Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'd settle for the manga getting translated at this point, really.

I'd be happy with any kind of Mazinger Z really. I need more Mazinger in my life.

I've started playing SRW V though and I have a question about Cross Ange. Is it as awful as this game makes it seem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

The game actually tones down the awful of the anime.

:shepface: What was so bad about it? Because it's extremely annoying in the game and I hate that the characters will inevitably come back. I really don't want to sit through more catty murderous highschool girls with giant robots.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

What are the general feelings on Nadesico and Full Metal Panic by and by? I just replayed J and now I'm rushing through V and they both feature the two series heavily and I figure I guess I should get around to watching them? But from what friends have told me FMP especially tends to mostly focus on comedy over robot action?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So, that's how that goes down in Nadesico, huh? Gai's death is just like that? After playing J I'd kind of expected it to be somewhat similar. But no. Just shot to death in episode three what the gently caress.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

You're happier that way, believe me. No one deserves to watch Prince of Darkness.

If I was able to remove two mecha series from history, they'd be Prince of Darkness and Eureka Seven AO.

I was planning on watching it because SRW is raising so many questions about what goes on between now and the movie, but is it really that bad? What's wrong with it?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So I finished watching Nadesico, it was really good and I liked it. Then I watched the movie and got bored halfway through because oh man that is some hot garbage right there. I kind of started to tune it out when they revealed that Yurika was the magical techno-warp box now? That's dumb.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Saying it happens "10 years after the show" is hilariously worthless for Mazinger. What show? Does it take Great Mazinger and Grendizer as canon? Mazinkaiser? Hell, Zero?
Yes.

I didn't even know there was a Mazinger Z movie and now I'm super stoked because oh man I just finished watching Getter Robo: Armageddon (It was awesome and I wholly regret waiting this long to watch it) and was lamenting that I didn't have any more Mazinger Z to consume as well.

EDIT: So I've almost got my friend convinced robot anime is cool. He's about to watch some Getter, is on the fence with Mazinger Z and absolutely loved Big O and Evangelion (hated the rebuilds though). So, do you guys have any suggestions for series that capture the style or tone of Big O or Eva at all? I've run through most of my good ideas already and we've got a few cool things to watch.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 15, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Motto posted:

Cam of the mazinger PV
https://twitter.com/pKjd/status/875133341162328069

the CG looks okay, I guess.

:eyepop: I'm still not used to a more visually detailed Mazinger but dang, that classic theme is great.

Srice posted:

A lot of animators on Big O had previously worked on Giant Robo, both series do an excellent job at giving the robots this bulky, weighty feel in their movements.

Yeah I looked up some of that and I think that's what we're going to move on to next. Apparently the director also worked on Karas, which while not mecha has always been one of my personal favorite OVAs.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Midjack posted:

I actually have a copy but have never played it.

You should, it's actually pretty fun. You get your mechs and can customize them with various parts to optimize them as you see fit and equip weapons on them by slotting guns, swords and shields into a grid-system turning arming your mobile suits into inventory tetris. The biggest issue is that late-game stuff tends to reduce the need for any kind of customization by offering up gundams that are already the best available in their stat so there's no need to swap out parts unless you really want to give heavyarms some rocket hands or something.

Kanos posted:

That's Tristan and Aeon, the male and female lead from the surprisingly great PS2 JRPG MS Saga(Gundam True Odyssey in Japan).

Frankly, I'm absolutely amazed that anyone else remembered that game existed.

:eyepop: I never thought I'd see that game get acknowledged outside of weird LPs. Shame the game wasn't more popular or whatever, really. I wouldn't mind more like it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Maybe it'll get an anime adaptation someday. If we're brave enough, that is.

I'm still hoping for a great mecha anime season. Maybe this, crossbones and something new and cool will hit all at once. :negative: I can dream.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

It looks like it's something from Gundam Seed.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The real question is, would Nadesico have been better or worse if the big reveal was that the antagonists were actually just bearded dragons the whole time?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Gurren-Lagann.

No, seriously. It's insane reading the Getter Robo manga and realizing how Gurren-Lagann really is the best Getter Robo adaptation. It's not even subtle about how much it takes from it.

Gurren Lagann owes basically its entire existence to Getter Robo, even its visual style during intense story and action beats is super, super similar to the getter OVAs like Armageddon.

Anyway here's a question for the thread: Talking about anime with a friend who's not really into mecha stuff they asked me if there were any series with LGBT+ representation (specifically leaning towards the L, but in general as well) and I found myself drawing a blank because I can't honestly think of too many series I've watched featuring much representation, or handled it well if they did.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Thanks for the suggestions so far! I've watched some of those myself and they slipped my mind completely, but I really do need to finish watching IBO one day soon. I know my friend *knows* things like Gunbuster and Diebuster exist since Diebuster was done by the FLCL guy and they're a huge fan of that; so they might be receptive to giving that a go. Compiling a small list of these, because it's nice to know some series have some representation.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Siegkrow posted:

The ZZ gundam is basically a super, or at least that's what I played mine like.

ZZ and Zeta both wind up insanely powerful, the other UC mechs less so but they're always super dodgy and can hit decently hard but you just get so many of them that you might as well only bring the good ones.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

True the best way to experience Layzner besides playing one of the SRW or ACE games it's included in is probably just watching this MAD of the opening;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rDLigCs0xI

I love when SRW includes more obscure series, doubly so if they're rad as hell, but then you go back and watch the series and it's nowhere near as good. See also: a lot of the brave series which can lend themselves to really fun interactions, but just don't always hold up.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Speaking of: have the Brave Saga games ever gotten any kind of fan translation?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I could never get into the zoids anime because that early CG was ugly. The toys, however, were cool - but from what I've come to understand, their inability to preserve and recreate their molds wound up being the death of their own products as even reprints and reproductions of their toylines in later years just used increasingly hosed up molds and lower quality plastics leading to really lovely kits no one wanted.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So I've been replaying SRW 30 with all the DLC, and what's the deal with Shinkalion?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Hellioning posted:

It brings up that child soldiers are bad, and then kind of brushes past it with 'well the child soldiers really want to be child soldiers, so.' It also features Hatsune Miku playing a Hatsune Miku But She Pilots A Train Mecha. They actually bring up the train designed to look like Eva-01 and immediately start make Eva references in a children's show.

In short it is a show of contrasts.

The eva stuff sounds really weird.

Justin_Brett posted:

Kid's show in the vein of the Brave series with a heavy exclusive focus on trains. Haven't seen anything of it but it seems to be reasonably popular.

But I got some pretty Brave Series vibes from it, yeah. The mechs in SRW look real awkward because their style doesn't mesh with the rest of the game very well.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So I'm finally watching VOTOMS. I never really cared much for the scopedog design, but I've always been curious what's going on in this show just based on the little bios in SRW, so I finally caved and I'm only two episodes in and solidly hooked. But I might just have a weakness for 80's rear end anime luring me in to love everything about the visuals of this show.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Marx Headroom posted:

It's such a cool show. I would even recommend it to non-mecha fans, especially anyone who loves those 70s-80s Italian Mad Max knockoff movies. The machines themselves are so ancillary, you could tell the same story with everyone on motorcycles.

I feel like this has always been a really strong point with certain non-super mech series; things like the original Gundam where you could replace the Mobile Suits with like, the latest jet fighter tech or whatever and the story would largely be the same because it isn't strictly about the cool robots; the cool robots where there to be set dressing and toys.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Yeah, everyone talks about how ~hardcore~ souls games are but the thing is that there are basically no actual consequences for failure or sloppy play in any of them except maybe sekiro, the worst that will happen is that you drop all your unspent currency if you die twice, and the games make it clear real early on that you do not want to be carrying a balance. In Armored Core you have to actually be good at not getting hit and not just brrrrrting ammo everywhere, because even if you complete your mission sloppy play will land your rear end in megadebt.

But if I get into megadebt they'll replace me with a better me.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Now now, ifI recall it also acknowledges the idea of genderfluidity and homosexuality by having the oppressive governments team of evil mech pilots all have non-normative pilot combos like guys taking the bottom position and m/m or f/f pilot pairings!

God, franxx was poo poo

IIRC the evil pilots were all still hetero, they were just weird and spooky because they liked bondage, or the dude was on bottom, and other ~abnormal~ things like that. The one time the show really acknowledged the gays was when the lady who'd had an obvious thing for another of the main characters pushed hard to pilot with her and then basically got infected with turbo cancer for her efforts while everyone around her was like "We loving told you this wouldn't work, you idiot."

It was not a subtle or good show. I just kind of stopped watching when it was obvious the writers had zero interest in any actual character development that wasn't "you two best be fuckin' in there". Fan reactions to the show can best be summed up with a gif of Homer chasing his barbeque pig desperately saying "It's still good" every few seconds because people really, really, wanted it to be the next Gurren Lagann.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Fivemarks posted:

Would you rather have Franxx's weird politics, or Kill la Kill's weird sexuality stuff?

Franxx had just as much weird sexuality stuff, and a much shittier message attached to it. At least in Kill la Kill, the most prominent weird scene, as bad as it was, you were still supposed to at least identify the villain as being a bad person doing a bad thing. Unlike Franxx which just goes "Look at all these freaks, not being normal!"

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Anshu posted:

Idly curious which weird Kill la Kill scene you consider to be the most prominent.

Probably the bit where the antagonist of the first half of the series gets molested by the antagonist of the second half of the series, Id imagine

It was real hosed up and bad, yeah.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Pootybutt posted:

Clearly the answer is to make a Pokemon Mecha show or a Planet Robobot anime.

I'm telling you, now is the time for a medabots revival.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Light Gun Man posted:

just be careful they don't make robopon by accident instead

Robopon was an alright pokemon knockoff, robopon 2 was mechanically better but has an insane plot where basically the first thing you do is murder a man and everyone just lets it slide because he was a loner and no one liked him anyway.

Light Gun Man posted:

image search robopon manga if you feel brave / want a laugh

Infamously the manga was drawn by a guy who just gave everyone giant tits, including the children. The actual games are do not do that.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

i just found out that the cool medabots rpg game i had on gba in middle school is part of a 9 entry series that we just never got in the us

i'm a little upset the ds games never came over tbh (unless they sucked)

The first DS game was a bit jank, because it was incredibly slow and awkward as a lot of first transitions into 3D tend to be, but for the most part I can't recall any real entry into the series being terrible; save for, you know. Meandering around not knowing what to do and missing all the obtuse missable content because I'm terrible at reading Japanese. Also if you're playing the older games emulation doesn't really work that well with the weird Parts Collection releases they did. But! If you have a high tolerance for not knowing what you're doing/following guides or can read Japanese I highly recommend picking basically any of the games and having at it. The other GBA game, Navi, is incredibly similar in visual style and gameplay to the game we got in the west so it's pretty solid while 7, 8 and 9 follow on, mechanically, from DS: taking what it introduces to the franchise and refining it to be better. 1-5 are similar to the GBA games, but more simplified, lacking a lot of the animation and detail because they're on the gameboy and gameboy colour.

muike posted:

maybe someone who knows more than me can say something about it, but i keep seeing regular crossovers with popular things for the medabots mobile game

As a game franchise it never died in Japan and the games, for the most part, actually own and are really fun and I would kill to get them translated. Even the mobile game which is pretty heavy pay for power gacha poo poo. But it has megaman and bass from the battle network series! Unfortunately the banners are expensive and the game isn't f2p friendly, or at least it didn't feel that way as someone who didn't have any guides or anything to understand what was going on. IIRC the cool RPG we got, was a remake of like, the second game in Japan, which was made to celebrate the anime which was an adaptation of that game's story. A lot of the base mechanics tend to be similar, which is good because the base mechanics are really fun but every so often they add or remove new gimmicks and stuff like pokemon, but if you've played the GBA game, you'd know there's an absolute ton of dialogue and incredibly arbitrary npc flags and dialogue you need to do to trigger events and plot progression which makes them really annoying to translate so even among fans, it's pretty rare for groups to do more than just menu translations for them.

Some have been translated though, I think the first game on the gameboy and R for the PS1 have been fully translated, while the DS game, 3 and 4 are still vague works in progress. There's also a partial and menu translation that was somewhat recently updated for 9 though the people working on it have said they have no intention to do the story and it's still a slow work in progress. I think there might be other groups working on that as well but who knows, fan translation projects often die without a word or can take years (the Digimon Story Lost Evolution project finally finishing like, last year was a fun surprise).

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

What's the robot that looks like it's made of glass on the left though? It looks pretty cool.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Justin_Brett posted:

That's Symbionic Titan, from the series of the same name by Genndy Tartosvsky.

Oh, that's a shame. I've never actually sat through an episode long enough to see the robot I guess. Still a cool looking robot, shame about the everything else.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Brandfarlig posted:

Is there an updated version of the OP somewhere? I haven't watched any mecha basically but Armored Core 6 has me wanting more robots.

Depending on your tolerance for old art and animation: Armored Trooper VOTOMS has some loosely armored core vibes to it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Speaking of getter manga, what's a good spot to start with it? I've read bits and pieces but I've never really sat down and read any of it to completion.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Code Geass is fun. Shame about the like, newer movies and poo poo where it keeps going after the ending and feels like they just copied someone's fanfiction theory for what comes next.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I didn't like the way the movies changed up the finale. Saying "It felt excessive" about Gurren Lagann is kind of an asinine point I guess, but to me at least; it kind of crosses a threshold where it stops being funny and just kind of becomes dull. Also it feels like it adds in more Kamina worship which feels kind of weird given that like, half of the series was pretty explicit about not doing that.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Gripweed posted:

let Miorine and Suletta pilot the Gunbuster

Now I'm sad we'll never get to see an SRW that does this.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

At the risk of having a Bad Opinion I was listening to the GaoGaiGar OP and when I read the lyrics it struck me that it was the equivalent of 90s and early 2000s North American anime intros that either shout the name of the show repeatedly or slip into Plot Summary Lyrics.

Yeah it's pretty rad

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

I didn't say it was bad, just that it reminded me of something like the Canadian DBZ intro that is just shouting Dragon Ball Zeeeeeeeee on repeat. My Bad Opinion warning was more comparing an OP to the rather maligned (with notable exceptions) late 90s practice of ditching the original song for a usually pretty bad new intro tune. It's funny to me to realize that those old English intros weren't actually too far off the mark.

I like how the dub for Escaflowne's opening song was just "Esca...flowne." over and over again too. Also Big O! Big O, Big O, Big O!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I’ve been playing through SRW X and I’m curious to try out some of the shows. Does anyone have any SRW X shows outside of Gundam, Gurren Lagann, Code Geass, and Nadia they’d recommend? I was already planning on Dunbine at some point, but I haven’t gotten around to it yet.

Dunbine is fantastic. It's very Zeta Gundam? I like it a lot, at least. Mazinger Z: The Impact is really fun, the ending isn't super great but it's definitely a good watch with some fantastic opening tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I don’t know if it can have worse flashing lights than GaoGaiGar. I’m only 3 episodes in, but the sequence where the four kings introduce themselves was loving painful.

And Cross Ange I was interested in, aside from the outfits of a bunch of teenagers. I know it comes with the territory of female mecha pilots, but it seems a little excessive.

GaoGaiGar doesn't get any worse than that. However, every scene with the villains meeting in their home base is exactly like that and it always sucks. I literally had to close my eyes every time because it would just give me the worst loving headaches.