Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Takahashi and anti-war messages are interesting to me, because personally I don't believe the man is a pacifist. Bear with me here.

There's a type of character in Takahashi's work that I call the Doomed Idealist. He sees a world that is fundamentally broken and corrupt, whose continued existence only brings sorrow and misery to his people. The Doomed Idealist is not into it for glory or wealth, but for the salvation of his own, and he chooses war as the means to do so. He is not blind to the costs his chosen method will make his own people pay, but he believes there simply is no other alternative, and rejects the possibility of a peaceful way out. You see this in Dougram when Samalin rebukes Rick: "You are alone!" The path to Deloyeran independence does not end with Very Serious People around a negotiation table, it ends when the rebel forces remove Federation forces from the entire planet and take over the spaceport to block reinforcements. But in spite of Gasaraki's Nishida, I don't think this puts Takahashi with revisionist right-wing shitpiles: even the most righteous of causes for war still means that the innocent and the weak suffer needlessly. Sometimes UNDERSTANDING just isn't going to solve our troubles, sometimes war might be necessary, but it is never glorious or right.

The other half of the equation is that the Idealist is Doomed. Ultimately, his world is even more twisted than he realizes, and he is betrayed or blindsided and his cause left in the dust. Sometimes he sees this coming (OVA Marder) and sometimes the way he is checked is simply unbelievable (TV Marder); Gasaraki is special in that Nishida is defeated because the world is actually better than he thinks it is, and America will take the immediate prestige hit rather than plunge the world into WW3. Ultimately, though, there are forces working beyond the Idealist's control that he cannot hope to counter even with his intelligence and strength of will; foreign interventionism, particularly that led by the United Nations, is something Takahashi seems to outright despise. This is more obvious in Dougram and FLAG, but even in Galient you have the spandex spacemen that would erase the cradle of galactic civilization rather than allow 'corruption' to upset the status quo.

Traveller fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Oshii does seem to prefer the status quo, as inane and dreary and protective of iniquities as it can be, to the uncertainty and chaos of full-blown rebellion. ("I share your disgust for just wars.") In a way it's as if he has given up on the possibility of the Japanese public (and by extension, the world) to effect meaningful change on the system, and therefore looks to technology and transhumanism as the harbingers of change. But then he and other cyberpunk authors run into the great flaw of the genre: we already live in a cyberpunk world to an extent, and we are still dealing with issues we thought settles ten, twenty, fifty years back even though third-world farmers are using smartphones in their daily lives and Anonymous had its heyday. By contrast, Takahashi does not meander on the implications of giant robots all that much - Gasaraki is probably his most technofetishist work and even there the robots are powered, in the end, by funcional magic.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Fukuda is the Michael Bay of anime is what I would say if I were feeling SMG about it

Going back to Takahashi talk: another blow against the attempts at painting him as Yukio Mishima With Robots is how he puts laying the sword down as a great act of maturity. You can give your very best, join forces with your friends and push forward with your cause but sometimes you will lose badly and you must not let defeat define you. The doomed idealists that I mentioned come to that realization, in the end, and Dougram in particular being a bildungsroman means that Crinn can only truly become an adult when he realizes his life is not to be thrown away for selfish pride. Considering that Takahashi is of the post-war Japanese generation, I think that's a powerful message.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

TNG posted:

I really don't think Takahashi's a fascist either. It's just that he has to deal with robots as part of the territory of working in the genre, and that I think his way of dealing with it is very interesting.

You still hear it from some quarters because of his work on Gasaraki and Konpeki no Kantai. From what I understand, the latter is more "what if we had been the good guys we claimed to be instead of what we actually were?" but I haven't watched it myself.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

The only physical change that really feels planned is Crinn getting a proper Deloyeran tan after he's been in country for some weeks.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Ever so slowly, Macross II makes its way back to canon.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

The first episode sort of doesn't really happen. It has no actual place where it can happen in the timeline. Just think of it as a pilot episode, and treat the story as going from 2 to 75.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

What did you make of the ending?

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

FLAG is cool and good, and short. Watch it.

In Vifam news:

LAS NALGAS :butt:

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Kanos posted:

In the current time period in the setting, Clan Wolf actually won the ball game and took Terra.

And to general hilarity, they're finding out that taking a planet and yelling "our rules say we're now the eternal masters of the universe, now bow before us" doesn't mean anybody has to, you know, listen. ilClan is fun times.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Does Battletech count?

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Aerial slaps

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

From ancient interviews translated in /m/ some fifteen years ago (:negative:) I think I remember that there wasn't like a big picture plan for Dougram, they worked on the plot episode by episode. So you had the mandated endpoint with Dougram destroyed in the wasteland, but after that it was whatever Takahashi and company had cooked up for that week's episode.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

I managed to find the relevant posts. They were from 2011, so not 15 years ago...

quote:

A few interesting details from the staff commentary which was included in the DVD box:

- The first episode isn't actually the first one, but Takahashi and Hoshiyama wanted to introduce Dougram, so Takahashi ended up in writing script & storyboard, because they didn't have a scenario prepared and the producer (Iwazaki) didn't know of their plans and was kind of surprised.
- The idea of a destructed Dougram at the end of ep. 1 is derived from the childhood of Takahashi and other people in the staff, who grew up during and after WW2 and often saw scrapped military vehicles standing around in town.
- Takahashi was assembling plamodels, and the producers of modelkits told him that they'd be happy if there was another anime with robots coming up (so they could sell their kits).
- When some of the staff members were around 20, it was the late 60s and the time of the student revolts is Japan. During this time, Takahashi thought that it wouldn't be so bad if someone like Destin would appear. Watch the last episode and you know how he meant that.
- Takahashi was a big fan of Takeshi Kaikō (wiki if you don't know), so the style of narration in Dougram is influenced by his works.

quote:

Second part of the staff commentaries:
- A schedule for Dougram didn't exist - it was more like "Uh, one more episode with this and that" as the series moved on. That's different nowadays. Takahashi: "It was a nice time back then". (implying better than today, I presume)
- Norio Shioyama (character design) had trouble drawing Lecoque, so this was done mostly by Moriyasu Taniguchi.
- Takahashi thinks of Destin as a weird and broken character, which is very unique and doesn't appear often, even nowadays.
- It would have been no problem if Dougram got another extension, the staff had fun during the production.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Arc Hammer posted:

I can't speak for Fang of the Sun Dougram but it's apparently also a good watch.

Dougram is definitely more Battletech than Armored Core, and not just because all but four of its mecha designs ended up as BattleMechs - chunky ground pounders shooting and punching the crap out of each other. It's also very long at 75 episodes, but it's a fun ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Jank as the animation could be, there was a classic war movie sensibility to Dougram's combat scenes that I really liked. There's a lot of episodes that boil down to "the gang advances a little and Crinn blows up three Soltics and a couple of Dueys", but even then there's some oldschool action with the Fang of the Sun fighting off Federation platoons, disarming mines, crossing bridges under fire and so on. It helped set up some stuff that you don't get to see normally like the good guys simply failing at a job without it being the end of the world, or that bleak episode where they're meticulously planning an assault on a Feddie base only to find out that they seriously outgun its weak garrison and kill them all without any real opposition.