Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I kinda like the incredibly grey morality presented in Cannon God Exaxxion. The protagonist is sort of just rolling with the punches and following orders, even thought he doesn't agree with them, but they are kind of the only option at that moment so he kinda has to most of the time. The inventor of the robot giving him the orders is literally telling him that yeah we're gonna save the world, and while doing so, loving take it over and become god king of Earth. Get in the robot, shoot the loving gun.

Even the enemy aliens have a bunch of civilian innocents not related to the conspiracy they are fighting and they just do the poo poo they gotta do regardless of how many of them / innocent earthlings they end up taking out in the process. But they do acknowledge and sometimes struggle with the fact that it's happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Neo_Crimson posted:

I just watched Getter Robo Armageddon. Two words: gently caress yeah.

Tell me of a mecha show that's as :getin: as that (sans Gurren Lagann of course).

Read the manga.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

alcharagia posted:

Today I came to the realization, after several years of watching Go-Lion and related Voltron properties, that it is called Go-Lion because it is five lions put together.

Have you never watched the intro then?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Just play the DYRL arcade game.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Good luck to any manga ever hoping to live up to Getter though, really.

edit: I was looking up stuff about that upcoming Voltron show and found this article, laughed:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2016/01/11/we-dont-need-a-new-voltron-on-netflix-we-need-gaogaigar/#3ce62cc9607e

Anyway here's the new Voltron logo I guess

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 9, 2016

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Raxivace posted:

I haven't seen the show but the mere mention of GaoGaiGar makes me kind of miss Clawshrimpy.

When I saw the article I was like "whoa I didn't know Clawshrimpy wrote for forbes!"

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
That article makes it sound like a total reboot/remake/whatever, which is almost a surprise. All previous Voltron extension seasons/shows seemed to probably be continuations from each other, other than maybe Voltron Force ignored 3D.

Here's hoping it's good, anyway.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
If i didn't kind of hate video editing I'd probably make a stupid long mecha clips video synced to this: https://soundcloud.com/maddecent/blood-bros-first-blood

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Anger is a feeling. "This sucks" is a feeling. :v:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
You are on a magical journey

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Kanos posted:

This is a near universal opinion among people I know who have watched FMP, to be honest.

I mean once you see an all mascots SWAT team mission nothing else is gonna compare

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I kinda really love the ending to Braiger for some reason. Yo man I heard a bunch of people are just gonna like, take off into space, let's do that too!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
If art was truly celebrated in this world there would be a faithful anime version of the entire Getter Robo manga with an infinite budget.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
The new Voltron is indeed good as gently caress and it would be great to see it in future SRW games if possible.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Don't forget the castle as a ship :pcgaming:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Hell even the previous Voltron cartoon would be interesting in SRW, as it had extra units and the strange option of forming Voltron with different lions as the core for different forms. It's like the perfect :regd08: for the combining/transforming function.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

RubberLuffy posted:

I've been playing a lot of Super Robot Wars V so now I'm watching Shin Mazinger and then I'll probably watch Getter Robo Armageddon.

these are good decisions

an even better decision would be to read all the getter manga, it fuckin owns

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Hence I said all. Gotta get the whole saga.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Being a Getter Pilot brings you many routes to Valhalla

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm watching Voltron Season 3

Boy they're telegraphing Evil Voltron pretty loving hard

It's annoying that the characters don't seem to see it coming but I'm fine with it as a thing, I suppose. It's been done before in the franchise.

Honestly it's almost weird that Voltron is like the only robot in a galaxy of spaceships I suppose.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Darth Walrus posted:

That actually makes sense to me. Giant humanoids are pretty much the least practical vehicle designs, and giant humanoids that spend most of their time in space are even more so. By embracing and exaggerating that impracticality (it's not just a warship shaped like a great big metal knight, it's a great big metal knight made out of great big metal lions), Voltron stands out amidst a universe full of more conventional sci-fi designs as something otherworldly - not a simple weapon, but an ancient god of war.

Oh yeah it makes sense from that perspective, it's just weird in a genre sense. Usually there's a bunch of robots or the enemies also have some robots or whatever.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Neat stuff. I listen to these mixtapes at work sometimes and every time I start imaging cutting mecha scenes to them and it sounds cool in my head but also like an impossible amount of editing work.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Snooze Cruise posted:

Haha, I knew exactly what this was going to be before clicking it, because I have had a similar thought.

Getters for The Glow, Great Mazinger for Thunder In Your Heart. (oh man i'm glad it wasn't just me)

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
personally when I started watching Shin Mazinger I COULD NOT STOP until I was passing out in the chair and ended up watching the whole thing in like 24 hours with a couple hours sleep somewhere in the middle cuz hell yea this rules.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Netflix Voltron.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Darth Walrus posted:

I remember the first season of that being solidly OK. Nothing terrible, nothing super-special. Does it step up its game from there?

It has ups and downs but the latest season had like several fights where I was like "wow Im actually thinking 'cool fight' at a show again". There is some obvious dumb stuff where the writers changed their minds on stuff / were forced to change? but still a lot of solid watchable show, I think. It tosses out legit surprises here and there.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Devilman Crybaby is a fun rear end watch

GorfZaplen posted:

Here is a PSA: if you liked Devilman then what you need to watch is CB Chara Go Nagai World.

this is shockingly true

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Eela6 posted:

Pacific Rim was bad because they didn't kiss at the end.

Kiss, drat you!

The robots? Yeah I agree.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I seem to recall female fans being a big deal for Voltron in the US, even to this day. Robotech attempted to market dolls to girls too but I dunno how well that worked.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhqfdpIkXKA

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Read the whole saga if you can, it's a wild ride.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Srice posted:

I feel like I'm an odd man out in that I really enjoy the various Getter OVAs but straight up dislike the manga. I guess they just concentrate on the elements I like while excising the stuff I think is boring?

Not to mention Jun Kawagoe is a slick as hell action director who doesn't get nearly enough work in the industry.

There is one thing the OVAs have that the manga cannot compete with....the voice acting. It owns.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I too watched that in the semi-recent past and had a good time. Neat show.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
If you can't enjoy Gunbuster of all fuckin things I feel straight up sorry for you and your joyless existence.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Kanos posted:

Calgon, take me away!

Did they do that in multiple games or are we the only two people on the planet that played Cosmic Fantasy 2

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

dis astranagant posted:

They did it in Vanguard Bandits.

Vic must have really liked that commercial huh

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Blaze Dragon posted:

If you aren't a giant robot or can't pilot or turn into one you shouldn't be around tbh.

Exceptions may be made but only for beings of the hottest of blood.

I will not stand for this attack on bridge bunnies and maintenance crew.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
If Harmony Gold wants to keep pulling this poo poo they should at least do the "right thing" and buy the franchises straight up like World Events did for Voltron.

I guess that's a lot more reasonable when we're talking about GoLion and not Macross but you know, gently caress em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Read the entire manga on a nice highres monitor.