Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
It's really just becoming a force of habit now

Thread 12 Biggest Losers

code:
anime was right 	304  (+10)
Gyges 			296  (-1)
Waffleman_	 	220  (new)
Advice 			211  (--)
Prison Warden 		165  (+5)
tbp 			153  (new)
Cat Machine 		146  (new)
Bisse 			128  (new )
Jose 			127  (new)
Captain Invictus 	126  (new)
Parrotine 		124  (-3)
KoB 			119  (new)
Lot of new blood (or name changes I couldn't remember) this year, lots of good hustle. Some of the older players losing a bit of steam in their old age. But anime was right is really showing his stuff this season. That all caramel machiato diet is really paying off. Not often you see such incredible volume of posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
I'm not gonna comment on the Davy Back Fight because it being great has been established.

What I will say is that the crews interactions with the old dude who lives on Long Ring Long Land is some of the most hilarious poo poo in the entire manga. Rivaled only by Crocus and some Thriller Bark stuff.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
To be fair to our esteemed ex-mod "I don't understand how-" is one of those meaningless cruft statements that people throw in a sentence which never needs to be there and basically is only ever used to sound passive-aggressive and condescending.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

These are clearly terrible scans, but if it's even close to the kernel of truth of the original then uhhhhhhhhh

And yeah yeah I know Japan pulls this poo poo a lot and is more racially homogeneous and blahblah but I usually read intelligent seinen series that don't have that sorta poo poo. :shrug: I mean, Killer Bee is better than this
Turning into an...interesting reread...

I don't have my manga copy to hand, but basically Ussop is just talking about Afros in reference to some old famous Japanese boxer. There's no racial element at all and that "power of the blacks" thing is just some loving bizarre-rear end fan translation thing.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

bondster posted:

I don't think Sanji is going to be some secret prince or something that. Sanji did the Mr. Prince stuff because he likes doing that secret, behind closed doors poo poo during arcs. Plus if he was doing Mr. Prince to hide his identity, why would he join a pirate ship and not stay on the Baratie? Also if he was hiding his identity why would he flip out over his initial wanted poster not looking like him?

Personally, I think Big Mom may be involved. Maybe Sanji cooked for her and she liked it so much she reached out to the WG for a special request to capture Sanji alive.

It's possible Sanji doesn't know, but yeah for crazy theories I'm on board the Duval train, where Sanji's poster just happens to look just like a World Noble's missing son. Perhaps it'll even be left ambiguous in the end whether he really is or not.

I think though, it's more likely this is to build a sense of mystery and suspense to what Sanji has been up to recently. I wouldn't be surprised if we flash back and follow that group's adventure. But I think we'll just be dumped in in media res and have to work out what's been happening as we go.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

RuBisCO posted:

I like that Zoro's epithet is still "Pirate Hunter" despite that not making any sense for like 800 chapters now.

Oh, he still hunts pirates. He killed the poo poo out of the Arlong Pirates for one.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Luffy is not Ace, brometheus

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I like the signatures that the crew did. Luffy's just says "me," Zoro only wrote the kanji for sword, and Robin drew a rooster for Bartolomeo. I guess when you think about it it's odd that Usopp and Franky's are in a whole different language than the others' though.

All the books and newspapers and such we see are all in our alphabet too, but the Marines use Kanji on their shirt, as well as some other examples. It's probably the same language in the One Piece world, don't think about it too hard. I think Hunter x Hunter and maybe FMA are the only big shounen I can recall were consistent with this kinda thing.

Parrotine posted:

Yeah but Lucchi was already there in disguise before Luffy started laying the beatdown on Doffy and the gang. Given how Aikanu was spitting hot fire over the new admiral apologizing to the country, it's hard for me to buy that Aikanu would let that slide, even with Lucchi/Aikanu's practice of 'Dark Justice'. There's definitely more to the story here, I figure it's got something to do with the Elder Stars or whatever they're called forcing their hand despite his objections.

The Cipher Pol are a part of the police force, not the Marines. They're both World Government organisations but Sakazuki doesn't have any direct command over them, I don't think. If Kong or the Gorosei want Lucci back, he can't do diddly dick about it.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Gyges posted:

In secret level 6 you just hang out in your cell, bored and shackled to the wall. The other 5 levels are full of torture. Once you pass the entrance torture hazing you just get bored and talk to other super notorious guys in other cells.

Sometimes the warden comes down and gets pissed so he sprays the place with poison, but that's pretty rare. Even if there's an escape attempt they just douse the place with knock out gas.

Nah, if I remember right they pretty regularly send down like the Minotaurus and such down to beat on them with a giant spiked club.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Speaking of strong dudes with no fruit, there is always Shanks, who we know for sure didn't have one at the start of the manga.

I mean, I GUESS he could have ate one since, but I doubt it.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Baal posted:

If he doesn't want to be called a sword man then maybe he shouldn't be made of swords

His blood is of iron and his heart of glass
He survived through countless battles
Not even once retreating
Not even once being understood
He was always alone
Intoxicated with victory in a hill of swords
Thus, his life has no meaning
That body was certainly made out of swords

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

oddium posted:

people like characters who are "just strong" because of american exceptionalism and bootstrapping. it's really dumb

Yeah okay

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
One Piece is a world where everyone has a gimmick, origin eh who cares. Nami's Clima tact is functionally the same as if she'd ate the Weather Weather fruit. Sanji isn't JUST a martial artist, he only fights with his feet because a chef's hands are too valuable.

One of my favourite no "powers" fights in the series is probably Zoro versus T Bone. If you go "origin" wise, both are just dudes. But one is a hardcore, constantly near dead samurai who is loyal to the end to a retarded rubber idiot who weilds a sword in his mouth. And one is an ancient looking corpse like marine, who would sacrifice anything for his men and prides himself on his geometric sword play. Despite many similarities, and both of them boiling down to "normal strong dude. Uses a sword", they feel very different. In the same way that Luffy and Trafalgar Law are both bad rear end warriors who happen to use Paramecia fruits, but are different. Kaido doesn't really need a fruit, because we know a big part of his gimmick, ie he's loving indestructible.

To top this boring screed, one of the things I like about One Piece is this variety. It's not all about the fruit, you've got multiple styles using weapons and martial arts and such. A lot of the top tier dudes are fruit users, it's nice to have some variety there.

I mainly would like Mihawk to be not a fruit user because so far his gimmick seems to be "I don't have a gimmick. I'm just a badass."

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Gyges posted:

Can you even get a bounty without also getting some sort of nickname in One Piece?

I do still kind of chuckle that Kidd only got "Captain". What a boring nickname for a Captain.

I don't think Moria has one?

I wonder how everyone knows what people's nicknames are just based on the poster? Presumably it's kept in that little unreadable squiggle in the bottom left corner. Or do you need to cross-reference with the newspaper?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

There does seem to be this ideological fixation on Oda among OP fans in some of these past threads where whenever someone brings up say, Rebecca being a lame character with a terrible costume who punks out completely (at least so far) against her mother's killer to become a damsel in distress, the reaction is often like "SHUT UP/HOW'S IT LIKE TO BE OBJECTIVELY WRONG/THIS IS A KID'S MANGA/ODA KNOWS BEST".
Whereas it feels like Naruto and Bleach threads, far more used to mediocrity and failure in their series, are more willing to accept/critique the presence of mediocrity in their series and not assume every recycled face art is a sign that OH MAN ODA DONE IT AGAIN THIS MUST BE MACHIAVELLIAN FORETHOUGHT.

I do pretty much agree with you, I'm sure I've been guilty of this myself, though I think I used to do it more with Naruto, I don't know if the Rebecca thing is a great example. Maybe it wasn't always that way, but Rebecca criticism has been pretty thorough here, I think.

Because she sucks.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Bad Seafood posted:

Also, not a fan of Pell surviving. I'm generally okay with Oda's hesitancy to kill off named characters for a variety of reasons I could list off, but here it just defuses so many things the Alabasta arc had going for it.

There's an argument to be made that Pell's willingness to sacrifice himself is what is actually important, and wether or not he died is irrelevant. One Piece isn't really the kid of story where character's just die either (shut up).

Saying that I think that Pell really takes the cake compared to other similar situations in the manga, (Mr 2 Bon Clay, for instance) though, and veers into being kind of bullshit.

quote:

I never really felt like she needed to get involved in fights in the first place since her worth as a crew member was proven in other ways, though I guess I can appreciate Oda trying to include her.

I think, since this is a shounen battle manga that's just kind of par for the course. I think the Clima Tact really comes into it's own in a later fight Nami gets, but yeah she doesn't really NEED to have a one on one battle, I think she works best as being able to handle herself against chumpos and generally just taking care of other poo poo.

Oda is pretty good with demonstrating Nami's usefulness I find. I think he only ever did the "oh man, look at Nami being all navigatory" once I think, but he's pretty consistently shown that whenever Nami ISN'T navigating, the crew is constantly nearly dying because the Grand Line is a loving death trap. Which is cool since it keeps that idea going but doesn't bog down pages with "oh phew we dodged our fifth tornado today.

I can't hate Zoro's fight here because I think Zoro throws a house at Mr 1 at some point?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Crazyeyes posted:

I like how he has founded some kind of pirate delivery company.

Piraterie sans frontières

The world calls for ship-work, and we answer! No greater good. No just cause!

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Shugojin posted:

It's been forever since I read Skypiea but I remember thinking the snake was totally rad.

That fine tempered snake?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

quote:

My taste in anime now is largely the same as it was when I was first exposed to Super Saiyan. If it features punching that is, in any way, faster or stronger or weirder than how a normal person would do it, I will watch at least 20 episodes worth of it without fail. This line of thinking extends to other forms of entertainment, which is why I consider The Raid and The Raid 2 to be the finest films of the last decade.

Yeah, this guy and me are pretty much on the same page.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Space-Bird posted:

It's pretty interesting that most one piece fans have such a dislike for naruto and bleach. To be honest I never cared much for naruto and bleach either. Maybe it's because one piece often gets lumped in with them due to genre?
I guess one piece is a weird outlier that is also the most successful shonen series in existence.

Maybe it's subjective, but the one dude I know in real life who reads manga and I chat about with sometimes was a big Naruto fan, and I used to love Naruto until near the end when it just cratered straight into the floor and had a lovely Final Fantasy bossfight happen.

Bleach got us all. I'd seriously question if there is anyone who isn't a 14 year old still reading it out of genuine enjoyment.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
For all its other flaws, I'd say Naruto himself is fairly clear in his goals, personality and motivation. Even if it's dumb, you know what they are. Ichigo has the personality of a hermit crab or maybe a mussel.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
A lot of that article is spot on (The overuse of random Japanese terms is a bit of a bugbear of mine), but I'd sure like if one of these kinds of article for once actually provided any evidence or statistics whatsoever on how piracy hurts the consumer instead of just insisting no it totally does guys, come on. It's just bad science.

The little bit about Bart and Law's exchange about the poster is, however completely subjective and seems to be kind of arguing against the previous point about using shichibukai and such a little, which kind of muddles the thrust of the article a little I think.

I may just be bitter as these guys started a One Piece podcast before I could and I'll never forgive that.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
I regularly use tovarish in conversation, and I feel that using comrade instead would make my weekly communist revolutionary meetings lose a little bit of pizzaz.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
I love it when I'm reading a book about superpowered pirates for 12 year olds and manchildren and I have to go on google to spend an hour educating myself on the subtler nuances of a language spoken by one country on the other side of the planet. It's the same thing that made me love reading Chaucer as a 13 year old boy. My never having a girlfriend in high school and multiple weekly nose breakages were a complete coincidence.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Probably my favourite translation ever tbh

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Literally The Worst posted:

most of this thread reads mangastream's weeb horseshit instead of paying twenty dollars a year for actual official simulpub translations

are you surprised

Oh man, I WISH I only spent 20 quid a year on One Piece, oh what a world that would be.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Yeah the whole "female swordsman" thing isn't really a thing with Zoro. I mean, yeah, the comment to Enel is weird but it's a manga and that poo poo is everywhere.

It IS however, a part of Tashigi's character that she feels inferior as a female swordswoman and she mostly interacts through Zoro, though I trust Oda is eventually going somewhere with it.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Jose posted:

this is one of those things that is a bit silly like people in east blue thinking devil fruits might not exist despite them presumably existing for 800 years and there being a global newspaper and also tv

of course back then it was to add a greater sense of mystery to the world since it was right at the start of the story

Well, the TV is only local I think. Like from Mariejoa to Sabaody and that's it. I guess visual den den mushi have limited range.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
If it weren't for curving mid-air, I'd just have said that she can jump good because she's a rabbit.

I thought the electro-shock thing was because of that glove the girl was wearing? Is there a reason people think it's some kind of Minkman power?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
I'm a big dummy. But it's weird how Oda clearly focuses on the rabbit-girl's one glove in that case. There's definitely something weird going on here!

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
I mean Fishmen have the power to throw the ocean at people, so it's not like it's some insane out of nowhere thing.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

RatHat posted:

The distinction between anthropomorphic animal Minkmen and furry Minkmen might just be sex. Then again we didn't see a male Mermaid or a female Fishman for a long time.

Is Octopaco the only female Fishman we've seen? I know all the Royal Family were Mermen, but I actually can't think of any other Fishwomen.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Fishwoman

Mermaid

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

bobjr posted:

This is just probably going to lead into another Nami flashing the crew joke.

I did think the one where she just gets changed in the middle of the carriage on Rocket Man was pretty funny.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
You can tell the bunny girl is the Tsun one because she's eating his face off rather than just giving him an affectionate lick. It makes sense too because as any pet owner will know, rabbits will chew anything and if you leave your hand just stray hanging it's only a matter of time before a dog decides to lick it.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
The one Fishwoman we've seen has a cool design, it's really just Mermaids but, y'know, Oda so who gives a poo poo?

I enjoyed TMNT, Darkwing Duck and Usagi Yojimbo too much in the past to just instantly dismiss animal people as awful furries instead of thinking they might be rad animal people, so whatever. I don't see a shirtless fox dude with a weird flat face wearing jeans and a puka shell necklace so it's all good so far.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
I give it a month and a half before we start getting early leaks again. This kind of thing has happened before, I think?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Oh man, I haven't even got to Zoro hitting Pika yet (and I have had time to click reply and type this post as he flies) but that throw was the weakest, least dynamic toss I've ever seen. I've seen more power from my gran failing to open a jam jar.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Something to do with nanomachines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
"I thought he was winking too!!" is a very Chopper line, it's great.