Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Intruder posted:

There, I fixed the thread

How do you gently caress up typing "Detroit Lions" so badly, I expect a mod to have better typing skills :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Dexo posted:

This is the best year of football ever.

I'm literally feeling almost nothing.

No anger, sadness, only emotion is being amused at Jimmy Clausen Starting QBa Jim Caldwell-led coaching staff.

I have/had so few expectations for this team, that them not getting 50 put up against them counts as a win in my book.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Elephanthead posted:

So is it possible for the Lions and Bears to both go 0-16 this year? The Lions play a lot of good teams.

They play each other twice so no, not both. I don't have Detroit's remaining schedule in front of me but I looked at it last night and thought "yeah 4-12 sounds right"

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

4-6 wins I think.

Six is as high as I'll go-
CHI twice
NO
SF
OAK
STL

And even that's assuming quite a bit (Chicago and NO stay injured, Oakland can't cope with a 1 EST kickoff). Anything past that and you need to really convince me. Unless someone implodes hard, maybe bad Philly will show up for Thanksgiving.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Dexo posted:

Ohhhhhhhhh shiiiiiiioiit.

Scoopage: The Panthers have just agreed to a trade for Bears DE Jared Allen

Jay Glazer, and Brad Biggs.

Yeah rip

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

warcrimes posted:

Lol, the Raiders just won a game in that time zone.

Hence the "assumption" caveat. Again, six is optimistic and the Lions excel at finding new ways to disappoint! I'm super-excited to see them play the Bears though, games between lovely teams are the best.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Yeah Detroit is cooked now.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Setting aside all hilarious Internet hyperbole for a moment, this Lions team is way more talented and arguably better-coached than the '08 squad, so I think they'll have a much harder time going winless this year. That being said outside of 3 quarters in SD they have looked like dogshit and I could see players start to mail it in if they are winless after that first Bears game, nor do I trust Caldwell & Co. to fix that should it occur. You already saw a little bit of that happening with people telling Stafford to nut up after the Minnesota game.

They could surprise me and beat Seattle tonight but I highly doubt that will happen, and even if it does their window is closed. If they couldn't make a run with last year's time, it's going to be a while before they have another chance!

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Oct 5, 2015

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I haven't watched them this season outside of maybe the first half on their SNF game and I'm no worse for it. Then again I live out of state and only have basic cable so w/e. That's secretly one of the worst side-effects of the Lions being dependably trash for so long, their games never get broadcast outside of MI and whatever region their opponent is in so I never get to watch them unless it's a national game or I happen to live there. Then again when I lived outside of Indy for a few years, the one game they played against the Colts was that awful 14 points in three minutes comeback by Luck :barf: So perhaps that's for my own good.

Also why the hell are we talking about the stupid Lions at 4 AM

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Oct 10, 2015

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'm broke, I'm fighting with my SO, and there's a winless Lions team QB'd by Dan Orlovsky.

I don't know how I wound up back in 2008 but I don't like it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Chris James 2 posted:

Caldwell says he's not changing any coaches this week. Also Stafford's starting.

Things are looking good for this thread staying alive until at least Thanksgiving.

If they blow it next week at home against Chicago I think there's a very real chance that they go winless. Caldwell and Lombardi have no idea what they're doing and I wouldn't be surprised if players have started checking out for the season. If Chicago beats them on their own turf then they'll definitely start checking out and the current regime won't be able to get them back. At this point I'd say their only winnable games are Chicago next week and hosting SF in Week 16. Saints fans would have you think otherwise but I don't think this Detroit team can win in NO. They even lost a winnable game through a freak accident that maybes comes up once in an entire season across all teams, just like in 2008!

I know I've been crowing about how I knew long before this season that Detroit's window was closed, and how no one should have any expectations for them this year, but even so they have looked completely awful. I'm honestly surprised at how far they've fallen but I know I shouldn't be.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Brannock posted:

He still has an unreal arm and Calvin Johnson, the Lions just need to bring someone in to unfuck him.

This was exactly the motivation for bringing in Caldwell in the first place :lol:

Cruel and Unusual posted:

@Justin_Rogers

Ameer Abdullah says he hasn't felt this bad since his friend died his junior season.

Chris James 2 posted:

One person stood up and talked to the locker room after the game reportedly.

That person?

Josh Bynes. Backup linebacker Josh Bynes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKLmZNnMT0A

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

sweet thursday posted:

The Lions history is tainted to the point where anybody who joins the organization and stays with it for any length of time eventually becomes incapable of imagining themselves winning under any sort of pressure. It saps that belief away over a period of years compounded by the pedigree of talent that has wasted away wearing Honolulu Blue.

I know that we Lions fans thrive on self-pity but at this point the Lions "history" really is that bad. They've been so bad for so long that there is nothing to be proud of or optimistic about. Other teams that suck right now like the Niners at least have history to look back, while others still like the Texans haven't been around long enough to be truly soul-crushing. gently caress, even the Raiders, who have the worst or second-worst record over the past several years, fall into that first category. Detroit has nothing. They have always been poo poo, and when they haven't been poo poo they've been window dressing, which is arguably worse.

My mom was born the same year Detroit last won a football championship (1957) and my dad was only four years old. During their SNF game this year (or some other recent game) they put up a graphic of teams across all major sports leagues who have gone the longest without appearing in their respective championship games. It was the Detroit Lions, the Chicago Cubs, the Toronto Maple Leafs, and the Sacramento Kings (and maybe one or two other teams), and I think Detroit had all of them beat except maybe the Cubs.

E: And with all of this evidence coming out that playing football is bad for you and parents pulling their kids out of it, my secret fear is that the NFL will undergo some sort of huge paradigm shift and cease to be what we know it as today, and the Super Bowl will vanish with the Lions never having been there. That years from now they'll win the conference championship, and then that same night a player will die on the field during the AFC championship or the venue of that game will be the target of a terrorist attack and the league will cancel the rest of the season and never recover. If SA is still around when that happens feel free to quote this.

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Nothing short of lucking into the next Lombardi the elder, Knoll, Walsh or Bellichik can save the Lions

Thank you for adding the "elder" qualifier, I was about to be triggered big time.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 12, 2015

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

gtkor posted:

Austin's stock probably has fallen enough he wont get any HC offers.

I still wonder why he didn't land somewhere last offseason, and whether or not other teams predicted what was going to happen to the D this year. If Caldwell ends up getting the boot during the season I'd be curious to see how Austin would handle things.

Mayhew won't be fired because look how long Millen was here and look at what he "accomplished". It's been a rough couple of seasons for him as of late, but I doubt Martha Ford cares so long as the Lions continue to not have cheerleaders. If Millen got eight years to be bad I would think Mayhew gets just as long to be mediocre, and if you get rid of him who do you bring in? Who was that dude in the Lions FO that people were talking about as maybe going to GM somewhere else last offseason?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Bill Jr publicly called out Matt Millen for being such a doofus, and in the same breath called out his dad for handling the situation so poorly. Millen was fired less than 24 hours later.

I have no idea if Bill Jr would be a good NFL owner but he gives a poo poo about how well the team does on the field, which is more than his parents ever have. That Millen episode earned him a lot of admiration from fans as well. Here's hoping his sisters don't keep him boxed out once mom passes.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Chris James 2 posted:

@ShaneNFL
#Lions beat writer: "Why did you kick a field goal down 28 points in the fourth quarter?" Caldwell: "We'd already thrown in the towel."

I would call that out as fake, but the fact that I'm the first person to post about it maybe being fake worries the hell out of me.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Cruel and Unusual posted:

:negative:

At least we might get to keep Austin.

Not if he gets shitcanned with the rest of the coaching staff!

Is it too early to start dreaming about the Saints dropping Sean Payton and Detroit picking him up as HC? If he can fix noted Garbage Time QB Drew Brees then surely he can fix Stafford.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
They should still overhaul their staff after this season if not sooner, but hey good job guys

• Locked thread