Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Ugh, the worst thing about this chapter is that we probably won't see the beatdown between Sengoku, Fujitora and Otsuru and whoever's attacking them. :( To be honest I would be incredibly excited to see a full fight between Otsuru and anyone, she has such a kooky power that's still pretty strong. Also a badass old lady!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

They're samurai from the country Wano, which Zoro is definitely going to get something (a new sword? New techniques?) from, and they also have business at Zou, their current destination. It's also been hinted that they have something to resolve with Kaidou.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Mangapanda's translation is out, read at your own risk :v:

Edit: poo poo, Zou is literally on top of an elephant. :stare: That's pretty awesome!

Can Of Worms fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Oct 1, 2015

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Regarding the latest chapter, I like that Blackbeard's ship is just the raft he was using earlier, except with a ship in the place of the middle logs. The side logs even look like they have windows on it!

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

He's in an alliance with Kid and Hawkins to take down Shanks.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Parrotine posted:

I want Oda to hurry up and explain how an inanimate object can eat a Devil Fruit, the mental gymnastics behind that logic is gonna be full-on Oda style bonkers
Vegapunk has a Devil Fruit user whose ability is to temporarily turn any inanimate object into a fruit, thus when a fruit user dies the power goes into the inanimate object. :science:

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Stallion Cabana posted:

also he has a fishbowl on his head.
Foxy's a celestial dragon?! :eyepop:

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Green Intern posted:

Anime Garfield continues to rule.
Speaking of which, does anyone know if the lasagna quip is a direct translation from the original raw or a flourish from the translators?

Star Platinum posted:

I like how Franky is already bawling while the other Strawhats are still wrapping their minds around the reveal.
Franky's reaction was my reaction at the end. :unsmith:

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Brook being a straight man was pretty funny, given his usual status as the foil to the straight man. Also :3: at Kinemon hold up Momonosuke for the group fistbump.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Andarel posted:

Awakened sword fruit turns everything into swords, problem solved.
Time for Zoro to recreate the Usopp sword scene with Daz Bones.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

I was re-reading the Oz fight and forgot that Nami and Brook combine to make a railgun cannon. I hope we get to see that kind of poo poo again now that they're back in the action :allears:

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Pewdiepie posted:

He's going to hide in his invincible shell then die a Jojo's-style non-death at the bottom of the sea, invincible forever.
No, Jack's already got that covered. Pekoms's going to have to wait until they fish him out.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

We need a Milk Milk man. Or that girl from Ace's cover story.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That cover page is inspired. :allears:

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That chess army looks super neat, especially the two tall people which I assume are the king and queen. Also the way Judge says that the wedding will be a day no one forgets is such a cliche doublecross line, except I can't think of an actual doublecross that wouldn't end up with the Germa 66 getting plastered.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

tap my mountain posted:

Pudding is super evil, but I think she'll be forced to work with the strawhats despite never having a faceturn, just like Ceasar Clown, and she'll eventually marry Sanji while still having a rotten personality.
Actually, she'll marry Caesar and their child will have the most ridiculous faces.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Mraagvpeine posted:

Didn't they wake her up to find the right mirror?
They just ask the mirrors themselves at this point.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

My first glimpse into the world of One Piece was the french translation that was in bookstores, partway through Alabasta at the time. It was during the fights with the numbered agents, possibly up to Daz Bones vs Zoro? I remember reading the Mr.4/Miss Christmas fight with absolutely no background on the series and being amazed/flabbergasted at how goofy everything involved was. A gun that transforms into a dog and shoots explosive baseballs when it sneezes??? Hard to find a crazier introduction to the series at that time. I ended up reading the Alabasta arc first (the earlier volumes weren't in stock) and then starting from scratch.

Eventually I caught up after finding scans on an MSN group online (and getting slightly confused at Usopp's name because he's called Pipo in the french translation.) I remember distinctly that the story was in the middle of Water 7 with Luffy and Usopp's fight because there were rumours that Oda said a crew member was leaving permanently (in retrospect, he was probably hinting at Merry-Go) and people were guessing he meant Usopp based on the recent developments in the story.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

I was rereading the Cake Island arc to refresh myself and I noticed that chapter 834 was cleverly framed to hide Bege's potential double cross:

Baron Tamago makes finding Pekoms his top priority, mentioning that he was going to forgive Pekoms if he hadn't helped the Strawhats. Then it immediately cuts to Bege killing him by throwing him off a cliff. However Baron Tamago's dialogue hints that he has reservations with punishing Pekoms due to their work relationship, and you could easily interpret the scene change as being two simultaneous events, i.e. Bege is doing all this stuff independently while Baron Tamago is talking.

Bege also tells Pekoms there won't be a hair of him left. At this point in the story, Big Mom publicized Jinbei's betrayal and reluctance to paly her roulette; most of us probably thought it was a lie she made up because of how it framed Jinbei as a coward, but now we know it was the truth. Given this, and how she runs her family, it's clear she makes punishments for betraying her public to keep her crew in line, which means it's likely that Bege is not acting on behalf of Big Mom.

Finally, Pekoms's last words to Bege before falling off the cliff is that "underestimating Mama will be your downfall", which is a strange thing to say to Bege in that scenario, but makes sense if Pekoms is talking about a betrayal.

Side note: Bege planned to get rid of Pekoms by feeding him to the sharks, and we learned recently that Pekoms was saved by Jinbei. A cute little detail!

In summary: Bege is definitely planning a double cross and it'll probably happen at the wedding for maximum chaos. It's going to be great. :allears:

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Shout outs to the adorable cover page. :kimchi:

Also had to do a spit take when I saw this dude because I thought he was skinned halfway:

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Countblanc posted:

He saw the photo break, he just assumed it was Luffy breaking it because who else would
I you re-read the chapter you'll find it was indeed Luffy who broke it. He just got the wrong Luffy. :colbert:

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Highlights:

-Cavendish's magnificent ship.

-People freaking out about Brook.

-Judge's eugenics coming back to bite him as his sons casually chat during their execution, which also reveals how alone Judge really is when his own kids don't give a poo poo about him.

-Bege's hardcore "I Refuse" panel with Jimbei and Pedro.

This chapter was so good, and I felt the lingering tension of Big Mom's breakdown every page. Next week can't come fast enough :f5:

Can Of Worms fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 2, 2017

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

I can't wait to see those transformation sequences animated.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Sub Harrison posted:

The Grand Line is home to the world's most bravest clowns.

Gastino is no clown.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

I started a bit after the Water 7 story began, which is somewhere around the early 2000s. First I discovered it at a bookstore in the manga section and was impressed by how distinct its art style was from the other offerings, which at the time were stuff like Dragonball, Detective Conan, Sailor Moon, Rurouni Kenshin, Hajime No Ippo and Samurai Deeper Kyo (and Naruto and Bleach of course), to name some of the series I remember having a volume count in the double digits at the time. The bookstore had the Little Garden/Alabasta section of the story available, but it was the french translation so it was far behind since it was shipped from Europe.

After reading that I started looking up more stuff online and found an MSN group with low quality scans up (including the infamous BISOROMI BEAR translation) and binged through it. It was pretty exciting to read through the Water 7 arc as it unfolded since there was a strong "new crewmember" vibe to that arc (along with rumours floating around), and at the time Franky was still just a mysterious silhouetted villain so it actually seemed like Paulie would be the next crewmember.

However, I think the main reason Water 7 was exciting was that it felt like a radical shift in the storytelling. In the previous arcs, the backbone of the arc was always fairly transparent, e.g.: "They're going to Alabasta and Crocodile is the final boss", "They're going to Skypeia and Enel is the final boss", "They're doing a Davy Jones fight and Foxy is the final boss", etc. Water 7 seemed like it was just "they're going to Water 7 and getting a new ship and maybe a new crewmate", and then the CP9 reveal happened and BLEW MY MIND. The fact that Usopp had left the crew and Robin was gone lent a sense of unease that didn't exist previously, especially since the Davy Back Fight arc had a "Yeah they're not *really* going to lose a crewmate" undertone to it, so it was a fresh and unique experience that cemented my love for One Piece.

The breakdancing giraffe might have also been a factor.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Panic Restaurant posted:

How does post-timeskip Franky fit through doors
He dismantles it and rebuilds it to fit him.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That thread made me realize that it's been at least 8 years since the Shabondy arc, geez.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

These goofy cannonballs are great. :buddy:

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

TriffTshngo posted:

I'm not sure how Blueno's fruit is useful in bed aside from if he's the type of guy to leave in the morning before they wake up.
I'm sure he can come up with something creative with this effect.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

sharktamer posted:

Yo wait why did everyone brush over Houshin Engi?

e: Oh poo poo, just found out it's got an anime starting early next year. Hope it doesn't suck!

Are you loving serious. *goes off to google imore information*

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Here's an April Fool's Chapter 901. They did a funny gag with Pedro:

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Splash page of Wano already has me pumped for this arc!

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

O-Tama's patchwork kimono is some amazing design. Can't wait for Basil to show us his moves!

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

I laughed at how casually Luffy just takes that cursed sword and Zoro reacting to poisoned meat with "oh, that's why my stomach is hurting." I'm also expected O-Tama to become an honorary crew member now.

The animal designs are also pretty cool! I really like that Lion/Moose that Hawkins is riding in particular. Looking forward to how this encounter with Hawkins shakes out... in two weeks...

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I feel like Shokugeki No Toriko would just be an entire cast of Dojima Gins though. So hell yeah bring it on
Doujima Jin but he's making the Century Soup face.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

I can't believe Tsuru is a ukiyo-e geisha, I did a spit take when I saw that. Hawkins's stand also looks so cool, oh gosh. I can't believe Luffy is about to fight the entirety of Stardust Crusaders.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Best Smile user so far imo.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

I wonder exactly how far back In the past Toki came from. Could she be one of the Void Century people? And if so, might we be getting some kind of lore drop about it this arc?

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

I thought the question was why they didn't do anything about the poneglyphs before the yonko were around

if there were always an equivalent to them, it'd make sense that the marines couldn't get to the road poneglyphs. it also makes sense that they wouldn't need to since different people owning them in an unending deadlock means nobody could get them all
Keep in mind the poneglyphs were crafted in Wano, a country known for its resistance to join the World Government, so there's certainly a reason for them to be either unknown or inaccessible to the WG. A few of the known poneglyphs were also found in countries that the World Government hadn't reached yet at the time, like Jaya and Zou.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Loving all the new designs, especially the samurai headshots on page 5. Meanwhile Dobon continues the trend of extremely silly Smile users, his rear end is the jaw :magical:

Also spotted Caribou in that one panel, which increases the probability of X Drake showing up!