Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Gunbuster is absolutely a fantastic show, but I have really mixed feelings about Diebuster. It just wasn't as good a show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Droyer posted:

I disagree. Despite their many obvious similarities, I think Gunbuster and Diebuster are different enough both stylistically and thematically to be difficult to compare, which I think is to Diebuster's credit. If Diebuster had simply been a retread of Gunbuster it would have been a clearly inferior product, but it is instead an intentionally different product, and is great by its own right.

I definitely agree with you when you say they are both very different shows, and I agree that it's too Diebuster's credit that it is different.
It's just, even when based fully on it's own merits, I still don't think Diebuster was that good a show.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hbomberguy posted:

Otaku No Video is certainly my go-to example for their autocriticism, but Gunbuster manages it too with its very specific approach to nudity. Characters consistently are just sort of naked and it's not a thing anyone points out, reacts to or notices. IIRC no-one is embarrassed by their body ever.

That's explicitly not true, though. There's a seen when Noriko, Kazumi, and Jung are bathing, when some passing soldiers peek in on them through the window from their RX robots.

I really find it hard to believe that there is anything to the nudity aside from the people at Gainax liking tits.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

wielder posted:

Curiously enough, the original version of Gunbuster apparently had a somewhat explicit shot of full frontal nudity that was only included in the laserdisc (?) release and mysteriously cut from the rest. I guess it might have gone too far for Japanese censorship laws or something along those lines.

The scene your thinking of showed Noriko's pubic hair.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
drat. What happened in that episodes?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Definitely relevant to this conversation is Space Runaway Ideon, which is loving brutal in its depiction of the deaths of innocent bystanders as a result of the conflicts that the space ships and one gigantic robot bring upon everything around them.

Ideon is particularly interesting in the context of spiritual mecha, like GimmickMan mentioned earlier:

GimmickMan posted:

My problem with mecha is that sometimes it fetishizes technology in a way that is almost spiritual, as if all we had to do is put our faith in technology progressing fast enough that it will somehow solve all of the world's problems.

Ideon is basically the epitome of the concept, as it is literally a spiritual machine--and the show repeatedly emphasizes how that is a horrible thing.

The Ideon (or, at least, the power animating the Ideon) actually does manage to solve all of humanities problems. It's not a solution you'd want.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

boom boom boom posted:

Macross Delta is about an idol team, anime is saved

Macross has always been about idols, though.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

boom boom boom posted:

They weren't the pilots before!

Macross 7.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
In a major plot twist, while the villains believe they have kidnapped Ranka and Sheryl, they have in fact taken Gen Fudo and Gen Fudo (2).

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Zeorymer is probably my favorite terrible 80's OVA.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Artum posted:

That's the one where they had a car that basically mass shifts and transforms with an infinite improbability drive no?

That was Braiger, the first J9 show. The second show featured flying motorcycles that also mass shift into a giant robot. The third featured a space train.

I've been slowly making my through Braiger, and I've been enjoying it quite a bit. While it's definitely a formula show, it's a very different formula then most other super robot shows I've seen. I get the feeling that it's very much a genre show, I just don't recognize the genre.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It's barely a robot show. It's mostly about mercenary vigilantes taking on various criminal empires, where the vigilantes win by virtue of being better organized, trained, and equipped. It just so happens that part of being better equipped is having a flying hot rod/giant robot.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I've been intending on watching through Ideon again as soon as Universal Quantifier finished their retranslation.

I don't remember the details of too many individual episodes, but it was around the Kitty Kitten episode that my opinion of Ideon changed from it being an above average robot show to something considerably greater.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Kanos posted:

Be Invoked kind of grew into meme status with people making gifs of the conflict at the end and youtube videos of all the deaths in the movie cut together, which makes people who haven't seen it assume that it's a nonstop murderfest.

I mean, the movie does feature the near eradication of two human species, whereupon the survivors destroy each other out of fear and hopelessness.

It may be mostly bloodless, but it sure is hell is bleak.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ImpAtom posted:

It's also going to have Cross Ange though so y'know, monkey paw wishes.

It also has Might Gaine, so it's not a total wash.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm so sad they removed the mega hours long video of all mecha anime openings from the 80s.

I actually have a copy of that, and two others for 60's/70's and the 90's.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
What's the best way to upload a few gigabyte sized files, now days? Just make a torrent? I don't know how much I could seed.

Edit: I'll look into Dailymotion,

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I uploaded the 60s and 70s collection, here:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4swzw5

I actually can't upload the 80s collection on Dailymotion! They don't accept videos over an hour.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
That's just a model kit. That man is posing in front of a plamo.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Sharkopath posted:

The masterpiece liger came out already and that's not it, that's a new design.

I was thinking more of a really well painted older kit.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The box art looks more like a 3d model than an actual toy.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I've been slowly watching through Braiger over the past couple months. I'm up to about episode 25; Khamen Khamen was introduced a few episodes ago.

Braiger isn't all that good on the whole, but certain parts of it are fantastic, especially the setting. The governments of Earth are all at various levels of corruption, outer space seems to be primarily run by different corporations, and both are in the pockets of territorial crime syndicates based around the major population centers. J9 exists as this extra-legal authority that'll lend some muscle to help the little people stand up to the various criminals (for a very negotiable fee!), which is cool dynamic.

On top of that, the visual design is absolute lunacy, in the best sense. There are domed cities on the asteroid belt and on the moons of Jupiter, and space truckers drive between them on their space semi trucks. People are as likely to pilot a space fighter-jet as drive ordinary space cars, and (of course) the Braiger can transform into both.

The quality of any particular episode vary heavily. A recent favorite involved the DJ of a pirate radio station being murdered after he used his broadcast to alert space truckers to police checkpoints. While maybe heavy-handed and a little over-dramatic, it did a remarkable job of building sympathy for the dead man and selling the villains as utter bastards. At the end, the space truckers, furious over the murder, surround the corrupt police chief and allow J9 to deal the final blow. It was a drat satisfying pay off.

This was followed almost immediately by an episode about a rock and roll band holding a benefit concert. A bad guy steals the donation money and kidnaps the lead guitarists little sister, but J9 kills the baddy and saves the girl. Altogether astonishingly dull.

I honestly don't know how well I can recommend the show. While a few episodes are really fascinating, the average episode isn't too great. The mecha fights are outright bad, as is most of the action. There isn't any real overarching storyline (although that might be changing with the introduction of Khamen Khamen).

What is does have is a very different and a very interesting setting, and the show is at it's best when it really explores it.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 10, 2016

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

tsob posted:

Is there any anime (or tv show in general) featuring digitising humans that doesn't indict it?

I don't know about anime or tv show, but Neil Gaiman's short story Goliath is, if not necessarily favorable, then at least very permissive of the concept.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

I need to find time to rewatch G-Gundam.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Sharkopath posted:

Mobile MOBA.

Of course it is.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I just finished watching the last episode of Braiger. I'll probably give a full write up of what I thought of the latter episodes and the series as a whole in a few days.

In brief: the latter episodes really focus hard on the interplay between the Earth government and the various criminal organizations, and the show is much better for it. There are some really strong episodes toward the end, and the final four or so episodes are extremely tight--surprisingly so given the rest of the show. The climax is biblical.

Still, I would hesitate before recommending someone watch the whole series. Most episodes are just not that good. The few stand out episodes are fantastic, though.

I'm thinking next I'll start watching either Daitarn 3, Daltanius or the first half of Raideen.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to which I should watch first?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Here comes a giant-rear end mega post about a thirty-year-old robot cartoon. Buckle up, motherfuckers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov6QB4gWK3A

Previous post: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3742843&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=26#post465196644

What's different in these last episodes:

The biggest change in the latter episodes is the introduction to the character Khamen Khamen, who after a series of assassinations emerges as the new leader of the Nubia Connection, one of the four major criminal organizations of Earth. While most episodes feature one of the criminal Connections as the antagonists, Khamen Khamen differs in a few significant ways. For one, he's much more ambitious. While the other connections have grown complacent in their strength and are content in petty efforts to fill their own pockets, Khamen Khamen mobilizes his organization in an effort to seize political control of Earth and the Solar System at large. For another, he's much more brazen than most. While some connection thugs will commit crimes openly secure that the police can't touch them, Khamen Khamen rolls his tanks into a country and takes over the government, secure that the world community will turn a blind eye. Third, he's far more capable. It's not necessarily difficult to be the smartest villain in a show where most baddies are petty thugs, but the show still manages to sell Khamen Khamen as a genuinely intelligent person and a capable strategist.

Khamen Khamen features in every episode past his introduction. This is actually handled kind of awkwardly at first. I suspect the decision to make Khamen Khamen the lead villain was made somewhat suddenly, and that the writers had to find a way to shoe him in. These are kind of a last hurrah to the episodic early episodes, and once they're over the show really begins to pick up in quality.

This is most evident in Storm of the Carnival part 1 and 2, which are episodes 27 and 28. It's the first two parter in the show and surprisingly excellent. It's also, I later learned, somewhat infamous in Japanese mecha fandom.

The plot:

Note: past this point there will be spoilers. I am not going to mark them, mostly because I suspect anyone who is actually interested enough in this 30-year-old robot cartoon has probably already been spoiled concerning anything relevant--and was likely only interested in Braiger to begin with because they've been spoiled. However, if you're the one person that actually wants to watch Braiger and doesn't know what's coming up, be warned! Hamlet dies. Rosebud is the sled. Omachi does a gently caress and Jupiter explodes.

Storm of the Carnival takes place during the Asteroid Carnival, a kind of Mardi Gras of the asteroid belt. There are huge parades, music concerts featuring the biggest rockers in the solar system, and backroom deals between the major Connections. J9 is hired by a young boy who's father, a music producer, has recently gone missing. This is troubling because more than a few music producers have been turning up dead--actually prominent Connection members in disguise. The team splits up to search for leads.

Omachi is spotted snooping around and get's shot with a poisoned dart for her efforts, only to be saved by a handsome man with medical training, who happens to be attending the Asteroid Carnival on business. Omachi falls for her rescuer, and despite his frankly unbelievable level of obliviousness to her advances, she eventually coaxes him into bed. This is the first on-screen sex scene in television anime.

Written out like this, you might be able to guess where things are going. Omachi's rescuer is both the missing father and the assassin who has been taking out the various leaders of the Connection. The reason he acted so clueless was because he's the man who shot her to begin with and had reservations about having sex under such incredibly false pretenses.

It's more than a little contrived, but it is an incredible step up from anything before. It also sets up a common theme that continues through out the rest of the show: the other Connections are slowly being taken out, and Khamen Khamen's Nubia Connection is growing in their place.

I won't be going through any other episodes in as much detail, but I will sum up a few cool things that happen before getting to the big finale. The first is the method Khamen Khamen takes out the rival Red Dragon Connection: he hires J9. Government agents come to hire J9 because they need people who they are certain won't be recognized to help end a kidnapping ring that the Red Dragon Connection is involved with. J9 complies, they assassinate the leaders of Red Dragon over the course of the mission, and they never learn that their employers were actually the Nubia Connection.

The second is the war between the Nubia Connection and the Omega Connection over the weapon factories on planet Mercury. Unlike basically every other conflict in the show, which is basically between Braiger and a handful of enemy mecha, this a full scale battle between fleets. The weapon manufacturers hire J9 to assassinate the leaders of both Connections to end the conflict, and while J9 is loathe to work for war profiteers they accept on the belief that either connection gaining control of Mercury would be a disaster. J9 succeeds at taking out the Omega Connection (the leaders of which are stand-ins for the Zabi family. Kid quips as he corners the last surviving leader, "Circumstances, man, it's out of our control. Blame it on the misfortune of being born into a Connection.") but fails at killing Khamen Khamen, instead killing a body double. The Nubia Connection then flees the battle with Mercury's latest and most powerful weapon.

Khamen Khamen then uses the weapon to blow up Jupiter. This is the big finale.

One thing I haven't touched on with regards to Khamen Khamen earlier is that he believes God speaks to him, specifically the "Great God Atum." Atum wants more Earth-like planets, and the giant planet Jupiter happens to have plenty of mass from which to build those planets. As it happens, exploding Jupiter will coat the whole solar system is lethal radiation, which suits Khamen Khamen fine: all he has to do is evacuate his chosen people from the solar system, and bring them back in to inhabit the new planets. Atum doesn't care, as long as he gets his planets. There is, in fact, a massive exodus away from Earth and all remaining governments and connections fall to anarchy as they await the end of the world.

The last handful of episodes may as well be from an entirely different show. J9 is totally out of their league and it's already too late to prevent Jupiter from exploding. The best they can hope for is to construct a shield of debris around Jupiter to contain the radiation, but the only way to create that much debris is to tow in several moons and blow those up as well. Nothing else in the show comes close to the sheer scale of this crisis. While they do eventually save the Earth, they don't hesitate to explain that a lot of people died in the effort. Hell, the last scene of the show is Isaac mournfully explaining to his semi-adopted kid that beloved comedy relief character, Poncho Poncho, is in all likelihood quite dead.

Actually, that's a lie. The actual last scene of the show is Poncho Poncho swimming in a pile of gold surrounded by beautiful, naked women. God bless you, Poncho Poncho.

Conclusion:

So, having watched all of it, would I recommend the show?

Probably not. There are some really strong moments in the show, but as a whole it really is not that great. And even then, the parts that are good are mostly good in the context of the rest of the show. Seeing Poncho survive rich as Croesus is only as funny as it is because the rest of the series played him up as a greedy jerk who's bad with money. Seeing the Astroid Belt explode is only as powerful as it is because the rest of the series established it as a place where people live, love and die. Khamen Khamen comes across as cool and powerful as he does in part because every other villain is such a joke.

I really enjoyed watching the show, but I can recognize its flaws. If I'm being truthful, what's good and cool about Braiger doesn't outweigh what's boring about Braiger.

Having said that, the degree in which the show improved over the course of it's run time leaves me very hopeful for it's sequel, Baxinger. Hopefully, by the time I'm done watching the first arc of Raideen, it'll be fully translated.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Light Gun Man posted:

I kinda really love the ending to Braiger for some reason. Yo man I heard a bunch of people are just gonna like, take off into space, let's do that too!

It makes sense. J9 was there as a check on the Connections and government corruption. Now the Connections are gone, the government is in shambles, and J9 is left as this remnant of a previous age. gently caress it, let's go to space and leave Earth to the next generation! (And stay tuned next week for Baxinger: J9 the next generation!)

GimmickMan posted:

I remember when Khamen Khamen explained his goals in SRW Alpha Gaiden and it seemed really crazy and coming out of nowhere even by SRW standards. Good to know it is only slightly more sensible in the original series. Khamen Khamen is a fabulous jerk with a neat BGM and the reason I kind of sort of wanted to watch Braiger a few years ago but. Knowing he only shows up a while in, I never quite got around to it.

I really should make a list of worthwhile episodes, because there is some good stuff in Braiger after you trim the fat.
If all you want to see is Khamen Khamen blow up a planet, just watch from episode 34 to 39.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I remembered something else very good(?) about Braiger: J9 has a carrier ship for the mecha. It has it's own name and everything (though hell if I can remember it) and later on they make a point of showing the Braiger launching from it specifically, rather than just from the asteroid base in general.

It stays docked the entire series.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Dessel posted:

I guess I should start checking for more of the golden classics. I am genuinely wondering though whether I have a subjective bias in thinking there's a lack of actual new and good mecha IP or is this a trend the genre fans acknowledge?

There are periods where there will be a handful of excellent shows in a single year and periods where years go by and most things are merely mediocre. Besides that, mecha shows as a whole are not as popular as they were in there heyday, so there's less of them being made in general. I think most fans will agree that the genre has been in a decline, and has been since around after SEED Destiny.

You're right that there are a lot of older shows available, though. I noticed you haven't mentioned Giant Robo. You should watch that. Watch Giant Robo.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 7, 2017

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

For reference, that's Giant Robo.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Captain Rufus posted:

Shin Mazinger and Battlestar Galactica proved a good revamp can not only refresh but reinvigorate an old IP.

I loved Shin Mazinger but it was not a success by most measures.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Captain Rufus posted:

Apparently we do in fact live in the shittiest loving timeline don't we?

What kind of world is it where Shin Mazinger isn't successful?

A WORLD FULL OF TRUMPY MOE rear end gently caress THAT'S WHAT KIND OF WORLD IT IS. :argh:

I really have mixed thoughts about the show. I think I love it more for the kind of show it tried to be more than the show it actually was.

dogsicle posted:

moe is good. any recommendations on a moe robot show?

Diebuster.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
When the first general Mecha thread was created in ADTRW maybe a decade ago, back when there were hardly any mecha fan translations, I remember a few shows that were highly talked up by the few posters who had actually seen them in Japan. Most of them, like Zambot 3 and Ideon, have since been completely fansubbed (and refansubbed), and others, like Reideen, are still being worked on.

But one show I remember that was particularly highly recommended back then was GoShogun, which, outside of one episode in 2009, has never been translated or had any sustained fan effort put toward being translated.

It's just been fully licensed by Discotek, and the full series and movie will be available this June.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-03-03/discotek-licenses-goshogun-tv-anime-goshogun-the-time-etranger-film/.112975

https://www.facebook.com/Discotekmedia/photos/a.196378827057886.55668.147168055312297/1600664309962657/?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/Discotekmedia/photos/a.196378827057886.55668.147168055312297/1600659809963107/?type=3&theater

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 4, 2017

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
So I guess this is a thing.

Anime News Network posted:

A ground-breaking new collaboration, titled the "Miracle Robot Force", was announced to celebrate the 40th anniversaries of four different mecha anime broadcast between 1976 and 1977. The anime production companies Eiken, Wako, and Nippon Animation will cross boundaries to commemorate the shows UFO Senshi Daiapolon, Chogattai Majutsu Robot Ginguiser, Gasshin Sentai Mechander Robo, and Blocker Corps IV: Machine Blaster. The collaboration began on April 3 and is planned to last for around one year.

It doesn't seem to be leading to any actual new animation, but how often is Ginguiser in the news?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/int...t-force/.114294

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Raxivace posted:

Wait Ginguiser was a real show? I thought it was some kind of fake meme.

Like many series from that time, the show was real but the budget was fake.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gyra_Solune posted:

i also want the plot to explicitly be 'well gently caress we can't get any of the super robots anyone cared about to fix this, uhhh, you four, i guess', and that they're totally self-aware that as far as 70s robot anime goes, these four are the absolute bottom of the barrel

That'd be miserable. You have to play that kind of thing straight.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I've been making my way through Raideen.

It has its moments.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mimir posted:

I loved Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still.

Is Getter Robo: Armageddon worth watching? Should I just watch the Imagawa episodes and stop there?

The Imagawa episodes are quite good, but after that there are only a handful of cool moments (admittedly, quite cool) spread over the remaining ten episodes. As a whole, it's mostly just OK.

I'll highly recommend the Getter Robo Go manga, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Droyer posted:

I'm pretty down on Armageddon myself but that's mostly due to both being a huge Imagawa fan and a huge getter manga fan and finding it disappointing in those respects, so it's probably still worth watching.

Just about every super robot fan should read Getter Robo Go.