Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Foxy was a bad villain and his crew was a bad crew and that's why Davy Back Fight was a bad arc, it has nothing to do with my expectations of it being lighthearted or serious hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I didn't like Marineford because as a weekly read it was a few pages of Luffy running toward Ace with a grim expression on his face, a few pages of people who I didn't much care about facing off, and then a cliffhanger (DODON!!). It along with Fishman Island was one of the places in the series where I just dropped the series for a while and then came back to it again later, albeit for different reasons. Marineford felt like a constant high to me, and when every chapter is tension and high stakes it somehow simultaneously becomes boring in its monotony and also fatiguing in its intensity. Fishman Island was just blah.

I hope this opinion is not objectively wrong according to the arbiters of the thread

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

DeadBonesBrook posted:

How has their been this much discussion about the Davey Back Fight without this panel being posted?

The horrible scan quality/translations of the pre-Water 7 arcs (especially in the DBF) is what prevents me from doing a proper re-read of the series.

For what it's worth I read the Davy Back Fight in Japanese and the translation has nothing to do with the quality of that arc

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

dare i say nakama

Bro*

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

The part I liked most about Marineford was that tiny little scene where Kizaru is about to own some fools and then suddenly there's Ben Beckman just sitting there with a gun of all things pointed at his head, and the man who can literally move at the speed of light and is completely immune to conventional weaponry besides raises his hands in defeat and backs down.

I'm probably misremembering parts of that but I really liked it all the same.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Yeah, I love 'em both though. Kizaru's just got such a fun personality/style. You could say Enel's like one of the only One Piece villains to actually accomplish his goal, right? I mean, he made it to the Moon. It's just that he happened to be a psychopath and add other extra goals like "kill loving everyone and destroy Skypiea while I do it".

One Piece needs more poorly veiled/barely held in check sociopaths like Borsalino. He's pretty unique compared to all the scenery-chewing assholes going ZEHAHAHA or FOSFOSFOSFOS or NFUFUFUFU all over the place.

e: Not that there's anything wrong with said assholes either, they're cool too

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Je suis fatigue posted:

Huh, only the back of Sanji's head here. Oda's very intentionally kept his face from getting global exposure so he's gotta be important to someone somewhere. I'm thinkin just royalty/world noble with a passion for cooking who ran away from home to pursue that dream. I can see it now; "a prince does not cook for others, they cook for him".

I thought Sanji only gained his appreciation for food AFTER his shipwreck and experience with Jeff. Then again it's been literally over a decade since I last read those bits so I fully admit I could be wrong.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Jose posted:

he was a chef before the shipwreck and the stuff after that was about not wasting any food

Huh, I thought he was the cabin boy, not a chef. I really need to reread this series one day but holy poo poo it's so loooong

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Good Usopp fights: Enemy at the Gates, Saving Private Ryan

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Gyges posted:

Ace's vivre card is still burning down as he's just standing in an elevator, sitting on a ship, and then sitting on a scaffold. Considering the vivre cards does simply grow back once the danger is gone, it's probably some sort of 4th wall breaking magical knowledge.

Or you could just keep your own card around like a hacked Spidey sense. poo poo guys, we're in deep poo poo. My vivre card is smoking, watch out for an ambush!

It's loving magic you nerds

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

It'll turn out that Mihawk is actually just some nerd who happened to eat the Swordsman Swordsman fruit

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I like it when the swordmans and punchmans sword and punch each other thanks

Also Sanji vs Wanze owned especially for that gag where Wanze just stood there without changing his expression for a sec and then was like "holy crap that scared the poo poo out of me"

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

DizzyBum posted:

All of Doflamingo's attack names (minus a couple like the Birdcage) have "ito" in them which is the Japanese word for "string"! :eng101:

Athlete Thread is just him kicking with strings on his foot so it adds cutting action to his kicks. Why it was named that, I'm guessing it's because "athlete's foot" is an English term and that's it.

No it's just asurito in Japanese. Still an ito pun.

e: If you're explaining "why was it named athlete at all," like half of Doffy's moves make no sense outside of having ito in them like fulbright or black knight

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 29, 2015

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

I still like that Doflamingo's awakened power could conceivably have been control over the strings that theoretically comprise every object in existence

He would have complete control over string theory and suddenly he would be talking directly to you, yes you, the reader, because of his awareness of everything in existence including the universe outside the manga

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I mean the guy moves at the speed of light, he probably drops by his crib to have a spot of tea and then does grocery shopping in between individual kicks to a dude's face

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Doffy had some really cool nicknames despite being a yarnman

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Sakazuki's been getting an increasing number of humanising moments, even if he's still a giant rear end in a top hat. He'll get a beatdown, sure, but there's a vague possibility of redemption afterwards. On the other hand, I can see Borsalino going off the deep end like an Olympic diver. That guy is just not right.

Borsalino owns and I want more of him. Every major scene he's been in has been great.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

There have been worse in real life. Billy (actually Henry) "the Kid," for instance.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Vivi also loving obliterated Croc's head (not that it stuck but it's the intent that counts) when she got the chance, while Rebecca froze and cried.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

gnome7 posted:

Crocodile called it poison but it really behaved more like a very strong acid. It burned through stone and luffy's rubber skin, but it wasn't actually poison.

Strong poison is very commonly depicted in fiction as basically hydrochloric acid that also poisons you

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

TheFallenEvincar posted:

if so I picked the worst goddamn time to reread and catch up.
Oda's legendary for his consistency as a manga-ka when it comes to releases right? But reading over the tortuous hundreds of pages during the Dressrosa arc threads here, it looks like he's been having health issues and stuff and breaks have been happening?

Anyway, my final thought on Dressrosa is that it's definitely an arc where plenty of cool poo poo happens but not an arc I'd like to have to actually physically read chapter by chapter again if possible, because it's kind of exhausting.

Oda's not even in the top 10 when it comes to consistency wrt release schedule and never was

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

deep space nein posted:

They were holding their own against Garp and Sengoku. I thinks it's more that Oda is trying to give Sabo instant credibility. He's Luffys "older brother" so I think by manga law he has to be nearly as strong

It felt like octopusman in the Fishman Island arc to me. When a dude who's been hyped hard but hasn't actually done much gets chumped in an instant it makes the chumpee's hype look fake instead of passing that hype onto the chumper.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Jaya and Skypeia loving owned

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

TheFallenEvincar posted:

That really is what struck me the most during the reread, how much Ace's initially tragic (and still super tragic don't get me wrong) death has to do with him being a dumbass goaded by Akainu and falling right into his hands. Like, he was on his way out and maybe could've made it, validating the deaths of the people who had fought to give him that one opportune moment and then he just throws it away cuz Akainu says some mean things.
Guess that's just Ace though.

Ace is dumb, news at 11

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Julias posted:

I find it funny that nobody has mentioned this but:

象 - Kanji for Elephant
Pronounciation? Zou.

It was set up all along.

I mean, that's mentioned in the chapter itself, isn't it

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Guys what if, what if Luffy actually becomes the pirate king

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

Who in Blackbeard's crew mirrors who on Luffy's crew?

They're the vaguest of mirrors in that they're like "shoots mans," "doctors mans," "is a fightmans" and I never really bought the "they're mirrors of the crew" so much as "they have incidentally related powersets to make for good themed battles in The Final Showdown."

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Foxy's fruit is another in the long list of "Would be hilariously broken if it wasn't tied to the worst person imaginable," much like the samurai dude who can literally create anything he can draw, but he's a loving terrible artist and his creations are mishapen abominations begging for death.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

He's "I fight for my friends even if I just met them, or it would be absolutely fuckshit bonkers to actually attempt to help them, or doing so would probably make things even worse in the long run if I weren't the protagonist of a fictional series" at his base just like Naruto and Luffy are.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Amorphous Blob posted:

If Zoro ate even the lamest fruit he'd be straight better than Luffy and he could have totally kicked mingos rear end.

Zoro eats the stair stair fruit and immediately becomes useless because he hates himself

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

Probably my favourite translation ever tbh

You're welcome, it is my masterpiece

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Couldn't they just have gone with Arlong saying something like "she belongs to us" and Luffy saying "no, she belongs with us" or "no, she's one of us" something like that.

I'm posting from the alternate universe where this happened and it's really cool over here guys

F. Lobot posted:

That's how I feel when I see Japanese sound effects, nakama, schichibukai, den den mushi, yonkou, gorosei, 'eh' instead of 'what' or 'huh', hakabushiki haki, untranslated Devil Fruit no mi, Kumacy and pointless honorifics. There's no way to read One Piece without doing mental gymnastics, but the Viz version has significantly less of that.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

tbp posted:

im really interested in the edward weebl stuff. though i figure it'll be one of those "fight for a bit, come to an understanding" i think it'll be cool, his design is delightfully goofy but still a little bit menacing.

Agreed. I hope someone punches his mum tho

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Fan of Gin: Every arc will be the best arc to reintroduce Gin

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Tashigi will casually cut down Mihawk with one swing when she remembers she's Kuina and fights Zoro for real

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Just like how an editor stepped in on Dressrosa and made Rebecca useless

Let's not put everything bad about One Piece down to the evil editors

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Jose posted:

so doflamingo just wandered round marineford after the war to find the fire fruit before the marines?

Maybe some marine found it, and Doffy got Sugar to toy the marine and took the fruit?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

Do you suppose there will be a separate groups for reptile-men and insect-men?

If you are sexually attracted to reptilemen instead of mammalmen does that make you a scaly instead of a furry or something

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I honestly did not remember that fishmen and merpeople were separate in One Piece until this page.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I don't really care about animal people and seeing you guys be all annoyed about furries has been really weird when there was an arc a few years ago with fishpeople of all shapes and sizes complete with the "males look interesting and diverse, women are basically all hot chicks with animal parts" thing

Kokoro is mai waifu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

Presumably we won't be getting the early release from the Chinese raw. WSJ officially releases Sundays or Mondays right? So we didn't get "last week's" chapter because it was on break for the issue that released at the beginning of this week, which usually leaks several days in advance. We didn't get a chapter today/tomorrow because the leaker was arrested. But at the beginning of next week we should get the chapter that would have leaked tomorrow.

Does that seem accurate?

A raw by definition cannot be Chinese unless it's of a Chinese manhua, because "raw" in scanlation speak means "the original" not "hoho the word bubbles have funny characters I can't understand"

:goonsay: