Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Still bitter about that from federation vs zeon, okay the ground wars over time to never use a ground combat gundam again, hope you like GMs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
loving sweet! Completely by coincidence last night I was looking into fmp! since I'd been watching clips and was starting to feel sore about it not getting finished, caught the announcement that there was a talk going on but had to go to bed before anything materialised.

I gave up and read sigma to see the ending a couple of years back, but this is the best news.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

LORD OF BUTT posted:

- how the gently caress is Lion still stuck in my head nearly a decade later

Because Lion is pretty much the apex of that type of j-pop.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Wasn't really feeling that until that last song and holy crap that was cool.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Lanz posted:

I need more information about this show now I think :ohdear:

People wielding giant robot limbs as weapons that give them superpowers.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Kanos posted:

It is GR-esque in that the show is pushing some very charismatic and characterful antagonists with unique powers, at least.

Reoko's conduct in that last fight honestly has me rooting for her.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I wouldn't go as far as rooting for her, but the fact that she clearly hates buranki with a murderous passion has done a lot to humanise her and make me interested in her character.

This is the first show I've seen where the VAs get to actually make anguished cries of rage and sound like they're trying to murder someone. :v:

Say what you will of her ruthless persecution of anyone who could theoretically oppose her, anyone who stands alone defending the world against destruction by headbutting the enemy to death is okay by me.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

boom boom boom posted:

Guys, Toonami is co-producing new seasons of FLCL. we all have to support it. I don't care what your opinion of the new FLCL is, because if it's successful, Toonami might make more sequels to classic old Toonami animes.

This is the best shot we have at getting a Frozen Teardrop anime.

Big O season 3.

Dare I dream?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
gently caress man FMP! got picked up 11 years later, I really don't want to get my hopes up but its definitely there now.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

dogsicle posted:

this is a terrible idea and shouldn't happen

it's okay for shows to end.

No doubt. Doesn't stop me being curious since it wasn't originally going to end where it did.

badpostingedit: like if i recall it wasn't even a shin great mazinger thing where it was never going to happen imagawa just does that, big O season 3 didn't happen because the show wasn't popular.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

TheManSeries posted:

Man, I'm not a muvluv fan by any means, but I saw a clip from Schwarezmarken where someone got wrecked with what was essentially a riotshield with claymores on the front of it and I wish those would show up elsewhere.

The dude killed someone by shield slamming them with a mech scale shield covered in cold war era reactive armor.

It was rad as gently caress.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
That's the one where they had a car that basically mass shifts and transforms with an infinite improbability drive no?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
So doing some reading because of that PV I'm not really sure how I feel about a take on mazinger that turns it into a metaphysical thing like Getter, but at the same time Mazinger Zero does look really drat cool there.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Cool I saw a bunch of gifs of that a while ago, it's pretty neat seeing an action game with the sort of sprite work you see in modern SRW games going on.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Also the gurren Lagann movies blow chunks, so there's that.

If you're willing to widen the net slightly what with shows being kinda thin on the ground I'd recommend Zegapain, the emotional kick is fairly potent in that one. It's also a good indictment of singularity digitising humanity fantasies.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

GorfZaplen posted:

I liked Star Driver

Star driver is indeed great and should be watched by most.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

StrixNebulosa posted:

Why? My backlog is 2554543 shows long, what about Star Driver is good enough to bring it up the list?

Tauburn has a giant robot domino mask and a tricorn hat with an energy feather. It's the single dandiest robot ever to exist and the cast are a lot of fun.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

quote:

The taglines for the manga read, "The legendary 'transforming robot' and 'mahjong' combine!!" and "Getter Rays!? Atlantis!? Tile Beasts!? All the mysteries will be explained with 'mahjong'!!!!!!!"

The absolute gently caress?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
V is gonna be my first SRW so here's hoping it doesn't suck poo poo.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Pureauthor posted:

So, uh.

Remember Eureka 7 AO?

It's getting a new final episode. For a pachislot promotion.

http://www.sammy.co.jp/japanese/product/pachislot/2016/eurekaao/episode/

gently caress that show.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Raxivace posted:

I've been watching and enjoying Getter Robo Armageddon as I play catch up for SRWV.

It's pretty fun. It feels like a really loose adaptation of the Go manga so far, though Go himself seems to be completely different characters between both stories.

Its weird how they kind of split GO between armageddon and neo getter with neo getting the bulk of the cast, the non-getter-ray getter and the plot(ish) while armageddon got the tone and setting.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

ActionZero posted:

I enjoyed Buddy Complex while I was watching it but the best thing I can say about it is that it was competant, some of the BGM was decent and the main villain was hilarious. It's probably the most generic real robot series in a long while.

Even more than Argevollen?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Darth Walrus posted:

Well, ID-0 is already vastly more interesting than Active Raid. Taniguchi's making a relatively smooth directorial transition to full 3D, too - there's some janky shots, but it could honestly be a whole lot worse.

I'd heard it described as cute girls doing cute things but mecha and wasn't hugely enthused, is this accurate?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Darth Walrus posted:

Not remotely. It's a show about transhumanism, high-risk space mining, and corporate skulduggery (and first contact). Been pretty fun so far.

Oh good.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Tae posted:

I wanna ask what your reference to Batman is, because when people say "Batman with Mecha," they're usually referring to the Animated series with Bruce Timm back in the 90's.

Big O is TAS batman except hes a giant robot pilot instead of batman.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
The Ka-SHING it makes as he takes a swing is enormously satisfying.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
He'd play something like Q With very straightforward and meaty attacks with a poo poo ton of armor.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

AradoBalanga posted:

What would the taunt that buffs defense even look like for Big O?

The pose from the start of the final beck fight and others of course.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Mimir posted:

I loved Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still.

Is Getter Robo: Armageddon worth watching? Should I just watch the Imagawa episodes and stop there?

No armageddons still pretty drat good.

Imagawa's an amazing director but watch a lot of his stuff and you really start to notice the common elements, misunderstood scientist fathers who aren't actually the bad guy etc.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

GorfZaplen posted:

Ishikawa was pretty bad at ending manga, even his one shots tend to end in a To Be Continued...

E: bad at reading, ishikawa not imagawa

Hes bad at endings generally, the only thing that comes to mind with a truely satisfying conclusion was G gundam.

Tetsujin came close but really needed just ANYTHING of japan after all the horrors of the war had been laid to rest.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Wasn't the problem with Ishikawa and endings that Getter mostly it did just end with "to be continued" because it generally did until he suddenly died young?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Guy Goodbody posted:

One of the unique about Dai Guard is how they change the robot. As soon as they discover the hetero's weak point, the Dai-Guard becomes entirely about that. Usually in mecha shows the main robot gets more abilities over time, I think Dai-Guard is the only one where the robot becomes more specialized.

It does get more abilities over time they're just a lot more low key than your average mecha, what with one of the important later upgrades being making it able to assemble itself rather than them having to wheel in a gantry and hoist all the bits up with cranes.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Blaze Dragon posted:

You're happier that way, believe me. No one deserves to watch Prince of Darkness.

If I was able to remove two mecha series from history, they'd be Prince of Darkness and Eureka Seven AO.

AO gets to kept to live in shame because of that first fight with the Mark I and how the music was excellent.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

EthanSteele posted:

Space is actually probably the best place for humanoid vehicles if the four limbs are used to move thrusters for fine positioning. Obviously they don't need to be giant and it would still be hugely impractical, but space would be where they work the best.

Or you know, using your limbs to orient yourself in a way that doesnt expend propellant as is the premise for mobile suits.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
:psyduck:

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Erg posted:

hello my new favorite mecha anime is star driver who else likes star driver

Watch the intro of the movie and only the intro once you finish the show, the movies a compilation but the openings set after the series.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Raxivace posted:

If I kind of liked Captain Earth enough to watch the whole thing would I likely enjoy Star Driver?

Captain earth was basically all of star drivers faults dialed up to 11 so probably? Like its actually a good show unlike the disappointing mess that was captain earth.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
They do a decent job of characterising the bad guys in star driver and you end up liking them instead of captain earths strategy of introducing a character and having nothing in their introduction ever really amount to anything.

God it loving annoyed me how they never went anywhere with the boxer despite giving him way more time.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Erg posted:

star driver is about good horny teens and from what it sounds like captain earth is only the horny teens part???

Star driver always kind of had the problem that takuto could never actually fail in any episode because the moment he does the badguys INSTANTLY win and the shows over really.

Captain earth attempted to address the invincible protagonist problem but the setup still meant that if he ever loses the world instantly ends so nobody could ever fail, so instead the vast majority of the time they get saved by stupid contrivance and you get none of the fun of takuto pulling a bullshit win out of his rear end every time.

It culminates in possibly the most infuriating bit of the series when non-spoilers daichi fights the badguy and the shows first OP kicks in and he wins a really desperate fight with earth engine getting loving wrecked as the fight goes on.

Except that carries literally no weight because earth engine got wrecked in literally every other fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Caphi posted:

Star Driver always had the feeling of being as much about the other kids as Takuto, even outside of the other two "main" characters. It's by the Utena director so that's probably why.

Somehow Adult Bank still seemed like it got more than the other wings. Kanako, sword guy, and sword guy's girlfriend got multiple spotlights as the show went on.

Star drivers so loving good.

All of you who haven't seen it should watch star driver immediately.