out he has two

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Yeah in the earlier panel he just has bunch of junk covering his arm like he did in Sabaody, after the timeskip he seems to have an actual prosthetic arm.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Advice posted:

Momonga nullified Hancock's power by sheer will which nobody but Luffy has ever done

It wasn't force of will, he stabbed himself in the hand to distract his boner.

lowercase16 posted:

Speaking of, I always wanted Usopp to shoot a pair of seastone handcuffs at a logia at a critical moment, giving Luffy or Zoro the opportunity to punch/cut the bad guy. Kinda surprised it never happened and now it seems too late. The closest we got was on Enies Lobby and Usopp hosed it up and shackled himself to Zoro.

He did that to Caesar to stop him from escaping at Punk Hazard.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Been awhile but wanted to check up on the One Piece kabuki thing and finally found pictures of the entire cast in costumes

http://one-piece-of-a-blog.tumblr.com/post/131338055389/porche-chan-one-piece-kabuki-x

What a neat show

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1-i8RcNQFM

This is extremely cool. Magellan, Jim and the Admirals look especially great. Took me a good while to recognize that one guy as Hachi.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
rip jinbei, I'll never forget you

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
What a fantastic chapter. NotSanji has a lollipop, it's a reference and no one can tell me otherwise. :allears:

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Diamante's neat DF power was kind of underutilized too.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Croc is hard to surpass for sure. Kizaru is probably the coolest after him in terms of combining style with an OH HOLKY gently caress ability. Doffy would have been a close contender if Oda hadn't nerfed the hell out of his signature ability.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

tsob posted:

His ability to control people was nerfed?

I know some people will disagree with me on this but I think so, yeah. He was able to stop a top Whitebeard officer dead in his tracks but barely even tried to do it against Law and Luffy. Doffy would have been much better as a puzzle opponent than a brawler, another cool thing about Crocodile was how he had a great ability but also a clear weakness that he had to compensate for.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

tbp posted:

It's like chakra in naruto but with fewer kinds. Honestly it's probably mostly there bc logias became a pain in the rear end to write around. Which is a shame I think but it's not really the worst thing ever

Yeah, haki is no dumber than some of the workarounds people were suggesting for defeating logias. Sanji will defeat Kizaru because his black suit absorbs light!! :downs:

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
I think there's a good chance that next week's cover page will be Shanks's reaction to Luffy's bounty.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
I'll reserve judgement on devil fruit awakening until we see more examples of it. The Doffy fight was sort of a bad spot to (re)introduce it because it was yet another Doffy trump card out of nowhere when a lot of people had gotten tired of them several fakeouts ago. I can see the potential for comedy and utility with Luffy's fruit, but I don't know how it'd work with other fruits. Since Zoan and Paramecia fruits have different awakening effects, maybe a Logia awakening is what allows them to resist haki attacks like Aokiji and Akainu did at Marineford?

One thing I do hope to see is Chopper's monster form being acknowledged as an awakened form, being able to unlock it with the power of :science: would make him look pretty competent for once.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

Doflamingo was a warlord though, and one of the higher bounty ones at that. It would have been far stupider if he wasn't a certain level of power, especially after finding out that he pretty much clawed his way up from nothing. I'd say the pacing of the fight itself wasn't great, but that's because Dressrosa's pacing was proper hosed from trying to do too much, even saying this as someone who liked Kyros in every form.

Bounties are not power levels, and power is more than just physical strength. Doflamingo was supposed to be untouchable because of his knowledge on Celestial Dragon secrets that allowed him to blackmail them, and his charisma which allowed him to gather strong subordinates who would stop anyone from even approaching him. He was all about manipulation, intelligence and ruthlessness, and his ability complemented that. Doflamingo would have worked far better as a glass cannon type of villain, where the main challenge of the fight would be working around his ability in order to be able to land a hit on him in the first place. His battle against Law and Luffy started off like that, and frankly I would have been satisfied if he had been defeated by something similar to the Shambles trick that let Luffy land the first hit on him. Obviously it would have needed more dramatic buildup, but I think Oda could have managed it and it would have made much more sense for Doffy's character than making him practically Luffy's equal in physical strength. Giving him a brawler's physique along with his overpowered ability made him more boring and undermined a lot of the "how is Luffy ever gonna beat HIM? :aaa:" hype that Oda had been building up over the years.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Wait, wait, wait, Jesus Christ how did I just only think of this now:

Elbaf is 'fable' spelled backwards.

Usopp's dream is to go to Elbaf and become a brave warrior of the sea.

It's all just a giant pun because it'll be Usopp's biggest lie that ended up becoming true. :stare: :stonklol:

Oda, how do you do this poo poo?

The genius of the name "Usopp" doesn't get enough recognition. I like to believe that Oda just happened to think of the pun one day and the character just instantly wrote itself.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Also, Speak of the fuckin devil and he'll appear. Goddamn Vegapunk.

and that's the origin of the Pacifista explained, neato.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
I do not remember the nanomachines. Please, kind sir, tell me more of this theory.

:unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Kuroyama posted:

I think some of the anime filler arcs were ideas Oda wanted to use for the manga, but the editors said no and took them to the anime creators.

What? That makes absolutely no sense, I call bullshit.