Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Does the Getter Robo manga ever pick up? I read both the original and G, and neither one seemed particularly compelling to me, and even a little wordy at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Alright then, I'll give Go a shot.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I dunno man, Nagai could be a little weird too.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 24, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Dialogue is not "telling". Monologues are "telling", and those aren't bad either.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

wielder posted:

It's kind of sad that Macross 2 and Plus were actually released in English thanks to some legal loophole but none of the other Macross series can use that anymore.

Weren't legal issues with Macross the only thing keeping Super Robot Wars Alpha from getting an official English release as well?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

You're better off just listening to RahXephon's excellent ost, because holy poo poo is the show itself boring as hell and bad.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The fight scenes are basically the reason to watch MJP.

Kanos posted:

I would say it's about half kind of boring and half good. I feel like the good outweighs the boring, especially some specific moments of payout.

I think there are a few moments that work alright in isolation, such as episode 19, but in the larger context of the show I feel the writing doesn't really work.

The actual presentation of the death of the girl that Ayato more or less kills himself was genuinely good, but I might have cared more if it hadn't been more than 10 episodes since we last saw that girl. Or if she or other characters had more realized personalities.

RahXephon really frustrates me because it has all of the pieces of a pretty amazing show and they don't come together well at all, at least to me.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

dogsicle posted:

what the heck, nobody mentioned Big O

I'm actually watching through this for the first time right now, and it's loving amazing. Watch The Big O if you haven't for some reason, people.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Nobunaga the Fool's ending is really bizarre and strange too, and not in a particularly good or compelling way.

I think it would be neat to see in SRW though.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Motto posted:

I heard Buddy Complex was pretty standard mecha show, but an enjoyable standard.

Pretty much. It doesn't aim particularly high at all but it at least hits the target. The entire second cour had to be stuffed into the last two episodes though, which sucks.

There many better and more interesting to watch before you consider Buddy Complex.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Droyer posted:

Isn't buddy complex the one that was literally written by committee?

I heard rumors that it was, and I wouldn't find it too surprising if it were true.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I finally got around to finishing The Big O for the first time. Man, this show is seriously cool and good. I absolutely loved the film noir style, which even went as far back to referencing noir's ancestors with films like Metropolis.

That ending was sure something. I take it that Roger's past really is unknowable? And Paradigm City was ultimately stuck in some kind of loop controlled by Big Venus?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Honestly, episode 14 might be my favorite in The Big O. The metafictional aspects of the second season in general were really pretty interesting though, and they remind me a lot of Evangelion even if that show used similar ideas for entirely different reasons.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 7, 2015

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm about eight episodes into Shin Mazinger. So uh is this thing ever going to pick up, like at all?

Like the initial two or three episodes seemed promising enough, but it just keeps dragging on now.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Oct 11, 2015

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

Code Geass OZ just made me think of a crossover between Code Geass and Gundam Wing. And now I really want it to be true, because adding that much insanity together can only yield awesome results.

Well there's always Super Robot Wars Z2, which features Code Geass and Gundam Wing together.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Reds posted:

It does. Particularly after the Lorelei arc.

I just finished the Saluud arc, and I think it has picked up already if only because the Kurogane House characters are going back into the background a little. I don't think I've ever found characters so boring before, jesus.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Well poo poo, I've been meaning to watch Full Metal Panic soon anyways. Guess this is a good excuse to start sooner rather than later.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I like giraffes. I like petting them at the zoo. They are good animals.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hey, let's not forget about the world's greatest cinematic masterpiece that is Hades Project Zeorymer.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Zeorymer is a ridiculous show but in a way that I find quite enjoyable to watch.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

a kitten posted:

No, this one.

I never knew Char was endorsed by Red Bull.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Gyra_Solune posted:

i presume wings make you go thrice as fast

:golfclap:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hitchcock's Saboteur is the absolute last thing I would have expected to be an influence on G Gundam.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I just watched that Delta preview thing. The only other bit of Macross I've seen is a couple episodes of the original 80's show.

I feel very, very lost.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Droyer posted:

I disagree. I thought it was fun

It took the craziness just far enough for me to like it despite not really getting it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I finally finished Shin Mazinger. I'm still not really seeing in it what everyone else sees, though the second half of the show was better than the first half I guess. Overall I wouldn't recommend it to anyone that wasn't already a fan of the franchise.

I think the main thing bout the show is that it lives and dies on the Kurogane House characters. If you don't care about them, then all of the screentime they have is a bit tedious.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Feb 7, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I like Zeorymer because it basically stars proto-Lelouch.

I'd love to see a remake that is actually good.

EDIT: Also I've started watching through Space Runaway Ideon.

Oh Tomino.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Feb 8, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I now need a SRW that mostly consists of Lelouch and Masaki trying to out bullshit each other for the entire game.

Please Banpresto, make it happen.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Droyer posted:

Yeah I'm sure they made a show only so that it could be in the videogame series that started seven years later

Of course, it was planned years in advance by the evil personality that sometimes hijacks Terada.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Monaghan posted:

This guy is 100% correct, we need new gaogaigar :colbert:.

I haven't seen the show but the mere mention of GaoGaiGar makes me kind of miss Clawshrimpy.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Big O's ending owns. It's a cool twist on the nonlinear storytelling noir films typically employ.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Oh cool, I quite like MJP.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So I picked Space Runaway Ideon back up.

Oh Tomino. :allears:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Space Runaway Ideon Episode 23 - Okay, "Kitty Kitten" is an unusual name even for Tomino.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

D'awwwww the squirrel has his own little spacesuit.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Midjack posted:

After you finish watch both episodes of Ideon/off. They're on YouTube, in two parts each.
Thanks, I'll make sure to check them out.

I do think it's amusing how much of an rear end in a top hat everyone is in the series proper though. Cosmo gets seriously injured and is crying about his girlfriend Kitty Kitten being murdered and most of everyone is just like "UGGGHHHHH WOULD YOU STOP WHINING ALREADY JESUS".

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah my biggest criticism of the show so far is how much it seems to rely on formulaic Monster of the Week stuff. That's not inherently bad, though the way Space Runaway Ideon does it is quite repetitive (Though some of the battles are really cool. I liked the one where the Buff Clan guys tried to hijack the Ideon).

I can't help but compare it to the TV version of Mobile Suit Gundam. It could fall into MotW territory at times too, though I personally I think it had a stronger setting and cast that kind of made up for it.

EDIT: You know I almost think Space Runaway Ideon would have been better as a game in the style of Zone of the Enders or something. You're a single overpowered robot that progressively gets crazier and crazier weapons, swarms of crazy enemies are always flying after you, you could make tactical choices between separating and combining etc.

EDIT 2: Episode 33 - Huh, deciding if someone is a traitor or not based on a literal coin flip is certainly one method for determining that, I guess.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 28, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It's 4 AM and I just finished Space Runaway Ideon. So, uh, what the gently caress was that ending? Joliver and Karala appear to be dead, and then they seem to be saved by the Ide, and then poo poo just starts exploding and Karala is suddenly naked in space, and then babies are just flying everywhere through the galaxy like it's 2001 and I'm just...what? I think I'm just too tired to make any sense of this at the moment. Good show though.

Gonna try and watch A Contact and Be Invoked tomorrow...er, later today.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I've watched both movies now. A Contact does about as well as squeezing 32ish episodes into 85 minutes as you can reasonably expect. Loses some good moments and characterization from the series, but still.

Be Invoked is pretty good, though I was a bit surprised at how ungory it was. Like yeah there are those gifs of the one toddler getting his head shot clean off and such, but just hearing people describe the movie led me to believe the whole thing was going to be like that, when no, it's really only a few brief moments out of a 98 minute movie that are like that. Still a good watch, though I can't help but feel slightly underwhelmed after hearing descriptions of it for a few years now.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Midjack posted:

Now Ideon/Off!
It's a bit rough around the edges but I got a few solid laughs out of this! Thanks for sharing!