Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Regy Rusty posted:

drat I dunno how I forgot this conversation.

The series has been ongoing for 20 years. It's only thanks to threads like this that I'm able to remember half of anything that happened at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Kild posted:

Does anyone feel weird that its been a bit more than a week, in story, since the time skip?

It's been at least a couple of months. Possibly half a year. Remember, sailing between islands takes a while.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Well it's not thursday yet so it should be kosher to drop this in response

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UViy8W0qhAo

I will never, ever get used to Franky's english voice. It's just so... not Franky.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

EmmyOk posted:

To start off our week of "post your favourite panels" I saw this one when rereading my Fishman Island volumes last night.

"Decks of the New World Vol. 15 Rogue Town

It's the sword seller Zoro bought his swords from all the way back before the Grand Line and I love it so much :allears:

why is Zoro's picture in his bathroom?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Kild posted:

this is the page that made that one goon quit read

the surest mark of quality I've ever heard of

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Eiba posted:

The best thing is the anime can't gently caress it up 'cause he's just talking and he has an amazing voice actor.

bet ya a forum's upgrade it's pointlessly drawn out and boring

also chapter was excellent, mostly setup but drat it's a good setup for chaos

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
All that talk of how refreshing it was to have a One Piece character who took things seriously.

Oh what fools we were.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Sanji doesn't really need a boss fight since he's already going to be saving everybody's lives via the power of cooking.

That's like asking Brooke to fight Big Mom again; he already scored against her once, does he really need to save the day a second time?

If anything I'd wish Chopper had a chance to do something, he's spent most of this arc making sure that Carrot isn't lonely. Everybody else has had a chance to do something cool, even Nami got to sucker punch Big Mom (twice!), so really Chopper is the only Strawhat on this trip that's been woefully underused.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Lpzie posted:

Yeah, I hope that happens too and it goes exactly like Anomander Rake visiting the Segulehs.

... I'm only on book four, so I assume this was a very pleasant visit and nothing bad happens.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Raposa posted:

I believe it's mentioned as a reference, Anomander visited them in the past well before the modern age of the books. The Seguleh attacked him as an intruder, he murdered his way to the 7th before growing frustrated at their insistence on fighting. I can't remember if it's in a main book or side stories.

Oh, right. That. Yeah that's mentioned in the main series.

And having that happen to Zoro would, in fact, be hilarious.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I actually kinda like the ending to Shaman King.

"yeah, no, this guy is literally invincible. our strongest fighters combined lasted a good, solid ten seconds before he wiped the floor with them. just let him win and hope to god he doesn't suck at the job"

For how often we see seemingly impossible to beat bad guys in shoeon manga, including the fight between Luffy and Katakuri going on right now, having one where the bad guy actually wins in the end is kinda refreshing. Victory is convincing him to maybe not kill everybody now that he has unlimited power and control over souls, which yeah isn't as cathartic as just having the protagonist punch a bad guy in the face and win a happy ending, but it wasn't so terrible it ruined the whole series.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Ya'll are nuts.

Luffy being tired from Gear Four was kinda annoying, yes, but following it up with the Brulee reveal then running into Big Mom was fantastic. And they kept that short, too, once they showed Luffy was being chased they cut away to a huge fuckoff armada getting ready to find them and also finally seeing The Cake almost ready and it's so delicious it nearly killed one of the chefs.

Like, this is all important poo poo. Now we know the Big Mom pirates are actually being deployed, they're no longer running around in circling trying to find them, now we see the cake is almost ready and just how potent it is, and now we see that Luffy did not get an instant win button, but is at least able to escape to survive until later. All of this is stuff that can't just be skipped over, like, wouldn't it be super weird to just have Sanji appear with a completed cake without seeing how he prepared it or how powerful it is? Wouldn't it be lame to just have Luffy win his fight immediately after learning Katakuri's weakness?

This was a good chapter.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

dazoner posted:

Cooldowns have been a thing since gear 3 several hundred (sheesh) chapters ago

Gear 3 wasn't given a specific time, and was funnier since we got chibi-Luffy out of it.

The Gear 4 cooldown is the exact same thing only not funny and weirdly specific. It comes across as unimaginative, like something you'd expect out of Naruto, while the Gear 3 version's twist is a lot more in line with how One Piece likes to mix goofy and serious.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Pretty sure, if that quote is even remotely reliable, there's gonna be a Reverie arc before we get to Wano.

I can't see this arc lasting that much longer, I mean, if we're still running away from Big Mom in half a year's time something has gone horribly, horribly wrong.

But the Reverie, reintroducing dozens of past characters and having them meeting up, yeah I could see that taking a bit even just setting things up, and considering just how long it's been brewing, I honestly can't remember when it was first mentioned but it's been years ago now, so yeah I'm pretty sure something big is gonna go down during Reverie, though I have no clue what.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Sub Harrison posted:

I'm amazed manga thieves can organize for Wednesday translations just a couple months after police arrest everyone. How hard is it to set up a security camera over the office scanner, or keep the raws in a locked room?

I don't think any of the leaks have been from the actual Jump offices. Most thieves just find stores that break street dates and sell magazines early, then scan the pages and upload them.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

JahRoo posted:

I was under the impression that they don't want to stop airing episodes or they'll lose their timeslot.

That's the old justification, yes, but new animes getting the timeslots they want proves that theory is bullshit. And even if it wasn't, they could still do as you say and just air reruns during the off season.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Isn't that how Ceaser killed his pet slime, by having it eat a devil's fruit without knowing it?

I guess the main reason they didn't try was that they didn't have a DF on hand, though the fact that Capone was planning the assassination for over a year means that if they had thought of it they probably would have gotten one. We know cutting one up doesn't kill it's power, so it's fairly simple to slice one up and hide it in a fruit salad or something.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Pudding continues to steal the show in all the best ways. The fact that it's mostly reacting to Sanji being a badass is a plus as well.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
look just gimmie Pirate Warriors 4 and nobody gets hurt

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Thank god Oda still knows what he's doing and isn't going to just make every Sam, Dick and Charlie into a new crewmate.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Lpzie posted:

Lol a lot of boring people itt

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
you've all convinced me that Carrot should join the crew before the arc is over because otherwise a whole bunch of pissy pendents would use her not joining as a sign that they were "right all along!" and "see I told you so!" and just be more annoying in general

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Tales of Vesperia is my favorite Tales game largely because it gave me a lot of One Piece vibes while I was playing it. The Guilds system felt very much like pirate crews, and there's a character that's basically Whitebeard.

Maybe give Tales of Berseria a try. It's the newest one and it literally has you captain a pirate ship that you can send out exploring for goodies, or take you to different islands. I wouldn't say it's very One Piece as there aren't any rival crew or anything (at least as far as I've played, I'm only half done) but it does give off that same kinda adventure vibe.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

EmmyOk posted:

Also Zoro is my favourite but his fights tend to be the least interesting.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

EmmyOk posted:

All Zoro's fights tend to just be a bit of slashing until he can cut the thing imo, I'm not saying they don't have awesome moments like that but generally they're not as cool or creative as other ones. I didn't say they were bad.

When you give a man a sword, every problem seems like it can be solved by cutting it.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Holy gently caress

Also I'm debating making this my next avatar.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

God I'm dying

How have people gone through this for twenty years

We get breaks between big arcs and poo poo. Though when it really gets going like this the wait can get physically painful.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Foly Huck!

That Brooke rematch! That Jinbe block! That Nami hit! So loving good I had a huge grin on my face the whole chapter :allears:

Silver2195 posted:

Not sure how to feel about this chapter. It continues the trend of the Straw Hats' plot armor making Big Mom look strangely ineffectual.

I get what you're saying but at the same time completely disagree with it. I do believe this is the first time we've seen major damage to Sunny, for example, so the Straw Hats aren't just trading blows and coming away scratch free, it really does feel like they're barely getting by and escape is their only real option, and it's only thanks to outside help that they've be even remotely successful getting this far.

That and really, we know the good guys are gonna win, that's what happens in saturday morning cartoons. Saying that Big Mom looks weak because she can't win is the same as saying the robbers in Home Alone should've brought a gun.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Lpzie posted:

this time guys, this time, i swear it. . . . chopper will do something!!

He saved Nami this very chapter!

... course so did Brooke... who also got two funny jokes and counter attacked... but hey Chopper was there to react to Brooke being awesome, too!

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Mr Interweb posted:

Saw it, great series, thought it was very short and finished? But yeah, how the gently caress are they gonna go beyond Boros?

Quite easily, really.

OPM is weird because the original webcomic is so far ahead of the anime and remake comic that it's going to be literally years before they catch up to where the webcomic has left off, so we know what the general outline of the plot is for the next several arcs barring whatever changes they make in the remake, which, as the tournament arc proves, can be quite substantial.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Invictus posted:

yeah enel literally died and brought himself back to life.

also, he blew up an entire island with one of his attacks like a loving DBZ character.

In comparison, two admirals fighting against each other only destroyed an island's weather patterns, and left a big hole in the centre.

Course, Enel needed some weird cloud making ship to generate enough electricity to destroy that island, while the admirals did it on their own, so :shrug:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
To bring this back to Kuma, I just realized we haven't seen any Pacifistas since before Fishman Island.

They were kind of a Big Deal during the Marineford War, and we've had run ins with the Marines since then, but we haven't actually seen any aside from the couple the crew beat up before departing for the New World. You'd think they'd at least, like, show a panel with them guarding Doffy's cell on the ship transporting him or something.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
It's another aspect where he's a mirror to Luffy, he wants to fight one-on-one without interference. Though, granted, I can't think of a situation where Luffy was winning because of interference so he hurt himself to make things more even, but if that specific situation ever came up that would be a very Luffy thing to do.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I gave the podcast a go when I was moving and had 16 hours of driving to listen to them. They're alright, though I notice that since I'm no longer trapped in a car and have other options for my entertainment I haven't listened to them since.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

At least it's fast about it. Any one of those pages could have been another chapter in itself. Hell I'll bet the anime makes them all their own episodes.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'll start watching the anime again when they start adapting two chapters per episode again.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Hate-Senpai posted:

I wonder if it's intentionally made to resemble Luffy's Gear 2 pose, to hammer in their rivalry?

Most likely. At least I don't think it's a coincidence.

Hate-Senpai posted:

Also holy poo poo this was an amazing action-packed chapter.

gently caress yeah! If this scene doesn't get the same love and care in the anime that they did with Gear Second then the whole anime is trash.

Dragonatrix posted:

Chapter was fine and a fun slobberknocker, but it could've come like 8 chapters earlier and wouldn't require any changes. It'd just be paced better.

Meh, I can't really think of anything in the last 8 chapters that I'd cut out to get to this point faster, and I'd prefer having this moment be it's own, full chapter as is.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Lpzie posted:

have we ever seen more than 1 moon in the sky or has anyone mentioned multi-moons in the story?

No and no.

That one image is literally it, and it's contradicted a lot by events like Enel going to the moon and seeing the world and no other moons, or heck most recently with Carrot seeing one full moon and no others.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Shugojin posted:

I still can't believe how they managed to translate literally the one part of a name that wasn't supposed to be

how were they supposed to tell "Kuma" was a proper noun and not just "bear"? That's actually the one part of the name they could translate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I could see Mihawk also fitting right in. If they do the typical console exclusive characters thing again, they could have Mihawk/Zoro show up on PS4/Xbone.