Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

muscles like this? posted:

They were definitely channeling TDK for the video. It would be an interesting direction if they had him doing little bits of every version of the Joker.

Just watching it now, his "greetings ladies and gentlemen" definitely felt evocative of Mark Hamill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

My old sausage, I'm going to tuck you up...

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

sector_corrector posted:

Barbara is so much cooler now.

Yes, she's gone from character artifact from early prime-time soap opera script treatments to... moderately tolerable.

By the way... what's the prisoner count at now? They started with 6, didn't they? King Nut-thing was killed immediately. Schizo was killed after the cheerleader bus didn't go up in flames, and Womaneater was killed because his nickname was just too long. And he liked to say other people's lines and stuff. At least I think he died; Not The Joker Yet shot him and all, didn't he?

So that leaves three inmates: Muscles, Protojoker, and Barbara. Of course, there's no reason to assume that the cops know that there are only three left, because while they know that 6 escaped, they only saw Schizo killed, and they will probably find the body of Womaneater. They don't know about King of the Nuts, unless I missed something. So they're looking for four people and will only find three.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The kid who plays Joker Jerome plays him more like "Bob? Gun." Joker than "Why So Serious?" Joker. He's pretty good.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

I guess I came into this show with completely wrong expectations. Camp is a decent way of doing Batman since he's a dude with a gimmick in pajamas who fights other dudes with gimmicks in pajamas but I thought a show about gotham's regular-old PD would be dark detective noir, probably one where the archvillain is really apathy and demoralization since gotham was really in a bad way before Bruce. Turns out everyone was a freak to begin with :v: including Nygma who has dissociative personality disorder (??? ?)

oh well, I guess it's time to move on

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

tarlibone posted:

Yes, she's gone from character artifact from early prime-time soap opera script treatments to... moderately tolerable.

By the way... what's the prisoner count at now? They started with 6, didn't they? King Nut-thing was killed immediately. Schizo was killed after the cheerleader bus didn't go up in flames, and Womaneater was killed because his nickname was just too long. And he liked to say other people's lines and stuff. At least I think he died; Not The Joker Yet shot him and all, didn't he?

So that leaves three inmates: Muscles, Protojoker, and Barbara. Of course, there's no reason to assume that the cops know that there are only three left, because while they know that 6 escaped, they only saw Schizo killed, and they will probably find the body of Womaneater. They don't know about King of the Nuts, unless I missed something. So they're looking for four people and will only find three.

For some bizarre reason the GCPD was already discounting Richard Sionis from their escaped inmates search despite them not being aware of his death, unless I missed something.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

hard counter posted:

I guess I came into this show with completely wrong expectations. Camp is a decent way of doing Batman since he's a dude with a gimmick in pajamas who fights other dudes with gimmicks in pajamas but I thought a show about gotham's regular-old PD would be dark detective noir, probably one where the archvillain is really apathy and demoralization since gotham was really in a bad way before Bruce. Turns out everyone was a freak to begin with :v: including Nygma who has dissociative personality disorder (??? ?)

oh well, I guess it's time to move on

In the beginning they tried to do both, so they had to pick one.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Bruceski posted:

In the beginning they tried to do both, so they had to pick one.

I actually stuck it out this long since I was hoping they'd roll a measure more the other way come season 2. The tone, which I didn't mind, was probably too light to swing it late to gotham noir though :(

Anyway, hopefully you guys get the show that you want.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

I can't tell you how happy I am that Fish is loving gone.

Crazybarbs is a far superior version to old Barbara, though still not super great or anything. I would not be mad if Harvey shot her or something.

Protojoker is awesome, and I like that he's channeling Nicholson rather than Ledger. The obvious blood-as-clown-makeup scene in ep 2 was pretty great.

I still think the Bruce/Alfred adventures are the best part of the show. Which is a surprise, I would not have expected to like young Bruce Wayne as much as I do. that kid is going to go on to do big things.

Digital Prophet fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Sep 29, 2015

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

It was interesting how little screen time Gordon got this episode. It seems like The Gordon Show is really becoming The Joker Show, Featuring Batkid. Which I'm totally fine with.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Cue Jim running back to Penguin for help since they both need some semblance of order in Gotham.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I want to see Penguin melt down because he doesn't get to have is nice criminal empire on Gotham. Just when he takes control, these other jokers (see what I did there?) come on the scene and just create chaos.

Actually, reminds me a lot of the dynamic all the villains had with each other in the classic Batman tv series and movie. They were always stepping on each others toes.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The scene where Jerome is shooting at the cops in front of the bus was pretty much a direct homage to the scene where Nicholson plugs Jack Pallance, complete with the little twirl.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

If you told me that season one and season two were completely different shows that by some amazing coincidence just happened to have the same actors, I would believe you.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Is Riddler Two-Face now?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I like to imagine that the showrunners were serious about giving multiple candidates for the Joker, until they saw the kid playing Jerome just nail it perfectly and threw that premise out the window.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

At first it bothered me that the show has a very '90s style and feel, with the cars and police uniforms and general ascetic, but they've also got smartphones and flat-screen computers. Then I remembered that The Animated Series was the same way, with everyone wearing 1930's fashion and the bad guys always having tommy guns while at the same time having live TV news and jets and whatnot.

6-year plan man
Sep 1, 2007
working hardly, or hardly working?
Barbara is batshit crazy how the hell are they going to have her and jim end up together ever? ?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

6-year plan man posted:

Barbara is batshit crazy how the hell are they going to have her and jim end up together ever? ?

They aren't.
See also - Who is going to toss the chemicals at Harvey Dent?

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Moon Slayer posted:

At first it bothered me that the show has a very '90s style and feel, with the cars and police uniforms and general ascetic, but they've also got smartphones and flat-screen computers. Then I remembered that The Animated Series was the same way, with everyone wearing 1930's fashion and the bad guys always having tommy guns while at the same time having live TV news and jets and whatnot.

Don't forget the police zeppelins.

pookerbug
Jan 21, 2006

the vitreous humourist

Funky Valentine posted:

I like to imagine that the showrunners were serious about giving multiple candidates for the Joker, until they saw the kid playing Jerome just nail it perfectly and threw that premise out the window.

Yeah. At this point I think people would be pissed off if Jerome doesn't end up as The Joker.

He's going to end up making Jared Leto's Susan-Powter-in-tats version even more disappointing and he doesn't even have the makeup yet.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Moon Slayer posted:

I love that culture/tech mash-up style. I noticed in this week's ep that Gordon's got what looks like an 80's IBM Wheelwriter typewriter on his desk. :allears: It must be a lot of fun to be a set designer on that gig: "who gives a gently caress about whether it's period accurate, does it look cool? OK!"

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I love that culture/tech mash-up style. I noticed in this week's ep that Gordon's got what looks like an 80's IBM Wheelwriter typewriter on his desk. :allears: It must be a lot of fun to be a set designer on that gig: "who gives a gently caress about whether it's period accurate, does it look cool? OK!"

It's almost like the set designer was imported via time machine directly from mid 1990s. They keep him in an empty room with a desk and a chair and a pencil and a piece of paper. On the way to the room, he saw people using some modern technology, but not up close. Then he was placed in the room and tasked with describing what a modern-day police station should look like on the inside. So he's working with his memories of 1990s technology plus bits and pieces of contemporary technology, but with no idea of what older things would still be in use alongside more current things.

I like these period mashups in set design.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

tarlibone posted:

It's almost like the set designer was imported via time machine directly from mid 1990s. They keep him in an empty room with a desk and a chair and a pencil and a piece of paper. On the way to the room, he saw people using some modern technology, but not up close. Then he was placed in the room and tasked with describing what a modern-day police station should look like on the inside. So he's working with his memories of 1990s technology plus bits and pieces of contemporary technology, but with no idea of what older things would still be in use alongside more current things.

I like these period mashups in set design.

Ha! I like your theory.

Speaking of sets: can any NYC goons tell me what bar Alfred and Lucius are at? When Alfred says it's "lovely", first thought in my head was "drat right, Pennyworth". That scene was gorgeous. Gotham has plenty of goofy writing and whatnot, but drat if it ain't pretty to just look at. Being shot in/around NYC really sells the show, vs recycling Vancouver like so many shows.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Jeroker pulls from every version of the Joker, depending on the scene, and often, multiple ones in the same scene. He's not like any singular ones, it's just that you notice parts more than others and start focusing on that version while watching.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Zythrst posted:

Don't forget the police zeppelins.

An episode had a telegram as a major plot point.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Darko posted:

Jeroker pulls from every version of the Joker, depending on the scene, and often, multiple ones in the same scene. He's not like any singular ones, it's just that you notice parts more than others and start focusing on that version while watching.

Yeah, now that you mention it, the opening scene was totally Nicholson, whereas the "LADIES AND GENTLEMEN" scene was a bit of Cesar Romero/Mark Hamill, and Russian Roulette scene was Heath Ledger. This kid is an incredible actor.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 29, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Jeromeker is loving killing it. Robin Lord Taylor might not be the best actor on the show anymore.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Moon Slayer posted:

I'm pretty sure they don't have smartphones. They have cell phones but they're all old style flip phones.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Can we just call him The Joker? This episode made it completely obvious.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

6-year plan man posted:

How the hell can Jim end up with Essen now that she's dead?!?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Theo's going to turn out to be Ra's al-Ghul, won't he?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Funky Valentine posted:

Should have been apparent the moment they cast the actor. He is perfect on Shameless. Just a really really good performance every single time.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

The kid's clearly Mr Freeze.

Funky Valentine posted:

Theo's going to turn out to be Ra's al-Ghul, won't he?

Either that or an underling. It's definitely a League-style plot.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Gawain The Blind posted:

I still think the Bruce/Alfred adventures are the best part of the show. Which is a surprise, I would not have expected to like young Bruce Wayne as much as I do. that kid is going to go on to do big things.

This season has been great so far, but Bruce and Alfred continue to bore me each week. We found the computer, you broke the computer, you're fired, you're rehired but fix the computer, fixing the computer is going to take awhile.... Who gives a gently caress.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
Season two feels much tighter so far, everything feels relevant instead of 25% of plot threads being great while everything else is bad. I dig it.

Also I was pretty resistant to a Joker this young, but he was winning me over even before that awesome last scene. This season isn't going in the direction I'd hoped, at the end of last season, but it's committing and tightening and is going to be drat good.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
You know, Magog in Kingdom Come was right, they should have just killed all the villains instead of locking them up.

I really like the shows Lucius Fox though.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Bruceski posted:

The kid's clearly Mr Freeze.

Either that or an underling. It's definitely a League-style plot.

I'm thinking Court of Owls actually given Theo's gentry status. Maybe with Sid Bunderslaw being involved somehow too.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Ha! I like your theory.

Speaking of sets: can any NYC goons tell me what bar Alfred and Lucius are at? When Alfred says it's "lovely", first thought in my head was "drat right, Pennyworth". That scene was gorgeous. Gotham has plenty of goofy writing and whatnot, but drat if it ain't pretty to just look at. Being shot in/around NYC really sells the show, vs recycling Vancouver like so many shows.

Id have to watch it again but most of the show is shot in Western Queens. I believe the bar Bullock works in is LIC Bar on Vernon Blvd for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Waltzing Along posted:

And if he doesn't become the Joker, then we can have an awkward scene in 5 years where Batman says "Hey... you know, I used to know a little punk that was just like you!"

But I mean yeah he's very obviously the Joker and if they swerve on that then it may be a shark-jump moment. It's only slightly less obvious that Theo is R'as.

Alright who wants to take bets on how many episodes until we get a Harley Quinn tease? I'm thinking it'll happen right around the Suicide Squad premiere or something.

Also where did Poison Ivy go?

• Locked thread