Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Here's why they're doing push-ups at the beginning of Gunbuster.

https://news.mit.edu/2018/movement-enhancing-exoskeletons-impair-decision-making-1004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

To be fair me and Goodbody might be literally the only ones who watch Tiramisu.

Me too.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

So I had ordered that SD-Blu-ray of Ideon from Right Stuf. I got an e-mail from them today.
Emphasis mine.

Hopefully the HD version comes through- it was weird that we were ever getting an SD-Blu-ray to begin with.

Looks like the page for the SD-Blu-ray of Xabungle is still up though.

Got that mail yesterday, kind of holding my breath on Xabungle now too.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Marx Headroom posted:

Yknow I was actually thinking of a completely different groping incident so there ya go

Still there's a good 3-parter in the first season called The Wind Blows At Home, it's got "Aliens but in the middle east" vibes and basically no fanservice so I'd highly recommend that and nothing else

That arc was written especially for the show, it wasn't in the novels at all. I don't think it was in the manga either.

Fumoffu, the second season, is 100% comedy though it has Bonta-kun so it's not totally worthless.

After the first three episodes of Invisible Victory the story will stay fairly serious until the end of the entire story, in the inevitable next season.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Your Parents posted:

Watch Shin Mazinger. Idk what the hell Mazinger infinity is but it's probably bad

Infinity is the movie that came out last year.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Droyer posted:

A loooong time ago I posted about a mecha game i kickstarted and now it's finally coming out! https://store.steampowered.com/app/746580/HARDCORE_MECHA/
I had access to backer demos and somesuch so I can confirm it's a lot of fun and I would recommend it.

I’m a civilian sprite.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

I wanted to have enough context for the rest of the video to make sense to someone who never watched a super robot show before, and to that end I wanted to cover enough of the first episode to have the show explain itself. That being said, I do agree with you. It's the part that went through the most revisions, and it's still the part I'm least happy with.

I'd like to do more, but I'm not going to making any promises. This was the product of a great deal of free time, which I don't expect to have for a while. I do have a few ideas, though.

Always remember your audience. Unless you had a particular person in mind and made this just for them, consider how likely it is for someone who has never before seen any super robot material to watch your video. It’s OK to make some assumptions about your audience, especially for niche subjects like mecha anime.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

L
M
A
I

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Trip report: if you hated Gurren Lagann, you probably won’t like Promare either.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Shere posted:

Specifically it's a mix of the Assault on Teppelin and Rossiu's Ark portions of Gurren Lagann, as rewritten by the people responsible for Kill la Kill, and it's an alternate universe where Kamina didn't die.

With some huge Mazinger Z callbacks out of nowhere around 80 minutes in.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Marx Headroom posted:

Hope you enjoy Big O, I love that series to death.

Not sure if this is a spoiler but just in case: there's an amazing Samuel Delany book called Dhalgren about an amnesiac in a weird rear end isolated city called Bellona that reminds me of Paradigm City so much it gives me chills, does anyone know if that book was an influence on the show?

Welp I know what I’m looking for at the used bookstore this weekend.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I remembered playing these as a kid and they’re still on my shelf at mom and dad’s house. They’re two hex grid tactical games from Takara based on Dougram; there was a third from VOTOMS that the local hobby shop never got. These have typewritten English instructions included along with the original Japanese manuals. These are kind of obscure in the US, there weren’t many imported before the distributor got a C&D and stopped.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

He was amazing.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

The last extreme was released in US wasn't it?

We got Extreme and Extreme Full Boost on consoles you could import region free, and then they never did Maxi Boost and gave us the underwhelming Gundam Versus in North America, now we’re finally getting the really good one here!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Awesome, didn’t know it had been picked up.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

Whoa what is that? Looks awesome.

It’s the Battle of Teppelin and Rossiu’s Ark plots from Gurren Lagann animated by the Kill la Kill studio.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

That's because the masters were lost for that one, apparently.

Laserdisc rips are the best we can get.

I wish they’d just rip the LDs, do what they can to it, and make that available even if it’s not quite as nice looking.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Not Japanese but mecha all the same, I need to retrieve my copy from my parents’ house next time I’m there. Whenever that is.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

gourdcaptain posted:

Sentai Filmworks's new VOTOMS BD set doesn't have any of the bizarre frame blending interlacing issues that plagued their previous set, and has the later OVAs in HD!

...it also has Pailsen Files, a 16:9 OVA, displaying squashed to 4:3 on most people's players, including mine. *sigh* I don't even.

It really seems like a lot of publishers don’t take the couple of hours to actually watch their master disc before sending them off to the dupe house. Neither the hosed up interlacing nor hosed up aspect ratio has an excuse in 2020.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

Basically, it's like the anime people watch in anime.

I am still waiting for Celestial Being: The Movie.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Rahxephon has a tone/atmosphere unlike almost any mecha anime I've ever seen so that's part of the draw. And the OP is a banger.

But to respond here, I'm curious: ARE there any masterpiece mecha animes? Even something like Neon Genesis Evangelion has its flaws, and I - imho - think it's easily the best of them all in a lot of ways.

If there is it’s gotta be something short. Nothing long can stay good for its whole run.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Everything has flaws so by that measure no, but I would call Evangelion, Giant Robo, Big O, maybe Escaflowne and Macross Plus masterpieces. Gunbuster is close and probably some others I'm forgetting.

I agree with Macross Plus.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Assessor of Maat posted:

my two cents on "masterpieces" is that my mum, who is old enough to have seen the moon landings live, watched Turn A like two years ago and really enjoyed it

I figure that counts for something

That’s probably a better endorsement than anything we’ll come up with here.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

God drat, who makes that milia valkyrie? I've always wanted to get some macross fighters but never knew what company or which releases were the ones to get.

Toynami made some inexpensive transforming VF-1 figures in just about every color scheme and equipment loadout in Macross, including Max and Mirya’s. While they weren’t as good as the more expensive figures for $20 they were hard to beat.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Zeether posted:

I almost got a Hi-Metal R Millia valkyrie off Mandarake before I realized how much it would cost with shipping

Sometimes you can use a reshipper like tenso that can offer less expensive shipping or consolidate several items into one box and you can scale that way. I do that all the time with Amazon Japan stuff and a few other places that I can buy direct from but only offer SUPER EXTREME FAST SHIPPING to the US that costs $40 to ship a $5 book but a reshipper will handle for much less. Even then you can get some economies of scale if you order a bunch of items from one place. It's worth noting that EMS and SAL, the inexpensive postal service options from Japan to the US, are still offline at the moment so you're stuck with Fedex, DHL (lol) and UPS (lmao). When their postal service starts working with ours again you may see some less expensive shipping options.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ahahahahahhaahha. Hopefully they sell Mellowlink by itself in North America.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Anonymous Robot posted:

Thanks. I may actually try to watch them, if it’s something I can reasonably watch as a standalone series of films. The animation is breathtaking.

The fourth and supposedly final one will be released in Japan early next year.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Marvel Comics is doing an event where all the Avengers get giant robots!

Unfortunately, it features the most garbage mecha designs I've ever seen

I look at this picture and in my head I just hear “faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart.”

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Macross Plus.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The second volume of the Full Metal Panic translations by J-Novel Club came out a few days ago. This one goes through Dancing Very Merry Christmas so they’ve already gone farther than Tokyopop did!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Oh poo poo they're getting good translations. That's sick, I read the old awful fantranslations on my psp years ago on a car trip, probably the worst reading experience of my life.

The TP ones weren’t awful but yeah, the fanlations were super rough.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Train wreck is being unkind, though it’s fair to say that it didn’t meet the expectations of many.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

That’s a promo for a phone gacha game, by the by. It’s cute.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Muffinlord posted:

Regarding Back Arrow, what's the over/under on the Granedger being able to transform? I swear it looks like it has fists coming out the back.

I just called into the Mirage and the Vegas line on that prop is 0.5.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

The only good thing Robotech ever got us was that PS2 game

INCORRECT

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

The psp frontier games were pretty cool too. Ace combat in figther mode and gundam vs. Style in batteroid mode. Ger walk let's you hover around like a helicopter

Artdink's mecha games for psp were great and it's a shame we only got a single Gundam game on Vita since then.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Was the new FMP series good? I already read the novels so I don't need the story if it's good but I wanna see the Levatein in action

It's ok; it goes pretty fast and sticks to the main novels so there's not any comedy interludes with short story adaptations but it covers the plot well enough. It goes through Continuing On My Own, Burning One Man Force, and Come Make My Day. Dancing Very Merry Christmas came between TSR and IV is skipped since it got a radio drama and doesn't have a lot of impact on the overall plot anyway. The Laevatein only gets one fight, in the next to last episode, so if that's what you want you can cut to that one.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

FMP spoilers
Did they skip the fight with him in the Savage fighting the mech he usually uses that I can't remember the name of? If so that's lame as hell, I remember reading that in it's extremely poorly translated glory and thinking that it'd be sick as poo poo in an anime

That kinda sounds lame, rushing through three lns in 12 episodes seems weak as hell, at least it got finished I guess

Edit: Just downloaded, I didn't realize they used CGI, absolutely unwatchable, I'll just use the LN's as reference

No, the arena fights in the Crossbow and going against the Mithril defector in the M9 still happen, albeit in the space of like 4 episodes so it's kind of fast but still there. And they didn't finish the series, it has another season to go before they make it to the end. The PS4 game isn't a bad way to experience the rest of the plot, and it's even fully voiced in both English and Japanese.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

When did this happen? I swear I leave a genre for five minutes and poo poo actually starts getting made.

I am glad people got to experience the end of FMP even if they didn't wanna read the novels, I have some problems with a lot of it, but as a whole it was a good time and people deserve that.

It came out three or four years ago. Here's my review from another thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Unfortunately, the lead writer is Noboru Kimura, whose original screenplays tend to range from mediocre to crap. You may recognise him as the writer of Gundam Build Divers (not Re:Rise - that was Yasuyuki Muto).

lmao hard pass