Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Arc Hammer posted:

I laughed when Isami got into Bravern's cockpit and then it started piping its own theme music through the radio while he's trying to get the hang of piloting.

Apparently when he complains about that thing, the line that was improvised which makes it 100x better

https://twitter.com/shoot_drive/status/1745688272083558884

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Fivemarks posted:

Do you speak Italian? If so, then watching Jeeg will be much easier for you.

Nope! Guess I'm SOL then. Oh well

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly wouldn't be too surprised if Discotek gets to Jeeg eventually

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I was thinking about how to explain the twist in BBBB to non-mecha fans who may not quite "get" the switch from real robot to super robot, and I realized it's basically if halfway through Independence Day, it turned out that Will Smith's character was Superman.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arc Hammer posted:

Independence Day with mecha gets interrupted by a Super Robot show.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

yeah

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Independence Day if it turned into Pacific Rim

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

wdarkk posted:

Does the original Wataru hold up? SRW X has me kind of interested in it.

I’ve been playing through SRW X and I’m curious to try out some of the shows. Does anyone have any SRW X shows outside of Gundam, Gurren Lagann, Code Geass, and Nadia they’d recommend? I was already planning on Dunbine at some point, but I haven’t gotten around to it yet.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
basically anything except buddy complex. that one's a total dud.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I’ve been playing through SRW X and I’m curious to try out some of the shows. Does anyone have any SRW X shows outside of Gundam, Gurren Lagann, Code Geass, and Nadia they’d recommend? I was already planning on Dunbine at some point, but I haven’t gotten around to it yet.

Dunbine is fantastic. It's very Zeta Gundam? I like it a lot, at least. Mazinger Z: The Impact is really fun, the ending isn't super great but it's definitely a good watch with some fantastic opening tracks.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
dunbine is kinda zeta gundam but honestly even more weird and bleak... while being a lot jokier and more colorful. frankly i like it more. beware neo dunbine though, tomino wasn't involved and while it has some cool art its animation is an inconsistent mess and the ending has the absolute worst flashing lights i've ever seen in something from that era, like i don't normally have trouble with that stuff and it still caused me physical discomfort to look at. it's only tangentially connected to the original show also, i'm really not sure what anything about neo dunbine was going for, people make fun of garzey but frankly i'd put neo dunbine below it if i had to rank all the byston well stuff

cross ange's opening is weird and sets up an entirely different tone to what it actually ends up going for, it's not perfect but once it gets going it has some pretty fun characters and unique ideas. there's a few bits where it dips back into sexual subjects in ways that may or may not work for you but largely the tone of the show is the same as all the goofier bullshit those characters get into in srw

might gaine is apparently a decent show but kinda let down by terrible subs, not sure if the situation there's changed

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

The Colonel posted:

dunbine is kinda zeta gundam but honestly even more weird and bleak... while being a lot jokier and more colorful. frankly i like it more. beware neo dunbine though, tomino wasn't involved and while it has some cool art its animation is an inconsistent mess and the ending has the absolute worst flashing lights i've ever seen in something from that era, like i don't normally have trouble with that stuff and it still caused me physical discomfort to look at. it's only tangentially connected to the original show also, i'm really not sure what anything about neo dunbine was going for, people make fun of garzey but frankly i'd put neo dunbine below it if i had to rank all the byston well stuff

cross ange's opening is weird and sets up an entirely different tone to what it actually ends up going for, it's not perfect but once it gets going it has some pretty fun characters and unique ideas. there's a few bits where it dips back into sexual subjects in ways that may or may not work for you but largely the tone of the show is the same as all the goofier bullshit those characters get into in srw

I don’t know if it can have worse flashing lights than GaoGaiGar. I’m only 3 episodes in, but the sequence where the four kings introduce themselves was loving painful.

And Cross Ange I was interested in, aside from the outfits of a bunch of teenagers. I know it comes with the territory of female mecha pilots, but it seems a little excessive.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
neo dunbine's flashing is bright blue and red and i think the specific color contrast really does manage to make it even worse than gaogaigar. if you want to judge for yourself then, make sure you watch this video in the smallest window possible at least. or just don't watch it at all, just whatever you do, do not ever expose your eyes fully to the ending sequence of neo dunbine without some manner of protection or minimization of how bad it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCRIP6Y7HeI&t=1351s

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 16, 2024

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Cross ange is trash and srw does a lot to hide that by dint of its format.

Its just more unfocused Fukuda writing, before you get to its aesthetics and character design.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 16, 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Cross Ange is a sleazy women in prison movie that's also a fantasy mecha anime series

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

In the end I enjoyed Cross Ange despite its having some dips but it's a hard show to recommend cause the start has some stuff the show does just drop but also is out there enough that I get why people would drop the show and not want to continue.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

The Colonel posted:

neo dunbine's flashing is bright blue and red and i think the specific color contrast really does manage to make it even worse than gaogaigar. if you want to judge for yourself then, make sure you watch this video in the smallest window possible at least. or just don't watch it at all, just whatever you do, do not ever expose your eyes fully to the ending sequence of neo dunbine without some manner of protection or minimization of how bad it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCRIP6Y7HeI&t=1351s

What is the deal with this specific strobe from this specific era? I think that's exactly the same effect that caused the Pokemon Shock.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I don’t know if it can have worse flashing lights than GaoGaiGar. I’m only 3 episodes in, but the sequence where the four kings introduce themselves was loving painful.

And Cross Ange I was interested in, aside from the outfits of a bunch of teenagers. I know it comes with the territory of female mecha pilots, but it seems a little excessive.

GaoGaiGar doesn't get any worse than that. However, every scene with the villains meeting in their home base is exactly like that and it always sucks. I literally had to close my eyes every time because it would just give me the worst loving headaches.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Thankfully they end up toning it down about half way through and the new bad guys don't have it but yeah the start is rough and I wish Sunrise would fix it

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Cross Ange is like the man's marathon at the 1904 summer olympics

It is a clusterfuck. Now and then it manages to get up and make some distance. And a lot of stuff happens. Good stuff bad stuff wacky stuff. Oh, and then it ends when the winner crosses the finish line. Yay.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Argas posted:

Cross Ange is like the man's marathon at the 1904 summer olympics

It is a clusterfuck. Now and then it manages to get up and make some distance. And a lot of stuff happens. Good stuff bad stuff wacky stuff. Oh, and then it ends when the winner crosses the finish line. Yay.

Not just that. It also was largely orchestrated by James Edward Sullivan, which is all the more impressive since he died in 1914.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i remember finding the first episode of cross ange very funny and then the weird fetish stuff in the 1 or 2 episodes after that thoroughly convinced me that it wasn't worth it and i didn't want to touch cross ange again

i don't actually remember what it was anymore. i wanna say a girl pissed herself? whatever it was i never found the later appeals that it was actually a good show to be enough to look past that

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jan 18, 2024

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I never watched Cross Ange but presuming that it's a fantasy/mecha take on the "female prisoner" genre I'd assume terrible fetish stuff is par for the course.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Its mostly at the start and the show realizes it went to far and doesn't come close to it again but also like it's bad enough I get why people would just stop watching

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ninjewtsu posted:

i remember finding the first episode of cross ange very funny and then the weird fetish stuff in the 1 or 2 episodes after that thoroughly convinced me that it wasn't worth it and i didn't want to touch cross ange again

i don't actually remember what it was anymore. i wanna say a girl pissed herself? whatever it was i never found the later appeals that it was actually a good show to be enough to look past that

The first episode of the show opens up pretty rough, iirc. They're setting up the backstory for why she's on prison island or whatever so it's like 20 minutes of Ange's entire life collapsing and ends with her getting strip searched and left crying alone in a prison cell. The second episode immediately whiplashes to hijinx.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
And then they kill that one girl who vomits blood all over the screen, just very easy to write off as the bad kind of stupid edgy stuff

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

iirc theres a pretty distinct toning down between episode 3 and 4 as if someone told them to cut it out

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Cross Ange improves after it's opening.

That is to say, it improves from dogshit to merely bad.

The correct way to consume Cross Ange is via SRW V or X. Or both.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i still think it was weird having an abbreviated version of cross ange going on in a story where wataru is the protagonist.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I watched Brave Bang Bravern on Crunchyroll and I’m glad Obari is out there still getting work.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

We better be getting a Hibiki cringe face every ep.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Holy poo poo, what an amazing pair of intro episodes. I am extremely down for what Bang Bravern is offering.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I assume Smith is eventually going to get some version of the Superbia? Seeing as it prominently shows up in the OP and all.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Already want Bravern in the next SRW

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The way Bravern talks is just too extra, especially the way it gushes over Isami. Year of the mecha yaoi indeed

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Kanos posted:

The first episode of the show opens up pretty rough, iirc. They're setting up the backstory for why she's on prison island or whatever so it's like 20 minutes of Ange's entire life collapsing and ends with her getting strip searched and left crying alone in a prison cell. The second episode immediately whiplashes to hijinx.

ange's life collapsing was very stupid and i thought that was very funny. i loved the baby everyone was treating like a live bomb, and the entire concept of how ange's maid was secretly doing the magic for her every time she tried it for her entire life and ange never once noticed anything off, or caught the maid off guard, or tried to do something the maid misinterpreted is just beyond laughably implausible if you think about it for the half second it takes you to comprehend what the twist is

the uhhhh end of episode cavity search scene was pretty bad though

haypliss posted:

And then they kill that one girl who vomits blood all over the screen, just very easy to write off as the bad kind of stupid edgy stuff

ok but that was actually funny bad, i wanted more of that. that gif is the one thing about cross ange i ever still think about

EDIT: here i found it

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jan 19, 2024

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Bravern is the most mood whiplash anime I've ever watched in my life and I can't believe a show would try to juggle two completely different moods and switch from one to another so sharply without the slightest bit of interest in how it hits the audience.

I need this entire show pumped straight into my veins.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Sounds like I need to sign up for crunchy roll again.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

Sounds like I need to sign up for crunchy roll again.

Crunchyroll also has Metallic Rouge, if you want small lesbian robots to balance out your large gay robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I caught the first episode of Bang Bravern this morning and I’m all in.