Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

burntpork posted:

New chapter is out. There are a lot of things to be excited about this week!

Mr. Prince?!

that's one hell of a loving chapter
usopp's statue. barto's ship. the pigeon's mask. Beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I'm surging through Fishman Island right now, not sure how many chapters are left in it but it's decent. Better than I expected what with some of the complaints I heard about it.

Most of the complaints are based on the fact that Fishman Island was hyped up basically since Arlong Park, and it ended up being just "look how buff we are now".

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
Pandaman should be the next crew member

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

ZiegeDame posted:

The best part about this development is the reminder that Whitebeard's family name is Edward.

Edwar D. Newgate

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="451230364"]
In the latest chapter, Luffy calls out for Nami etc, but shouldn't he know they're not on the ship due to observation haki?

Potentially, but Luffy is dumb as hell.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
foxy's bad and not coming back. sorry.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

anime was right posted:

also if gin ever returns

he won't

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
Really disappointed Beop isn't just literally a bear who learned kung fu.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
New chapter's out.
I can't believe Sanji is loving Dead.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Advice posted:

Okay so Jack is "no longer alive" but then on the next page he's "definitely still alive out there" and he's looking for something he thought was on Zou but nobody even knew about? Can we get a translation clarification?

Most likely he was officially declared dead in the newspapers, but Dog-Nami doesn't believe it.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
Sincerely hope the samurai squad's entire involvement in this arc is just appearing trying to climb the leg on various poorly-drawn animals but messing up halfway and falling back down.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Crazyeyes posted:

Agreed. Like other poster above said, it's almost like pages are missing. I get more and more lost as the weeks go on.

The arc's starting in the middle. The first few chapters will set up all the mysteries of what happened, where is sanji's body because he's loving dead, who is Jack, what are Minkmen, why is Chopper their king, etc. and then get the flashbacks to answer the questions, then Luffy will punch a dude (probably Jack) really freaking hard and they'll have a party.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Green Intern posted:

What is Scratchmen Apoo up to these days?

gettin owned by kaido. RIP mr jazz maverick.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
If this arc was told in strict chronological order it wouldn't give much room to the exploration of the cool-rear end concept of an island that's actually a giant elephant, and also Bepo wouldn't be in it. Why do you hate Bepo?

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Fuckshoes posted:

I'm still holding out hope that Drake is a marine working undercover. He never went rogue, he's a sleeping dogt-rex working to undermine Kaido.

semper fidelis tyrannosaurus

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
Put me down for $50 on "closely related to one of the old dudes who run the government".

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

The Rescue Sanji arc is a loving go.

Capone just went from being a non-entity to me to being an awesome character, I hope he gets a fight sometime in the future

My guess is it'll be Sanji vs Capone while Luffy fights Big Mam and Zoro fights some boring dude with a sword

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Crazyeyes posted:

Luffy won't awaken his fruit til he fights Kaido, I'm betting.

So seeya in 2018, I guess :shrug:

Yeah, even if Luffy is the one who fights Capone, the dude's just not a big enough threat to justify such a huge upgrade. It'll either be against Big Mom or Kaido.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
Luffy's awakening will be to make his enemies turn into glue-men

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
I'm looking forward to when we find out why the government wants a member of a famous assassin group "alive only". There's gotta be some real poo poo going on there.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Hunter x Hunter kind of plays with this idea a fair bit too. Gon and Killua are practically amateurs at Nen, but manage to beat more experienced people because they're naturally strong, even if untrained, and they are physically powerful too. You have Gon and Killua tumping weak nen-users on Greed Island who attempt to use magic card by just being faster, Gon suckering people out of money by arm wrestling with normies desipite being able to lift a Ford Focus over his head and so on. You even have this a little in One Piece, where Luffy can still hurt... Marigold (I think?) despite her Armament by using Gear second.

Yeah, Luffy could hit hard enough to get through the sisters' Armament and move fast enough to beat their Observation Haki just by going Gear Second. One Piece does a really good job of managing its various superpowers and how they play off each other. Some are clearly more versatile and powerful than others, but each has its own strengths and weaknesses so it's conceivable, for example, that someone like Crocodile could play with the big boys despite not knowing Haki, etc. through his insane level of control over his devil fruit.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Advice posted:

No guys, you don't understand, Smoker is totally the Garp to Luffy's Gold Roger. That's why, instead of being a powerful rival and adversary with begrudging respect, he just jobs out all the time.

Jobber to the stars is an important role in any story and I won't have you insult my husband like this

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
nekomamushi is a pretty good cat, imho

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Now I'm not sure if I want Jimbei or Nekomamushi for next Strawhat. One can judo by sea, the other can judo by land.

Decisions, decisions...

the thing the crew most needs is a pet so it should definitely be Nekomamushi. or Inuarashi. or... both.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
I really don't see any indication Kidd is more powerful or important than any of the other supernovas. Like they're all clearly set up to be the next generation of pirate leaders but I don't see anything that says Kidd is more important than Capone or Bonney or anyone. He's definitely not important enough to take down Shanks.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Parrotine posted:

Kuro was pretty dope now that I look back.

He just wanted to return a wealthy man with complete piece of mind, ruthlessly murdering an entire town so he could sleep easy each night. It was a real personalised gently caress you to the oblivious town folk around him, something truly evil instead of the usual dickhead shenanigans the other ones would pull.

It feels more pirate-y than most of the actual pirates in the series.

Captain Kuro Wants A Quiet Life

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
can we just have Zou itself as the 10th crew member so all of these characters stay around forever

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I think by the end of the Zou arc (which should be soon), Luffy will do a little hard thinking on whether to pursue Sanji alone or let him do his thing while the Straw Hats sail to Wano.

I personally hope that the supposed "year of Sanji" will actually include Sanji in some chapters at some point.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

AnonSpore posted:

HxH is godlike actually

Was.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Lpzie posted:

You don't need 4 of them. Three is enough. Start at one of the islands, and sail to the other. If that fails to find the island, do it again from the second island to the third. If that also fails, go from the third to the first. If this island is a traditional landmass above the water, congratulations, you should have found it by now.

If that was possible someone would have found Raftel by now. And even if it is, Luffy won't want a boring adventure like that.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the reason Kaido took over Wano is to find someone who can read his Road Poneglyph, and that whole arc is going to partially revolve around stealing the Poneglyph.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Wait, the Naruto anime is still going? What the gently caress?

The producers know how completely stupid the ending was, so they've thrown the anime back into filler hell to put it off as long as possible. I think they're re-telling Itachi's backstory for like the fifth time at the moment.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Adlai Stevenson posted:

I don't want Luffy to be able to hear Poneglyphs or whatever simply because I want Luffy to continue to be Not Roger. Luffy will surpass Roger by ending the WG in its current form using the crew he's gathered by his force of will. It will be by actions and not by using Roger's skills +1. I hope, at least.

Yeah it would super suck if it turns out Luffy is just literally retreading Roger's path step for step, including having the same powers. It would be pretty much completely against the whole thing of Luffy breaking down the world's systems and causing huge upheaval if he's just doing what Roger did in the ways Roger did.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
Well, we know which Emperor is going to get a Luffy all up in their business first now.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Have we seen Futuristic Island Post Time Skip before?

There might have been a brief flashback to it when they all met up at the Sunny, but definitely not much of it.

I think my favourite part of this chapter is Law's desperate attempt to show he's still a leader in the 'alliance' and is not completely caught up in Luffy's momentum just like everyone else, when it's obvious he totally is.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

I think it's supposed to be 'Weevil'. Shichibukai all have animal-themed naming.

It's Weeble because he wobbles but doesn't fall down.

I really hope that this resolves with Luffy stopping Jack from killing the elephant, but Jack escapes and gets angry enough at Luffy to follow him to Big Mom's tea party and crash it, starting a war between Kaido and Big Mom.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

GonSmithe posted:

That was something I was really annoyed with when I rewatched Enies Lobby. Nami completely fucks up Kalifa... and that was the last time she did anything? I feel like I have to be forgetting something but...

Nami gets to use her thunderclouds on mooks regularly, but hasn't had a proper fight since then, yeah. Could be worse, though; I'm pretty sure Robin's last real fight was that fat dude on Skypeia.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

tsob posted:

If Usopp was going with Luffy I'd says Big Mom could be at Elbaf since she appears to be a giant, but he's not so I doubt it. Not unless the joke is that Usopp has to become a man before he goes there and we only see him there in an epilogue or something, which is unlikely. It might be a connecting island in a small way the same way Little Island, Mock Town, Long Ring and Zou are I guess and so only need a few months, not a few years.

Elbaf has been talked about since Little Garden, there's no way it's just going to be blown off in a few chapters like Zou or Long Ring Long Land.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Advice posted:

Totally nerding out at the prospect of combining the different poo poo everyone learned about during the timeskip. You'd think stuff like this would have happened right before/after Fishman Island, but I'm glad we get it at all. I always though Franky should have more of a hand in designing everyone's weapons.

Also lol at retconning Dr. Kureha into being some sort of medical expert so proficient that the entire Sakura Kingdom (only started since Chopper left, at the earliest) is known far and wide, including on Zou, for it's medical techniques. Obviously she's an amazing doctor, but I never got the idea other islands were in awe of her ability. I guess I can accept that nobody ever found out about her until she no longer had to hide from Wapol.

The Drum Kingdom was known worldwide for its medical techniques, which Wapol dominated by forming his private doctor squad and kicking out everyone else. Now that Wapol is off being a business tycoon, all the doctors are free to practice as they choose and the renamed Sakura Kingdom is famous for its doctors again. Kureha is just the leader of the doctors, not the only doctor. It's not a retcon in the slightest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

MoosinRound posted:

Vivi hasn't been to sea since the last Reverie and Kidd is in lock up because they are using his magnetism to create artificial log posts which is why the minks were all like "WTF? how is Jack finding this place?!"

Vivi was at sea with the strawhats between the previous reverie and the upcoming one, and Kidd making new log poses would not help them find somewhere that does not show up on the log pose.