Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I will destroy you with my muscles that could only have been gained by watching years of robot anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I like space colonies and WILL NEVER GORW OUT OF POWER FANTASIES

Sharkopath posted:

I fell out of robots anime because I realized this eventually also.

Originally I was really attached to them because robots are power fantasy. They are power fantasy with a physical and prominent manifestation of that power inherent to the design, like a knight's suit of armor the object by itself is a physical display of power. Unlike knights and other power fantasy where the ability to wield power comes from birth or experience and education, robots are more egalitarian. In theory anybody can operate the machine, its an empty shell that can be filled by your wil. That transferable aspect of power is similar to the attractiveness of power held by a gun. Its a simple tool that can level a complicated playing field. That aspect was really attractive to me as a child and a minority, a double whammy of feeling powerless in a complicated world.

same but w/o minority part because im actually insanely priveleged

also robot anime tends to have interesting settings which is alluring to me because i love escapism

muike fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 27, 2015

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
There's an insane amount of original content being put out like all the time but it's overshadowed by marketing. Also robot anime is really incredible self referential and derivative of earlier works. I think part of this is related to the death of the classic sci-fi anime with super detailed hand drawn spaceships and stuff, but there's definitely an adaptation within the industry that still allows for creative teams to make things that are interesting and engaging without, however, sadly, my preferred kind of stuff

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I would say it's the difference between genre fiction and literary fiction, though that's not to say there aren't outstanding works within genre fiction or that it's wrong to like it, but the distinction is useful and exists for a reason. robot anime is one type of genre fiction, which means that it's more likely than the anime equivalent of literary fiction (the tatami galaxy? idk?? i don't really follow anime much anymore) to simply be a derivative work that isn't interested in being more than what it is. I would say this is shows like Buddy Complex, Argevollen, Vulvashave the Labiarazor, etc

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Sharkopath posted:

Robot Anime feels derivative and referential to the point its incestuous, but I haven't seen tons of it so that's just my two cents.

Yes I'd say this is a major problem with the genre (and not just this genre, anything else that falls into the kind of genre/literary divide that i mentioned before) and it's almost historical. It's strange when even shows that are, nominally, not toy commercials, still find themselves hitting the same pitholes that the Literal Actual Toy Commercials did, and it's because it's what the creators and producers grew up with and it's like a negative feedback loop. A rock being run smooth of all its intricacies and differentiating qualities by a river current.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I still wish the lambda driver had been less prevalent in FMP...

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I really liked Gasaraki

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
How do we get our multimillion murdermachines to the battlefield? strap an f14 to it and load up on amraams and sidewinders

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
look at this noob that doesn't know amuro can make the gundam fly

amuro: it's really more like jumping

me: TOBE GUNDAM

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Season 1 of code geass was great for urban combat. rollerskates, grappling hooks, and robots that were so small you had to put the cockpit on the back

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
imagawa made a titty manga? news to me.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
it's why i like the robots in eureka 7. they are on a fundamental level intended for communication but are perverted to suit the militaristic ends of a world-spanning fascist government that hides The Truth from people. and like most of the robots that exist in that world are for doing sports instead of shooting. oh and up until the last episode where there are some very necessary deaths, the main character robot's mid season upgrade is something that controls the force of love and understanding and turns it into an anti-death ray.

contrast this with holland, who gets a robot upgrade that makes him better at fighting but at the cost of his body holding together

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i'm totally ok with watching bad rear end cool war robots fighting each other even when the message is ultimately about the cost of fighting and why it's bad because robot anime is just one variety of escapism and i have a brain that is good at discerning fantasy from reality. i don't like it when i feel like the creators do not.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
here comes a big block of spoilery text

The Roger Smith we know is actually a clone, if not biologically, in identity, of the original Roger Smith. The original Roger Smith was a pilot for one of the many, many, Bigs in the war that seemingly ended the world, and also helped created Paradigm City with Gordon Rosewater. Our Roger is intended to take the role of Roger Smith, who Gordon sees as an integral facet of Paradigm.

Paradigm City itself is an artificial, though physical environment, in which reality is altered at the whim of Big Venus. Angel is the version of Big Venus that is able to be an actor within the environment of Paradigm and evaluate not only the city, but seemingly Roger as well. Should the people of Paradigm fail to measure up to Venus' standards or if there's some kind of catastrophic damage, Venus resets it or alters it, as implied by the ending of season 2.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
That is my personal theory. There are many many valid interpretations but that is the one I like most. I think it just ended up being so naturally "oh that's it" to me that I felt really satisfied with myself and smug

e: Alternatively, the answer is it's meant to be set to a Queen album

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
No problem, I think it's fair to clarify on something like that. By my tone I made it seem like that was the Official or One True interpretation.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
thank you jesus

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

boom boom boom posted:

Lol at the end of Macross Zero. "Take care of the Mayan people, Shin" *five years later they're all killed by the Zentraedi*

What a lovely, baffling show

Yeah it sucks but the action was pretty good if i remember correctly. also gave us the phrase "turn on a dime macross zero style"

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Does anyone remember that notoriously bad beast machines giraffe transformer toy

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Longrack?

(I don't actually know any transformers stuff outside Thew.)

That's the one. It has tongue licking action. Thew is cool because he puts grindcore in everything

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Darth Walrus posted:

That one's easy - the spec2 has the enormous pauldron-wings.

the easier way to tell is that the spec 1 is really cool and the spec 2 is less cool

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I will admit that them launching the ref board for the spec 2 halfway across the world was really dang cool but I still like the spec 1 more.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Do not test me, Kold.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Those are rockets not hand covers what a lovely artist. loving idiot.

that's incredibly Good

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i was just being an rear end in a top hat but you are correct.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yep, ever since Old Gotho yanked Chirico and Fyana's frozen bodies back into the ship, he's been displayin 'em like icy mannequins. It's strange, perhaps. And say what you will, but I tell you what, but Chirico can pull off just about any style.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The closer to Space Wolverine Jesus that Chirico is presented, the worse the production is

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
macross delta is trash

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

VolticSurge posted:

So,my co-worker just got me into VOTOMS, digging it so far. Are any of the OVAs any good?

On the whole, not really, but just watch the show and go from there.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'm not familiar with those acronyms.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
My favorite tune from M7 is actually the opening

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Logicblade posted:

Dr. Hellck?

Father Rage

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Fuckin love Gasaraki. Aside from the Lambda Driver which works for the setting, Full Metal Panic's Arm Slaves are pretty war-machine. If you like grimdark I suppose you could read the Front Mission manga too.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Gunbuster is extremely flawed but it strives to be the platonic idea of an 80's robot anime OVA and I love it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
What, was kyoani too expensive for the new season?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
the eureka 7 movie was the only time i got angry at a movie or show

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

AradoBalanga posted:

What would the taunt that buffs defense even look like for Big O?

the glint from the chrome buster

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Droyer posted:

Spent the last few days reading Linebarrels of Iron. I like it quite a lot.

i think i'd like it more if the translation didnt suck

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i really like fmp because of the cold war alternate history setting and technological aspect and characters and i love gates ok please stop causing me emotional distress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
sosuke and chidori are the only anime couple i have genuinely cared about being a couple