Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Reds posted:

Overman King Gainer isn't anything like G-Reco though.

Not remotely. Gainer is more akin to a slice of life mecha nomad anime that has occasional serious stuff, while G-Reco tries to do the same except it's all plot and they really need another 10 episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

There's two seasons of Fafner 2 and no one mentions it. That's amazing. I have no idea what it was or that it had a 2nd season until I checked up a summary site.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

But I have like no idea what the show's about, because my usual review sites aren't covering it. Anyone give a summary?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Speaking of sequels no one talks about, apparently Code Geass is getting yet another spin-off show?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

muike posted:

Does anyone remember that notoriously bad beast machines

yes.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Funimation tries hard to get back the original VA's when it's feasible, like Evangelion. Especially if they were main characters.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

a kitten posted:

Aliens singing? What nonsense.

:ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WKB1KSMfRo

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Not technically an OVA, but the compilation movies of Gurren Lagann and Gundam 0079 are basically OVA-length.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The CG for the mecha got worse, or is it just me?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I don't know if macross is your franchise to start if your desire only came after watching Delta.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I think Frontier has Destiny easily beaten in line-ups at this point.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Human-sized units were beating up giant monsters as far back as Alpha 1.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It's a stretch from how sdf was.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It needs a Do You Remember Love remix or some compilation, because the super dull pace is what really kills it for me.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The only thing i heard about robotech wad that awful movie thing a few years ago and rick hunter being hitler?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

Code Geass compilation trilogy and new season just got announced

New season is a few years after zero requiem and lelocuh is the mc

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Raxivace posted:

That actually makes the show sound interesting.

I should add I've never seen AO or the original show though.

The main romance couple who's whole point that they can co-exist is immediately told "No you can't. In fact, your babies will turn to stone for even trying." And there's a literal unkillable villain that chases the cast for most of the series and only a literal retcon universe gun can stop him.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

I watched Big O, it was not exactly what I expected. I was holding off on watching it because I kept hearing it be describe as Batman with a Mecha and that made me lose interest in it if anything. I knew it was suppose to be noirish going in, but there was a ton a ton of silent film influences as well. If anything I would describe it as Giant Robo in a German Expressionist film.

I wanna ask what your reference to Batman is, because when people say "Batman with Mecha," they're usually referring to the Animated series with Bruce Timm back in the 90's.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

G-Reco at least have people that are passionate about it. The most anyone gets out of IBO is "Well, that was a thing I guess. It failed miserly, but not enough that I care."

When more people are excited about Gundam SEED, you are a bad show.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

...There's a eureka 7 movie trilogy? :psyduck:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I actually saw the new Reideen as my first intro in the world of...apparently the Reideen-verse. It was during that period of SEED where everything was half-CG half horrible.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

So, y’all got any particular favourite giant robot fight scenes?

SEED Destiny when Shinn tries to catch beam sabers with his bare hands and then do a shin battle against a Gundam with laser shinns

It worked out really well

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

New Full Metal Panic thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3854361

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It's still one of the few shows that shows an aftermath of a genocidal war, let alone have the ultimate final battle be 2/3rd of the way into the show.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Delta is good if you enjoy trainwrecks that are somehow also boring 90% of the way through

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Who is funding Fafnir???

How is this franchise still going?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I wonder what steps would have to be taken to make HG give up the rights, like if some rich obsessed mecha fan wanted to force their hands by deliberately tanking all their investment portfolios or something

Too much for what it is which is basically a legal cookblock in ip rights and indirectly responsible for banning possibly all future macross in srw as an example.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The original macross also had 99% of mankind wiped out

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Spin-offs not related to the canon of the OG show appear all the time, many times in conjunction with canon.

Guess what other bandai property shows up despite being big huge non-canon in Super Robot the past few games

(Hathaway's flash)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Back arrow being financially failing means it's cheaper to license

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

No, and decades ago they couldn't license macross 7 because they said the music license alone would sink their budget.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Drrocks on multiple pages said voice acting is a waste in super robot wars

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Sdf invented the punch out of desperation because their shoulders lasers werent working

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Gurren Lagann, Eureka Seven, Fullmetal Panic

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Watched giant robo.

It's...fine? Visually it's cool but the story and characters was kinda poor for how much it wants me to care for the ipo side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Theres no osmosis character like rikka like a ganyu from genshin that people just go " oh thats where shes from"