Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Droyer posted:

Well, as you may or may not know, I'm planning a Patlabor simulwatch, so you could hold off until then.

Which Patlabor? OVAs, movies or tv? Most people seem to prefer the OVAs, but personally I found the tv series to be by far the most entertaining and engaging entry. The Early Days OVAs nearly put me off the franchise because I found it so dull, but it's probably that you're considering doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Hbomberguy posted:

It's kinda crazy that giraffes ended up the way they did. Like, it was obviously a gradual change but that means over millions of years the trees also probably had to get higher, or something? The nerves in their necks are crazy inefficient and loop around and stuff. It's messed. Evolution is messed.

I need to go read about giraffes.

There's apparently a wide-spread theory that the necks didn't develop to eat from the tops of trees but to fight with, which they do do. One of the major bits of evidence being that they often don't eat from the tops of trees and mostly bend down to eat from lower down on trees, not the very top. But yea, evolution is pretty crazy regardless.

boom boom boom posted:

I liked Beast Machines

I much preferred Beast Machines to Beast Wars when I watched both several years back, for which I realize I'm very much in the minority. I mostly just loved how well it was planned and how each episode lead straight in to the next and formed a strong seasonal arc. The fact Megatron was so menacing and devious helped. Watching him manipulate the entire team by pretending to be someone else was one of the best things in Transformers, because he pulls it off so well. Animated was better than both though.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
SDF is the best Macross. 7 is a lot of fun, but it takes about 20 episodes to find it's feet. Once it does, it's great, but those first episodes are a struggle and I'm not sure I could re-watch them again. It does have the best episode in the franchise though in my opinion, late in the show when everyone is preparing to go off on a suicide mission on Mylene's birthday. It's a really bittersweet episode that balances all it's elements really well.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I don't know that anything is ever stated about Global and the bridge crew, but Hikaru, Misa and Minmei are all stated to have been lost when the Megaroad they were on disappeared on it's journey towards the center of the galaxy. Which is basically Kawamori's way of going "their stories are over and I don't want to write about them again". The fact that Hikaru's VA committed suicide several years later and Minmei's appears to want to distance herself from Macross because the fans were so crazy and it was the sole thing defining her for a long time in many eyes probably doesn't help.

Still, the net effect to me at least is that it creates a massive mystery about what happened to them and I would dearly love to see a future Macross series set about the Megaroad 01 (I think that was the ship they were on) or another ship that finds it. I don't care if Hikaru, Misa and Minmei even appear beyond cameos, and at this stage, they'd be too old to do anything of worth anyways, since Macross basically always moves forward in it's timeline and we're 60 years on or something at this point with Delta, but I just want to know what they ran in to and to see some exploration of it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
He runs around shirtless so often that even a slightly odd looking top designed for manservice probably doesn't bother him and he's presumably just happy for what warmth it does lend him, not concerned about it's fashion sense.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Holy poo poo, I was disappointed when I found out that the idols weren't going to be variable fighter pilots. I retract that disappoint in favor of hype, because instead they are straight up magical girls in the Nanoha/Symphogear technology vain. And it is loving amazing to watch. I cannot wait for this series to start. The song at the end of the first episode is pretty fantastic too. I know it's going to be banging around in my head for a while. I already want a Platinum game where you play as one of the idols, because they'd fit right in to an action series as is. The drone tech in Delta is pretty insane.

The Draken's design (the enemy plane) is pretty sweet too. I love the swiveling wing engines and the undermounted cannon.

tsob fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 1, 2016

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Plus has some cool dogfights and visuals and Brian Cranston is in the dub so there's quite a bit to like, but at the same time I'd say that you should be prepared to accept that it's in no way indicative of the franchise as a whole. Which personally, I'm just as happy with, because as dumb and silly as they are I love 7 and the first episode of Delta and cannot wait to see more transforming idol combat and surfing valkyries and what not.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Yea, Basara and Mylene literally generating beams and shields using nothing but song in 7 is still weirder, if not as dynamic visually. Speaker pod gamma was pretty hilarious too, as was fleet of the most dangerous women. Pretty sure Basara made flowers turn to face him using song in one of the television movie specials too.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Oh please, like Tekkadan isn't ripe with boy band material.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

SpikeMcclane posted:

Also, I'll note that the shield bits aren't powered by song, it looks like, just controlled that way.

They're not being controlled by it either. It looks far more likely that they're being gesture controlled. For a start, Walkure aren't even singing when they use the drones to form stagelights right at the start. A few seconds later when they form a shield over some citizens Mikumo makes a gesture towards them with her fingers just before hand. Which is a totally reasonable way of controlling them really. They also use handheld holographic displays to show information.

It's still weird that they're making what is essentially a rescue operation in to a concert, but when song is the most effective way to pacify someone after they've been forced in to a berserk state I suppose it's not completely stupid to have a team of songstresses acting as spies and patrolling the area before they bust out a concert and use drones to move around the battlefield, protect themselves and civilians and then sing at the enemies to calm them down. It's fun as gently caress though, which is all that counts really.

tsob fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 4, 2016

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The fact Millia's foot just appears to be hanging in mid-air there is what always gets me. I prefer the arcade simulator date though. Max and Millia are the best couple.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

boom boom boom posted:

Can we talk about how insane it is that Gundam got cancelled, Macross almost got cancelled, but Dougram, the most plodding, middle-aged men talking in board rooms mecha anime of all time, got seventy-five goddamn episodes?

Isn't it like, 10 or 15 episodes before Crinn even gets in to the Dougram? Or has it just become exaggerated in my mind? I remember liking how long it took to build up to him becoming a pilot.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

I thought I was watching the M.A.S.K. opening for the first few seconds.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Raxivace posted:

Huh, racism was totally the last thing I expected Getter Robo Go to explore. I mean christ, all that's missing is the guy talking about how he wants to Make Donald Drumpf Again.

Go is probably the best of the Getter manga partly because Ishikawa is willing to step outside the franchises' comfort zone and tackle odd poo poo like that during it, but partly because it manages to be fairly good at it too. Schwartz is an rear end, but he actually grows as a character and it feels fairly natural despite how lovely he is. Add in things like the eponymous Go being an underpowered unit not powered by Getter Rays and the whole thing feeling like an army fighting a single battle against a foe rather than a couple of guys jumping in planes to defeat an empire and it really feels off brand comparerd to the rest, but in a really good way. The rest of the saga is great, and even the first two manga manage to be a lot of fun while going for a more simple adventure story, but the last two Getter mangas really solidify it's place as more than just a normal mecha story/manga by doing stuff like that and getting philosophical about the nature of evolution and so on at times.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I think SDF is overall a better show than 7, and it's one of my favorite shows full stop, but I think episode 42 (I think it's that one) of Macross 7 is my favorite episode of anime. It's the episode where everyone is preparing to go on a suicide mission but celebrating Mylene's birthday before they go since she won't be joining them (and Max forbids it even) - and the whole episode strikes a really good balance of melancholy drama with some humor to lighten it up. While Mylene ends up going on the mission and everyone comes back alive, the episode is somber enough to genuinely believe it may not happen and addresses her fear of being left out and left alone well along with Basara's singular passion simply to sing. I especially love the section where he plays an acoustic song while up on the roof of a building as he confronts the idea he may not come back from it and he just wants to make his song heard regardless.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ImpAtom posted:

I think SDF would be a better show if it ended at the final battle but I genuinely think most of the content post the final battle sort of sucks. The Zentradi adapting to Earth stuff is great but the Love Triangle plot goes full stupid for basically the entire thing and Hikaru becomes a far worse character.

In comparison I think MX7 is too slow to start but once it gets going it keeps hitting the beats and I guess I'm more willing to forgive a weak start than weak finish.

I'm the exact opposite I think, because while I completely agree with your assessment of the elements of SDF's final 13 episodes I still love it despite thinking it makes Hikaru a much worse character and don't know that I could ever watch 7 again because those opening 20 episodes or so are such a slog even if the rest is good. I love that SDF shows happy endings aren't easy, watching Kamjin struggle with culture, Earth rebuilding and so on and Hikaru's indecisiveness is worth it, even if it's a bad cap to what is, up till episode 27, a really well executed character who struggles realistically with what happens to him in my opinion.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Yea, I can't say as I thought Delta was good on the whole. It's got a really strong first episode, and some good scenes and episodes strung through the first half, like Hayate and Freyja going for a joy ride. Even some of the good episodes come with a proviso though, like episode 13 is great in a lot of ways but comes with the proviso that Hayate shooting Keith down has absolutely no emotional pay off of any kind. Even the characters in the show don't really react to it. A lot of the first half rides off the hype of the first episode though, or is only good as set up, and since that set up never really pays off, it's not all that great in retrospect. And much of it beyond episode 5 when the Windermereans declare war has very similar action, even in the episodes immediately afterward. A lot of people act like the action only got repetitive and dull after episode 13, but even a lot of the episodes between 5 and 11 are rather repetitive, at least in terms of action in my opinion.

It definitely has a great first episode, my second favorite behind the original SDF and easily at that. Episode one might as well come from a different show however - and absolutely nothing in the rest of the show matches the intensity or impact of the first episode.

I re-watched Zero a few days ago however and while I was pretty cold on it on initial viewing years ago I quite liked it this time around. It still has definite problems, especially in the resolution, melding the military drama with the island drama and Sara's bitching about Kadun's in the first few episodes being kind of annoying - even if it's given reason in the fourth episode. Mostly I realized just how much the Mayans are proto-Windermereans though, since they bang on about wind a lot, and both Sara and Mao feel the wind several times to find out what's happening.

tsob fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 13, 2016

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Artum posted:

I'd recommend Zegapain, the emotional kick is fairly potent in that one. It's also a good indictment of singularity digitising humanity fantasies.

Is there any anime (or tv show in general) featuring digitising humans that doesn't indict it?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Did Shin Mazinger actually revitalize the franchise? It was presumably responsible for the Shin Mazinger Zero manga getting made on some level, but other than that it doesn't seem to have made much of a splash or done much for the franchise as a whole. There's been a few other things made, like Robot Girls Z in the meantime, but Mazinger was never really dead as such, and there was always some kind of manga project every few years if nothing else to keeping it limping along by my understanding, so I'd imagine things like Robot Girls Z would have existed regardless of Shin.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

TaurusOxford posted:

Dammit, I was hoping for a bigger time skip. There's no way those forearms can do rocket punches. :(

I'm not a big fan of those designs since I think they lack a lot of the feeling of weight in visual design the originals had but Gypsy already had a nice rocket punch variation in the elbow rocket, and I'd prefer it retain that since it's distinctive than get a regular rocket punch.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I found Xabungle a little weird at first, because the 3 day rule was so silly to me. It does inform proceedings for a good chunk of the show, but the cast never treat it like it's all that serious so I quickly got over it and Xabungle became one of my favorite mecha/anime once I got in to it. I really need to re-watch it some day, because a lot of the second half is a blur to me after a few years and I find things tend to stick a lot more once I re-watch them. It's a very silly show a lot of the time, but it does have it's serious moments, and I think manages to stick a lot of them. One I particularly liked was Elchie's dad falling out of the window of the big mecha ship. Given the show's tone I expected him to be fine, but he died, and while it should probably come as inconsistent given the slapstick I think it worked in show because the cast reacted accordingly. Especially Elchie. I'll always love that when he died she chose not to chase revenge and instead stuck to her principles and decided that "culture" was more important to her, so she wanted to let it go. It's part of why I dislike the direction she was taken in the second half, since it rather disregards a lot of that character strength.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It is those things, though I don't know about the spoilered part (unless you mean the end of the second episode, in which case that character doesn't seem like an alien), but there is definitely a concerted effort on the part of the animation team to portray the main character, Maya, as a cute girl and the captain's daughter is portrayed in a similar, if less emphatic light. With the introduction of another character at the end of episode two that element is sure to increase too. I'd also say that while the mining element informs a large part of the show, the actual mining is pretty superficial and really just comes down to a character literally grabbing minerals and teleporting out with the whole vein. Which I guess is the production team's effort to make the whole thing more cinematic and flashy, which is fair enough. The show does still spend a lot of time building up to the actual mining, with characters surveying the geology (or astrogeology), transporting equipment and so on.

Mostly I just find the show kind of boring at the moment. There's some cool stuff there, and I'm enjoying the transhuman elements, but a lot of the corporate skullduggery seems to exist solely to force Maya in to her situation so far and the cutesy main character blushing and stammering around is less endearing (as I assume it's supposed to be) and more just grating. Perhaps the show will move past or rise above those elements in future, but I'm already at a point where I know I'll only be giving it a handful more episodes at most to find out.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I thought Roger was the only louse she mocked?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ImpAtom posted:

"Mr. Obari, we nee-" "Here is a fully scripted storyboard for a transformation of a giant robot." "H-how did you...?" "It's literally the only reason anyone talks to me."

I prefer to think that he just hands out full scripts, designs and transformations for giant robots as a greeting and that he doesn't even care why people are talking to him and would be surprised that they were actually looking for those things in the first place.

Raxivace posted:

I really liked the moment in The Second Raid where Sosuke, after finally beginning to truly connect with Chidori, gets the e-mail announcing he's being relieved of protecting her and isn't allowed to see her anymore. He just quietly reads the e-mail in an uncomfortably long amount of time before just punching the computer to loving death and losing his poo poo in a way we hadn't really see him do before.

That this all happens after he's already begun to have doubts about his life in the military, the usefulness of the Arbalest in battle etc. is good too.

The first season of FMP is generally seen as pretty weak, and I admit it's dull at times but I love the episode about halfway through the season where Sousuke goes off to fight in his homeland and just has this harrowing, lovely mission but Chidori is waiting at home for him, and the episode ends with the two of them just sitting next to each other, each bone tired and barely awake but finally able to see each other after waiting the whole episode. They barely even talk beyond acknowledging each other if I recall. It's a nice moment where their relationship starts to connect. I love the image of Sousuke in his mech walking through the desert dragging, is it a missile or something, in that episode as well. Just the image of his mech dragging something through this really desolate landscape to finally finish a mission that's taken so much out of him but he just wants done really stayed with me for some reason.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Delta has a really strong first episode. Maybe the best in the franchise, though I'm a big fan of SDFs as well. The next few episodes are pretty great too, but by episode 6 I think the show had started to flag and while it revived briefly around the midway point, even those episodes were cool but had problems. I still can't fathom why the show had Hayate successfully shoot down Keith only 2 episodes after Messer died. The character hadn't done anything to earn it by that point, nor had the show done anything dramatic to capitalize on the event. It's just a really weird resolution, that doesn't actually resolve anything for anyone involved. The fact he shot him down because of a magic boost just seemed really limp and stood out even when the episode aired. The next few episodes were mostly kind of dull, and by episode 20 I'd completely lost interest in the show despite loving the first episode so much. I still haven't finished it, and doubt I ever will.

The premise of tactical idols, break-dancing VFs and combat singing was just so well executed in the first episode and the show really did nothing to capitalize on any of it. The idols barely interact with a battlefield after the first episode, the drones disappear after a few episodes, Hayate does the Immelman dance maybe twice more in the following episodes and then just forgets about it and so on. It really feels like someone higher up saw the episodes negative comments online and in trying to appease the people with a negative perception ditched everything that had garnered the idea positive reception and ended up pleasing no-one.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

The Muffinlord posted:

I just finished Majestic Prince last night and I really enjoyed it, but I could seriously do without the whole "guess the genitals" plot for Ange. I'm glad it didn't last long, but I'd really hope that by 2110 the students of an elite military school could have some goddamn decorum.

Kids and teens, no matter how prestigious their surroundings aren't known for their decorum in general. I thought their curiosity about Ange was both understandable and relatively well handled. The guys were curious, tried to find out a few times through dumbass plans like seeing how Ange reacted to porn and then dropped it as unimportant. I would still prefer Ange's androgyny not have been a thing personally, but I don't have a problem with the way the show handled it given that it was. I think Majestic Prince had a knack for handling things in a quiet and unassuming but impressive way. The best example to me being the cold open of the coffin of the Team Doberhound guy. No crying, no recriminations or guilt, no real sound at all - just a minute or two of some people looking at his coffin and silently grieving the loss of their teammate. It showed a maturity of direction and trust in the audience's ability to grasp the character's feelings and reactions that's often missing. Majestic Prince wasn't an amazing show by any stretch, but I liked the cast and more than that liked how cliche melodrama was introduced and then just brushed off in a more grounded and straight forward manner through out the show.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Srice posted:

Given the show's pedigree it was almost definitely building towards something with Akito's darker turn, but since they wasn't able to get the additional movies they planned for (I'm assuming they were planning on more, at least) it winds up being quite the non-starter that can at best only be speculated on.

I haven't seen Nadesico in a few years but my recollection is that while it was pretty light hearted on the whole it tended to have an overall serious episode every now and then to help set up a point and then puncture it later. My impression has always been that Prince of Darkness was meant to be the same too, with subsequent movies being much more fun affairs after the set up of the first establishes the story, setting and tone they want to play with and examine. Mind you, I suppose in retrospect they should probably have included at least some of that within the film itself, perhaps in the final act to help establish what they were trying to do (assuming they were trying to do it in the first place).

Nate RFB posted:

Kind of reminds me of the Escaflowne Movie, another Darker And Serious attempt that more or less completely missed the spirit and point of the original.

I enjoy the Escaflowne TV animation but I'll always love the movie too, simply because the animation is gorgeous and there's a few cool ideas here and there. The story and characters are forgettable dross that the TV show did much better, but I love the opening flight sequence and especially the music accompanying it, the following fight sequence of Vann single handedly taking on an airship to get Escaflowne and the single mecha fight later in the movie where Vann takes on Dilandau. It's one of my favorite fights full stop, just because the movie isn't afraid to make things slow (relatively at least) and you can see not just each swing of the unit's swords lining up, but characters correcting to account for the opponents movements without having to slow the film's speed or re-watch it half a dozen times to see one frame.

I'll also admit that Escaflowne running on the pilot's blood and the whole sequence around it are just hilariously badass to me as well. It's a really edgy, stupid concept and the movie doesn't even do much to justify it or explore the concept but it's so cool I don't even care. My inner 13 year old has a field day every time I watch it I guess.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I like how blase Kihel is in that image. Though I think only Dianna wore that outfit in the show, so maybe it's her and that's just a Dianna doll under the couch. The eyes are a bit too small to use that tell. Who are the two in the back of the image (red haired dude and blue haired girl)? Don't recognize them at all.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I found IBO to be mostly just kind of boring. And I say that as someone who adores Turn-A, which many other people find rather boring. I've only seen season one of IBO though, so I can't comment on the second season. That said, the first 4 or 5 episodes of season one are really good, the last few episodes are decent if somewhat undercut by their own unwillingness to give any kind of consequence but the rest is just really dull and that rest is 15 or so episodes. The good in the season doesn't make the slog worth it to me.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It's not something I could fault it for, but it's not something I'd praise it for either. Aiming big isn't worth anything on it's own. That said, I'm not even sure how IBO is a re-imagining of Zeta.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Guy Goodbody posted:

That's the worst transformation I've ever seen

Putting aside that the front part of it is actually quite cool looking, it having a rather wonky and un-cool looking transformation perfectly fits the humor and setting of Xabungle. It's made by an advanced civilization with access to much greater technology, so it not looking like other mechs makes sense while it looking nearly cool but not actually cool is just like the example with Timp and his cigar; among many others. Jiron tries to look cool and comes off as kind of goofy and dumb a couple of times too if I recall. And trying to look cool but being kind of goofy in doing so is basically Fatman's whole shtick.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I never even heard of HiDive until this was announced. What are the chances they're mostly a North American license and it'll be on Crunchyroll or Funimation's App in Europe? Not that I know if that's even a thing with anime streaming apps, but it happens with Netflix here so I'm hoping.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
All they saw was a cost saving since their software programmer was apparently an architect. One with a flair for the dramatic they shared.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Yea, there was an interview with Takahashi a few years ago at some Western Con where he said he didn't actually particularly care about mecha and just used it to appeal to the producers. You can probably find it on Google easily enough. I want to say he was in Scotland for a con, though that seems like a very small one for him to appear at, but it'll almost certainly be findable with a bit of searching.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

The Muffinlord posted:

What's the best way to get familiar with Mazinger? I feel like it's something I should see but I feel like there's an imposingly large number of adaptations of it.

The only Mazingers I've seen are "Shin Mazinger", "Mazinkaiser" and "Mazinger SKL" and the only one of them I'd definitely recommend is "Shin Mazinger". It's an adaptation of the original manga by Imagawa of "G Gundam" and "Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still" fame, using a lot of Nagai's original characters because of rights issues or something if I recall and leans a little more in to the family melodrama of Kouji than many like but also gives the villains more presence and puts more emphasis on the background lore to the Mazingers than the original from my understanding. A lot of fans of the original weren't too happy because Imagawa put more emphasis on Kouji's family than they'd like, but I loved every second of it. It's got really strong action, a really compelling villain in Baron Ashura, the main cast are a lot of fun and even the narrator gets to have some cheesy fun during the show.

I watched "Mazinkaiser" almost straight off it's back and I think I may have done myself a disservice there, because it hews a lot closer to the original show. I found it quite dull personally, but I'm told it's a lot more rewarding for fans of the original show. I don't even remember the movie, which has Mazinkaiser dock mid air after being dropped from orbit and should be memorable on that alone, but apparently not.

"SKL" on the other hand is just a "Heavy Metal" cover brought to life, with the eponymous Mazinger engaging in almost nothing but fights for the entire run time, and silly weapons like a dragon head sword, gun kata and so on. It's dumb as poo poo, but I loved it for that reason and it's only 3 episodes long so it's no real harm in checking it out. I can't quite recommend it because there's no real story or anything, but it's still probably worth a look given it's short run time.

Other than that I don't think there's a huge amount of translated material anyway. I know there's the original show, but I'm not even sure if that's fully professionally subbed, rather than Hong Kong subbed. I'm pretty sure none of the other shows have been translated at this point, and most of them are AUs of various kinds, like God Mazinger which has a more fantasy setting and uses a power armor instead of a full blown mech I think.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The only hands on tests with the software I've read said that the actual software is quite simple and only fun for a short demo experience, but that the process of building the controller was oddly relaxing and that wearing it was neat so I'm really hoping LABO takes off and Platinum or someone makes it an optional control system for a new mecha game for the Switch. Platinum doing a G Gundam sequel game where you control the unit with the LABO robot would be fun as gently caress.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Rag's cool, but I think I liked Fatman, Chill and Timp more. Chill is one of the best child characters in anime to my mind, alongside Princess Anna in Overman King Gainer. Which is also a comic Tomino show.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Darling in the FranXX won't satisfy your desire for mech action though, since its very much concentrating on character and world building; at least for the moment. There's at least a token fight in every episode, but several of them are used to setup the premise of the episode in 30 seconds right at the off and nothing more. It's worth watching, just not for robit fights, at least as of 10 episodes in. There's maybe 2 good fights in those ten episodes, and they're both in the first handful of episodes. The show has pushed that to the back burner for a while.

tsob fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 19, 2018

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
What's the joke with the Mazinger and Gundam shots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

StrixNebulosa posted:

Can't speak for Mazinger, but Gundam pilots are disturbed on so many levels.

Someone clarified for me that in that scene Homer is thinking at Bart "I know you can hear me boy!". Which makes the scene fit far better than Homer just looking slightly perturbed.