Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So recently my roommate made me watch Cyber City Ouedo. Man that show was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I'll just leave a list of a lot of the newer stuff I have watched and enjoyed lately:
GunXSword
Gaiking
Kotetsushin Jeeg
Shin Mazinger
Mazinkaiser SKL

If you liked Gurren Lagann all but the first one will be up your alley. I just generally recommend GunXSword because it is fun as hell.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I can't believe this is real. I'm so happy.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Neo Getter vs Shin Getter is pretty loving good. I liked it a lot more than Armageddon. The first episode involves boxing velociraptors.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

That show should be watched just for the Texas Mack scenes. It helps that the rest of it kicks rear end.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I unironically love Zeorymer. It's less mecha, but Cyber City Ouedo kicks rear end. Mazinkaiser SKL is a fun one too.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Man, I'm not a muvluv fan by any means, but I saw a clip from Schwarezmarken where someone got wrecked with what was essentially a riotshield with claymores on the front of it and I wish those would show up elsewhere.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

This may not be the best place, but does anyone have a US complete collection of EVA they'd want to part with? Im looking for a friend.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Thats what I'll look into then. I saw a bit of that but mostly sealed for hundreds of dollars and thats too much for anime.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

For lack of a better explaination, its like Eva. Last episode is surreal and weird, movie is vicious and closes with the utmost finality.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

muike posted:

i really like fmp because of the cold war alternate history setting and technological aspect and characters and i love gates ok please stop causing me emotional distress

I gotchu homie. FMP is good.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I can't wait for the new series to come out and probably dump the old english voice cast and probably be disappointing in other ways because :negative:

I don't want to listen to anyone other than Chris Patton and Luci Christian as Sousuke and Kaname.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

Tthe Full Metal Panic Sigma manga is a decent enough alternative to not having KyoAni animate the rest of the story. It starts where The Second Raid starts, so you might want to skip ahead a bit. I'm not sure I would say the mecha parts specifically ever get all that much better but there are still some good character moments, and in general the story evolves/devolves into what basically amounts to something out of Metal Gear Solid and I kind of like it a lot for that.

This is how I experienced the back half of the story and its a decent way to get it. There was always a bit of Metal Gear to FMP, but Sigma is good.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So, PoD is infamous for how dramatic the tone shift is. It also relies on you having played a SegaCD visual novel that filled in the plot going from post series to PoD. So Just same as above, Ruri is the lead, Akito is turned into Dark Knight Returns Batman. Yurika is barely in the movie and the times she is makes you wish otherwise. There's a few good mech fights and the Black Selena rules, but overall it stomps all over what the first show was about. Original series Nadesico got serious at Times, but I still feel that it's this really fun, loving show that cares about the cast and audience.

I actually don't hate PoD as a standalone title. I think if it didn't say Nadesico on it then it could be a Zeorymer-like show where the mech action is really fun and nonsensical, but everything else is chiched and riffable. The fact is says Nadesico on it ruins all of that and takes away from a show that genuinely stuck with me.

SethSeries fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 8, 2017

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

https://twitter.com/alphajarmel/status/881284706330828800

New Full Metal Panic S3 trailer.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I still think that GunXSword is fantastic and I recommend it especially in the lead up to the new Super Robot Wars.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

GunXSword is a really charming show. I'll add to what the others have said just a little bit here.

Vaan definitely isn't an edgy character and he's just as much a comedic character as he is the main hero. A fair number of bits consist of him being a huge stick in the mud or being incredibly weird about wanting to douse his meals in every condiment the restaurant will give him. This is balanced out by him wanting to put a bullet into The Claw and damned be anyone trying to stop him. The edgy character you'd think Vaan is shows up in the middle part of the show and he's a really good contrast to what Vaan could be if he completely abandoned himself to that revenge. There's one episode that has vaan sink to that character's level and it's a really important part of the show.

GunXSword has moments that feel like a response to certain parts of anime, and as someone said it's real mean towards the SEEDs in particular, but it's an enjoyable show without having that context. The show is a last of it's kinda thing from early 00s anime and it shows that. I dont think GunXSword is a perfect show, but it's a wonderful mecha anime and one of my favorites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Speaking of jumping into new shows, I'm 7 episodes into Tekkaman Blade. This show is such a weird thing because it feels like a 70s anime design wise with 80s and 90s anime trappings. It may be that I'm early in, but the show isn't as angsty as I've been led to believe outside of D-Boy, but even his stuff is really off because he clearly cares. They lay those hints on very early. I'm liking it a lot.