Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Srice posted:

Let's get this thread off to a positive start, so I welcome everyone to tell me what things I missed and why they should be watched (I am ignoring how this is my own personal recommendation list here :v:).

Gundam 0080, man! The best Gundam series, it's got great characters, great drama, great robots, and the best presentation of an anti-war message in all mecha anime.

And it's only 6 episodes long. It's the perfect series for someone who wants to watch a mecha anime, a gundam anime, a anime, or a movie of any kind!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

drrockso20 posted:

I'd suggest adding Mazinkaiser to the OP as it's fantastic and pretty short(the OVA that is, the movie is pretty abysmal), same with Mazinkaiser SKL

From what I remember of Mazinkaiser SKL, it's only a really good introductory mecha anime if the person being introduced is a 14 year old boy. Wan't it just a lot of robot fight scenes with guns that are axes and then a volcano explodes?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

K. Flaps posted:

Code Geass.

Where are you going with this?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Hbomberguy posted:

Otaku No Video is certainly my go-to example for their autocriticism, but Gunbuster manages it too with its very specific approach to nudity. Characters consistently are just sort of naked and it's not a thing anyone points out, reacts to or notices. IIRC no-one is embarrassed by their body ever. This forces the viewer to question the reaction they are having to the content. It reflects a world where people's views regarding each other's bodies and their own have developed beyond ours in a fundamentally positive way. You see similar approaches in early paintings and sculptures - they indicate a society which had better ways of looking at certain things.

I dunno dude, I think maybe they just liked tits

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I bet one of the reasons for the nudity in Gunbuster is to make the viewer used to tits in the show, so when Noriko tears her shirt at the end you can focus on how badass that is, instead of just going, "ooh, boob!"

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
So what's the deal on Macross 2? Is it really that bad?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
But it stars Bryan Cranston

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Srice posted:

No that's Plus.

The klisting for the DVD on Amazon says he's in Maross 2 too.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
gently caress Harmony Gold so much

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I've never really thought about why robots are cool before. I think maybe it's because it's like a superpower but not. Like, it's a military machine, not different from a tank or a jeep, but suddenly the character is fifty feet tall and can smash buildings But at the same time they aren't super heroes? so basically, it makes the character capable of incredible feats and a powerful, imposing presence, but without being silly? As ridiculous as it sounds to call giant robots not silly. Amuro can single handedly save the White Base and all the people on it, but at the same time remain the dumb weak kid.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Srice posted:

Also I am only human, and will admit that while seeing people driven mad when 2 Gundams were airing at the same time was kinda amusing, it did in some ways break my spirit.

I still enjoy a lot of the genre tho.

I emerged from that fire loving robot anime even more

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Reds posted:

You know what's nigh-impossible to find? A mecha show where the mecha don't fly or get a flight upgrade halfway through.

For a genre built around big stompy metal men hardly any mecha actually use their legs.

I can't name ten shows that do it. The few that do it are great though.

Gundam 0080
Gundam 08th MS Team
VOTOMS
Mellowlink
Turn A Gundam (right? I think the Turn A technically could fly with it's radiator legs, but almost never did)
Mobile Suit Gundam movie trilogy
Flag
Blue Gender
Dougram

uhhhh does it count if only one robot can fly and that's a specific power it has to differentiate it from the other robots? In that case, Gundam X

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Gyra_Solune posted:

Argevollen, The Big O, M3, Nobunaga the Fool (iirc), Basquash, Gad Guard, Dai-Guard, Xabungle if you don't count some of the component vehicles being able to fly, Zoids if you don't count the obvious bird/pterodactyls, and Evangelion if you don't count Rebuild.

There's also bunches of OVAs but it's cheating since the ones I think of are a single episode lol.

Dai Guard got a upgrade towards the end that let it turn into three Getter style planes

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Reds posted:

That's not really flight though since they aren't in humanoid form.

Otherwise you'd have to disqualify stuff like FMP for having flight packs for travel.

in that case what about transforming stuff like Macross or Zeta Gundam?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Srice posted:

I'd really like to see a show that brings on talent that haven't been involved in mecha shows, it would be neat to see what happens.

Iron Blooded Orphans starts in like, a week.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Also, Gundam Origin and 0083. no flight or mid season flight upgrades.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Reds posted:

I tend to not include Gundam in the "no flight" category because they take place primarily in space which is effectively similar. Space is really boring for combat for the same reason as flight: there's no environmental interaction beyond a few random asteroids. When you're on the ground you have the restriction of what-goes-up-must-come-down and have to take the environment into account.

Man you should read Gundam Thunderbolt. It's about robot combat in the remains of a wrecked space colony, and they interact the poo poo out of their environment

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Gyra_Solune posted:

would I be remiss in assuming G-Reco was pretty much Overman King Gundam in terms of what to expect from Gainer

nope, that's pretty much right. Tone wise, at least. OKG only really throws you into the deep end at the beginning tho, after the first couple episodes you don't have to be constantly paying attenntion to catch exposition and stuff like you do for G-Reco.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I'm pretty ok with it.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Srice posted:

Far as stuff from the last few years go, I enjoyed Majestic Prince, Liked Gundam Build Fighters, and loved Reconguista in G.

Captain Earth and Nobunaga the Fool were alright, they had plenty of issues but I managed to see both through to the end.

Aquarion Logos is currently airing and it starts out rough but it gradually improved and now I'm genuinely looking forward to new episodes.

Oh yeah, Reconguista in G was really really good.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
When i saw, months ago, that Goodsmile was selling a four-pack of four identical robots, I was like, what's the deal, why would anybody buy that?

The 24th Battalion owns. How did it take the Federation 54 goddamn episodes t think, "hey, what if we sent good pilots to fight the Dougram?"

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

StrixNebulosa posted:

I didn't know which show those robots were from, so I googled the 24th Battalion and found a show called "Special Armored Battalion Dorvack." While I now realize that of course, duh, they're from the Dougram show - now I'm curious. Has anyone heard about this Dorvack show? Google isn't turning up much outside of a short wikipedia article and the requisite ANN article.

It's got a good OP and some cool robots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gRtEfsEIiE

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Is the Dougram movie just a compilation?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

GorfZaplen posted:

Yes, and not a particularly good one at that. Choro-Q, on the other hand, is mandatory viewing once you finish the series.

There is a ton of stuff that could be cut, especially in the first half, but still. I can't even imagine how they'd get it all down to movie length.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The Ironfoot is my favorite robot

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
All J. Locke does is stand up in open-topped trucks and look inspiring

also, the Deloyer flag looks really stupid

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Terrible flag

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
After 50+ episodes, I'd gotten used to the robots in Dougram being able to jump five time their height from standing still. But I was still surprised when they were able to do it from standing still up to their waist in the ocean.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I'm happy that the Dougram finally got to wear one of the helicopter hats

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
They didn't even spell the name of the planet right

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

GorfZaplen posted:

The second best headline in the entire show.

What's the first?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Dougram is not a good looking show

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

GorfZaplen posted:

There's an episode early on where Crinn is looking extremely buff at first and later, after suffering a defeat, looks weak and childish, and I thought it was a really cool directorial choice until I realized no, it's just early 80s animation.

The same thing happened to me! After the first time Heckle demonstrated value I thought they started drawing him more muscular, but nope, he was just off-model for that scene.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
2 episodes into Macross Zero, and I think I hate it.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Gyra_Solune posted:

macross zero was distinctly 'it's alright' for me, what exactly is it that incited you to hate it

"Giraffes don't have long necks because they evolved to eat leaves on tall trees, they have long necks because they got infected with a virus that made their necks long"

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
OK, the diving scene in episode 3 is pretty great.

maybe because they actually bothered traditionally animating the animals

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Oh what the hell. Mao asks Shin if he likes Sara, and Shin gets all embarrassed and flustered. That's bullshit, there's been zero build-up to that. He saw her naked once, and all of a sudden he's in love?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
What the hell, why do they anti-UN forces want the alien skeleton thing? I thought they just didn't want to be part of a one world government, why do they care about the stupid evolution theory?