Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The second movie goes a long way towards improving some of the plot stuff in the latter parts of the tv series that felt half-baked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

muike posted:

macross delta is trash

It makes me dislike Symphogear more by association since it really feels like that's the audience they want.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

There's variety in the music played early on but it's incredibly easy to forget that because Planet Dance is used waaaay more than everything else in those early eps.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I find Basara interesting as a character which is all I really care about. Likability be damned.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gyra_Solune posted:

huh

maybe i should watch netflix voltron.

it's still irascibly weird that this anime that was always meant to be an anime is now pretty much a western property. like they sort of tried in the 90s to make voltron all cool and redesigned (and failed horribly) but now it's just, yeah, that's golion right there

I think it's interesting in that it's still remembered in the west

People know what Voltron is and you can make a few jokes about it that many will understand

Meanwhile, Golion is long forgotten because when it was made, it was yet another of a certain type of show so it didn't have staying power at all

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Daler Mehndi posted:

If it helps, the Crunchyroll version lists "Discotek Media" as the publisher, and free users can watch some episodes until August 11th. However I only watched episode 11 and my memories are too fuzzy to remember if it's the same as the bluray version.

I checked episode 1 and it had the blu-ray differences, since I remember the scene after the introduction being different in the blu-ray.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I really wanted to like Bryger but it would have been a better show without the robot

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Yeah

A lot of the robot fights in the eps I saw felt incredibly superfluous and not as well handled as the on-foot action.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

TheManSeries posted:

Thats what I'll look into then. I saw a bit of that but mostly sealed for hundreds of dollars and thats too much for anime.

There's definitely gonna be a reprint of the series at some point in time. There's so much money lying on that table that I'm positive it's a matter of when, not if.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

The main series is kind of a slog, but the two movies are very good. It's just a pity that neither of them works as a replacement for the TV show. A Contact only covers half the series and makes too many changes to work as a compilation movie, and Be Invoked is essentially a partial replacement for the final episode. If they'd had a third movie to tie them together, that would have been great.

Agreed.

A lot of the later episodes have cool stuff but the gimmick of the week stuff gets tiring fast, especially given how powerful the Ideon is.

Cool: Hostage situations, infiltrating the Ideon to fight the pilots in close combat, the Ideon doing stuff of its own accord, etc

Lame: Pilots or mecha with a gimmick that gets easily wrecked by the Ideon, generic skirmishes without much of interest happening, etc

It's ultimately worth the slog but I really wish the movies could have been a substitute

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

There's a chance of it getting taken down from Dailymotion, I've had that happen to a decent amount of OP vids I put up there. Wouldn't hurt to try but I wouldn't count on a compilation staying up forever.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The non-clipshow portions are entertaining enough despite how sparse it is, I'd love to see more of the Frontier cast accidentally starting an anime club.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I watched a bit of Braiger a few years back and my main takeaway was that it's a neat show that unfortunately gets kinda hamstrung due to requiring the mech in each episode for merch purposes.

I might watch more someday but there's always so much on the ol backlog

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I was definitely down with the vaguely Lupin-ish setup they have going on, though!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I really wanna watch Sasuraiger more than other J9 stuff and I can't wait for the fansubs to finish in the year 2069

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Instead of watching a bad show I suggest, watching a good one

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's good at being a bad show :grin:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Diebusterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

rRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrR

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Artum posted:

Also the gurren Lagann movies blow chunks, so there's that.

Some of the new scenes are cool but I really cannot get down with how they ripped out some important character moments.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

muike posted:

What, was kyoani too expensive for the new season?

They're probably too busy working on stuff that they have more ownership of.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I like it a lot, it's a bummer that Imagawa got the boot after setting up a big cliffhanger, but for the most part I'm pleased with the haphazard way the various staff shuffling around were able to pick up the pieces. The action stays slick as hell throughout.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Raxivace posted:

So is there any word on what happened here with Imagawa? The Wikipedia article is a bit vague.

Nothing definitive has been said but this:

https://twitter.com/MichaelToole/status/431614417378111488

combined with how he takes his time with productions paints a good enough picture, I feel. Especially since the anime doesn't even credit Imagawa as the director of those first three episodes!

Srice fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jan 26, 2017

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

My suggestion is to just hit up more old classics and additionally try checking out some of the non-mecha contemporaries that aired around the same time (Especially in the 80s, there are so many good shows that don't get talked about because most of the discourse online for that era tends to be heavily focused towards mecha and certain movies). It's what I have been doing as of late and it's a refreshing change of pace.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

They are making a Mazinger Z movie but that's less to do with Shin Mazinger and more that the 45th anniversary of Mazinger Z is coming up.

I reckon if Shin Mazinger were more successful we'd have seen more full reboots of Go Nagai properties as a followup instead of getting the occasional short OVA of something Nagai-related every few years

Not that I'm complaining about the OVAs though since heck, Jun Kawagoe is an underrated action director and more often than not that's the only time he's in the director's chair.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Also in thinking about it, at this point I'd be far more interested in getting a non-mecha Go Nagai series adapted. Mazinger frequently gets new entries, yet Devilman never had a proper full adaption and that's a real shame!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

As much as I enjoy Shin Mazinger, if I could make one anime not a flop it'd be pretty far down on my list. I'm happy with what we got.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

They're both bland as f

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Artum posted:

Even more than Argevollen?

Argevollen has a few uncommon elements to it. Buddy Complex just wants to recapture Gundam Seed.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mimir posted:

I loved Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still.

Is Getter Robo: Armageddon worth watching? Should I just watch the Imagawa episodes and stop there?

Watch the whole thing, outside of a little bit of sagging in the middle it's a blast.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Watching just the first three eps would be unsatisfying anyways because while there are cool moments for sure you'd be watching three eps of buildup followed by a cliffhanger.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

There's a lot of non-mecha Ishikawa stuff out there that's not scanned, if I could trade the scans of his mecha stuff for that I'd do it in a heartbeat easily.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Yakuza golf.....

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Admittedly, I'm probably in the minority in that I love all of the Getter Robo OVAs a lot but I'm real cold on the manga.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Getter Robo is a franchise that I feel often has a lot of strong ideas but pretty iffy execution.

Yeah that's pretty much how I feel about it, I find a lot of stuff interesting about the manga but the act of actually reading it frequently felt like a chore to me. Meanwhile all of the OVAs outside of the first 3 eps of Armageddon are directed by Jun Kawagoe, a guy who I feel is a very underrated action director in anime. I wish he'd get work more often!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Fumoffu is better than FMP precisely because of, the lack of robots.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's a pain to find old stuff in general on Crunchy, you basically have to hear about it from other sources if it's a show that's not very popular and predates simulcasts.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dia-guard peaks at episode 3 but heck, you could certainly watch three far worse episodes of things.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nuebot posted:

So, that's how that goes down in Nadesico, huh? Gai's death is just like that? After playing J I'd kind of expected it to be somewhat similar. But no. Just shot to death in episode three what the gently caress.

It's crucial that it happens in such a lame, unimportant way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Prince of Darkness has a few decent scenes with some of the supporting cast. It's not a particularly good movie but I feel like its badness gets played up way too much. Despite the script being fairly bad it's directed well enough that it's a quick watch.