Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Synthbuttrange posted:

I've only ever seen the original Macross, Plus, Two and DYRL. I've seen summaries of the other Macross shows which kinda seem super out there but what ones are worth taking a look at in 2023?

Frontier is excellent. The three main leads are all really strong, likable characters and the romance is one of the better and more unique romances I've seen in any TV show.

Macross 7 absolutely kicks rear end, great characters, great music, just do be forewarned there's a stretch of like ten episodes that's just "Listen to my song!" "Anima spiritia, eeeeee!" over and over again

but both are definitely worth watching

Ardeem posted:

My biggest problem with Delta is that the first/pilot episode sets up a fantastic premise and a bunch of interesting characters, and then the production staff got rearranged and a different writing team brought in and none of the characters were the same people we'd been shown. It was the writing equivalent of going from a PS1 FMV to actual gameplay.

Jesus christ, the battle dancing and idols descending into an active warzone on rocket skirts is so good and such a natural evolution of Macross. And then episode 2 starts and you never se that poo poo again. Delta does have a pretty nice lesbian relationship, but not much else going for it, aside from being "more Macross"

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Dec 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

They just announced the Macross 2 Blu-ray will have the dub.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

They said “the dub” so I assume they meant the existing one.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The best small mech fights are in Girls und Panzer

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Light Gun Man posted:

let the gunbuster gals pilot getter machines

let Miorine and Suletta pilot the Gunbuster

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The three rhetorical styles: logos, pathos, and moe

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Nuebot posted:

I like how the dub for Escaflowne's opening song was just "Esca...flowne." over and over again too. Also Big O! Big O, Big O, Big O!

The first time someone hears the full version of the Big O theme is such a revelation. It was a Queen song the whole time!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The real problem with Shin is that the first OP is so good it totally overshadows the second OP, which is unfair because the second OP is quite good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm usually not terrible impressed by the mecha designs in American comics, but I saw this, and check that green guy out. That is a robot designed by someone who has watched Zeta Gundam. There is no other explanation

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I was thinking about how to explain the twist in BBBB to non-mecha fans who may not quite "get" the switch from real robot to super robot, and I realized it's basically if halfway through Independence Day, it turned out that Will Smith's character was Superman.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

yeah

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Cross Ange is a sleazy women in prison movie that's also a fantasy mecha anime series

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Overman King Gainer is extremely good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Bravern lasted precisely as long as it could on the combination of its premise of “what if a robot was gay for its pilot” and its refusal to engage with that premise past the surface joke level.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

hirai's designs worked great in s-CRY-ed

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I was going to suggest a Gundam isekai, but then I realized a story about a character losing their home and everything they know and being transported to a world of war and Mobile Suits has already been done multiple times in regular Gundam.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

My local shop had the Falguen and 3 Gelfs set on sale so I bought it and now I feel like I should watch Dragonar.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

chiasaur11 posted:

Having watched a few episodes, Dragonar is basically if Gundam was GI Joe.

Is that good?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Synthbuttrange posted:

lmao that he didnt go straight to the medbay and just went over to Claudia's place to bleedout all over her couch

some people just love drama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Schwarzwald posted:

A full two cours probably would have been too much, but 12 episodes was too little. The last five or so episodes really felt like it was scrambling to fit everything in.

To me it felt more like they were running out of steam with the main joke and went and wrapped it up before it started to drag