Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

This thread has the of approval.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

everythingWasBees posted:

Where's the over the top Super Robots? Diebuster excluded, of course.

The problem with those is that they're almost always long, old, or part of a larger franchise, so they're difficult to recommend for beginners.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

I enjoy robot anime. Also while it is a very tired joke I like big bots.

Can you lie though?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Broken Loose posted:

Gunbuster's only 6 episodes long, and I'm pretty sure everybody and their mother watched Gurren Lagann.

Gunbuster's already there though, so I don't see your point.

Edit: And it's specified in the op the recommendations should be 12 episodes or less, which TTGL isn't

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

If we're talking about short robot anime, I have to recommend New Getter Robo and Shin Mazinger Z. Both are really good adaptations of the classics of mecha anime (Getter Robo and Mazinger, obviously), only 13 and 26 episodes respectively, and absolutely worth the watch. Even moreso as beginnings to their franchises in general, as I have to recommend every time I can the Getter Robo manga. It's long, and it has no ending, but it is wonderful all the way and no adaptation ever really got to the level of epic the manga has.

Can someone just invent necromancy and bring Ken Ishikawa back already, please?

The getter manga is fantastic and the fact that we're never getting an ending is a huge shame.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Zereth posted:

Giant Robo: Day The Earth Stood Still.

Also already in the OP

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Allarion posted:

That said, I still need to watch Patlabor. I always put it on my watchlist before forgetting about it, and then remembering that I wanted to watch giant robot cops. Also Paranoia Agent since that's the only Satoshi Kon thing I haven't seen.

Well, as you may or may not know, I'm planning a Patlabor simulwatch, so you could hold off until then.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

From what I remember of Mazinkaiser SKL, it's only a really good introductory mecha anime if the person being introduced is a 14 year old boy. Wan't it just a lot of robot fight scenes with guns that are axes and then a volcano explodes?

Yeah pretty much. It's great mindless fun, but that's all it is.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

tsob posted:

Which Patlabor? OVAs, movies or tv? Most people seem to prefer the OVAs, but personally I found the tv series to be by far the most entertaining and engaging entry. The Early Days OVAs nearly put me off the franchise because I found it so dull, but it's probably that you're considering doing.

I want to do all of it, but I was planning on doing early days + the movies first, and then continue on to the tv + second ova series.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Gunbuster is absolutely a fantastic show, but I have really mixed feelings about Diebuster. It just wasn't as good a show.

I disagree. Despite their many obvious similarities, I think Gunbuster and Diebuster are different enough both stylistically and thematically to be difficult to compare, which I think is to Diebuster's credit. If Diebuster had simply been a retread of Gunbuster it would have been a clearly inferior product, but it is instead an intentionally different product, and is great by its own right.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Hbomberguy posted:

It works as a successor using the original as a jumping-off point but not as the sort of 'here is more Gunbuster' you could be lead to expect. I can imagine being disappointed if I wanted More Gunbuster.

Diebuster, thematically, has two 'twists'. The first is that it's a sequel, and yet no-one from the original turns up, it's way in the future and a totally different setting and tone. The second is that it really is a sequel. It just took the ideas of the original and extrapolated them outwards so far you don't see the connection until it's too late: Instead of people being people and robots being an externalisation of humanity's development, humanity and machines are themselves a singular species - characters can become ideas, rather than simply invent and wield them. It takes the necessary step from 'ideas can make humans great' to 'humans are themselves comprised of ideas'. It's no surprise that the same studio made gurren lagann, a show where the robots are literally powered by believing in something, and renege on all forms of internal logic.

Gunbuster is principally about a character who, simultaneously, never appears, is omnipresent, is dead, lives on in the form of the world built in their name, represents the greatest mankind has to offer, and was a relatively ordinary awkward teenager. And also isn't dead. It's a dense as gently caress show. Like, New Testament style. It is love.

I'd say that Diebuster is far more about Nono than Noriko. Noriko's actions inspired Nono's, but they did not define them.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

I definitely agree with you when you say they are both very different shows, and I agree that it's too Diebuster's credit that it is different.
It's just, even when based fully on it's own merits, I still don't think Diebuster was that good a show.

I really liked it, but to each his own.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Also Hbomberguy, If you really liked TTGL that much I think you should definitely check out the getter robo manga. The director of TTGL said that getter robo was the biggest influence on the project, and if you have experience with both you can really tell.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Hbomberguy posted:

Nono's entire personality is based on half-remembered memories of a girl whose name was spoken in hushed tones around the time she was born. It's about how people relate to an idea. So it's about Noriko in the sense that most art in the Christian tradition is about Jesus and the ideals they represent.

This isn't true though. That's a part of her personality yes, but she is also defined by her relationship to L'alc and her conflicting desires to be a hero and a normal girl.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

That's explicitly not true, though. There's a seen when Noriko, Kazumi, and Jung are bathing, when some passing soldiers peek in on them through the window from their RX robots.

I really find it hard to believe that there is anything to the nudity aside from the people at Gainax liking tits.

Well, there is also that tits would sell.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

wielder posted:

I am not dismissing that as a valid approach to the analysis of mecha. In fact, it's certainly intellectually stimulating to ask that question and propose a series of possible answers for why giant robots are so appealing to a number of people from around the world. That's a fair subject of study and I admire those who can come up with nuanced theories. From my point of view, however, most mecha creators might not have been truly aware of all the implications and wrinkles that such an analysis will ultimately provide.

To further add to this, it is possible to enjoy things on multiple levels. I enjoy robots as, among other things, representations of human potential, as metaphors for nuclear bombs, as representations of their pilots (depending on the work in question of course). However I also like it when giant robots punch each other and metal goes flying and buildings are destroyed because it's loving awesome and cool and YEAH!!! To say that one of these levels is "why robots exist in art" is the same as saying one of them is more valid than the others, which strikes me as snobbish.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

I'm gonna rewatch Imagawa's Tetsujin-28 once I catch up with all the simulwatches.

I still haven't seen that. I should

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Does the Getter Robo manga ever pick up? I read both the original and G, and neither one seemed particularly compelling to me, and even a little wordy at times.

Yeah, go is where it really takes off. If you really disliked both the original and G though I can't recommend the later ones in good conscience.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Whoa, that spread is loving awesome.

Getter Robo is good. It's also interesting from a historical perspective of mecha, as the titular Getter Robo is both the first transforming and combining robot.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Hbomberguy posted:

This conflict is pretty much the heart of the story. It takes Noriko to be a heroic figure, but then asks 'what about her actually made her heroic?' The story is 'about Noriko' because it's exploring what it means to become like her, or at least the distorted ideal she has come to represent.

The answer, paradoxically, is to be as inhuman as possible.

You're still ignoring Nono's relationship with Lal'c. And how is Nono "as inhuman as possible"? You have a bad habit of making statements and then not backing them up in any way.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

TARDISman posted:

This sells me even more on reading Getter Robo Go.

It's very good. In fairness though, that's not what he actually says. Also you should read the original and G first.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Not Dave posted:

Most of these are ones I know of and have seen, or know about and just forget about constantly (Gravion, Godannar, Gun x Sword). Same with Fafner and Rinne no Lagrange (which I keep reading as Kurogane no Linebarrels). I feel like that basically confirms my feeling that I haven't been missing much. I guess none of the shows that have been out in the last recent years have much merit to them? I keep trying to think of more recent shows and I'll think "Star Driver" and "Heroman" realize that was 5 years ago.

Also, since I brought up Linebarrels, is the manga of that of any note? I don't know a whole lot about mecha manga beside Five Star Stories and Getter Robo, but don't know if there is much of it out there beside Gundam sidestories and Shin Mazinger Zero, which is certainly something.

This is basically exactly like how I felt. I watched it, Evangelion, and Brain Powered at the same time and I felt like there were times where I thought RahXephon was going to sweep the other two away and just came out of it being mad as hell. I feel less strongly negative about it now, but still find it frustrating.

There isn't a lot of mecha manga, but it's worth noting that the Mazinger trilogy were originally manga, although translation has stalled on Great. The Knights of Sidonia manga also recently finished, but I haven't read it myself so I can't guarantee its quality.

Also, it's in the OP but Giant Robo is an amazing 90s mecha OVA that all robot enthusiasts should watch.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Isn't buddy complex the one that was literally written by committee?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Srice posted:

Yah they had "Buddy Complex Project" listed as the writer.

This will never not be funny to me.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Srice posted:

That's usually listed as the creator of the show in question.

Yeah i knew the Hajime Yatate thing but i've never seen writing credited to it.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Raxivace posted:

I finally got around to finishing The Big O for the first time. Man, this show is seriously cool and good. I absolutely loved the film noir style, which even went as far back to referencing noir's ancestors with films like Metropolis.

That ending was sure something. I take it that Roger's past really is unknowable? And Paradigm City was ultimately stuck in some kind of loop controlled by Big Venus?

There's no right answer as far as I know. I had fun thinking up my own theory, I suggest you do the same!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

muike posted:

here comes a big block of spoilery text

The Roger Smith we know is actually a clone, if not biologically, in identity, of the original Roger Smith. The original Roger Smith was a pilot for one of the many, many, Bigs in the war that seemingly ended the world, and also helped created Paradigm City with Gordon Rosewater. Our Roger is intended to take the role of Roger Smith, who Gordon sees as an integral facet of Paradigm.

Paradigm City itself is an artificial, though physical environment, in which reality is altered at the whim of Big Venus. Angel is the version of Big Venus that is able to be an actor within the environment of Paradigm and evaluate not only the city, but seemingly Roger as well. Should the people of Paradigm fail to measure up to Venus' standards or if there's some kind of catastrophic damage, Venus resets it or alters it, as implied by the ending of season 2.

You have a source on this, or is it your personal theory?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

muike posted:

That is my personal theory. There are many many valid interpretations but that is the one I like most. I think it just ended up being so naturally "oh that's it" to me that I felt really satisfied with myself and smug

e: Alternatively, the answer is it's meant to be set to a Queen album

Sorry i wasn't trying to criticize you. I just wondered if there had ever been any official word on the ending.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Hbomberguy posted:

I'm partway through Big O 2, and the second season really does have a very different tone and direction.

Like the first season's little bubble-world is meant to be unquestioned, like it's just a stage for the story to play out on. In a play you don't question why the stage exists.

Season 2 begins with Roger not only offstage, but on a different one where he's a homeless crazy person. It goes on from there and adds so much more to the texture of the first season that I might have to watch the whole thing again when I'm done. It's rad. So rad.

Big O is very good.

Also Hbomberguy, i feel like i have to apologize to you. Something about your earlier posting rubbed me the wrong way and i may not have been entirely fair. I'm sorry.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Srice posted:

I'm glad of it, and of the fact they even managed to fit character and plot stuff into a silly episode too.

I've only seen the first series, but the serious plot was definitely the worst part of it.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

TNG posted:

Never seen the show directly, but its OP is the most 80s Real Robot thing I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gRtEfsEIiE

I'm glad you specified real robot, otherwise I'd have to post the second Dancouga op.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

"Sorry, we couldn't show up in the G1 cartoon because we're too busy starring in a super-obscure real robot anime."

That is delightful. How/why the makers of Transformers got the idea to take other designs and tweak them into their own I will never know, but will always appreciate for the clusterfuck that is Skyfire/Jetfire's legal rights.

They didn't really "get the idea", that idea is why transformers exists in the first place.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Dirty Deeds Done posted:

Hoolllllyyyyy shiiiiiiittttt FMP! Season 4 is acutally happening

I am very excited for animated Laevatein!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

article: http://yaraon-blog.com/archives/72006

WHAT THE gently caress IS EVEN HAPPENING ANYMORE. THAT CONCEPT ART. ARGH

What's so bad about it?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

NotALizardman posted:

Lot of exciting robot news, as of late!

I am very happy rn

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

I saw New and read the manga. Manga was a nice, short read, but I didn't like New Getter Robo that much.

I guess I'll try Neo vs Shin next.

The manga is the best version of getter by far imo. Even with the non-ending

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Parallax posted:

I watched Macross Plus and it was super cool. Are there any other super short OVAs with mechs? (Aside from Giant Robo and Gundams)

Gunbuster + Diebuster

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Parallax posted:

also except that

I haven't seen it myself, but Dangaioh

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

muike posted:

the easier way to tell is that the spec 1 is really cool and the spec 2 is less cool

Counterpoint: Spec 2 turns into a car and a jet. Spec 1 just turns into a car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

What are they hoping to accomplish?

Save the future of Zeon, obviously