Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Gaius Marius posted:

Not since Akito have I been so underwhelmed. The action looks like every other CGI Mecha anime but with roller skates, the character designs are atrocious and the robots look too humanoid instead of going back to the superior KF's from S1.

Well, this is supposed to be a sequel. I get your point, but it would be like asking Gundam sequels to only use OYW-era suits. Technologically speaking, a lot of things have happened since the end of the first season. That's why I'm glad they still see some value in continuing to use ground combat Knightmare Frames in spite of this. I assume the staff knows people enjoy seeing rollerskating mecha in their Code Geass anime.

I quite liked the mecha battles in Akito way back in the day, though admittedly the camera work was a little hard to follow on small screens. Either way, 3DCG quality has improved since then and there's no going back.

As for the character designs, the late Takahiro Kimura was always a 1990s guy at heart. He even did Betterman, so multicolor hair doesn't bother me.

wielder fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

More on the upcoming Code Geass anime...someone has uploaded an extended PV (with fan subs), which does tell us more about what they're going for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VF2jn8FVUU

A little cryptic, but still provides food for thought. It's got the potential to be pretty interesting.

Mecha-wise, it's curious how this seems to be a sequel to the 2019 movie, but they're mostly using melee or close combat. Not a complaint, mind you!

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

Is it a sequel to the movie? I doubt Britannians would still be mass murdering Japanese people under Nunnally 's rule

As far as we can tell, yes it is. No specific setting details available right now, but I'm assuming this is likely an offshoot or splinter group of some kind.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Fivemarks posted:

And you know what maybe we shouldn't talk about Godannar.

Godannar was a fun show with nice retro-throwbacks, including the OP/ED and OST. :colbert:

Sure, the fanservice was so over-the-top it almost wrapped back around, Keijo-style, which was helpful by virtue of being pretty tongue-in-cheek at times.

I'll say the relationship stuff had a couple of problematic bits, because of course it did, yet you're not wrong in that it also had some interesting variety in that area.

wielder fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 8, 2024

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i don't think the main relationship really worked at all. he just acted like he was her dad 99% of the time.

Absolutely, it wasn't great in terms of power dynamics. Still, at least there was a focus on both sides complementing each other.

Thus why I'll admit it's not a shining beacon of romance or anything. You'd get way more out of, say, a Macross love triangle in that respect.

I'm kinder towards the show, comparatively, because of the Kimura designs and how it (plus Nanoha) got me out of a Kiminozo-induced slump way back in the ancient year of 2003.

wielder fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jan 8, 2024