Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

those are works that are also going to skew older than age 9 i imagine. mecha has become so entwined with war is hell that it's probably pretty hard to effectively market to 6 year olds, and is instead a teenager/adult genre effectively

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i'm kinda shocked i haven't heard of a medabots revival at some point tbh

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

do power rangers not still have the megazord

wait are power rangers still a big deal

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i just found out that the cool medabots rpg game i had on gba in middle school is part of a 9 entry series that we just never got in the us

i'm a little upset the ds games never came over tbh (unless they sucked)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

...was the original any good?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

a mech anime with no good fights ... and shockingly weak music

:confused:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

86 is one of my favorite animes but i'm not sure i would recommend it on the strength of the mechs alone

Gripweed posted:

I was going to say he must've given up on the show before he saw the second ed. Which is the best Gundam ED and is at least in the competition for best Gundam song. But then I remembered, the basic fight BGM from the very first episode loving rocks. Genuine insanity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we1q-unjRq0

i really like the live orchestra video they have for this song + the asticassia school song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZwdv8Vq0BQ

but yeah in general i'd say wfm has a stronger ost than most gundam shows do, and gundam is almost always pretty good for music

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

controversial take: if you take out moon the rest of the turn a soundtrack is about average quality for gundam

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Booky posted:

g witch rules

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i don't think we need to philosophize on or even really justify why someone may find interest in experiencing and analyzing shows that would otherwise be passed over for being bad

sometimes there's just joy in the critical process and bad things tend to be interesting to analyze in ways that aren't always found in higher quality works

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The Colonel posted:

personally i am interested in good shows, and dont enjoy watching the bad ones

some people aren't you

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

controversial opinion: bad movies can be funny sometimes

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Code geass s1 is sublime. S2 has a strong start and a strong end but the middle kinda sucks.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i keep forgetting to watch the new code geass stuff

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

They're kids because all the fit for military service adults are dead man

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

lelouch, the anime super genius who has spent most of the show demonstrating his ridiculous intellect, tripping over his own feet at the very last moment right before the show gets a Good End and ruining everything (only to have it appear to be heavily in his favor from external optics) was one of the best moments in anime history. hilarious, tragic, a horrifically emotional situation for all persons involved, i want more of that injected straight into my veins

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Nessus posted:

S1 was a real masterpiece. S2 is fun. That’s my CG opinion

this is mine too, except i'd add the * that the middle of s2 kinda blows

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i don't want to get too much into potential spoilers (don't recall offhand what's been directly stated or not) but i think san magnolia's actions pretty well all make a lot of sense, given what they believe and what they are truly trying to accomplish. there's a bit more going on than "fascism is inherently incompetent" though that's certainly an important element of it. if you are viewing things from lena's perspective it is indeed very absurd what they're doing.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 7, 2023

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

ok actually the mortars being located in the middle of a minefield is really dumb no matter how you look at it.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

there's another composer for the 86 soundtrack, Kohta Yamamoto. i think kohta did most of the background music while sawano did the vocal/bombastic setpiece tracks but i have nothing to back that up other than not thinking a lot of the ost quite sounds like sawano's work.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

are the gurren lagan movies good?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i dont think its that hard to find shows with good animation

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i'm not really seeing enough of the action in that clip to make a good judgement on it tbh. all of those one second long clips look fine i guess but my immediate thought is the connective tissue between those cuts is going to be more important in how good the fights are, or at least a little bit of a sense of how the show transitions in and out of those little clips.

action on roller skates is a good sign though

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

it makes me very sad that evol opens with "same sex combinations are radically inferior to mixed gender combinations" because it's such a funny show but i really can't convince anyone to watch more than 1 episode of it

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

aquarion and evol might have had some extremely questionable positions on just about every subject they covered, but at least they weren't boring like logos.

genesis wasn't the most exciting anime either tbf, i'd probably have forgotten it entirely if not for evol

Ethiser posted:

No one remembers the third Aquarion show, which from what I remember has nothing to do with the first two and ditches the three pilots premise.

i remember being excited when i heard that a new aquarion was being made and then thoroughly disappointed when i heard that it was dull, and never bothered to watch it

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Tales of Woe posted:

aquarion moe will be good i have faith

i just found out this is actually a thing that is happening

i have no faith but i hope it's funny

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i remember finding the first episode of cross ange very funny and then the weird fetish stuff in the 1 or 2 episodes after that thoroughly convinced me that it wasn't worth it and i didn't want to touch cross ange again

i don't actually remember what it was anymore. i wanna say a girl pissed herself? whatever it was i never found the later appeals that it was actually a good show to be enough to look past that

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jan 18, 2024

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Kanos posted:

The first episode of the show opens up pretty rough, iirc. They're setting up the backstory for why she's on prison island or whatever so it's like 20 minutes of Ange's entire life collapsing and ends with her getting strip searched and left crying alone in a prison cell. The second episode immediately whiplashes to hijinx.

ange's life collapsing was very stupid and i thought that was very funny. i loved the baby everyone was treating like a live bomb, and the entire concept of how ange's maid was secretly doing the magic for her every time she tried it for her entire life and ange never once noticed anything off, or caught the maid off guard, or tried to do something the maid misinterpreted is just beyond laughably implausible if you think about it for the half second it takes you to comprehend what the twist is

the uhhhh end of episode cavity search scene was pretty bad though

haypliss posted:

And then they kill that one girl who vomits blood all over the screen, just very easy to write off as the bad kind of stupid edgy stuff

ok but that was actually funny bad, i wanted more of that. that gif is the one thing about cross ange i ever still think about

EDIT: here i found it

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jan 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i missed a bunch of stuff that was cut (i.e. everything except the most barebones outline of rossiu's deal) and having every side character get a moment with their own extra robot was weird when i wasn't sure half of those characters had even been introduced in the movie. however, i otherwise really liked the added stuff (lord genome hacking sequence is a true work of art)

rossiu sounding exactly like lelouche was also a little distracting