Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.
Can some one give me a rundown on more recent mecha shows that are good or particularly noteworthy beyond the obvious stuff? Anything post Gurren Lagann would be nice, maybe some stuff prior to it. I feel like I have a decent grasp on stuff from the 70s and 80s, though my knowledge gets progressively weaker through the 90s, 00s, and now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.

Kanos posted:

It depends on what you mean by obvious. If you spend a lot of time in these threads, you've probably at least heard of most of the obvious recommendations. It also depends on what your tolerance for really long shows are.

-For the 90s:
  • Gaogaigar: Starts off pretty generic, once you get into it it gets super good
  • Dai Guard: One of my favorite mecha shows period.
  • Macross 7: Long but fun as hell.
  • Nadesico but holy poo poo not the movie
  • The Eldoran shows if you don't mind children's yuusha robo shows.

-For the 2000s:
  • Gravion and Gravion Zwei: Gravion is highly generic but OK, Zwei is really fun and good
  • Rahxephon: Sort of an alternate take on Eva, but takes its own path in a lot of ways and I really like it.
  • Code Geass
  • Aquarion
  • Godannar: MASSIVE amounts of fanservice to the point of self-parody, but if you can stomach that it's an amazing modern take on a 70s-style super robot show
  • Shin Mazinger
  • Overman King Gainer: Not my favorite Tomino production, but it's well-loved
  • Eureka Seven
  • Gun x Sword: One of my favorite shows period
  • Full Metal Panic

There's a lot more than this, of course, but these are some off the cuff recommendations.

Most of these are ones I know of and have seen, or know about and just forget about constantly (Gravion, Godannar, Gun x Sword). Same with Fafner and Rinne no Lagrange (which I keep reading as Kurogane no Linebarrels). I feel like that basically confirms my feeling that I haven't been missing much. I guess none of the shows that have been out in the last recent years have much merit to them? I keep trying to think of more recent shows and I'll think "Star Driver" and "Heroman" realize that was 5 years ago.

Also, since I brought up Linebarrels, is the manga of that of any note? I don't know a whole lot about mecha manga beside Five Star Stories and Getter Robo, but don't know if there is much of it out there beside Gundam sidestories and Shin Mazinger Zero, which is certainly something.

Raxivace posted:

RahXephon really frustrates me because it has all of the pieces of a pretty amazing show and they don't come together well at all, at least to me.
This is basically exactly like how I felt. I watched it, Evangelion, and Brain Powered at the same time and I felt like there were times where I thought RahXephon was going to sweep the other two away and just came out of it being mad as hell. I feel less strongly negative about it now, but still find it frustrating.