Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Bad Seafood posted:

I stalled out reading One Piece back in 2010, I think. Got about as far as the Foxy fight. Anyway, since it's been awhile, I'm gonna be rereading the series (rather than just picking up where I left off), and hope it's alright to share my second impressions in here (even though I'm way behind).
Thing about One Piece, it's the sort of series when you catch up, you'll wish there was more. Definitely interested in seeing reactions to stuff past the Foxy fight, since you quite literally right before the best arc in the entire series, Water Seven, which is only rivaled by the Sabaody -> War of the Best arc.

That being said, I highly suggest posting your reactions without reading the thread proper until you've caught up, as people routinely post stuff that would be massive spoilers to you untagged, and trust me, some of them are better off as a surprise rather than knowing they're coming.

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Thank god Dressrosa is over, only one good thing came out of that arc.

I mean you can boil it down to a partially-right snipe if you want, even if you're mostly wrong

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh, don't worry, doflamingo gets his time in the spotlight. He just doesn't know when to get off the stage, is all.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Foxy was a good villain and his crew was a bad crew

I loving love incompetent boobs with overwhelming superpowers that are too stupid to use them properly, like Ice Man from X-Men who isn't a dude who makes ice, that's just because he's too dumb to realize he has the power of thermal energy manipulation.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Prison Warden posted:

I don't have my manga copy to hand, but basically Ussop is just talking about Afros in reference to some old famous Japanese boxer. There's no racial element at all and that "power of the blacks" thing is just some loving bizarre-rear end fan translation thing.

Yeah. It's literally in reference to this dude and has absolutely nothing to do with black people. The scanlator was racist, not Oda.

I Love Annie May posted:

I still can't believe they made you a mod.
Thanks for your drive-by snipe without contributing a single thing you worthless poo poo

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
ODA DOES IT AGAIN

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The most important part: Usopp's face is on there now. There's no way his village can deny it's him, which is kinda what I was expecting once the story was over and he went home, that the wanted poster having Sogeking on it would lead to nobody believing he made anything of himself out there. But that's out the window for sure now!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
A second read-around lets you focus on more subtle things, especially stuff in the background, because One Piece has a ton of them. I've always referred to Oda as Chekhov's Arsenal, he's just got an entire closet full of his guns.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TheFallenEvincar posted:

:lol: Oda made a mad bomber of government buildings named Abdullah

I thought that subtitle was a mistranslation? But yeah, he's based on Abdullah the Butcher, though, a professional wrestler. Many characters in that arc are based on pro wrestlers throughout the history of the sport, the giant, Hajrudin, is straight-up Macho Man Randy Savage and as Begemot said, so's Jeet.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Why do people still toxx themselves.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Kaido has the nyan-nyan fruit, which makes him incredibly lucky(that fortune cat thing) and immune to height damage passively, but makes him sprout adorable kitty ears and whiskers when he activates it

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This is absolutely the sort of poo poo I love about one piece. The impossible, fantastical poo poo like skypiea, island-sized sea monsters, or this one atop the back of a millenia-old eyeless titanic pachyderm

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Bad Seafood posted:

Yeah, now that I think about it. What was up with Crocodile's poison? Was it just a numbing agent? I sure didn't see Luffy chug an antidote. Not a big deal though I suppose.

Actually it'd be kinda funny in a grim sort of way if Luffy simply bled out all the poison.
I really like your impressions and rundowns of stuff you've read, but if you're still going in blind and haven't been spoiled on a lot of later stuff, I really wish you'd not read this thread entirely except to make your impression posts. :x

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I actually kinda wish he'd stuck with the original artstyle, or improved his skill while keeping that style. At the very least, with the women characters.

I prefer chapter one Shanks to the current Shanks, look-wise, for example. And don't get me started on Nami.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Advice posted:

This has been a history lesson from a guy who's been reading this poo poo for way too long.
Please source your quotes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is there a new chapter yet

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

lowercase16 posted:

There's always a new chapter.

... in your heart.

"Sniper island", a nickname for the incredibly deadly one piece heartworm

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

tbp posted:

ah so whos that likely to be. probably someone we already know right
It's Gin!

Jose posted:

makes sense since we only saw part of his face. hopefully not morgan because then these threads will never stfu about gin coming back
Too late!!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It is a foolish dream, but I can only hope this is not misdirection in this chapter

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I like that theory because it'd be a prince in distress instead of a damsel

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Shinjobi posted:

I'm blaming you.:mad:

GEEEEEETTTT DUNKED ON

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Capone has an amazing design and power, why do you hate him

Like he hasn't exactly been used much but neither have most of the non-Law supernovas(unfortunately! I wanna see more Scratchman)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've never really thought of him as a non-one piece character. His power is he's a living barracks, his body is staffed by his entire crew who can exit at any time and return to full size. So he can launch a platoon of soldiers out of his legs or cavalry out of his chest, like what happened when he was first introduced. It's a unique and neat power.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Kuroyama posted:

Capone and Uroge seem like the most superfluous of the Supernovas.

Almost every single supernova outside of law has been completely superfluous so far. Even kidd has been a nonentity for the majority of his existence.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TheKingofSprings posted:

That's because most of them were superfluous; they were pretty much made up on the spot for Sabaody.

I know that. But that doesn't mean Oda couldn't have or can't do anything with them. Hopefully they'll play a bigger role eventually, and Capone becoming a big mom lackey is the beginnings of it seeing as how he came into direct conflict with the strawhats.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah but they've been almost entirely in the background even then. Capone showing up is the first case of one getting involved directly with the strawhats since Sabaody outside of law, and so it may become a more common occurrence for them to come to blows with the strawhats hopefully.

I'm most interested in apoo and Bonney showing up again though

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Motherfucker's talking for almost an entire anime episode's length about a single chapter

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Baller as poo poo.
This is the only color spread to just make me stop and soak it all in. It's amazingly good

Chapter wasn't half bad either. Seems like Jack is going to reveal his human form next chapter maybe?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I am very opposed to the hanging outs with of cats.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

he looks like a bad influence imo

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Considering Oda smokes like a looney toon, it's more surprising that there's so few smokers in his manga

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
God

drat

NOODLEWOMEN

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That was a helluva condensed flashback

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Don't forget lion musketeer

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Prison Warden posted:

Michael Luffy is my favourite character.

I literally choked when I saw that, gently caress

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mulderman posted:

Luffy punched Vivi straight in the face though.
And miss Valentine now that I think of it.

That was at least ten years ago, almost 15

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It doesn't in the context of current one piece and the argument that he only punches uggos

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

QuantaStarFire posted:

What are the odds that every one of Sanji's family members has curly brows?

one has a curly moustache

one has a curly goatee

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Then they wouldn't be mooks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'm calling it now, Pudding's going to turn out to be super attractive and actually a good thing for Sanji. And, in a first for him, he'll turn down/postpone it so he can keep on going with the Straw Hats until they reach Raftel.

If sanji goes from womanizer to "I'm sorry miss, but I have someone waiting for me!" That will be much more entertaining than his current schtick