Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's going to be really cool when Zoro and Mihawk fight even though they have no special powers and are just really goddamn strong.

Edit: Also, Zoro fights are really good because he is a bloody mess by the end of them and it owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Zoro/Hachi fight is also really cool, less for the fight itself and more for Zoro fighting through the pain to even stand. He's usually at a disadvantage in his fights but that's the one he's at his weakest, and it's even better when Arlong beats him later and then freaks out upon seeing the wound because someone who can fight with that gash across his chest can't possibly be real.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Blackbeard presents way more of an ideological foil to Luffy than Akainu does and a far more interesting one than "marine vs pirate". Blackbeard's also basically the guy who gets the last laugh at Marineford and the only one who really walks away from it with a victory.

I can't see him being beaten before Akainu. Though Luffy will probably take the both of them out eventually anyway.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

tsob posted:

Sengoku literally said that it was Shanks and companies win for interrupting them and getting Whitebeard's body. I disagree on the interesting too part as above, but that seems like pointless argument given that I doubt we'll change each other's minds.

Oh yeah, Shanks pretty much gets a win too. Gets in stops the war and gets out with none of his crew getting hurt. But he doesn't really gain anything from it either. Like he saves a lot of people and enables Whitebeard and Ace to have a proper burial but the Red Hair Pirates are in about the same situation they were before.

Blackbeard however uses the war as a cover to grab like 5 or so new crew members and then also steal Whitebeard's devil fruit as well. He's definitely the guy who won biggest i'd have to say.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

tsob posted:

He didn't use the war to grab those crewmates though - he used his position as a Warlord. That the war was happening at roughly the same time was essentially coincidence. Whitebeard beat Blackbeard easily. So did Sengoku. He refused to fight Shanks and a few days later he literally ran away instead of fighting Akainu despite having his entire crew there and knowing what he was doing. Akainu was such a massive obstacle he didn't mind his crew knowing he'd rather run than fight him, since they presumably understood why.

He did get Whitebeard's fruit, which was what he was there for, but it's hard to say he won when he got beat so easily twice and only achieved that when other people killed Whitebeard for him.

Yeah. Blackbeard got beaten into a crying mess by the man he betrayed and only survived thanks to the guy being old as hell and covered in wounds, and he still needed his crew to get the job done for him. But I don't know how you can call Marineford anything but a victory for Blackbeard. He comes in kills Whitebeard and steals his fruit for himself, greatly adding to his strength.

The Marines? They lost terribly. Suffered huge casualties and only managed to reignite a new pirate age.

The Whitebeard Pirates? They probably had it worst. They utterly failed in their objective of saving Ace, lost their captain, and were unable to avenge either of them.

The Red Hair Pirates do a lot better. They stop the war without firing a shot and get out with no casualties. But they basically just break even. They lose nothing but don't really gain anything either.

Marineford ends with Marshall D Teach proclaiming that this is his era, and he subsequently becomes one of the 4 emperors and crushes the remnants of his old crew in a war. Sure he got wrecked, and wrecked hard but his star's been rising ever since and while even after the timeskip I doubt he's the strongest enemy in the world he's still growing stronger and increasing his position. Just like he's been doing ever since he entered into the series. The fact that he's not the strongest in the world but has been shown slowly gaining power and notoriety just makes me think it more likely he's the "final boss" persay. Moreso than Akainu at least, who's only just a step behind him.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

And be even more flashy and useless than he is right now

He's not that flashy.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sengoku's goat is very cute.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Vivi is about as close to being a strawhat as you can be without actually being a strawhat. Even moreso than Barto and the rest of the Stawhat armada.

Jinbe is in sort of a similar position I guess. Except he's got a promise to meet up with them and he'll probably do so sooner or later.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Chapter's up.

This reveal about how fishmen who've eaten devil fruit are affect by water is super cool, and I like it a lot. Kind of removes a big disadvantage from them but at the same time they could just have to wait and starve to death at the bottom of the ocean. Which is pretty messed up.

Interesting stuff with Kidd as well. It was revealed a few chapters ago Apoo was working with Kaidou now right? Hawkins is probably around with them somewhere as well then, so Kaidou might have 4 of the supernovas involved with him since Drake's probably gonna be a part of this as well. So that's pretty interesting.

I'm interested to see where all this is going. Because man, there's a lot of different hooks being dropped everywhere and all of them are cool.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Niddhogg posted:

What's the name "killer" have to do with it?

It's a family of assassins. Still not good evidence though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Blackbeard rules. Like, more than anybody else in the series he's probably accomplished the most since it began and had the least setbacks. But every time we've actually seen him get a fight or enact his plans he always only succeeds by the skin of his teeth. Just barely managing to tough out his opponents attacks, backstabbing enemies he can't beat in a straight fight, running away from fights he knows he can't win, having his whole crew gang up on a wounded man, or just plain getting lucky. He barely manages to get away with it every time.

So he really does come off a big deal despite being a no-name at the beginning of the series, and despite having trouble with his plans every time he's appeared. It does feel like he wasn't quite at the same level as the stronger of the 7 Warlords, or the Yonkou, or the Admirals at the start of the series but he still managed to claw his way up the pyramid anyway. And after all that it makes perfect sense for him to have become one of the strongest and most dangerous pirate's of the era following the time skip.

I think he's just had a really cool and well-done set up.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Gyges posted:

Also I forgot Garp was about to murder the gently caress out of Akainu before Sengoku stopped him.

How did you forget that? It was such a good scene. :colbert:

I hope he shows up again soon. Garp's cool.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

lowercase16 posted:

I want to object to everyone saying that Blackbeard must be tough because he was a candidate to be a division commander. I read that scene entirely differently. It read to me like a young superstar getting promoted but having to get the blessing of the old guy who's been with the company for a long time. The old guy can't really object without risking his position and the young guy probably doesn't really care who got hired first, but they both have to have this conversation to be polite. A very Japanese situation.

As for Shanks' scar, we don't know how that happened. Blackbeard could have attacked him while Shanks was asleep for all we know. Or something else dirty and underhanded.

I don't think you can assume Blackbeard's tough from either of those points.

Scarring Shanks is a drat impressive accomplishment even if you had to be dirty to do it. He's one of the 4 Emperors and he ended a war with a few words.

Sure, it was probably earlier in his career but still, you've got to be one tough sonuva bitch to cause a permanent scar on someone of Shanks' level.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Boogaleeboo posted:

Or, you know, a rando fish that basically anyone around could take out now.

Hey man, that fish was King of the Coast. Give him some respect. :colbert:

But ok, good point. Shanks never had to warn anyone to not underestimate that fish though. So Blackbeard's likely on a different level.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

The origins of the Gomu-Gomu no Mi will probably be revealed when the Straw Hats finally meet up with Shanks and Ussop or Robin ask about it, cue flashback.

E: Kaidou's also probably going to send Kidd as his unwilling messenger to fight Luffy then Luffy and Kidd will team up a la Law to attack Kaidou back to reenact the trio Luffy/Law/Kidd squad like they did on Shabondy.

I don't think Kidd is the type to listen to another's orders at all, even if he was threatened with death or something. He'll probably just stay in that cell for a bit before causing some havoc for Kaidou somewhere down the line and maybe escaping on his own.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Oz fight has a lot of really cool team attacks from all the Strawhats and it owned.

I wonder if we'll ever see anything like it again.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Also whose loving bright idea was it to let Luffy cook?

Luffy's.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

tsob posted:

I'd say the same if you think Luffy would need or accept his crew's help in defeating an arc boss, or if you think he'd consider himself deserving of the status of Captain or Pirate King if he needed that help. He's had situational help with some arc bosses, like Nami driving him to Enel and the Rolling Pirates giving him shadows to fight Moria, but it's always temporary help and he always does the meat of the fight on his own. He does so because that's his role in the crew and he needs to be strong enough to do so to be able to fulfill his dream. If he's not strong enough to defeat Kaidou, why should he be the Pirate King?

If there was a personal stake then sure, but I doubt Luffy really gives a poo poo if people help him take out a dude. Especially because I really don't think Luffy considers defeating Kaidou or Big Mum to be like a necessary step to become pirate King or anything. Maybe he'd want to fight solo against Big Mum because it's to get a crew member back and that's a fairly personal feud, but even though he needs a poneglyph from her I don't think Luffy views the situation as 'before he can become pirate King he must defeat the 4 warlords'.

With Kaidou he'd probably worry about it even less. He wants to beat Kaidou to help out a friend because Momonosuke and Law both want his help in taking him out. It'll probably get more personal when the arc really starts but as of now I doubt he think he has the be the one to beat Kaidou, and that he has to do it alone. Like, against Doflamingo he wasn't against Law helping him out when the fight first began, events just happened that led to it becoming one-on-one.

Of course, he might face them by himself anyway because it's a shonen and it'll prove Luffy has reached the level of one of the strongest people in the world. But I don't really see the reason for it being that he has to win by himself to achieve his dream.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ryaomon posted:

would be cool if we could get through one page without people theorizing new lovely ways for gin or jinbe to be brought back even though they suck rear end

Jinbe is cool. :colbert:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Big Mam wasn't actually making people into food, just robbing people blind, yeah?

Last page was throwing me off so I'm not 100% sure

She's been shown eating people before and they were singing about jam made of human blood. I'd say her making people into food is fairly likely.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

it's insane how physically different helmeppo and coby are from their first appearance

Puberty is a magical thing.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

smoker hasn't been a threat since like the first time they met him

don't think smoker's ever even won a fight. the times where he might have always got interrupted

He kicked Luffy's rear end at Marineford for a moment. Then Hancock interrupted.

Not really a great threat post-timeskip though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

In Thriller Bark Nami gave some treasure to a friend. Like not even just "not stealing" from them, but literally giving away money.

Nami's come a long way.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Big Mum: Jinbe, you leaving would bring great shame to my crew, cost me a valuable resource, and leave a huge void in my organization.
Jinbe: Well, sure. :shrug:

Jinbe's hardcore.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Whoever it is there will probably be a humorous question about them in the next sbs.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Green Intern posted:

I like Shanks' pants.

He's wearing his best to whoever's wedding he's at.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Jose posted:

Roger had an uncurable disease. Luffy using the fruit like he does is killing him. Choppers dream is to cure an uncurable illness or something

I don't think the side effects of Gear 2nd are an illness.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kureha should definitely be Mercy. Or Ana.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I don't even know where you're getting that cause the pictures I've seen say nothing about a duel.

Well, I saw an image of Sanji kicking Luffy. And also Luffy saying he won't fight Sanji. So that's potentially mistakable as a duel I suppose. If you squint real hard.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

anime was right posted:

but did you notice:

Chapter 43 is titled "Introducing Sanji".
Chapter 843 is titled "Vinsmoke Sanji".

Oda does it again.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

All this is showing me is that by the end of the arc Pudding is totally going to join the Strawhats.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Big Mum is going to try to use her powers and take Brook's life force and it will accomplish absolutely nothing. It's gonna be great. :allears:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

legg benedict.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Brook is soooo goddamn cool. He is SO COOL!!!!!!!!

Also Jinbe. Jinbe is also cool. Not as cool as Brook but still pretty cool.

mabels big day posted:

I know you guys are probably talking about the new chapter, but I'm near the end of the Fishman Island arc and this is probably my favorite arc so far.

I like it a bunch as well. The flashback is extremely good, and I really liked the theme of inherited hatred.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Really the more interesting thing is why Reiji didn't say a single thing that entire conversation. She's up to something.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Brook is just so cool.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

Garp to me seems like someone who, much like Luffy, looks for the best in people beyond necessary reason. It's just where Luffy is often right about his friends and allies Garp might not be. So Garp would look at Akainu and see someone struggling with keeping the world safe and sometimes taking the wrong decisions, whereas from our perspective he's a monster. It's also sort of telling that a lot of Garp's generation remain Marines out of a sense of loyalty to their past and Sengoku as far as I can tell, who presumably at least tried to be a fair and just leader.

The World Nobles make everything worse of course, but that's because they're almost entirely terrible people.

Basically Monkey D. Garp believes whole-heartedly in being a Marine and a hero, much like Luffy believes in being a Pirate and freedom. To the point that they're the exception to the generally terrible nature of their contemparies and others in similar positions, we've seen more villainous pirates than we have good pirates and more villainous Marines than good ones and that's kind of intentional. Garp noticeably also seems to find people who are good and just, or capable of being so, and train them personally so he is trying to make the Marines a force for good. It's just one man can only do so much.

Also he seems to work against the more evil parts of the Marines in regards to his family/friends as often as he can without raising suspicion. After all he did take in Ace and the whole thing in Water 7 until he wasn't allowed to anymore. There's no way he hasn't sandbagged against Dragon in the same way so that he can continue to be leader of the Revolutionary Army.

I don't think Garp thinks Akainu is a good person, and probably doesn't like him at all. Especially after Marineford, where he almost tried to kill him after what he did to Ace.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

key party favors posted:

I wonder how Oda is going to resolve Luffy/Sanji.. Like... we all feel bad for Sanji's situation, because the narrative has been strongly leaning on him.. but holy crap.. it sucks for Luffy too... It's kind of unfair to just rely on Luffy's heart of gold and wave off Sanji utterly beating the crap out of him.... I wonder what will happen with that... I mean, I know it's Luffy but...it's tough not to feel bad for him right now.

He's going to resolve it by Sanji giving Luffy a delicious lunch.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Getting involved with the untrustworthy Mafia don who kills pirate captains for little reason and is about to betray the person he's been working under for around 2 years sounds like a great plan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Milk is a powerful elixir.