Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

quakster posted:

Since this is by far the worst OP thread I've read so far, I gotta ask: What's the general thread consensus on D standing for Devil or some in-universe equivalent? Seems p. likely, IMO.

Given the ability for one's will to survive your death and be found in generations to come, especially with the will of D it's more likely to be Dharma.

We haven't come across any Ds that are just hateful assholes have we? Other than Blackbeard who is claimed to be a fake D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jose posted:

its a bit ludicrous that all these characters have d in the name and we still don't know what it is

Wonder how many times Chuck D gets asked about it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cat Machine posted:

Further to the "Sanji is a prince who is deliberately concealing his identity" chat, check out this eyecatch from ~10 years ago in the anime:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTuiGO0PZFA

:supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn:

I'm missing something, what is the super secret unseen thing in this?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Which volume?

She's going to be one of the people in the crowd at Roger's execution or some other crowd shot, isn't she?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Parrotine posted:

I thought Dragon was his biological dad? What's afro dude got to do with it

With Ivankov around gender doesn't really mean much. Luffy's mom could be a dude now. Hell, Dragon could technically be Luffy's mom from a temporary fit of Ivankov fancy.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Silver2195 posted:

Except Ivankov didn't know Dragon had a family.

Sometimes you gotta send your gender switching buddy on a 9-10 month mission.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ryaomon posted:

If you think he was planning this all out from the beginning than I don't know what to tell you man, no author plans that far ahead except for the ones who suck and only sell 1 part of their planned 19 part novel series before getting canned.

That's silly. Lots of authors plan for stuff from the beginning. There's a range of writing styles ranging from planning everything out before hand to just winging it the whole way. It is however probably true that most authors don't stick with everything as they planned from the start. Of course with a good author you can rarely tell the difference between something planned from the beginning, something originally planed to work differently, and something opportunistic.

Which is to say Sanji is actually Joy Boy, having lost his memory and is now wanted by the government.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Broseph Brostar posted:

Brook is the cool skeleton pal that makes bone puns, what more do you need?

I rewatched the end of Sabaody in the anime the other day and was impressed he took the time to make a :yohoho: as Kuma came for him. Disappeared just as he was finishing the punchline.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Brook is the only one to turn down fame and fortune so that he can go pirate with some kids young enough to be his great grand kids. And also go see a whale.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TheFallenEvincar posted:

It does feel like Oda's pages are a lot more crowded now though, compared to early One Piece, I like manga with a willingness to explore the beauty of open space

Let me tell you about the complex exploration of open space seen in the background of Bleach...

kinmik posted:

It just occurred to me that the introduction of Luffy's vivrecard is only there so we can see it slowly burn away at some point in the future, like Chekhov's Ace's gun card. :saddowns: That'll probably be the signal for the Strawhat Armada to assemble for the climactic battle.

That didn't really make any sense when it happened with Ace. Why did it just start burning when he was in Impell Down? Like, how does it differentiate between the guy being in a prison and chilling out at the bottom of the Moby Dick? Get the poo poo kicked out of him in an island wide fight with Blackbeard, that makes sense to cause your vivre card to react.

Do vivre cards magically repair themselves? Like if Ace hadn't given in to the weakest, most obvious, taunting since Marty McFly was called a chicken, would Luffy's bit of the card have unburned itself?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jose posted:

did you forget that everyone in impel down gets tortured all the time

In secret level 6 you just hang out in your cell, bored and shackled to the wall. The other 5 levels are full of torture. Once you pass the entrance torture hazing you just get bored and talk to other super notorious guys in other cells.

Sometimes the warden comes down and gets pissed so he sprays the place with poison, but that's pretty rare. Even if there's an escape attempt they just douse the place with knock out gas.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Prison Warden posted:

Nah, if I remember right they pretty regularly send down like the Minotaurus and such down to beat on them with a giant spiked club.

Ace's vivre card is still burning down as he's just standing in an elevator, sitting on a ship, and then sitting on a scaffold. Considering the vivre cards does simply grow back once the danger is gone, it's probably some sort of 4th wall breaking magical knowledge.

Or you could just keep your own card around like a hacked Spidey sense. poo poo guys, we're in deep poo poo. My vivre card is smoking, watch out for an ambush!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Parrotine posted:

Nah, I ain't buying it. He's known as Kaidou of the Beasts, it'd be weird of he was the only dude who had no fruit.

I feel like the only dude who shouldn't have a fruit is Roger or something

He just does amazing animal noises. Like, sound effects guy from Police Academy level.

oddium posted:

i miss jinbei

I don't miss him half as much as I miss those happy, happy whale sharks.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The idea that jumping on air, lighting yourself on fire, turning into a 3 headed Hindu god, cutting a mountain in half, controlling weather with your bo staff, or turning yourself into a cyborg are any less super powers than being made of rubber because you didn't eat a magic fruit is just dumb.

Namor being a mutant Atlantean doesn't actually have anything to do with him being different from non-mutant Atlantean Aqua Man.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Tolth posted:

No one would win against like half of all Paramecias if they used their powers in the smartest possible way. And that's not including the man who has nanomachines that let him move at light speed.

No one would win against any of the logias if they used their powers in the smartest possible way.

Is tha...(instantly killed by freezing to death, burning to death, being turned to sand, hit by lightning, hit by a laser, sucked into a black hole, suffocated before you know it through gas substitution)

Actually there's Smoker and Caribou. I think they're the only logias who can't kill you before you even know what happened. Suddenly being engulfed in smoke without knowing where it's coming from and suffocating or suddenly sinking into a bottomless swamp is probably a shittier way to die though.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TheKingofSprings posted:

They're gonna get boiled alive by Akainu, there are too many important established fightmans to get through to bother with these jerks who may not even be fightmen

They'll probably end up being the real end bosses, with whatever revelations the Strawhats find on Raftel causing a massive shake up with portions of the Marines turning on the government.

I really kind of want Luffy to be fighting someone and Akainu tries to do an rear end in a top hat sucker punch, only for Garp to punch him across the battlefield. Sabo is way more likely to be the one to actually take Akainu out, but I hope Garp at least gets a lick or two of payback in.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

F. Lobot posted:

Why did the government name Chopper "Cotton Candy Lover"? The only time he had ever eaten Cotton Candy was in the audience of the Davy Back Fight, while he wasn't even a member of the Strawhat's crew. Aokiji was the only marine on that island that could have seen it. He does seem like the kind of guy that would shrug off his job to watch the Pirate Games, but why would he notice Chopper is one of the hundreds in the crowd eating stadium food?

Perhaps, and I admit this is a crazy notion, he ate cotton candy off panel at Water 7. They did have a bit of down time and that is when everyone else got their pictures taken/updated. After all, Chopper does in fact love cotton candy after all.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Can you even get a bounty without also getting some sort of nickname in One Piece?

I do still kind of chuckle that Kidd only got "Captain". What a boring nickname for a Captain.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

AnonSpore posted:

There have been worse in real life. Billy (actually Henry) "the Kid," for instance.

Kild posted:

its not like red hair or straw hat is much better

All of these take more thought and work than just deciding that the captain shall now be known as Captain.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Is Weeble supposed to be the mysterious, un-named Warlord who killed Z's family and cut off his arm? He seems more like a new guy getting promoted now that Luffy done messed up the Warlord ranks again.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

anime was right posted:

luffy will talk to it and it will tell him something about the history of the world

no question

The Elephant explains everything to Luffy in detail, finishing the story by saying that he only talks once every 400 years or so. Luffy then comments that he wasn't paying attention, but can the elephant see any delicious meat from up here?

Luckily Luffy will immediately forget all about it. Robin would be crushed if she knew.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cody Banks posted:

Dressrosa was supposed to be Alabasta 2.0 but it was way too cluttered and meandering. Also no one cares about the dwarves/Riku family.

Disagree. I think most people are just fine with the Riku family sans Rebecca and the Tontata minus Mancherry.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

This is what a mink looks like:

A lot of you seemed to be having trouble with this, hope I helped

I feel bad for you. You're still waiting to see a fishman.

After all, this is what a fish looks like:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mulderman posted:

The term "Fish" can be used in a much broader sense that Mink... Just saying man.

Yes, absolutely. Just because they're called minkmen doesn't mean they're all minks though. It might, but it's a little early to start calling people out by posting pictures of minks.

Especially when there's apparently a Japanese pop star called Mink. Let's just watch her music videos instead of arguing about minkmen, who all we know about is that they live on an elephant and are worth 700,000 as slaves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCFAvTrjip8

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TriffTshngo posted:

That's because nobody from Fishman Island is worth remembering.

Fisher Tiger.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I'm looking forward to Weeble getting destroyed by someone. Not a fan of dumb poo poo Lennies being controlled by their rear end in a top hat moms.

Hands down the worst part of the Adams Family movie.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Now that I'm caught up I really want Weeble to be legit his son tho, if I only because of all the tard fans out there freaaaaaking out and going NO WAI HE'S NOT BADASS ENOUGH TO BE THE REAL SON

Cuz it's like, this is how it actually works guys, this is why hereditary monarchies don't work out and why Napoleon II wasn't gonna be a great general. I kinda like the humorous realism of Whiteboard screwing some gold digging broad years ago and having a broken (though still kind of Whitebeardy) son. It's mundane and amusing for me.

Plus he doesn't fundamentally seem like a bad guy, that's more his mom.

I don't want it to be true just because Weeble's mom is so tiny and Whitebeard was so gigantic. That's some hosed up poo poo that you'd have to pay a few bucks to see in Tijuana back in the '50s.

ZiegeDame posted:

The best part about this development is the reminder that Whitebeard's family name is Edward.

Is it? In One Piece people have their Surnames first and last with little reasoning other than general feel rightness.

Also I'd find it hilarious if Weeble's mom just assumed Whitebeard's surname was Edward when it was actually Newgate.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
How many times has Luffy ended up getting poisoned anyway? Don Krieg, Crocodile, himself via mushrooms on Amazon Lilly, Magellon several times, Octopus guy at Fisman Island, Caesar Clown. Am I missing any?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Silver2195 posted:

I thought he did get an antidote.

Pretty sure Robin gave him her stash of antidote and told him to let her die down there. Luffy of course took the antidote and than climbed out with Robin and Nefertiti on his back before collapsing.

I'm pretty sure she also got tagged with the poison hook though, so one of them probably was in desperate need of some antidote. Dr. Chopper?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Broseph Brostar posted:

Kinda late, but that was actually Fester in the Adams Family movie.

I hope the same thing happens with Weeble where he is the legit son of Whitebeard despite seeming fake the whole time.

I meant the part where he was a dumb Lennie being controlled by his mom. It was indeed a poor choice sense he actually was long lost Fester.

Really though, anything taking time away from Raul Julia in that movie was a bad thing.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Here is a preview of an upcoming 40 min documentary about Oda's studio.

Look at his loving toilet, just look at it!

http://kotaku.com/one-pieces-creato...dium=Socialflow

Is that a Moray Eeel that slides out to reveal toilet paper?

That is the coolest loving toilet that any boy could ever dream of.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Crazyeyes posted:

The question on everyone's mind: Does Weeble wobble? And if so, does he fall down? More as the story as it develops...

Of course he falls down. Dude has the exact opposite weight distribution of one of those bop bag clowns.

The worst weeble.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

JosephWongKS posted:

Luffy, Zoro, Ussop and Law all turned their heads around at the mention of "ninja". Even Law is excited about ninja. :allears:

And Robin doesn't care.

Crazyeyes posted:

I wouldn't say his DF is "one of the strongest" except in the sense that it's part of the "strongest" classification of fruits (logia( ignoring mythical zoan which is currently arguably strongest)). It's definitely a strong ability but apparently is hard countered by the magma- man and everybody and their mother uses haki now so the logia invulnerability is not as big a deal as it once was.

Despite Magma Man's claims to the contrary, Ace seemed to be doing fine. The only real reason that he lost is that Luffy was doing dumb Luffy poo poo and stopped paying attention. So Ace had to purposefully take a fist that hosed up Whitebeard with no protection. If the fight had gone on without interruption it likely would have lead to more or less a stalemate. Yeah, magma's hot as poo poo, but Ace could apparently reach solar temps.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Asuron posted:

Uhh it's entirely Ace's fault. He turned back to take taunts from a man that was obviously goading him, immediately got beaten in their first clash because magma beats fire in this scenario ( don't know why, but if candlewax beats poison no point questioning it) and Luffy who is basically on fumes at this point ( How is he doing anything dumb here? If anything he's the level headed one out of the two when he tells Ace to ignore him and keep running) collapses on the spot. Ace would've lost if they kept fighting and Luffy collapsing just sped up that result.

If anything blame the Whitebeard pirates for not forming up around them and getting them the hell out of there, instead of only putting Luffy who is clearly exhausted and about ready to collapse as his only defense.

Ace is absolutely a dumb gently caress for falling for the weakest goading since Marty McFly was called chicken. Oh no, the super jackass who hates pirates anyway is talking poo poo about people. Also the guy who he is talking poo poo about is right over there and just declared he's going out in a blaze of glory. poo poo's about to take care of itself.

Luffy however didn't just collapse, so Ace ended up defending him. Luffy was loving around with his vivre card and not paying attention. Yeah, Ace should have ignored Akainu and kept running and he should have known Luffy was close to done, but Luffy's the one who got distracted in the middle of a super war.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Millions posted:

Didn't the anime completely ruin Hody's part in the cycle of human-fishman hatred by changing his "I have no logical reason to hate humans" motivation to "some humans were pricks to me as a kid"?

Instead of the humans having never done anything directly to Hodi, he instead just growing up steeped in hate, the anime decided to have Hodi and his gang almost get caught by slavers. Like, already in nets, totally hosed, but rescued by Arlong and the gang.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It's Ace filler which isn't great, but it is at least expanding on them crossing the desert. Usually the anime just ads a side adventure that happen in between manga adventures, like the dragons in East Blue or the worthless Phoenix Pirates and the dumb bounty hunter family.(I think they managed to use both the magma and phoenix fruits here on filler characters) It's easy to skip them and they're generally non-offensive.

Outside of Ennis Lobby, there's very little pacing problems coming from the anime itself until you hit whatever your limit is in the stretch of Amazon Lilly to Marineford. That's when the anime decides gently caress it, who cares about quality or enjoyment, I'm just gonna cash these checks and put in the bare minimum.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Still don't think Blackbeard will be the final boss.

As much as Blackbeard is Luffy's foil and they will definitely throw down, he's going to be the penultimate boss. Luffy wants to be free to do whatever he wants, that's why he's become a pirate and why his dream is to be King of the Pirates. Blackbeard is not the actual obstacle to that. Blackbeard is the obstacle to Luffy's grand adventure to follow Roger and find the One Piece, however he's not doing anything to make Luffy less free. The only people doing that are the Marines and the World Government.

We know that the World Government is oppressive and have created the void century. It's the void century and the will of D. and the Revolutionary Army that are the over arching plot of the story. Landing on Raftel and finding One Piece just clears up what happened and gives Luffy and the crew the information to decide what to do. Roger and his crew left it there because they could not do anything with it. In order to become the true King of the Pirates Luffy will have to do something against the government that is obstructing not only his freedom but the freedom of others. Reverie also plays into this along with the Ponyglyphs, various royals, celestial dragons, and such.

Looking at pile of still dangling threads and the themes established, Blackbeard just doesn't fit the role of ultimate bad guy. He's just a real big rear end in a top hat that's going to be getting in Luffy's way. Likely providing an alternative solution to the problems should he prevail over Luffy. Likely Blackbeard and Luffy will have a showdown that, in a predestination fate sense, determines the course of events from there. Luffy is going to be championing freedom while Blackbeard will be taking the same information and parallel path to instead try and rule the world. Once the fight between Luffy and Blackbeard is settled, then the final fight commences to overthrow the government and their corrupt order.

Luffy will probably still end up an outlaw, being chased by Admiral Colby as the story closes, but the World Government as is will be gone and everyone will have the freedom to follow their dreams no matter their class, race, or wealth. Maybe we'll even see some happy families giving kids nice childhoods without horrible tragedies.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Yeah, I really want Garp to finish what Whitebeard started. Just grandpa punching that shitbag into the ground permanently.

Cloks posted:

Crazy theory: The five giants leaving Buggy's crew are literal giants. They're joining up with the giants serving under Luffy.

They are the giants who just joined up with Luffy.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Veskit posted:

I thought that was heavily implied not a theory?

It's explicitly stated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Last Celebration posted:

Luffy, Sanji and Zoro all sensed something was wrong with Nami and Usopp when Ceaser got to them in Punk Hazard. Also, Zoro sensed an ominous evil aura when Vergo started tearing into G5, but only Sanji heard Tashigi's thoughts which makes sense since he's the Observation specialist according to the SBSes.

That's just silly. It's because she's a lady, and has about as much to do with haki as his diable jambe.