Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Point me to who was talking poo poo about nono because I ain't reading all those words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Problems are solved through action, and I've got a hell of a lot of action to work through.

*cracks knuckles*

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Midjack posted:

It's only four pages in the thread, you can probably handle it.

I could beat up everybody in the thread and the world would be better for it, but that's a lot of effort.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Although it would be cooler if everybody said what you personally found appealing about the wider concept of Big piloted robots at its core, and then we can try to find the commonalities.

Robot science.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Although I guess that's actually robot philosophy, to ask what is robot.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

I tried to write up a thing about how I think giant robots are well equipped to explore certain sets of themes, but I realized that in almost all my examples the giant robots had nothing to do with it

I fell out of robots anime because I realized this eventually also.

Originally I was really attached to them because robots are power fantasy. They are power fantasy with a physical and prominent manifestation of that power inherent to the design, like a knight's suit of armor the object by itself is a physical display of power. Unlike knights and other power fantasy where the ability to wield power comes from birth or experience and education, robots are more egalitarian. In theory anybody can operate the machine, its an empty shell that can be filled by your will. That transferable aspect of power is similar to the attractiveness of power held by a gun. Its a simple tool that can level a complicated playing field. That aspect was really attractive to me as a child and a minority, a double whammy of feeling powerless in a complicated world.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 27, 2015

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Now I just listen to fetty wap on endless loop and read shoujo manga, cause I dont give a hoot.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Robot Anime feels derivative and referential to the point its incestuous, but I haven't seen tons of it so that's just my two cents.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Zoids are the coolest robots and I would definitely watch a new series that will never happen.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Deathsaurer is strongest!!

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Kobayashi loves the Bound Doc and has been doing stuff with it forever and ever now.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

a kitten posted:

It must suck to be assigned to a regular ol Destroid unit in Macross, those guys seem to exist solely to get exploded.

being a Monster would rule, especially if you're part of the Daedalus.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

mikeycp posted:

Go Nagai may not be the guy for you, sorry to say.

He has an absolutely gigantic body of work, most of which was silly shonen comedy. Just because he's only known in the west for Devilman doesn't mean that darkness is what defines him as an artist.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

What the heck, that is the raddest OP.

Thank you bunches, guys, I've got oodles of anime to check out now. :D

It's done by EUROX which is a band created by some members of TAO after that band was finished.

Tao did the Vifam OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwszwb3aIPg

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

http://www.takaratomy.co.jp/products/zoids_teaser/

Parallax thinks it might be a game, I think it's gonna be a new ova/movie type of project.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The masterpiece liger came out already and that's not it, that's a new design.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Also is like, very obviously a textured render.

fullsize clean, for backgrounds:

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 26, 2016

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

I was thinking more of a really well painted older kit.

I know my Zoids.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Two new Zoid pics out, still no real announcement.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

These ones actually do look like just the HMM kits, also.

The Molga has some new vents and the Command Wolf is about as close as can be, the only real difference being the feet, canopy, and some small surface details.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'm thinking it might just be a new battle story getting published. These really remind me of those old battle story action shots.

And they really are just heavily modified models, the original liger teaser threw me off because the head was almost entirely new compared to the HMM, and what you could see of the body had many new surface details.

If it was a game you'd think they'd have renders to use, and a show would have designs streamlined for animation.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 7, 2016

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Diebusterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

rRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrR

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Haha, if only this weren't true... I almost wish mecha shows weren't universally 40+ episodes long, it makes it hard to marathon 'em.

busterrrrrrrr....

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I think if the characters don't grab you it won't work at all, because thats what it is for me. One of the strongest friendship narratives in anime.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Wrapped up in gainax's huge pool of talent all pretty like.

It shares the same theme and tone and even major story elements with the later Lagann but because its a smaller cast and shorter series its much more focused.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

Anything new on those awesome zoids photos making the rounds?

Mobile MOBA.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Japanese fans aren't happy either.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ID-0 is still cool.

I'm hoping Ido is an intelligent AI with no human life instead of a person who just got amnesia, personally.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

You should watch Vifam instead.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

dogsicle posted:

gigguk seems to have an issue with doing tacky gags like that, though usually they're just based around dumb things in anime fandom and not anti-lesbian. i find the whole concept annoying because there's definitely a group taking those things at face value, and the ~satire~ of the jokes isn't particularly good in the first place.

Irony becomes genuine sincerity when you repeat it enough so I have a low tolerance for it, especially nowadays.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

So, who here is Team Freedom and who is Team Death Metal?

their little trailer had pretty bad composite shots of animated kids on cg zoids so small you dont sit in the cockpit, you kinda sit on their neck. I'm upsetti.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It looks like they have good staff working on the show tho, might be cool for kids.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The important thing about diebuster that makes it better than gun is that the Lal'c Nono romance is way better realized than the Noriko Kazumi one.

It's a stronger relationship built over the course of the series and is the centerpiece of the whole thing.

It's not a power fantasy of getting stronger from hard work and guts like gunbuster is, it's a teenage love story with the ups and downs that entails.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Very Incredulous Goon, watching a teenage girl profess her desire to commit glorious martial suicide and live together as stars forever with her bestie: This doesn't seem like a romance to me.