Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
yeah it definitely feels weird and sort of rushed

like how after all the buildup of making yuratei seem a lot more noble and purposeful and then suddenly she just sorta died out of nowhere and then the show ended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
huh

maybe i should watch netflix voltron.

it's still irascibly weird that this anime that was always meant to be an anime is now pretty much a western property. like they sort of tried in the 90s to make voltron all cool and redesigned (and failed horribly) but now it's just, yeah, that's golion right there

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
how the gently caress is harmony gold still in business

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
and so bubuki buranki ended.

it was eh. it happened, it had a sort of interesting thing going but the villain wasn't really what they were playing her up to be, the day is saved ultimately because the hero really wanted it very hard, and it ends with a non-ending pointing to a season 2 i kind of doubt we'll ever see

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Darth Walrus posted:

Luck and Logic remained slight but pleasant to the end, and I liked the clever way they made Over Trancing (the ultra-powerful, ultra-dangerous technique) scary. Basically, you can overclock the fusions with deities that give the cast their superpowers, but since the special mystic power source is your psyche, it'll eventually lead to your personality literally exploding out of your body, and if there's not someone around to catch the shrapnel... well, you won't be as you were.

...was luck and logic a robots show????

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
wait omg they're doing a new J9 show, with the original staff and all, possibly this year?

heck yesssss

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Galvion's OP is cool and the robot itself is cool.

Unfortunately by many reports the show's pretty low-budget and on the aimless side, and it was cut short i think more than halfway through so the show just ends with a voiceover of 'this is how the show was going to actually go'

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

At least it has pretty cool mech and monster designs. Did the music end up good? I tried to watch to hear what Akiko Shikata would put out, but I couldn't take the show itself. If the music ended up good, seems like SRW would be the best place for it, far away from it being able to do anything terrible.

both OPs are pretty good actually, that's what matters for srw

the second would make a kickass climactic map theme or boss music

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
and here people were worried about cross ange in the next srw, jesus christ shin mazinger zero sounds ridiculous

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
So I finally finished watching Gad Guard after an epoch, man I don't remember when I even started it or what country I lived in when I began but it has to have been in the realm of a year.

A lot of style in this show. Like, it very much shines through that people who really loved what they were doing put a lot into this. The design and atmosphere of the whole thing was wonderful, they absolutely did a great job with the setting in general. But a lot of the rest was...a little lacking? The plot took aaaaaaaaaaaages to actually get going, it basically doesn't HAVE a central plot until the last couple of episodes, so for a long while it felt like nothing happening was all too important.

I think the problem is that, given how it's a show about robots in an odd post-apocalyptic sci-fi Art Deco 1930s megacity, the comparisons to The Big O are inevitable, and I kind of went in expecting, you know, stuff like that. But really, it's...it's more slice of life, if anything. So much of the show focuses more on the lower-key antics the main cast gets up to in their jobs and it doesn't hitch itself to a greater underlying current until the very end. Mecha shows usually do that after all! But this is a hard one to pin down. It's sometimes pleasant and amusing and fitting for younger sorts. It's sometimes a bit more familiar and action-ful and general! It's sometimes really freaky and touches on disturbing themes best fit for an older audience. And I think that might've been it, I think the show had some problems during development, you can very much see its budget grind to a halt in the latter half. It's another one of those shows that would've likely been just a bit better if it was restrained to 13 episodes instead of 26 and had more focus to it, because there's a really strong undercurrent to it.

It was really heavily focused on character arcs, so...it's problematic that all the characters were mostly 'okay'. Hajiki's an alright protagonist, the standard shounen fare but he's never explicitly, flagrantly stupid or anything? Headstrong, sure, but he's a teenager and given that he has a giant punchy robot running around with him he's astonishingly down to earth for his archetype, and his resolution was predictable but still decently executed enough. I wanted to like Arashi more but she very quickly fell into being 'the love interest' and despite demonstrating herself to be capable in her own right...nobody really treated her that way, and she never got to do as much as I'd wish besides just sticking around Hajiki, her sole character development was 'i don't get along with my dad'. Katana was the most interesting character on the face of it, cold-hearted merc with a soft spot for his tiny moe pal and I think he was the strongest of the cast, he went mad with power in an amusing way and did a good job as the rival while eliciting a few 'awwww's from me at the end, though I was never clear on his motivation. On the flip side. Takumi and Aiko were rather disappointing and I feel more could've been done with them, they had their big moments basically filling up the middle of the show and they just didn't pay off well enough in my opinion, and it meant they were absolutely irrelevant to the greater later-on plot, which was a little more interesting.

I liked it enough but there was so much potential I felt was wasted and...I dunno. It's one of those that I understand why it was forgotten, because while the setting and premise is nice it just ultimately doesn't do enough with them to be a strong story on its own. It's a matter of style over substance, the design is wonderful and the jazzy music is excellent when it kicks in but beyond that it's just a bit shallow in spite of all the windows into very interesting elements. Unfortunate! But if you liked The Big O and want to see a show all about that setting, here you go - Unit Blue basically is Paradigm City in all but name. Just expect it to explicitly be skirting around all that depth and intrigue.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Darth Walrus posted:

Xebec's last mecha show was Argevollen, which was extremely dull but at least had some half-decent CG action.

Actually it was Fafner Exodus! Which I really enjoyed though it can be a bit of a mixed bag.

...but I'm not sure to that extent Xebec even has anything to do with the direction and writing? I think they're just the animation - so it'd make sense Argevollen was pretty bad but had pretty good CG. Xebec's decent at that, it seems! Lagrange as well as pretty good with CG as well.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Droyer posted:

So on a whim I decided to watch Fafner and holy poo poo the fafner movie is really good.

yeah, the TV series is a little questionable and many might find it boring, but the OVA is good, the movie is great fun, and Exodus is absolutely excellent. I've no idea if they really are through with the franchise, it ended a little ambigiously, but the people working on it have absolutely gotten better and better and I hope whatever they get together to do next works out well

I also hope Exodus did well financially, I think it did better than expected but still not...ideal?

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Droyer posted:

I've started watching Exodus and the fight choreography is really good. As for the first series, I feel like early on it has a very melancholic mood which I can understand isn't for everyone but I wouldn't call it boring per se. Also http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-01-06/sokyu-no-fafner-the-beyond-anime-project-1st-teaser-video-streamed/.110715

how the gently caress did I not know about this

i am decidedly hype, and also hope it isn't delayed quite as much as IIRC Exodus was

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Dessel posted:

Yeah, that show is incredible and I adore the 80's style ED to bits. It really feels like it took the VOTOMS universe and just made a way better show than the original.

Is it just me or have we been lacking any good new IP or even decent trainwreck mecha shows as of few years?

There's Gundam/Macross but both are established IP. Both IBO and the"legacy" Gundam shows are both at least decent. Delta wasn't horrible but it petered out.

New IP's that I can think of are Aldnoah Zero (kinda trainwrecky but entertaining) Argevollen (extremely boring and generic but somewhat accurate portrayal of military. I actually found it genuinely interesting a show but it was generic/boring to a fault). Kuromukuro was mediocre at best, too. Heavy Object was horrible and I stuck with it way too long. Valvrave was pure trainwreck. Honestly the one new IP I can look kinda positively in an unreserved fashion is Gargantia. I have a hard time actually calling Sidonia a mecha show.

I guess I'm hopelessly trying to catch the same feeling I got when I discovered NGE as it was my first anime I actually watched. Unfortunately I was also the right age of Gundam SEED/Destiny right as they broadcast and I actually enjoyed them - they were actually the first Gundam shows I saw. I've since watched 08th MS Team but not the Gundam classics at all. I consumed RahXephon and Code Geass roughly at the same time. Since then there was the obvious Gurren Lagann which led me to check Gun/Diebuster. It actually took me over a year to warm for Gurren Lagann to finish it and then over a year ago I took the plunge to Patlabor and VOTOMS.

I guess I should start checking for more of the golden classics. I am genuinely wondering though whether I have a subjective bias in thinking there's a lack of actual new and good mecha IP or is this a trend the genre fans acknowledge?

edit: I actually forgot to mention Majestic Prince and I remember the goon reaction being fairly decent. I'll probably check it soon.
v

The genre in general is in a bit of a slow spot, possibly due to TTGL having been the most recent real enduring hit - though IBO's success seems to be pretty strong. Dunno why you wouldn't call Sidonia a mecha show, really, but I guess if you wouldn't count that you wouldn't count Bubuki Buranki, which only really embraced the giant robots as a mainstay in the second season (and was better for it). Lagrange wasn't that long ago either, along with M3, both things I really liked but everyone overlooked. There's also Comet Lucifer and Regalia, which weren't...great, mind, but they were definitely there and had some fun stuff in them. And for better or worse, Cross Ange but let's not get into that. If you want to pad out the numbers as well against the position of there just not being many in this decade I /suppose/ you could also count Dai Shogun and Daimidaler AKA the worst and second worst shows I've ever seen any episodes of. Hundred was also there and bad by all accounts but eh.

Next season we've also got Re:Creators which I literally only just found out will exist and so I am excited for, then at some point we're getting that Meguru thing Brains Base is working on, the new J9 show, Jinraiger, whatever the hell ID-0 is going to be, Knights and Magic which might be another Hundred but could also be good, Megaton Musashi which has an interesting-ish premise, Sengoku Dullahan which is just 'let's have the usual Sengoku stuff happen, but everyone's in robots', and probably some other things in the next 3 years that haven't been announced yet.

Oh and we might as well count Symphogear with all this, it's /technically/ magical girls but you would be forgiven for forgetting that. It's rad and does the whole musical combat thing way better than Macross.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Yeah I presume the intent was basically 'what has even been relevant in the 2010s' and in truth it's been sort of a rough time for the biggest projects. AGE and Reconguista both kinda flopped, Macross Delta was a disappointment, Eva 3.0 wasn't that great either, soooo

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Droyer posted:

I'm gonna take this moment to plug Concrete Revolutio, my favorite show of 2016. It is more a show where robots occasionally happen than a mecha show though.

Yeah, it's more of an action series where every genre's pitted against each other, some of which include robots. It's about as mecha as the first season of Bubuki Buranki, where the robots were more like a plot device for the first and last few episodes and everyone spent most of the time being more shounen weapon fighting.

...Concrete Revolutio could be fun in an SRW though. Weird, but I could see it.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Schwarzwald posted:

So I guess this is a thing.

It doesn't seem to be leading to any actual new animation, but how often is Ginguiser in the news?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/int...t-force/.114294

i want some kind of actual collab animation between these four

i also want the plot to explicitly be 'well gently caress we can't get any of the super robots anyone cared about to fix this, uhhh, you four, i guess', and that they're totally self-aware that as far as 70s robot anime goes, these four are the absolute bottom of the barrel

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
buddy complex is kinda bad

break blade has a fun setting and cooler robots, and its characters are way better, between the two i don't think it's a competition

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Guy Goodbody posted:

It doesn't help that the villain in the first season is just a lovely version of Ali Al-Saachez

the villains in FMP are pretty universally garbage. they're barely written like people which makes them not very interesting to see doing stuff.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
the big thing with IBO is like

it is most certainly a flawed show, but modern standards for the vast majority of gundam has been to completely and utterly poo poo the bed in some capacity

SEED was kind of a clusterfuck and the sequel took that to unprecedented heights, 00 started strong but the second season and movie were hot garbage, AGE started meh, had a good second quarter, and then was just awful all around in the last half, and Reco...saying it poo poo the bed is exaggerating, but if one of IBO's problems is being muddled and all over the place then holy poo poo are you not going to have fun with Reco

and I'd argue the majority of Universal Century kinda sucks too. I loved the original 0079 but felt Zeta was a drag when I was literally watching it at 150% speed, and somehow ZZ's meandering is even worse. expansions have been hit or miss too

so it's mostly the first four AUs which I would call the real highlight of the franchise, and IBO's pretty similar to those in quality and execution. there's still problems but they're good shows that don't totally fall apart in their second halves like almost all of the rest recently

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Blaze Dragon posted:

This is the main reason why I want Aquarion Logos at some point in SRW. For all the flaws that show had (and it was not lacking in those, though I found it enjoyable regardless) having a bunch of different Aquarion forms combined from different Vector choices and sometimes even the same but reversed was neat as hell and I also see it as something really hard to adapt to how SRW works, so I'm super interested about what Banpresto would do with that.

the big problem with Aquarion Logos is primarily that like, each form does one thing, ever. there really isn't the substance to make those forms actual units, and to make that even less viable, you'd basically be forced to shuffle around half a dozen useless jets in weird combinations, most of which you couldn't actually combine in any combination, so it'd be a pain to remember who next to who does what specific thing

the way they'd do it is likely disappointingly simple - it'd just be one unit, that only combines and stuff as attack animations, and the whole crew of six is sitting there as a single spirit pool

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

dogsicle posted:

the follow up question to that is at what point does re:creators actually wrap around to being good? because it definitely wasn't in the first 1/4, and i feel like 7 episodes is already a big commitment.

you're probably not going to like the rest of it then

i'll give the show that it's been consistent in quality, just not consistently good

also if you're in it for the robots you're gonna be disappointed, Mr. I Have The Giant Robot is kind of a non-character and the robot doesn't do much anyway

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Pandora has got to be the lowest I'm setting my expectations for a mecha show in a long-rear end time considering who's behind it. Please prove me wrong cause we're a touch starved for the Good poo poo.

And Tiramisu's almost certainly just a weird comedy thing, and the one-two punch of Daimidaler and Dai Shogun soured me on that idea forever probably, so also low expectations.

...uh, will I need to have seen the rest of FMP before Invisible Victory? If so, better get on that.

...and also will I need to have seen the rest of Build Fighters before Divers?

so drat behind

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
I have heard absolutely zilch about that Pandora show directed by our pal Kawamori. Like, I know he's had a spotty track record as a director recently, but I mean Aquarion and Nobunaga the Fool were at least weird and interesting. Anyone know how that one's panned out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
egao no daika was one of the ten best anime of the 2010s that had giant robots in, and i doubt that we'll hear much about it ever again even with Hayamin doing a good job