Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Like Bullock isn't going to see through Clayface right off the bat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ivy? They made her IVY?
No. NonoNOnonono...

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Bruceski posted:

Ivy? They made her IVY?
No. NonoNOnonono...

She's always been Ivy Pepper.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

twistedmentat posted:

She's always been Ivy Pepper.

Not her, Fish.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Bruceski posted:

Not her, Fish.

Oh I see what you mean, how Fish is now Poison Ivy. As if she couldn't be more obnoxious.

I am honestly surprised that Ivy has not made a friend in a Harleen Quinzel. She's basically the only major Batman villain that hasn't shown up in some form. I guess there's Man-Bat.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Oh good, Fish is back.

:bang:

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
I guess I just never really minded Fish in season 1. Didn't really mind her here, either.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Fish is back, and her special back-from-the-dead power is that she can trick people into bringing her delicious sandwiches.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gonz posted:

Fish is back, and her special back-from-the-dead power is that she can trick people into bringing her delicious sandwiches.

I hope Penguin brings her one of his special sandwiches

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Gonz posted:

If this was all she actually could do, It would be so much better. Just a steady stream of people bringing her sandwiches.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Gawain The Blind posted:

If this was all she actually could do, It would be so much better. Just a steady stream of people bringing her sandwiches.

Fish: (touches Butch) Now... KILL Penguin, and bring me his head on a silver platter! (There's a flash of light from her hand to his, signifying that the mind control message has been sent.)

Butch steps back, pauses, looks at his hand curiously, then confusedly turns around and walks away. He returns several minutes later (camera rolling on Fish the entire time as she makes ridiculous gestures to the scenery, gnawing on every bit of it she can). His mallet hand is beneath a silver platter, and it is being steadied by its lid, which Butch's actual hand is holding carefully.

Butch: Here you go, Miss Money! Hope you enjoy it! (He holds the platter out.)

Fish: You did good, Butch, really good. (She takes the platter.) Hmmm... seems kind of light; I was expecting it to be several pounds heavier... what is that on your arm??

Butch: (Tolds up his mallet hand. The mallet has been replaced by a spatula, which is now attached to his arm. It is a nice spatula.) Oh, this? Boss had it made special for me. I didn't have time to change it off; I had to get this to you for some uncontrollable reason.

Fish removes the lid. There, on the platter, is a grilled cheese sandwich. She looks at Butch, who is smiling with pride and confusion. She turns around and shouts to nobody. ... ... ... EVERYONE, OUT!!!!!

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
Oh great Fish Mooney is back. Just when the show is getting interesting. :(

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Lowtechs posted:

Yup, such a good run of eps ended here.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

tarlibone posted:

EVERYONE, OUT!!!!!

FADE IN

INT. THE BATCAVE

FISH stands before BATMAN, dressed in an outlandish costume made out of re-purposed green trash bags and glitter.

FISH
So, batman. I HAVE infiltrated your LAIR, and managed to REACH YOU. And now... Don't you want to MAKE me a SANDWICH?

BATMAN is at first angry, but as she touches him, the light drains from his eyes and he slowly starts to smile.

BATMAN
Y... yes, of course. A... A grilled cheese sandwich?

FISH laughs maniacally

FADE TO FULL SCREEN PHOTOGRAPH OF CHEESE SANDWICH

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Put some ham in that grilled cheese sandwich to make the show's title a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Lowtechs posted:

Why are people focusing on this instead of the Court of Owls? I mean holy poo poo, Fish was in the ep for less than 5 minutes (pretty inoffensively, too).

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Cryohazard posted:

Why are people focusing on this instead of the Court of Owls? I mean holy poo poo, Fish was in the ep for less than 5 minutes (pretty inoffensively, too).

What? You think Fish is only going to be a cameo?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Cryohazard posted:

You might as well ask, "Why are people focusing on the return of an intensely hated character played in an annoying fashion by an overrated actress instead of this other obscure reference that only the comic book fans even know about?"

Except then, well, the answer is kind-of obvious.

(Seriously. I've seen more Batman stuff on TV than I care to admit, but I've never seen any comic books featuring him. This is the first I've heard of the Court of Owls, and that's assuming you mean the old lady with the puffy masquerade disguise.)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Court of Owls is a recent thing, just from the last couple of years.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Comic spoilers The Court of Owls is a secret society within Gotham that has secretly controlled Gotham from the very start, made up of the most powerful families in the city. They have all kinds of secret hidy holes all over the city, and control an army of undead assassins called Talons. They were opposed by the Waynes early on, but when they killed the founder of the Wayne's that opposition was gone, and they just let the Waynes operate at their suffrage. Oh they totally know Bruce is Batman and let him do his little costume adventures because it didn't interfere with their plans. Though eventually Bruce discovers them and goes to take them down, and they trap him in a maze full of Lsd water and the issue is pretty cool.

I think that's about right, it's been a while since i read the early New52 Batman issues.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The also feature heavily in Batman vs Robin.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4324274/

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I've missed the last episode, but on the subject of Ivy Pepper: There was a comment in an earlier episode with her character that I don't think ever got touched upon in more recent ones, and I'm sort of surprised given what's been happening at Indian Hill.

When Selina finds a sick Ivy somewhere, she tells her she needs to get some medical help or something. Ivy's really sickly response is someting about how she doesn't want to see any more doctors.

As the Indian Hill/Pinewood Farms was developing, I was sort of expecting that there'd be a reveal at some point that Ivy was going to turn out to also be part of the Indian Hill/Arkham experimentation or study.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The thing I found most annoying with Fish was that she grabbed that dude and demanded a Grilled Cheese Sandwhich like that line was supposed to mean something. I was honestly like "wait how does she know she has weird powers".

That's completely irrelevant compared to B.D. loving Wong as the absolute goddamn showstealer in like every single scene. Seriously. I'm watching for him and Bullock more than anything else.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
I hate to be "That Guy" here, but I'm playing catch up and avoiding spoilers since I'm only half way through season 2. A friend slipped that Fish comes back, so I'm wondering if anyone knows if it's long term or just a few episodes. I love this show but JP Smith almost annoyed me into giving up in season 1, and if she's back as a regular I don't really want to spend the time catching up just to end up watching her ham it up again.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Frankenstyle posted:

I hate to be "That Guy" here, but I'm playing catch up and avoiding spoilers since I'm only half way through season 2. A friend slipped that Fish comes back, so I'm wondering if anyone knows if it's long term or just a few episodes. I love this show but JP Smith almost annoyed me into giving up in season 1, and if she's back as a regular I don't really want to spend the time catching up just to end up watching her ham it up again.

Well, the next eps the season finale ... so you only have one more episode with her!

until the cliffhanger when Penguin finds out she's alive and we have to do that all over again next season

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
They had an amazing fan-loved character that they murdered because they didn't actually want The Joker yet, but the person they bring back from the dead is stupid Fish Mooney. :(

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I really hope they go through all this effort to bring her back and then she's just killed in the finale, hopefully via rocket launcher.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

muscles like this? posted:

I really hope they go through all this effort to bring her back and then she's just killed in the finale, hopefully via rocket launcher.

Such a gloriously beautiful end is too good for her. I want her to raise an army after recruiting yet another heavy in a suit to be her right hand man. (That's her main superpower.) Then, with an army of sandwichmakers, she steps out to reclaim her place on the throne of Gotham's organized crime underworld.

Steps out right in front of a bus, I mean. Her army scatters. She gets up, clearly gravely injured, and is promptly hit again, causing her to splatter like that bad guy at the end of Robocop who'd been dipped in toxic waste. Cut to her face, which is laying flat on the pavement.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Colonial Air Force posted:

They had an amazing fan-loved character that they murdered because they didn't actually want The Joker yet, but the person they bring back from the dead is stupid Fish Mooney. :(

Actually, do we know if Strange have Jerome's body?

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Detective No. 27 posted:

Actually, do we know if Strange have Jerome's body?
I think it was in one of the vats at the end of the mid-season episode.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Jerome was definitely in a vat.
Weren't the first few episodes made well before airing though? Surely whilst they must have an inkling which characters will be popular its not really George RR levels of killing off favorites because gently caress you thats why; the guy was only in a handful of episodes at the start of this season.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

Comic spoilers The Court of Owls is a secret society within Gotham that has secretly controlled Gotham from the very start, made up of the most powerful families in the city. They have all kinds of secret hidy holes all over the city, and control an army of undead assassins called Talons. They were opposed by the Waynes early on, but when they killed the founder of the Wayne's that opposition was gone, and they just let the Waynes operate at their suffrage. Oh they totally know Bruce is Batman and let him do his little costume adventures because it didn't interfere with their plans. Though eventually Bruce discovers them and goes to take them down, and they trap him in a maze full of Lsd water and the issue is pretty cool.

I think that's about right, it's been a while since i read the early New52 Batman issues.

That sounds super dumb. I hope they do none of that.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

That sounds super dumb. I hope they do none of that.

They have already shown a member of the court so they are coming. I assume that Jerome only had a few episode contract as he has shameless to get back to.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Do people really hate Fish? I thought she was great.

I mean definitely not in the way the show runners intended but her acting makes Shatner seem subtle.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

SpookyLizard posted:

I mean definitely not in the way the show runners intended but her acting makes Shatner seem subtle.

I didn't mind her in season 1, or in this last episode. I don't really get the massive hate-on so many seem to have for her.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Zebulon posted:

I didn't mind her in season 1, or in this last episode. I don't really get the massive hate-on so many seem to have for her.

same

But I can see how the show spent a bit too much time with her character arc that went nowhere.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

SpookyLizard posted:

She feels like a hammy over the top villain that'd fit in with 1967 Batman show, but without any self awareness. Cesar Romero and Adam West knew they were playing it absurdly over the top, but Smith gets all cartoony while giving off a vibe like "Rar baby, this pussy has teeth" and it gives me a bad case of second hand embarrassment. Being cocky when you're doing a bad job is just grating.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Most people were happy when Babs came back after hating her throughout the whole show, so maybe Fish version 2 will be okay too.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

The more sandwiches, the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The biggest problem with Fish is that her stuff is almost always completely disconnected from everyone else's story. Like in season one she had that long rear end story arch about the Dollmaker that went absolutely nowhere.

• Locked thread