Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This chapter was fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I just read the last three chapters and holy poo poo

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

yeah it's good, i agree

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

"Usopp, you're amazing" is one of my favorite moments in the entire series, full stop, and it wouldn't happen without that

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I just caught up after a while and read a bunch of this thread and I'm still mad at the dude who said Robin is the worst Straw Hat

Okay that's it

Also good loving chapter holy poo poo :eyepop:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

IMO it kinda has to be Pudding because outside of using her power on Reiju, which didn't really amount to anything, and whatever she (possibly) did to Sanji, which I'm going to assume for the sake of this argument wasn't anything terribly major, her memory powers haven't really paid off yet.

e: wait poo poo, I forgot the cooks and the woods. Still, I'd expect something bigger.

Arist fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 3, 2018

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

tsob posted:

Why though? She's an arc specific secondary character. It's not like Violet's all seeing eye or Shirahoshi's ability to talk to Sea Kings had major input in to the resolution of their respective arcs. Shirahoshi's ability was suggested to be world shaking, and will probably have more impact later in the story, but within Fishman Island it just calmed down one situation right at the tail end of the arc and didn't do all that much overall. If even Robin is being short served in the cool things department I don't really see why we should expect a character like Pudding to get big moments to showcase their power.

Because she hasn't done much with it, period.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It needs some payoff in its own right beyond just facilitating other plot beats, is what I'm saying.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Raspberry Bang posted:

All the other yonko ships we’ve seen so far seemed so much more grand compared to the tiny little sunny.

I mean, that's why it's perfect for the Straw Hats and Luffy especially???

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

tsob posted:

Why though? It's just a secondary character's power.

Because her power was heavily established and set up? Because she's been a major presence in this arc? Both of which mean that Her Big Thing should probably actually loving pay off at some point? I feel like it's pretty obvious why I think this will happen for a number of reasons. A better question might be, "Why won't it happen?"

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You're being incredibly pedantic. Your issue seems to be with the specific words I'm using and not the actual premise of my point, which is really annoying, dude.

When I say "it hasn't paid off," I am, of course, referring to the fact that its use has been near-entirely relegated to the background (or even possibly offscreen) when it was built up to be more than just filling in minor inconsistencies in the plot. I mean, it's certainly possible that the only real intention behind giving Pudding her Devil Fruit was so that she could use it on the cooks. But that would be bad, because it's so tossed-off and ancillary in comparison to how much setup it got. Giving parts of your story large buildups and then giving them appropriately large resolutions is, in fact, part of writing a good story. Now, it's possible to subvert this for comedic or even dramatic effect, but this doesn't seem to be one of those times. When I say "I think this will happen because it hasn't paid off" I'm saying "I think this will happen because this plot thread will feel half-baked without a little more to it," which is my own way of generously assuming Oda will probably succeed in resolving it well.

I'm probably not gonna argue this any further because it must be torture for everyone else to read, but that's just why I think it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

DizzyBum posted:

JET GATLING RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA is probably still my #1 favorite scene in the anime. I still go back to it every so often.

I'm a dub-liker, but that moment's legit better in English for the record, it's so good

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sinners Sandwich posted:

My head cannon says Pudding only took the memory of the "last request" scene for her too keep as it's probably the last time the two of them meet. The panel composistion, Sanji's "What was your last request Pudding-Chan?" and the memories drawn on the film are my evidence.

Also lol at how hosed some thugs were scarring the face of one of Big Mom's children

Yeah, that seems like an appropriate sendoff for Pudding.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I can't wait for Jimbei to show up in Wano and then immediately return to his home planet

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

JahRoo posted:

The weirdest part about Weevil is that he reminds me that Whitebeard's first name is Newgate, not Edward

This fucks me up every time

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The current dub didn't start releasing until 2008, and at their current rate they release like twelve episodes every two months or so. They reached the timeskip only last year.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

don't you fuckin do this to me

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They finished Alabasta.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That's either a retcon or a different party, because I'm pretty sure more time than that explicitly takes place after Dressrosa.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I cannot believe how big that hat is! Oh my god! Hooray for the Big Hat!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Robin and Franky are not where I expected but I'm fine with it

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Jimbei absolutely crunches his ice, Oda didn't include him because it's so obvious

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I hate when people post spoilers before the chapter's out, ugh

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hat jokes own

Talk more about the hat

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm loving marking out so hard

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

HerraS posted:

oda is going to blueball everyone and shanks will get punked by blackbeard offscreen

But it's Oda, so it'll still probably be hype af

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's a weird, dumb joke that makes me like Oda even more.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

NO

THE HATS MUST ONLY GET BIGGER

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Larryb posted:

Didn't the Bleach anime actually get cancelled before the manga finished? Or was it more like the original FMA anime where they made a conscious choice to abandon the manga storyline and go off in their own direction towards the end?

The former.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think the Robin design is cool and barely recognized her

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Viridiant posted:

I think the moment I wanted her to join was when she did that rad uh...crap I know it's a style but I don't remember what it's called. Anyway that rad drawing of the Strawhat crew.

Shoujo?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I love One Piece!!!!!!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Arist posted:

I love One Piece!!!!!!

When I posted this I hadn't even read the last page :aaaaa:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

No, it indicates how much of the chapter was covered by each episode, not how much each episode covered the chapters. Episode 581 apparently covers another 10 pages of the next chapter, which is still bafflingly low.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Pages like that are why I love Robin, she's just constantly "gently caress it man, this poo poo's great" even if she doesn't feel the need to join in on the party

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

kidcoelacanth posted:

I had literally zero recollection of that line until today

This just makes me wonder if someone had the font and the will how long they could gaslight this thread by posting fake pages

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

oddium posted:

im playing through metal gear rising again and does armstrong's nanomachine darkening predate one piece haki darkening

No.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Expect My Mom posted:

[giles corey voice] More Weight

i see you too went to high school

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

raccoon dog was chopper in disguise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

RealFoxy posted:

If you look at the positives this is probably the best trans people have ever been represented in major Japanese media, ever.

yikes