Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I was thinking, Nico worked with CP9 because she was scared for the lives of the Straw Hats...but the CP9 plan inherently involves framing the Straw Hats for a crime which they could be captured (pretty easily by an entire city and superhuman carpenters) and executed???
I guess it was the psychological effect/trauma of the buster call manipulating her and maybe she assumed they had a better chance of surviving a battle against the entire city of Water Seven than the combined force of the buster call? Still kinda confused me for a second.

I mean, they fought Crocodile and won, had beaten up a lightning god and his following, and escaped from Smoker by this point. Robin probably thought their chances against a bunch of carpenters and some civvies was pretty good compared to trying to deal with an admiral + 10 warships carpet bombing them, especially if she took CP9 to their word that the marines wouldn't step in to help Water 7 if she turned herself in peacefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Robin rules and it's a serious shame she hasn't had another moment like that ever since. It's downright criminal how underused she is.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Bad Seafood posted:

Yeah, now that I think about it. What was up with Crocodile's poison? Was it just a numbing agent? I sure didn't see Luffy chug an antidote. Not a big deal though I suppose.

Actually it'd be kinda funny in a grim sort of way if Luffy simply bled out all the poison.

Crocodile called it poison but it really behaved more like a very strong acid. It burned through stone and luffy's rubber skin, but it wasn't actually poison.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Jose posted:

It'll be interesting to see how many countries in the new world are world government affiliated since they're presumably all insanely strong not to need a marine presence as such. Elbaf and Wano obviously are and Dressrosa is the only other country we know about so far. Dressrosa is a bit odd in that respect because whats to have stopped pirates before/after doflamingo from loving it up other than Oda never really thought about it

Dressrosa was protected by its gladiators before Doffy came along. Kyros was a huge hero for like 20 years before being turned into a toy soldier, and after that they had Doflamingo + Kaido's protection to keep them safe. And even BEFORE that, there's the Tontatta protecting the place, who are so fast most people don't even realize they were in a fight before losing. Dressrosa had plenty of stuff going on to defend itself with.

Cloks posted:

Based on Shank's actions at Marineford, I'd wager that he uses his position to maintain some sort of balance between the major forces in the world.

I'm thinking its either this or guarding Raftel (or both). He was on Roger's crew, he may very well know what is on that island and why its so important that no one but the pirate king reaches it.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Captain Invictus posted:

what are the official english names for the dog and cat guy

if it's not Cat King and Doglord they have hosed up

In Weekly Shonen Jump they're translated as The Cat Viper and The Dog Viper (and luffy's nickname for Pekoms is "Lion Viper").

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I can't believe you're all missing the obvious way this is going to go down.

Luffy is going to crash the wedding with Pekoms and nobody else, like he said before. But then he's going to put Zoro in charge of the Wano/Kaido situation, so Zoro is front and center in all things involved in Wano. It's perfect for everybody and everyone.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

That's an interesting thought. But doesn't the study of poneglyphs take a lot of intensive studying, as per Robin's flashback? I don't think that's time the Straw Hats really can spare from The Yonkou-Face-Punch schedule.

It isn't like Oda's going to give her a fight she needs to be a part of to distract her from it :v:

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Radish posted:

Yeah those characters have been pretty ignored so if they actually get some time it would be nice. If Nami is once again relegated to the side lines that would be a huge bummer if not unexpected.

Prediction: Nami is coming along so Sanji has a reason to do a thing instead of just going along with the wedding plan.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Gyges posted:

This can't possibly be true or else their shittastic stretching of the material would have resulted in low enough ratings to force them to do something about it.

The Toei of 15 years ago cared a lot more about the ratings One Piece held than the Toei of today does. Back then, it wasn't a sure thing and needed all the support it could get. Now it is a very sure thing, and they have no desire to improve it when people watch this poo poo anyway.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I'm sorry but it's been bothering me for years, who is that little spagetti!?

That little spaghetti is Kyouko Kasodani from the Touhou Project, and my avatar's specific design is a redesign of the character from the fangame DesireDriven.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I have now warmed to Jinbe and look forward to his upcoming antics with the Straw Hats.

I wonder if Big Mom is going to be a real threat to Luffy in battle or if her underlings will play a large part; she's huge, but she doesn't look like she's going to be able to stand up to a giant haki-infused fist.

If Oda made Doflamingo, the master-mindiest character in the series, into a super tough fight for Luffy, Big Mom is absolutely going to be a proper fight that tests his limits. Like if there was any chance to mix up the formula, Doffy was it, and Oda did not take it.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Pirate Warriors 3 is $12.50 on Steam for the summer sale, or $15.50 with all the DLC: http://store.steampowered.com/app/331600/

I've been having a good time with it.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Begemot posted:

That's pretty cool, but it really makes me appreciate Oda's style more than the anime :v:

It has a certain, like, whimsical, cartoonish quality that ironically does not translate very well to animation. Or at least Toei don't translate it very well.

I think if someone made one of those for scenes from Enies Lobby or Arlong Park it'd translate much better, the anime just stopped caring a long time ago.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Begemot posted:

That's because Crocodile is cool and Caesar is lame.

To add to this: Crocodile is a James Bond villain with a sense of style, a cool power, and a good attitude, with ambitions, good looks, and a cool organization. Caesar is a selfish, sniveling coward with a dumb grab-bag power that can kinda do whatever, he killed all of his own men while trying to stop Luffy, and he was in the same arc as Virgo and Monet who were both 20 times cooler than him and didn't make it out alive.

Crocodile was willing to sacrifice some of his weakest men to succeed but generally, his best guys were all people he respected, who earned their positions, and worked well together. Caesar's guys were people assigned to protect him and his research and he got all of them killed for basically no reason except he could. They're both out and out villains, but Croc is stylish and entertaining, while Caesar is the kind of guy you just want to watch get punched in the face over and over.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Respect =/= Trust. Croc trusted no one, but Mr 1, Nico Robin, and Mr 2 were all people he respected and was not going to throw away under any circumstances. Mr 3 on downward were basically trash to him, though, and even the people he respects are people he is willing to destroy the moment they turn on him, like when Robin lied to him about the poneglyph.

He's still a mustache twirling super villain, there's no bones about it. But he's cool and I'd like to see him do more things, because when Crocodile takes the stage, cool stuff follows.

Caesar is mostly a good villain because he's so hate-able. He's just the worst in every way, there's nothing redeeming about him except maaaaybe his genius intellect, which isn't even that genius in a world where Franky and Vegapunk exist. It was very satisfying seeing him get punched in the face, toyed around with during the first half of the Dressrosa arc, and now squirming under Big Mom's thumb. It would not be very satisfying for Oda to try to redeem him, now or ever, because holy poo poo he killed all his own guys, performed crazy unethical experiments on small children, and would sell out everyone around him at the drop of a hat if he could get away with it.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Bisse posted:

My problem with thriller bark (having watched anime only of it, I hear manga is much better wrt an actual spooky horror feel) is that it's basically a disjoint bunch of very amazing moments padded with dull filler in between. Most other arcs are much better with some sort of red thread.

This is basically true of the manga too. It's a bunch of boring running around where very little happens until SOMETHING HAPPENS and usually the Something Happens moments are pretty good, but then they're running around and getting lost some more before anything else happens.

Thriller Bark has some of the best moments in the series, but its also possibly the arc where the least things happen at all. (Not counting the early East Blue arcs, which were all like 10 chapters long at most) Or at least, it WAS the least-happening arc. I think Fishman Island had even less going on, that arc was not good at all outside of its incredibly good Fisher Tiger flashback.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Crazyeyes posted:

I hate in anime/manga the trope of a main-ish character saying things like "He's going to use that attack!" or "I'll use...that and victory is assured".

This is entirely a quirk of translation, although it's definitely very annoying. Japanese sentence structure doesn't require the sentence to contain a subject. So like in your first sentence, in Japanese a direct translation would be something like "Using attack!" with no further details, because the Who and the What are assumed knowledge by the speaker. So since sentences like that happen all the time, its become a common Japanese writing technique to disguise what's coming next by having the speaker not share the Who and the What and the Where with the listener.

And while it works in Japanese, it leads to that constant, awkward translation problem where the translator doesn't know the subject either, that's probably in next week's episode/chapter, and even if they do know, translating the subject into that sentence would be adding knowledge that isn't there originally, which messes with dramatic timing. So every time that happens, now you know - its just a weird translation problem that no one really knows how to fix, because the languages involved are structured completely differently.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I am fully expecting Luffy to outlast the attacking army here. He's going to be the Pirate King - fighting a losing battle for a week and still standing in the same spot at the end is exactly the kind of stuff the Pirate King needs to be able to do. This is the exact kind of situation that sparks legends and myths of all the things he's done.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
It's okay to link chapters here, you know.

http://mangastream.com/r/one_piece/847/3831/1

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
As much as I love that edit, its just making me disappointed all over again about Robin getting a fight set up right in front of her, then not being allowed to actually fight that fight.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

lowercase16 posted:

I recently reread the entire official translation and was surprised how much better it was than I remember. That fight, for example, didn't feel like it was going to be a Robin fight. It very much felt like Kyros's fight, and Robin was just rushing up there to save Rebecca. I think our experience was tainted by the fact that we discuss every chapter, every week. Every week we'd hype ourselves up saying "Robin's getting a fight! FINALLY!" or "Robin's going to gently caress that guy up." so much that we didn't even consider that this fight was supposed to be the emotional payoff for Kyros and Rebecca.

Yes, I know that. I know that's where the writing pointed to, but it doesn't make it less disappointing, because

lowercase16 posted:

Robin needs to get a proper fight, though.

On top of that, though, Kyros vs Diamante was an extremely disappointing fight, especially with how weird Diamante's power was. The nature of his ability countered Robin's ability to just grapple for an instant-win, allowed him to fight her back, but didn't counter her enough to stop her from fighting him. It could've been great. This is a shonen fight manga, an excuse for two people with weird cool powers to fight each other can always be manufactured. Franky and Mr. Pink fought over nothing but "Hi I want to go through that door" "I'm not allowed to let people through this door." All it would've taken for Robin to need to step in (probably in a team fight with Rebecca) was for Kyros to lose.

But nah all we got was Kyros hopping over and hitting him really hard with a big sword while telling Rebecca and Robin they're not allowed to fight (Rebecca because she's his baby and Robin because she needs to protect his baby and gently caress off Kyros). And then when that failed, he just got up and did it again, but BETTER THIS TIME and won. Kyros took the most interesting new enemy in the entire arc and beat him in the dumbest, most brute-force way, while Robin was 10 feet away and doing nothing. So yes, I'm pretty bitter about the missed opportunity.

I also know, from a narrative standpoint, that Kyros should've beaten Diamante because he's the old champ returning and Diamante is the new champ defending, and Kyros had his ideals on the line so of course he'd win. But his ideals sucked and he could've eaten a loss. I would've liked that a lot more because at the end of the day, he doesn't matter. Kyros is completely irrelevant in the present day. Even if he died, nothing would've changed about the resolution of Dressrosa, except Rebecca would be sad.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Ubiquitus posted:

Why would Big Mom go out of her way for an alliance like that?

Just because the Germa are weak doesn't mean they aren't useful. They have strong political ties throughout the world, and also a cloning program, and Big Mom cares a lot about both of those things.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Ubiquitus posted:

So you're saying Oda wasted innumerable panels setting up the Germa as a strong force and a major player only to turn them around as a plot device for Big Mom to use in the future at some unknown point? The only time in the story that Oda has allowed Luffy to fail was when it was useful to bump his power level, and that was precipitated by great loss. The SHs losing significant crew members here to advance some greater plot line doesn't seem likely, I don't see how that theory would be plausible.

That's not what I'm saying at all. I don't think there is a greater plotline. Germa and Big Mom won't be relevant after this arc because Luffy will have destroyed them.

Germa are strong - as a surprise military force, as scientists, as political players in the world. These are all things Big Mom values. I was giving a reason for why Big Mom would value the even though Germa they aren't as strong as New World factions, and that's all. Because its a fact that she values the Germa a lot, otherwise this marriage wouldn't be such a big deal.

But none of the strengths the Germa have put them on the level of Luffy or Sanji, the strongest two members of the Strawhats in Totland, and they're going to be destroyed here as if they were nobodies, because in the grand scheme of things, they are not important. Big Mom values the Germa, but she values them for reasons Luffy and the Strawhats do not care about at all, so they're going to be irrelevant after this all comes crashing down.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Dec 9, 2016

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
As soon as they got to Whole Cake Island, the grand center of Big Mom's entire base of operations, there was a 0% chance Luffy was getting off of that island without beating Big Mom and dismantling her power structures. He isn't coming back here. There won't be another shot. They're following the same pattern Luffy has always followed - he goes somewhere nobody should go, he takes everything he needs, and he destroys everyone who got in his way.

This arc is Thriller Bark mixed with Enies Lobby. There is no way Luffy isn't going to shock the world and cause a major, long-term political shake up by taking out Big Mom and her entire Yonkou seat. If Luffy is going to be pirate king, he has to kick down a Yonkou and take their place first, and Big Mom's going to be it.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
And let's not forget Kyros jumping in to steal Robin's first fight since Skypeia! And not even to win in an interesting way, he just swings his sword harder this time.

Dressrosa's got Problems.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Oh Snapple! posted:

People who think Robin was entitled to that fight are strange to me.

Like how the gently caress do you "steal" a fight against the dude that killed your wife

Rebecca and Robin show up just as Diamante defeats Kyros. The chapter ends with Rebecca and Robin getting ready to fight him. The power match-up is perfect - being a flag man means Robin can't just snap his neck, but he isn't immune to anything else she can do. He's a fierce gladiator who could cut her to bits, but she has Rebecca, the ultimate defensive gladiator, to protect her and keep the fight honest.

Next chapter, Kyros gets back up, yells at Rebecca for even thinking she's allowed to fight, then just hops over to Diamante and swings his sword harder this time.

It sucks.

anime was right posted:

being the worst arc in one piece is still better than the best arc in like, naruto and bleach, combined.

This is blatantly untrue, Naruto started extremely strong. The first couple arcs were all fantastic, pretty much up until Sasuke gets kidnapped/runs away. The Zabuza arc and the Chunin exam are both better than the slog of Dressrosa.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
It's such a shame, too, because the character designs in Amazon Lily were very clearly Oda's A game. There's a ton of interesting looking ladies there! It's very disappointing he didn't keep it up since then.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Beautiful

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

drjuggalo posted:

i think usopp doesnt have a chapter like this but i could be crazy and im really due for a re-read

Usopp does have a chapter for this. The characters who do not are Chopper and, weirdly, Robin.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I dont know what these The X chapters is refering too

There are several chapters titled "The Xth Person" throughout the manga, which refer to when that person truly joined the crew. They do not take place in the same order that the character was introduced, and each time one of those chapters comes up, its been a major moment for them.

The First Person, Zoro's chapter, was only chapter 6, the chapter they beat Axe Hand Morgan and Zoro calls Luffy Captain.

The Second Person, Nami's chapter, was when Arlong got axe-kicked through his house.

The Third And Seventh, Usopp and Franky's chapter, was after Water 7, when they forced Franky onto the Sunny and made Usopp say he was sorry before letting him back on.

The Fourth does not have a chapter yet. Chopper theoretically still has a moment ahead where he will truly join the crew.

The Fifth Person, Sanji's Chapter, takes place the chapter he talks about All Blue on the Baratie, after beating Krieg.

The Sixth Person, Robin, also does not have a chapter. Unless she's supposed to be the Seventh, in which case Franky has not truly joined yet.

The Eight Person, Brook's chapter, was when he played Bink's Sake with everyone and had his flashback at the end of Thriller Bark, deciding he wanted to be with a happy pirate crew again.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
She put a piece of her soul inside of fire. It isn't very complicated.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

EmmyOk posted:

Because the first emperor falling is a much bigger deal.

So was the first Shichibukai, and Crocodile actually killed Luffy twice before Luffy beat him.

Luffy is going to beat Big Mom, and he's going to do it right here, because anything less would not make him the Pirate King. I'm not sure how he'll do it, but he will, because he's the future Pirate King, and she's an old lady who has failed to become Pirate King for 50+ years. He can't lose.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Sabo is honestly fine as a character, he's got a decent design and some pretty good motivations. He doesn't have a ton of personality, though, and his introduction is the single most contrived thing in the history of One Piece, so I can't blame anyone for being too mad at the guy either.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

RealFoxy posted:

Is the tea party different than the wedding?

Yeah, it is. Big Mom holds regular tea parties - when Baron Tamago was introduced, Sanji didn't even have his new ALIVE ONLY bounty poster yet, and the wedding wasn't scheduled until after Judge knew where his long lost Sanji went.

After Fishman Island:

1: Sail to Punk Hazard. Time unknown, but most sailing bits should be at least one day since they show Nami handling navigation and Sanji cooking and such.

2: Punk Hazard, spent one night there, left in the morning.

3: Sail to Dressrosa, unknown amount of time.

4: Dressrosa, which somehow took place in one day? I don't recall a night ever passing during the arc, which is very weird in retrospect because wow they spent ages there. But at the end, Luffy slept for 3 days, so in total they spent 3-4 days here.

5: Sail to Zou, unknown amount of time.

6: Spend the night at Zou, then sail to Totland, unknown amount of time.

7: We've spent one night in Totland.

So at minimum, its been only 7-9 days since the Straw Hats first declared war on big mom at Fishman Island, but at most, its still only been one month. The Straw Hat crew has been very busy. But either way, enough time has passed that the tea party Tamago mentioned has already happened, and Luffy missed it.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Dressrosa is an arc that got worse as it went on. Almost every good part is in the first half of it, almost all the bad is in the back half.

So Dressrosa really really sucks in the part of it that sucks, but its perfectly fine until then. Its a bit too cluttered but no more than Punk Hazard had going on, until we get to Kyros and Diamante, Pica, Bellamy, and everything involving the Bird Cage and Doflamingo's final fight. That's the part where the arc took a real nosedive.

But as soon as they sailed off of that drat island, One Piece's quality shot back up through the roof and hasn't dipped down since. Zou and Totland have been incredible.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Reimu's been in first place for almost every touhou poll, but that's the only example I can think of.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

lowercase16 posted:

*purposely not making a rubber joke*

This. Nami has been referred to as a witch multiple times throughout the series. It would be awesome if she got a new title to go with her power up like Brook did. A badass, more witchy picture would be cool, too.

We actually don't know what would happen if Big Mom got knocked out. The closest analogue we have is Moria, but he made a big show of extracting every shadow on the island before being knocked out. It's possible the souls put into objects would stay in those objects even if Big Mom gets defeated. Hell, maybe even after she died.

Considering the souls are literally "years of your life," I'd expect so, yeah. If Big Mom dies but King Baum still has 5 years of soul inside him, he'll keep going for 5 more years, right?

The other way it could go is for that lifespan to be returned to the soul Big Mom took to put in King Baum but a lot of those people are dead. So who knows!

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Regy Rusty posted:

The red line is obscenely tall and a sheer cliff face. Climbing it would be an absurdly difficult task without infrastructure that presumably exists in Marijoa.

To go back to this quick, the Germa actually do this. Their boats can scale the Red Line, so they can be wherever they please. Its how they got to Totland.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Matoi Ryuko posted:

that's zeus isnt it?

Zeus and Prometheus got left behind on Totland. Big Mom forgot to bring them with her in her blind frenzy.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
"We have exactly 10 minutes until..." can work, under certain conditions.

"Until the bomb explodes and everyone in the capital of Alabasta dies" works pretty good, because that's how bombs work.

"Until Luffy regains all of his powers" is pretty bad, because giving an exact number to anything involving Luffy is not how Luffy has ever worked. He's a weird impulsive pirate with a strange body that nobody really understands, and applying a hard number to the stretchboy doesn't feel very much like Luffy.

The only strawhats who should have time limit stuff like that are Chopper and Franky, who are both scientists who throw out exact numbers all the dang time. Chopper's 3 minute rumble ball works because of course Chopper would time that stuff out, he's a doctor and needs to know how his medicine works. He's also had loads of time to practice, and the means to test that. I have no idea when or how Luffy would've sat down with a clock next to him after pulling out Gear 4 over on giant monster island.

It just feels very contrived, especially compared to how fun Gear 3's backlash was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I think we got a really similar panel to that the first time Chopper used Monster Point but I'm not gonna go look for that right now.

Ceylon Carrot is cool as hell and I'm glad the eventual Pirate Warriors 4 will have her in it.