Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Has One Piece chapter 0 aka 565.5 ever had an official Viz manga release? I need a copy and willing to buy digital volume if it's included.

OH man this reminds me how much I miss Duval. The "this child is cursed!" line of chap 0 is probably my favorite single panel in the manga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Gyges posted:

That's silly. Lots of authors plan for stuff from the beginning. There's a range of writing styles ranging from planning everything out before hand to just winging it the whole way. It is however probably true that most authors don't stick with everything as they planned from the start. Of course with a good author you can rarely tell the difference between something planned from the beginning, something originally planed to work differently, and something opportunistic.

Yeah, this is what I wanted to say. Basically, there is a whole gulf between "planned out every detail before chapter 1" and "just wings everything arc to arc".

At the very least he had the idea to do something interesting with Sanji at the time of the second wanted poster which is why he obscured his face, although that wasn't too long ago either. It's conceivable that he had something planned out even sooner, possibly even sooner than the original posters, but there is really no way of knowing.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The thing I find weird about the "I hope this guy doesn't have a DF and is just really strong" thing is that it used to be super relevant when we thought logias were unbelievably overpowered and ordinary fighters couldn't compete, but became much less so since the timeskip when we learned the extent of what haki can do. Now it is something we have seen several times and is no longer this insurmountable power ceiling. Presumably Shanks and Garp still don't have DFs and use high level haki to close the power gap.

I guess if the argument is that you want to see more of these guys fighting the Strawhats that makes sense, although I understand why Oda would want something more visually interesting happening in some of these fights. Plus for the sake of interesting battles I feel like most zoans are just really strong guys: I don't think the Lucci battle would be drastically different if they just made him a really strong dude.

Tolth posted:

It's tremendously lacking in self-awareness to assume that everyone you're talking to is from the US while bitching about american exceptionalism on the internet.

Quoting this for the irony of you admonishing someone for lack of awareness as their joke saaaaiils over your head

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Niddhogg posted:

I have not read Naruto so this means nothing to me.

I read both and I don't understand what it means or why it is a bad thing? Like are we just supposed to go "oh yuck Naruto, no thanks!" without having to read a coherent argument?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Like I liked Naruto specifically when everyone did have some core gimmick and had to use it cleverly in order to outsmart an enemy. It became super dumb when everyone could just pull "that" ability out of their rear end and win the fight or block someone else's super special thing.

You seem to be arguing the opposite?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Baal posted:

At first Naruto had a lot of character gimmicks that were unique and interesting. One dude had an animal companion he uses to double team, one had puppets, one could transfer herself into the mind of another person and control them but is hurt by any pain inflicted on to them, etc. They were simple and gave variety, you get the idea. At a certain point, mostly around the second half of the series, the main characters were basically the only ones who ever had fights and fights at that point either became massive clusterfucks, one-sided battles that used the same attack or thing without any real ingenuity behind it, or were won by some mega op attack they pull out of their rear end. You rarely got to see the characters with unique abilities be used except for one who had a really good fight with an immortal dude and his only power is "I can use my shadow to do things."

A part of why I like One Piece is because they aren't that. Some get to those areas like when Zoro just dropped Asura on Kaku, but everyone is always dropping new moves and even later those new moves don't just win them fights. Hell another fight later, Luffy can't chump Lucci with Gear Second like he did Blueno, he has to fight Lucci using all of these abilities he hasn't even seen him do and adapt and it's great especially when the fight is ended through them just fighting and not some new move being pulled out. It's also really cool when someone like Nami or Usopp has a fight where they get to show the unique qualities of their abilities and it's very different from the 3 monsters.

I agree with everything you wrote here but I don't see how that has anything to do with the power template as opposed to Oda being a better writer. We established that Naruto had good fights with gimmicks at one point and that OP has had all around good fights; I think it was 100% Kishimoto becoming lazy and not understanding how to make his characters more powerful without just throwing weird powers at them.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Bisse posted:

Like, recent guys with powers like "has a spike for a head" or "has only one leg but still kicks rear end" or "is old enough to die at any second but still kicks rear end" or "is such a hard-boiled hunk" or "is a seriously mean tactician" or "marries his opponent mid-battle to stop her from killing herself" or Jesus Burgess or Kaidou are several times more interesting than ':yohoho: he ate a bite of <thing> <thing>'.

This is why the entire argument is dumb. Oda makes interesting characters because he is good at that. It literally doesn't matter if they ate a fruit or not, Oda will usually find a way to make them interesting. They are still written and drawn by the same dude. He doesn't have a history of using their DF as a crutch for characterization or phoning it in when they don't have a DF power. At some point this is all just arguing for the sake of it.

Like you just edited but "the girliest fanboy ever" is Barto and he is not any more or less interesting because he ate a devil fruit.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Fabricated posted:

Isn't Akainu also a doting grandfather to really young grandkids or something? I could've sworn he was. I know the light guy's grandson is Vegapunk's bodyguard but I swear I saw a cover picture where Akainu was chilling with his grandkids once.

Maybe I'm misremembering. My point is that Oda will do what he usually does and humanize him a bit when it comes time for him to be beaten.

I thought Axe kid called Kizaru "uncle" but swear someone said that may have been an honorific and not necessarily a family relationship. I don't remember anything with Akainu's family.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

F. Lobot posted:

Why did the government name Chopper "Cotton Candy Lover"? The only time he had ever eaten Cotton Candy was in the audience of the Davy Back Fight, while he wasn't even a member of the Strawhat's crew. Aokiji was the only marine on that island that could have seen it. He does seem like the kind of guy that would shrug off his job to watch the Pirate Games, but why would he notice Chopper is one of the hundreds in the crowd eating stadium food?

They got a picture of a weird creature eating cotton candy with the Straw Hats and thought he was their pet who loves cotton candy.

Like the entire story is told in the single panel with the reward poster.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Parrotine posted:

I don't see it? :confused:

You can't see it in this chapter, but on the previous chapter linked on this page.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Boogaleeboo posted:

I could see them getting their poo poo packed, because honestly they don't matter. They instigate things, they pick on the weak like vultures, but they themselves aren't important. Tons of people have handed them their asses and they've only survived by luck. They could just as easily get dropped again just to show off how amazing the new characters are.

Well Dragon called all of his leaders and Burgess told Admiral Blackbeard to send "everybody" so my guess is that it will be used to show off the extent of the Revolutionaries and BB pirates. My personal guess is that we will see a big battle where we see the big names we know and a few new ones on each side wreck a bunch of scrubs to show off their cool powers, but you won't see a big fight between Dragon and Blackbeard or Sabo and Shilliew or anything.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Amateur-click

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

anime was right posted:

yeah, law being a "serious, super cool guy" basically pulled straight out of another anime, then taken down to the strawhats level is what makes him funny as hell.

I've had this running theory for awhile now that one of the central themes of One Piece is the triumph of fun and friendship over adolescent cynical "badassery", which I think bears out in the fights versus Kuro and to a lesser extent Rob Lucci (who has some goofy qualities but sheds them to become a one dimensional murderous psychopath).

The way Oda uses Law kind of fits that theory as well.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

So it seems like a bunch of people on the internet think "nakama" has some kind of deeper meaning than "friend" but consulting this venn diagram there seems to be a pretty big overlap between people who think that and people who don't have any friends so maybe that explains it??

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yea I mean I don't want devil fruits to turn out to be created by the god of pirates after he defeated his demon brother or something ultra dumb like that. But there's some super basic questions that need just a simple explanation like "what actually does happen if you eat a second devil fruit" and "where exactly do these drat things even show up after their previous user dies".

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mraagvpeine posted:

If Brook ate a second fruit before he died, would he have two powers when he comes back to life?

If his first fruit just returned his soul to his body after he died, but he blew up eating the second devil fruit, would he control the various chunks of his exploded body?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

tbp posted:

the whole "nearest fruit becomes a devil fruit" thing is actually retarded

it is but it is actually rad that it is some retarded thing like that instead of "it regrows from the magic tree at the heart of mariejois"

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I thought the "floating" referred to her hovering above him and attacking

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

hahahah

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

frajaq posted:

So with the guy leaking the raws being arrested this means we won't get the new chapter for awhile?

Presumably we won't be getting the early release from the Chinese raw. WSJ officially releases Sundays or Mondays right? So we didn't get "last week's" chapter because it was on break for the issue that released at the beginning of this week, which usually leaks several days in advance. We didn't get a chapter today/tomorrow because the leaker was arrested. But at the beginning of next week we should get the chapter that would have leaked tomorrow.

Does that seem accurate?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Green Intern posted:

So Sanji is definitely captive aboard Big Mom's ship, then?

A few people keep suggesting it had something to do with Big Mom, but we saw Sanji fighting alongside the B-squad in Zou a few issues ago.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Good chapter - the B-squad don't seem to have done THAT much in the interim but still got to kick some rear end

Well, all we really saw this chapter was what happened to them exactly 11 days ago when they escaped Big Mom. They still arrived on Zou and from the way everyone talks about them it sounds like they fought off the invasion that had previously wrecked the town (they considered the arrival of the Straw Hats a "miracle"). We saw a bit of that in the previous chapter, hopefully we get to see a bit more of the specifics, before it was totally out of context craziness.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

AnonSpore posted:

A raw by definition cannot be Chinese unless it's of a Chinese manhua, because "raw" in scanlation speak means "the original" not "hoho the word bubbles have funny characters I can't understand"

:goonsay:

I thought it was "raw" as in like, "unprepared". Like it was from an actual physical copy that had not been scanned, cleaned up, translated, etc.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

AnonSpore posted:

Sort of. These days you have stuff like web versions of magazines where the "raws" are just extracted pdfs and such, so the meaning has shifted more to mean "unedited image files (whether from a website, an e-book, or as actual scans from a paper book), in the original language," but yours was probably where the terminology comes from. That said, Chinese scanlations don't apply to either definition.

ok that makes sense

Green Intern posted:

What is Scratchmen Apoo up to these days?

Alliance with Kid and Hawkins I think

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I wonder if Usopp's bounty needs another one with the villagers, complete with insane Oda faces when they realise it's him.

It can go where Brook's would go, since there's no-one left alive to care about his except a whale.

They'll have Crocus showing Laboon and him bellowing happily and it will be magical

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mechanigma posted:

Maybe the constant close-ups of Jack's eyes are Oda's response to everyone complaining about never seeing Dofy's eyes. Although after reading vol 76 it seems like we actually saw Dofy's eye on this page??

I don't remember this page at all, woah. Do they ever add pages in the collected volumes?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Why do you keep doing this to us Dunkle Sans

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Capone rules. It took me a sec to figure out what was going on when he plopped into the dining room, but when I realized I was floored. I also think it is a bit of a copout that "my generic pirates with guns are much stronger than the regular brand of pirates with guns" but at least it makes him more of a viable threat.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Guy A. Person posted:

They'll have Crocus showing Laboon and him bellowing happily and it will be magical

Leavin' dis here

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

EDIT: double post somehow

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 21, 2016

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It was also Brook who said it, which means it could have been a noble family who did something infamous back when he was originally active/alive. It does seem like nowadays they mostly stay isolated, but that may have not always been the case with every single family.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Pureauthor posted:

Vinsmoke is a funny name.

Vinsmoke vinsmoke vinsmoke

:agreed:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Sub Harrison posted:

To be fair Luffy was a grand-line tier captain all throughout the East Blue arcs. Hos enemies only put up a fight cause luffy kept getting thrown in cages, water hazards, logias and hypnotism.

Yeah it wasn't until basically CP9 that anyone was able to clearly outclass Luffy in both speed and power. And then he just did a wacky power up and beat the poo poo out of everyone anyway.

I kind of wish that things were still basically that way. I don't mind there being stronger and faster people but I don't like how there was such a distinct and universal divide between New World crew and Grand Line crew during the Summit War. Like some random jobber on Whitebeard's crew is stronger than the strongest captains from the Grand Line just because they need to be or whatever.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah does Luffy have a no killing policy? Oda obviously does and uses the "broken spirit" reasoning. Luffy beats the crap out of his opponents and usually this accomplishes whatever goals the crew has. Luffy's not Batman and none of the villains are like The Joker where Luffy is torn between not wanting to kill but knowing these people will come back and torture and murder his family. Still, I can't see Luffy ever intentionally killing anyone just because of his personality, I guess we'll see if that is a story Oda wants to tell.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

dordreff posted:

Jinbe is not stronger than Luffy, and therefore is not too strong to join the crew without being handicapped. He's fine.

Yeah Jinbe was stronger pre-time skip but definitely not as strong after Luffy's training.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Crazyeyes posted:

Not to argue, but post-skip Jinbe is probably stronger than pre-skip Jinbe as well...

Oh yeah definitely as well, just that while everyone got stronger Luffy went to a whole different level. For example I would have said Law was on Luffy's level pre-timeskip, and now I think Luffy is clearly stronger.

Power levels are dumb anyway but Luffy is definitely moving from "plucky hero who has help from more powerful allies" to one of the main powerful dudes himself

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

oddium posted:

who's that skeleton with a cane sword drawn ?? and don't tell me it's Brook because brook is obviously behind the wheel sans sword on the opposite page

This is the answer. On the right side everyone is putting away their weapons/gear from fighting the ants. On the left side everyone has put their stuff away and has moved elsewhere on the ship.

There isn't a mystery stowaway. Shannon didn't get stabbed. Michael Scott didn't say "I acquit!"

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I might be wrong but aren't they talking about the official release, which scans are usually 5 or so days ahead of?

(so the last chapter that we got was posted June 30th but was for the July 4th release, and a July 18 return makes sense)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Julias posted:

You're right.

Nailed it!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

U-DO Burger posted:

Well yeah, I'm just saying I think there's more to it than that

Yeah the part where Iva turned him from a woman into a man probably duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Franky being the lowest rated Straw Hat is a war crime. Bomb Japan I say.