Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

boom boom boom posted:

From what I remember of Mazinkaiser SKL, it's only a really good introductory mecha anime if the person being introduced is a 14 year old boy. Wan't it just a lot of robot fight scenes with guns that are axes and then a volcano explodes?

SKL can be best described as a series of metal album covers loosely animated and voiced, with the soundtrack being songs from said albums. And it's amazing, if just for the fact that it runs with it, without even a hint of shame or wink-wink nudge-nudge irony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

muike posted:

imagawa made a titty manga? news to me.

At this point it's easier to accept that every artist did one at some point.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

article: http://yaraon-blog.com/archives/72006

WHAT THE gently caress IS EVEN HAPPENING ANYMORE. THAT CONCEPT ART. ARGH

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Nothing's bad about it. In fact the exact opposite. Throwing the Laevatein in the concept art is just a perfect little cherry on top of the announcement.

No joke, hearing about this, I thought it was straight up bullshit. I'm too excited for this.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Like I said I'm not worried about any of it. I don't know how you could read into it that I'm anything but, especially after saying I was excited.

Wonder when we'll get some stills from the show to pore over, and get doubly excited about. I can't wait. :neckbeard:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

muike posted:

Does anyone remember that notoriously bad beast machines giraffe transformer toy

Longrack?

(I don't actually know any transformers stuff outside Thew.)

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8sQ6GqvD8I

Holy poo poo.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Goddamn do I hate April Fools

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

It's a really cool old school show with a super kickass opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRHQjqtojwI

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It's also going to have Cross Ange though so y'know, monkey paw wishes.

At least it has pretty cool mech and monster designs. Did the music end up good? I tried to watch to hear what Akiko Shikata would put out, but I couldn't take the show itself. If the music ended up good, seems like SRW would be the best place for it, far away from it being able to do anything terrible.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Kingtheninja posted:

Anything new on those awesome zoids photos making the rounds?

Well it's definitely not a mobile game and all that cool stuff wasn't just a horrible waste, no siree...

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/pKjd/status/789688200054710272

:frogsiren:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Raideen and RahXephon double feature :kheldragar:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I dunno, once I watched the whole series, it made sense as I was going through it.

Of course, I didn't have the luxury of watching the show at first. When I first saw it I saw the movie, and at the time, I had no loving idea what was going on past a point. :downs:

(I do honestly love the show though and it's one of my favorites. Enough to even have a physical box set.)

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/pKjd/status/812170290318823424

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Obviously he'd need to have some Riesbyfe or Zenia in him what with the pile bunker arms.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/Story_terror/status/861244975765348352

So LWA is just a mecha show now huh.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

muike posted:

i really like fmp because of the cold war alternate history setting and technological aspect and characters and i love gates ok please stop causing me emotional distress

Midjack posted:

i got your back mang

(I also love the goofy romantic comedy and fish out of water antics stuff too.)

I can't wait for the new series to come out and probably dump the old english voice cast and probably be disappointing in other ways because :negative:

At least I'll always have Souske being amazing in SRWV.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah I couldn't handle the show, but I liked the bits in the game well enough, and by all accounts it pretty much saved it.

But I don't care because I'm too busy nuking the world and soloing maps with Sala from 18 spaces away

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

VolticSurge posted:

And of course Twitch chat proclaimed the whole thing to be scripted. Because of course they would.

I mean, duh? There's no way in hell this sort of thing wouldn't be.

That doesn't make it not fun to watch, but that's just kind of the nature of a project with so many companies backing it and expecting their cut of ad revenue.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

Pacific Rim 2 isn't very good :(

I was super excited for it until I saw the first actual trailer for it and then I just got depressed. Between the song choice, the visuals they went with for it, and the lack of that Del Toro spark, it just came off as super uninteresting.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Artum posted:

I was getting extremely AC vibes from it.

It's extremely AC4/V if nothing else.

Which is a real shame.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

LamesDoc posted:

I just bought AC4, is it not a good game? I thought game play looked interesting

I could literally talk about AC for hours, so I'll try to keep myself in check, but the PS2 generation of games focused on being a careful balancing act between speed, energy, managing lockons, and manipulating enemy FCSes all in service of trying to make sure your shots landed on-target while evading enemy fire. AC4 though went in a different direction and the name of the game was quick boost evasion and automatic lockons.

I'm still waiting for a game to come out as an Armored Core successor that really 'gets' what made the old gameplay fun.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Are both SRW titles on the PS4 worth getting?

All three are.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/jnovelclub/status/1225524641575383045

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

ngl, i'm super excited for this, mainly from being an absolutely huge RahXephon fan. To the point where it's one of all of four shows i own. I first got into it on the free anime on demand cable channel thing I stumbled across a million billion years ago when I was just starting to branch out beyond the basic poo poo, and found the movie and it kicked something off in me. Looking forward to the rest of the recap.

That being said, man, starting with the movie does not prep you for seeing the main series.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Obviously you need to have part 10 - epilogue for the movie :haw:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I remember liking Delta while I watched it, but it had the problem that seemingly every macross I like has where the characters I enjoy get shunted off to the side past a point. It's to the point where I just straight up expect it from the series by now.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Obviously that means it's time for a revival. Since Hathaway's Flash is currently a thing to promote, have the Zeorymer alongside the Xi and Penelope and someone can make the obvious references.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Crossposting from the VN thread but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ljulqkkw6Ik

I started the series a week or two ago and chugged all the way up to relatively early in Alternative, so I'm gonna have to finish it soon before I hear/see something from further in than I am.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah having literally just finished alternative even I can tell that there is absolutely no way they could possibly do it justice. Not even a matter of skill or anything, just too much content/context.

Also on the redesigns, between this and tsukihime remake is it just me or is there this weird trend going around on redesigning characters from that era? They just seem to take a belt sander to various standout character design elements and I don't quite get it. Stuff like v-peaked hair, hair intakes, large accessories like kasumi's ribbon or ciel's glasses, etc. It's kinda lame to see, honestly.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

No way, the big glasses and peaked hair are the best.

Which, funnily enough in going back to muv luv, also applies to Chizuru.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

(It's presumably weird because right now the Chinese and the Russians are conducting well documented genocides.)

Wait until you find out about America

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

We got like five different American full throated active ethnic cleansings going on right now, if anything we need to be more specific on which one to base our mecha anime villainy on.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Who was talking positively about Russia at all in any capacity? Where did Putin come into this? What part of any of this led to going a step above 'ok bot'?

Focus, my dude.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Armored Core is... A spectrum.

With pretty much every console generation it changed pretty drastically, with the PSX and PS2 games being the 'most similar' so to speak, but for the most part it kinda depends what you want out of it, since there are a lot of ways to play even within the context of a given generation. PSX games are pretty basic but fast enough, and a general solid foundation on the action and building aspects.

The PS2 games stepped it up big time on the customization front and kept the speed decently high, though they did take steps to mitigate it a bit past AC2AA, adding more drawbacks to speed options, and really took it to another level in Nexus with its booster heat stuff. For the most part this era is kinda defined by manipulating how the lock on systems work and stuff, and so it can be a bit more involved there, but for the most part it isn't demanded of you to super finetune your operation or anything.

AC4 stepped up the appearance of speed, with stuff like quickboosts and whatnot, but kinda has an issue with everywhere you fight just being a giant open area so its less impactful, and focused more on twitch action dodge button kinda stuff than the earlier ones. And ACV tried to do weird squad role stuff and, uh, kinda fell on its face for it.

Overall though, they're generally pretty fast paced mech action stuff, not really doing the whole mechwarrior slow and stompy style, so if that sounds up your alley, its def worth a shot.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 16, 2022

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Nah, go play the PSX/2 games, immerse yourself in the corporate hellscape. :getin:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

oh no, no way, not letting them hurt me another time

....i'm totally gonna. :negative:

tsob posted:

The original show wasn't anything great really, but it was at least silly fun a lot of the time.

Pretty much this is how I feel about it. It was hardly perfect but it had a lot of big dumb fun stuff and could have some nice feelgood stuff. And then Evol went and stomped on some of the best bits in retrospect for no good reason.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Gripweed posted:

What is the best mecha cockpit?

I'm torn between Arm Slaves and the Original Seven for entirely different reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

Unfortunately that appears to be a multiplayer focused game.

So is Gundam EXVS and that's peak.