Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Hbomberguy posted:

Nono's entire personality is based on half-remembered memories of a girl whose name was spoken in hushed tones around the time she was born. It's about how people relate to an idea. So it's about Noriko in the sense that most art in the Christian tradition is about Jesus and the ideals they represent.

Otaku No Video is certainly my go-to example for their autocriticism, but Gunbuster manages it too with its very specific approach to nudity. Characters consistently are just sort of naked and it's not a thing anyone points out, reacts to or notices. IIRC no-one is embarrassed by their body ever. This forces the viewer to question the reaction they are having to the content. It reflects a world where people's views regarding each other's bodies and their own have developed beyond ours in a fundamentally positive way. You see similar approaches in early paintings and sculptures - they indicate a society which had better ways of looking at certain things.

There is a certain nobility and civilised-ness to human cultures that can be naked around each other like it ain't no thing. There's a reason the most advanced cool future-people are called the topless. It almost implies that once we can get over ourselves and embrace whatever we really are, we spontaneously gain superpowers.

You can dismiss the robots as just giant robots the creators liked, but that fails to deal with why people like giant robots, and why people decided to create art with giant constructions of humanoids in them. Viewing mecha as 'just cool' or 'just robots' is a failure to account for their actual existence in art imo.

Nudity in art is not evocative of civilization, but of nature. Nudity is either representative of a mythical golden age of complete unity with nature (i.e. the Garden of Eden, popular conceptions of "uncivilized" native peoples) or complete debasement of morality (Weimar German and Taisho Japanese art). If anything, the topless are throwbacks to a time before organized states juxtaposed with the ultimate symbol of civilization, technology

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Is Raideen fully subbed yet or has no one picked it up after the guy quit because he hated Tomino

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Srice posted:

I vaguely recall hearing about it and I haven't seen the series since I definitely don't want to pick up something that has stalled for so long, but what I heard was something like the protagonist was (temporarily) rendered blind and didn't tell anyone so dumb decisions were made?

But it also sounds like it resolves itself at the end of the episode so I have no idea why a single episode could cause 4 years of burnout.

It's even more hosed up because the director changed from Tomino to the Rose of Versailles guy in the next episode. The plots would be different

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 22, 2015

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Are the KIKU UHF subs of Raideen available online?