Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Huh, racism was totally the last thing I expected Getter Robo Go to explore. I mean christ, all that's missing is the guy talking about how he wants to Make America Great Again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I don't think it was mentioned in this thread, but apparently someone went and finished translating the second volume of Great Mazinger about a month ago. Search around the usual places and you'll likely find it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

This dream episode of Super Dimension Fortress Macross (Episode 17) was super legit and probably my favorite one in the show so far. The way it spliced together old footage together to tell a story about Hikaru's concerns, conflated the Zentradi guy with Minmay's cousin, cut from Minmay singing into the Zentradi theme song suddenly etc., were all super cool. Reminded me of the Instrumentality episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion and episode 14 of The Big O in particular.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Episode 18 - P-pineapple salad... :smith:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Man, Hikaru went full edgelord there for a little bit.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Just finished SDF myself. I really liked it overall, and actually enjoyed the last chunk of episodes quite a bit.

The whole series kind of felt like what I'd imagine a (good) Gundam AU would have looked like in the 80's. Like there's clearly an influence from 0079 here, but the show very much has its own identity which I liked.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 7, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I watched Macross Zero over the past two days myself, on kind of a whim. I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. The characters weren't particularly substantive, but I didn't find them completely terrible either. I thought the general aesthetic of the whole Mayan Island to be quite beautiful, and I even dug the CGI mechs (The solid fight choreography helped here a lot, probably).

The show kind of seemed like a strange mix between RahXephon and Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet, though I liked it more than either of those.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I watched Macross: Do You Remember Love? today. I think it was pretty good, though I think I ultimately prefer SDF's take on the story that focused more on the cultural shifts, integration etc., the side characters (Focker, Global, the Three Zentradi Stooges, the bridge girls, Max and Millia, etc.) and a little less exclusively on the love triangle. That being said DYRL was a still a really nice watch, and had some utterly gorgeous animation. The redesigns of the Macross itself and Zentradi were just wonderful. Ultimately I'm glad both versions can coexist.

I also watched Flash Back 2012. That's about all I have to say about it.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 2, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I finished Getter Robo Arc today. I see why people were frustrated by the cliffhanger, though I liked the weird note it ultimately ended on. It even kind of fits the themes of endless progress almost, that this story can't simply have a conclusive ending because of humanity always pushing itself forward with new incarnations of the Getter Robo (In a way it reminds me of some stuff that I read about Shin Mazinger's ending, even though I didn't like that anime much).

I liked it and the whole saga in general. I wasn't a huge fan of the original Getter Robo or Getter Robo G, but I enjoyed Shin, Go, and finally Arc quite a bit. Shin and Arc especially add a little depth to the first two manga even, which I appreciated.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Read volume 2 of Great Mazinger today. The last few panels seem...oddly subdued, I guess, for Nagai.

I'm not sure he intended it to be colored like this, but I like the look used in the last 20 or so pages.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Droyer posted:

Don't watch Waiting for Godot
Speaking of people sitting around and waiting, I watched Voices of a Distant Star and now I'm loving sad. :smith:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I've been watching FMP for the first time recently and have been enjoying it quite a bit, FWIW.

a kitten posted:

It's very good at that for being all of 30 minutes long.
I just read that Shinkai did all of the animation by himself. :stare:

That it is even watchable is a god damned miracle.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

At this point I just accept I have different tastes than people here do when it comes to recent anime. I really enjoyed Delta and had a lot of fun watching it, but you couldn't pay me to sit through Shin Mazinger again and most people here seem to love that.

Anyways, I've been continuing through Full Metal Panic. The first anime was quite good- I thought it did a pretty good job going back and forth between comedy hijinx and people dying meaningless deaths. I'm halfway through Fumoffu now and am enjoying it, but its weird not seeing anyone dead after several episodes.

Also did anyone else watch the recent Majestic Prince OVA? Trying to set up ~THE NEXT GENERATION~ was a fairly strange direction for that franchise to take, I feel.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 14, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Iserlohn posted:

Yo. You've mentioned your disdain for Shin Mazinger a few times, and this is some pretty heavy criticism for a show that, in my opinion, excels in a number of categories. What did you not like about it?
A combination of a couple of things. I didn't find the vast majority of the characters at all interesting or particularly fun to watch (The Kurogane House characters in particular did not work at all for me, and they dominate a pretty significant chunk of the show), and the convoluted scheming and counter-scheming was quite dull. It seemed to get very expositional at times too and IMO was not very strong dramatically outside of a few moments. Can't say I found any of the action particularly memorable either.

Perhaps my expectations were too high for a Mazinger Z adaptation. Flaws that I'm willing to forgive in Nagai's 40+ year old manga are a bit harder for me to get past in an anime made in 2009.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 15, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Sharkopath posted:

busterrrrrrrr....
Your sheer enthusiasm for DieBuster is going to make me give it another chance one of these days.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

GorfZaplen posted:

Why not today
Gonna clear some more of my backlog first.

My main issue when I first watched it was that it didn't really feel like more GunBuster and that's what I wanted, but it was a flawed approach to a show that was trying to be different.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think my favorite scene in Thunderbolt was added in for the movie version.

It's when Daryl's robot hand starts shaking uncontrollably at the very end. It seems like despite everything he sacrificed to defeat the Gundam, his mechanical limbs are already beginning to fail him.

It's a somber but effective note to end on. :smith:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Even ignoring some important thematic bits that were cut (Rossiu's character is just gutted), the TTGL movies make some odd decisions from what I remember. Doesn't the second movie begin with the Lordgenome fight?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

tsob posted:

Is there any anime (or tv show in general) featuring digitising humans that doesn't indict it?
It's not exactly digital but Lost, depending on how you interpret it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Still gotta start The Second Raid here soon myself, but that's extremely good news. So glad we don't have to wait until 2020 or whatever like some doom and gloomers were predicting.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It almost doesn't matter since whatever the hell was going on was basically undone with time travel anyways.

I wouldn't even mind that so much if the characters were a bit less cardboard.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

That's a drat shame. RIP.

gently caress 2016.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I've been watching and enjoying Getter Robo Armageddon as I play catch up for SRWV.

It's pretty fun. It feels like a really loose adaptation of the Go manga so far, though Go himself seems to be completely different characters between both stories.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Srice posted:

I like it a lot, it's a bummer that Imagawa got the boot after setting up a big cliffhanger, but for the most part I'm pleased with the haphazard way the various staff shuffling around were able to pick up the pieces. The action stays slick as hell throughout.
So is there any word on what happened here with Imagawa? The Wikipedia article is a bit vague.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Gyra_Solune posted:

Yeah I presume the intent was basically 'what has even been relevant in the 2010s' and in truth it's been sort of a rough time for the biggest projects. AGE and Reconguista both kinda flopped, Macross Delta was a disappointment, Eva 3.0 wasn't that great either, soooo
I thought Rebuild 3.0 was one of the better films of I saw in 2012 and by far the most interesting thing done with the franchise since EoE came out. :shrug:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Since I'm caught up more or less on the stuff I wanted to watch before SRWV hits, I decided to finally check out the first episode of Macross 7.

Seems like it'll be my jam. I thought the fakeout with the vampire imagery with Basara hanging upside down was weird at first, though it turned into quite the stage entrance.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

You know it just occurred to me that Max's name is literally Ma(cross).

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Macross 7 update:

:allears:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

Let me put it in the easiest way I can: it's a series whose main moral is that the previous series' main moral was completely wrong and its big bad was actually right all along.
That actually makes the show sound interesting.

I should add I've never seen AO or the original show though.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Wait Ginguiser was a real show? I thought it was some kind of fake meme.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Droyer posted:

The Majestic Prince movie has been subbed and is on nyaa now. It was a lot of fun! It had the same comedic style as the tv show and the action was really good. If you enjoyed the show you should def. check it out.
Hell yeah I know what I'm watching today.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I like how the MJP movie is about how wonderful graffiti is.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The main villain of Buddy Complex will never not be hilarious to me with how pathetic he is.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah, Paradigm City might as well be the ruins of Fritz Lang's Metropolis.

The way it uses the stuff that influenced noir on top of noir itself was super good.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Getter Robo Armageddon is cool and good.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

As flawed as the Getter manga are I will always find it hilarious that their backstory just straight up contains The Andromeda Strain.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm about halfway through Full Metal Panic Fumoffu, and I think they forgot to put robots in this show.
That's probably because it doesn't have robots.

It does have the glory of Bonta-kun, however.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I really liked the moment in The Second Raid where Sosuke, after finally beginning to truly connect with Chidori, gets the e-mail announcing he's being relieved of protecting her and isn't allowed to see her anymore. He just quietly reads the e-mail in an uncomfortably long amount of time before just punching the computer to loving death and losing his poo poo in a way we hadn't really see him do before.

That this all happens after he's already begun to have doubts about his life in the military, the usefulness of the Arbalest in battle etc. is good too.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I finished Macross 7 today. I know people say its a little too long as is, but dammit I found myself still wanting a little more even after finishing the dope OVA about the whales. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

PoD kind of feels like the type of story Nadesico set out to satirize to begin with, but played without much of the self-awareness that made the show stand out. Ruri is made the lead and doesn't work too well in that role, Akito has become an edgy 90's XTREME humorless character, Yurika is barely in the movie etc.

I think its worth watching at least once just for how infamous it is.