Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
oh yes, I love gladiator voltron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Shin Mazinger is a fantastic 13 episode series that is unfortunately 26 episodes long. Still, it's highs are pretty drat high.

Siegkrow posted:

I still want Shin Great Mazinger.

100%

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Original Mazinger is wild for like, not quite being a super robot show in the way they'd become. Feels almost Hanna-Barbera at times.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

RangerKarl posted:

Bang Bravern raws are out and it is exactly what we thought Obari would put out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zkg_03wzNKQ

yeah the OP looks exactly like what you'd expect "an Obari anime but in the '20s" to look like

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 11, 2024

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I never watched Cross Ange but presuming that it's a fantasy/mecha take on the "female prisoner" genre I'd assume terrible fetish stuff is par for the course.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Just because you really are the half-human son of the devil king doesn't mean you're not cringe.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'm almost five years too late (jc) but I just finished Granbelm and I have concluded that I was a fool for sleeping on that.

Also watched Bravern and that was okay too I guess.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Fafnir is this huge blind spot for me. It's been going on and off since 2004, it's had 64 episodes across three series, three films, a 9 volume manga, and I simply know nothing about it. Every so often I see a clip of it and think "oh, that looks rad."

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Blaze Dragon posted:

EDIT: New (I think?) Grendizer U trailer that Youtube helpfully suggested to me. The editting in it is so insane that I can't tell what's going on but hey, we have the protagonists and Mazinger Z's around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4MYXdte9MM

It's weird to imagine Fukuda directing a not just a super robot show but a classic Go Nagai style super robot show ityool 2024. That said, the various enemy Grendizer designs do look kind of cool?

No chance in hell this won't be a mess but maybe it'll be a fun mess?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Oh, that is the Shin Mazinger Z design, ain't it?

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 3, 2024

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
my friends please truly consider how much you want a shin great mazinger connected to a fukuda production

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

RangerKarl posted:

As I understand it it's just a remake of the OP, ED and a scene from the show. it's not going to be a full thing.

Just an experiment/test bed kind of thing, then?

Iserlohn posted:

I always thought it was weird Sunrise never jumped on the isekai bandwagon and revived Dunbine.

To be fair, Dunbine as it exists (existed?) is very unlike the modern popular form of isekai.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
A full two cours probably would have been too much, but 12 episodes was too little. The last five or so episodes really felt like it was scrambling to fit everything in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gripweed posted:

To me it felt more like they were running out of steam with the main joke and went and wrapped it up before it started to drag

Either or, really. Bravern trying to find humor in the juxtaposition of a "real world" militia and a magic super robot had the show feel like it was walking a tight rope at times. Ideally, it'd have taken the time to handle some parts better, but odds are it would have slipped if it tried for any more.