Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

I can say yesterday was the worst time going in the past few years since I have had season tickets for this dumb not very good football team.

Our fans are probably the least knowledgeable around, which is why it is actually a lot more fun to watch the lions on the road (even though we never win if we play anyone good). The people around me are like fire everyone into the sun, which yeah obviously, but at the same time can't actually look at the game and see why something doesn't work.

In addition to the Lions just always being bad, they were kind of bad at a rough time near the end of the last CBA. Everyone hit their contracts in a way that sped up the window, and we at least did get a good season out of it. Take the victories where you can get them in my opinion. Watching the first four games on gamepass and probably the 5th one again today, the team is bad but they have been pretty competitive in every game but San Diego (and to a lesser extent Seattle).

Football is weird and luck matters so maybe they lose a bunch of games and we go 0-16 (but probably not). Either way blowing up everything is stupid and people who want that are bad and should feel bad. Caldwell probably should have been brought is as a coordinator and not a HC, Lombardi could get let go at the end of the season. Austin's stock probably has fallen enough he wont get any HC offers. Mayhew has drafted pretty rough and he should get let go. Stafford is one of top 15 or so QBs in a world where there aren't 32 good ones.

If we want to watch Goff next year and do something stupid then by all means, I'll still fork over my dumb money to watch this dumb team play this dumb sport. Our fans are bad though and should be more cool.

Thanks for reading!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

C-Euro posted:

I still wonder why he didn't land somewhere last offseason, and whether or not other teams predicted what was going to happen to the D this year. If Caldwell ends up getting the boot during the season I'd be curious to see how Austin would handle things.

Mayhew won't be fired because look how long Millen was here and look at what he "accomplished". It's been a rough couple of seasons for him as of late, but I doubt Martha Ford cares so long as the Lions continue to not have cheerleaders. If Millen got eight years to be bad I would think Mayhew gets just as long to be mediocre, and if you get rid of him who do you bring in? Who was that dude in the Lions FO that people were talking about as maybe going to GM somewhere else last offseason?

I mean id be willing to buy teams just evaluated him lower than Bowles or Quinn. You'd figure both of those guys had done it a little longer than Austin, who had the one year to fall back on. I'd be willing to believe he probably finished 2nd in a couple of interviews though.

Either way, he probably isn't going to be a hot commodity this time around.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

They were not necessarily great last year on offense either (they were 22nd).

It turns out that when you have a defense that had a generational type of player at DT that played all 3 downs, with a 1st round level talent next to him, it can mask a lot of issues. It also doesn't help when you bring in two guys to replace those guys, and the new people are hurt and or ineffective.

Basically the lions went from having two top 25 ish DT's (with one of them being a top 5 guy), to fringe roster/rookie DT rotation. Also, their best LB has been around for about a quarter this whole season.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

I don't think many of us would have an issue with moving on from Mayhew. A lot of people just don't think a change will necessarily come if they were willing to hang on to Millen for as long as they did.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Aaron Donald might not have been a bad choice with the 10 pick in that draft. Ya know, if you were going to let Fairley go, and not fork over Suh money. I am sure whoever the GM is in STL probably sends Mayhew a Christmas Card every year over that one.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Levy probably done for the year with Hip Surgery on the way. Doesn't help an already crap defense very much.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

You'd wonder if that would mean keeping Lombardi in that scenario though, given the history with the two in New Orleans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

I wish. I still end up watching a full Lions mess with a sense of dread that builds typically through the game (week, season) about how crap they are. I'd rather they be at least entertaining or competitive because Arizona last week was pretty dumb. And we have had a lot of pretty dumb over the years.

• Locked thread