Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
curiosity fucked me up
Oct 7, 2014

Brannock posted:

Is there a worse roster in the NFL than the Bears?

is there a worse coaching staff in the NFL than the Lions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Volkerball posted:

A 4th. It would've cost the Raiders the pick they used on Jelly.

So that makes it even more "not even close"

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

warcrimes posted:

So that makes it even more "not even close"

I asked Volkerball only because I knew he was vehemently for Teddy/Leo even up till the beginning of this season

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.
As Vikings fan, let me just say

Teddy, Bitch

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Brannock posted:

Is there a worse roster in the NFL than the Bears?

Jaguars.

However it is closer than one would like

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

TubeStank posted:

washington is the first winnable game for the bears imo

Assuming Cutler is back after Week 4, they have a good shot at 3-13. Kaepernick threw four picks today and had to be pep-talked by Blaine Gabbert after #3. Rams lose all their powers when not playing the Seahawks. Vs. Bucks is a tossup.

Clausen is so miserable it's ridiculous. Watching him pop up and talk poo poo at defensive linemen like he's hot poo poo is hilarious.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

adaz posted:

Jaguars.

(wiggles hand) Eeeeeh.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

JT Jag posted:

(wiggles hand) Eeeeeh.

I was really about the same but a healthy Jay Cutler puts the bears over the edge I think.

Ouch.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

adaz posted:

I was really about the same but a healthy Jay Cutler puts the bears over the edge I think.

Ouch.
If we're playing the "if x is healthy" game, 30% of the Jaguar's roster is injured right now

That's not a made up number btw, literally 30%.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

JT Jag posted:

If we're playing the "if x is healthy" game, 30% of the Jaguar's roster is injured right now

That's not a made up number btw, literally 30%.

Sure, but it's not so much a drop off between Jay Cutler to Blake Bortles as it's a plummet into an abyss of despair and sadness. Not something you want in the ~most important position~ in the NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE.

In terms of right now, even with the literally 30% injured I would definitely take the Jaguars over the Bears though.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I'll have you know that Blake Bortles is on pace to throw 3700 yards, 26 touchdowns and 16 interceptions!!!

hahahahaha

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

adaz posted:

Jaguars.

Sorry, Jags are better. The Bears have a bunch of nobodies who suck. The Jags have a bunch of guys who are nobodies because they play in Jacksonville. Chris Clemmons, Paul Pos(sp), Odrick, and Eugene Monroe are all better than their Chicago counterparts, and that's just the players I can name.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The thing about the Bears was, they went into the Seahawks game with probably the best gameplan they could've come up with. Play ball-control with Forte, keep Wilson/Lynch off the field, hide Pickles as much as humanly possible and maybe steal a lovely 13-10 win.

Problem is, without Jeffery they had no field-stretching threat to keep the secondary honest, and everyone in the stadium could guess the offensive plan. So the Hawks just kept men in the box all day, Forte eventually stopped finding holes and Seattle's offense finally started moving the ball once the Bears' D got gassed.

It was a decent gameplan on paper -- pretty much the same one the Rams used against us in Week 1 -- but the Bears are just so barren on talent that the whole thing fell apart when they went down 13-0.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Chichevache posted:

Sorry, Jags are better. The Bears have a bunch of nobodies who suck. The Jags have a bunch of guys who are nobodies because they play in Jacksonville. Chris Clemmons, Paul Pos(sp), Odrick, and Eugene Monroe are all better than their Chicago counterparts, and that's just the players I can name.
In order: Old, not good anymore especially in today's NFL that is unforgiving against linebackers that suck against the pass, actually ok, plays for Baltimore now.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

JT Jag posted:

In order: Old, not good anymore especially in today's NFL that is unforgiving against linebackers that suck against the pass, actually ok, plays for Baltimore now.

1. Still better than the Bears
2. Still better than the Bears, but not as better as 1
3. Significantly better than the Bears
4. Just as effective as the Bears line, but he costs you nothing. So that's 4 points for JAX and I haven't even looked up your roster yet. :colbert:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
A whole bunch of people thought the Bears could get 6 wins after they played the Packers tough, now that they've been shut out for the first time in a decade it's 0-16 time.

Realistically when Cutler+Jeffrey are back theyll win like 4 games and kill their pick.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

adaz posted:

Sure, but it's not so much a drop off between Jay Cutler to Blake Bortles as it's a plummet into an abyss of despair and sadness. Not something you want in the ~most important position~ in the NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE.

In terms of right now, even with the literally 30% injured I would definitely take the Jaguars over the Bears though.

Bort Bortles isn't Blaine Gabbert you know, and Jay Cutler isn't exactly All-Pro.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Even if the Bears get a good draft pick I can't help but feel pretty hopeless about the future. Cutler sucks but he's our all time best QB by a mile. Forte will be gone soon. We have a good coaching staff but can they stick around long enough to survive the dire years ahead? Mehhhh

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

JT Jag posted:

I'll have you know that Blake Bortles is on pace to throw 3700 yards, 26 touchdowns and 16 interceptions!!!

hahahahaha

Just letting everyone know that this would be a nearly four hundred yards and eight touchdowns more than Alex Smith did last year. Blake Bortles is good!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

beejay posted:

Even if the Bears get a good draft pick I can't help but feel pretty hopeless about the future. Cutler sucks but he's our all time best QB by a mile. Forte will be gone soon. We have a good coaching staff but can they stick around long enough to survive the dire years ahead? Mehhhh

Cutler doesn't suck, Cutler is around your average starting QB. You replace him if you find something better sure, and I'm not gonna complain if he's cut and they draft someone but he doesn't come close to "sucking". He's just good enough for you to feel something when he makes mistakes but not good enough where you will just let the mistakes slide. People expect him to play perfectly and blow him up when he plays a great game and then throws a pick because a Linebacker makes a great play. Ignoring the fact the Defense just let James loving Jones run a train on them the entire night.

Jimmy Clausen sucks, I don't expect anything from Jimmy Clausen If Jimmy completes a pass I get happy and am shocked, That's the sign of a sucky QB.

If the Bears defense played anywhere near as well against any of the other teams they played this year as they played against the Seahawks in the first half they may have been able to steal a win. But Cutler is not going to be able to carry an entire loving team on his back and play perfectly going drive for drive with an opposing offense, especially with a weak right side of the offensive line, and having a WR's core of a One Legged Alshon Jeffery, Josh (first catch in his 4 year career happened one week ago) Bellamy, Eddie (slow) Royal.

There are like 2 QB's in the league who you can trust if it suddenly becomes a shootout scenario. Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers. Other than that the Defense is going to have to find a way to stop someone at least a couple of times, but poo poo, as I was typing this Kyle Fuller just had another 34 yard DPI.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Sep 28, 2015

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

commieB posted:

is there a worse coaching staff in the NFL than the Lions?

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Sorry, I'm actually a big Cutler fan and feel like we should keep him until we get someone who can take his job away through ability. I am not really sure why I said that. :(

If I could do that post over again I'd say "Everyone thinks Cutler sucks but he's the best QB we have ever had, and after he's gone we are probably hosed on the QB front for another 20 years, and he will be gone soon because people won't stop calling for his head."

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

beejay posted:

Sorry, I'm actually a big Cutler fan and feel like we should keep him until we get someone who can take his job away through ability. I am not really sure why I said that. :(

If I could do that post over again I'd say "Everyone thinks Cutler sucks but he's the best QB we have ever had, and after he's gone we are probably hosed on the QB front for another 20 years, and he will be gone soon because people won't stop calling for his head."

It's because Cutler even subconsciously has the it factor that makes even the most rational of people lose their rationality and just hate him. It's the combination of his face, and aloofness, and being just good enough to get you to the front door of winning despite all the setbacks, and then bungling it last minute

Mostly this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJQFnCR2BCI

Dexo fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 28, 2015

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Nail Rat posted:

Bort Bortles isn't Blaine Gabbert you know, and Jay Cutler isn't exactly All-Pro.

Bortles was the worst QB in the NFL last year and this year, statistically, is like the 5th worst. Cutler isn't all pro but he's definitely average to at his best above average.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

quote:

‏@Rand_Getlin 20m20 minutes ago
#Bears punter Pat O'Donnell has a knee sprain and is day to day, a source said.

Bears definitely going 0-16

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
A lot of regular fans don't realize that Cutler is basically an identical QB to Eli, Flacco, Ryan and Dalton over their careers. Ryan's qb rating is higher than the others but they're all between 7.0 and 7.2 y/a, .8 to 1.1 int per game, 1.3 to 1.6 td per game. And that's with Dalton/Ryan having much superior #1 receivers to throw to.
http://www.pro-football-reference.c...n00&p6=DaltAn00

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Burginator posted:

As Vikings fan, let me just say

Teddy, Bitch

this is like the worst week to talk try and talk up teddy.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

JT Jag posted:

hahahahaha

In 2004 that would have been a pretty respectable stat line.

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

Granted he's only played a game and a half, but Cutler actually looked decent to good so far this season.. Clay Matthews made a really good play for one pick, and there was some miscommunication between him and Bennett for the second... both are interceptions that happen even with great quarterbacks. There hasn't been a situation where Cutler throws into triple coverage to try and make something happen and gets picked on a really bad decision... so far.

I still think Jay's contract is ridiculous and that he's paid way too much, and I don't think he's an elite quarterback or going to the hall of fame, but if he keeps playing the way he has been it's good enough to stick with him long enough to find and train a replacement in the next few years.

Clausen, on the other hand, never should have been resigned this off season. I really hope they put Fales in this week to see if he can at least manage as a back up and kick Pickles to the curb if he does.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Bring back Todd Collins.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Dexo posted:

Bring back Todd Collins.

That's possibly the only backup Clausen has outplayed.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Brannock posted:

In 2004 that would have been a pretty respectable stat line.
It'd be top-16 even last year.

Of course, the trick to the statline I just told you about is what I didn't say. His attempts are way up and his completion percentage is way down. Surprisingly, despite this his yards per attempt are still up.

This is all just through three games, of course, but if Bortles could get back to his near-60 completion percentage of last year and keep up roughly this pace it's an honest sign of improvement. Especially if he stops throwing so many devastating game-changing interceptions, as he has done twice this year.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I really hope Cutler doesn't make it back for the game this weekend.

Pickles will throw for a lot of yards on the Raiders D though.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So is it possible for the Lions and Bears to both go 0-16 this year? The Lions play a lot of good teams.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Elephanthead posted:

So is it possible for the Lions and Bears to both go 0-16 this year? The Lions play a lot of good teams.

I mean... 0-14-2 maybe.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Elephanthead posted:

They play each other twice so no, not both. I don't have Detroit's remaining schedule in front of me but I looked at it last night and thought "yeah 4-12 sounds right"

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Elephanthead posted:

They could both go 1-15

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

C-Euro posted:

They play each other twice so no, not both. I don't have Detroit's remaining schedule in front of me but I looked at it last night and thought "yeah 4-12 sounds right"

4-6 wins I think.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Filthy Casual posted:

That's possibly the only backup Clausen has outplayed.

Even Pickles is better than Caleb loving Hanie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

4-6 wins I think.

Six is as high as I'll go-
CHI twice
NO
SF
OAK
STL

And even that's assuming quite a bit (Chicago and NO stay injured, Oakland can't cope with a 1 EST kickoff). Anything past that and you need to really convince me. Unless someone implodes hard, maybe bad Philly will show up for Thanksgiving.

• Locked thread