Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I don't really like Macross but I can tell bullshit when I see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Christina is technically the antagonist of 0080 though.

Cross Ange flirts with the idea of the lead having that kind of sexuality, but it's also Cross Ange so deserves the same kind of warning as Kannazuki no Miko.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Caphi posted:

How many times has it been rebooted? I remember REIDEEN happened and everyone forgot it pretty much instantly.

That's probably because all-caps Reideen has barely anything to do with OG Reideen in tone or design. Some of its attacks are the same but the robot itself and the plot justifying those moves are so different they may as well have come up with a different name. I watched it a while back and I never thought it was a particularly bad show, but even comparing their openings you can tell it's not really a full reboot or maybe even meant to be one.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
https://twitter.com/gmanetwork/status/1349651613116370947?s=09

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
https://twitter.com/Hellishplight/status/1343328676503547910

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I feel like he would have done alright for himself if they'd dubbed the whole thing.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
They also have the shock batons, and I think riot shields?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I picked up Granbelm again after watching the first episode a while back, and finished it this Wednesday. Really beautiful show, sorry to hear people kind of slept on it back in 2019.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

dogsicle posted:

it was good until they decided the final battle should just be funnel spam

I didn't mind that so much, but admittedly the best fight in the show is still probably Anna's last one, and not just because her voice actor was trying to break the microphone

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Arcsquad12 posted:

Perhaps he was wondering why Lady Une would shoot a man after throwing him out of a plane?

So, who paid you to grab Doctor J?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Basara is the protagonist. Gamlin is the hero.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Its name is BIG TONY

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The mech designs are also not bad actually, a lot of the midboss robots are pretty creative.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
You should probably not trust Anno if he says something in Eva isn't a reference to anything else, especially something Tomino-related.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

chiasaur11 posted:

It gets even more confusing in episode 2, where it's further confirmed that there is a central Japanese civilian government, accepted by all parties, that doesn't do anything about the border conflicts for... reasons.

This made me look it up, and to be fair all we have there is a scene over the news which doesn't exactly say how much power Japanese officials have anymore. Since it was discussing that faction rebuilding things it could have just been PR for them without the government really having much say.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

It owns that halfway through the series Kyao inexplicably starts doing these introspective monologues at the start of episodes, like Tomino ended up liking his actor enough to invent more lines for him. Then a year later he cast him as one of the most evil villains in Zeta Gundam.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Tales of Woe posted:

bones puts out a good show most years, it just isnt usually mecha

i havent seen star driver but i thought people liked that one?

I can't speak for others but I got to the point where I realized I was kind of hate-watching it because I wanted the main character to lose even though deep down I knew he wasn't going to. All the bad guys he tore through seemed more compelling to watch than him.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It's the Highlander of mecha

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Omnicrom posted:

Sakugan stuff

This is all fair criticism, though one thing I'll add they didn't super advertise about the show is that it's adapting a novel series that seems to still be ongoing, so it was less the anime team baiting for a second season and more the fact finishing it in one go was just never on the table.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
You want to get truth? Why don't you get some bitches?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
As someone watching it too I'd argue he makes it sound a lot more memorably bad than it usually is.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
One of the 86 Author's notes has them mentioning they wrote it to the first Iron-Blooded Orphans opening, so I'd say Shin and Lena definitely are the newest in that archetype.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I try not to think about all the plastic that went into making all those instead of reprints of old stuff. It is kinda funny that the beginner light novel author understood how to market a main girl more than a big company like Sunrise though, because it's really not that hard.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It's weird it took this long for them to even focus on the Japanese government since the first two episodes established all the countries were here on their say so, which just made me wonder what kind of lovely deal they made where they can just do whatever they please to Japanese citizens. Revealing they're on the take of the one army not really doing that seems pretty on-brand though.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I don't remember the false flag thing, was that mentioned in Season 1? I guess to them that would explain why the foreign soldiers stationed there can all just arrest and execute Japanese citizens if they feel like it.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I built the first Ghost kit and it was pretty fun, but I probably wouldn't have gotten it if it weren't the only robot from Kyoukai Senki I liked the look of. Competition for plastic stuff you stick together is pretty fierce right now and I don't think most people buy kits just based on the build process.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Gone too long, very happy to see it.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
86 kinda? It's usually not the pilots doing it, granted.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The Brave series with the best characters (Da Garn) isn't actually in SRW yet.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
For Super Robots, Rumble Garandoll was 2021, and 2019 had Granbelm if you still consider that 'recent'. There's also Megaton Musashi, though I've seen nothing of that.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
That's what Madoka did, but the thing about copying stuff is you can do it without understanding why people liked the first thing doing it. I think Granbelm understood why even if Madoka isn't the only thing it references, but if you're tired of that stuff in general I can get bouncing off it.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Those two guys at least look cooler than that trio of dorks

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The dub of New Century is also decent (which is good, since it has no actual subs) since it's a lot of the Ocean Gundam people.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Kid's show in the vein of the Brave series with a heavy exclusive focus on trains. Haven't seen anything of it but it seems to be reasonably popular.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
iirc She was also called to that era by a group from Mazinkaiser SKL, meaning Miku was linked in-story to one of the craziest, most over-the-top violent things to ever be in Super Robot Wars.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Both go different places in the second half, since the manga wasn't quite finished and the director of the anime got to do his own ending.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 8, 2023

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Eureka Seven spent way more than one season ruining things from the original

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The fight scene you're saying sucks was way after all of that though

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
30 has Knights & Magic as one of the shows, and Bandai made figures of a couple of the robots in that. Those robots didn't actually make it into the game. Sometimes it is just 'yeah, this might draw in some more people'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Pootybutt posted:

Clearly the answer is to make a Pokemon Mecha show or a Planet Robobot anime.

You'd only even need to get a voice actor for Haltmann for that second one too.