Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Srice posted:

Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still
Macross Plus
Patlabor (OVA), aka Patlabor: The Early Days
Gunbuster
Diebuster

I've watched and really enjoyed all of these except for Giant Robo, which I've neither watched nor enjoyed. I draw two conclusions from this: 1) I should probably watch Giant Robo (I kind of already knew this), and 2) I guess I like giant robots? Maybe Droyer was right all along....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

I've been posting on credit.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Rather, much like I should have been there to make you watch Utena, you should have been there to make me watch Giant Robo in the "tell each other what to watch" thread.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Allarion posted:

Yeah, but I like Macross Plus more! Giant Robo is really good too though, and hearing about how it could have ended always sounded really rad.

And it was good! And I strongly suspect Paranoia Agent will also be good, when I get to that. But because it's sitting there, judging me, I have to watch it before GR.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
No, you see, Patlabor's not really mecha, because

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Zodar posted:

The more 70s robot manga you read, the more you realize how ahead of the curve Ishikawa was. The first two Getter series follow Mazinger Z's monster-of-the-week schtick, but they're just... ferocious enough to make Nagai's work seem tame. All the characters are bold, dramatic archetypes, the pace never lets up, the tone veers wildly from horror to awe to comedy. Mazinger Z fades into something lukewarm and repetitive as it goes on; Getter shifts into higher, more bizarre gears whenever things start to get samey.

And then you have Go -- and later, Shin -- which is where Ishikawa came into his own as a draftsman and a storyteller. Go is a goddamn feat in the (admittedly limited) field of mecha manga, alongside YAS's Origin Gundam. There's really nothing else like it.

Ishikawa was a very prolific mangaka, but very little of his work was ever translated into English. I hope that changes in the coming years.

Whoa, that spread is loving awesome.